LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

1 minute ago, Arckos said:

We will get through this guys let's all put as much as we can

Then crank it up to full!

:)xD9_9:D:PB|

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

Got the Foldy Puff Jr RX 580 clocked up to a stable 1400mhz core to fold a little bit more faster for about an 8-10W increase in power use over 1350mhz. Which makes the biggest impact, core clocks or memory speed?

CC affects PPD much more, but lowering your memory speed can affect PPD, if you are a real enthusiast, I recommend you to OC CC as far as possible, then pull it back by two decrements (usually around 20-30 CC) and put your memory clock on stock or somewhere between +50 and +200. That is however for newer cards and usually Nvidia.

For AMD side, you really gotta be careful with that CC as a little bit too much of it can cause a heck of a lot of problems. My RX580 8gb ran at something about 1450CC if I remember correctly, but pushing it to 1500 CC would cause it to drop WUs from time to time.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

Three servers running Ubuntu server 18.04 LTS (Opteron 4226, 8gb RAM, Opteron 4122 8gb RAM, 2x Xeon E5-2620v4 32gb RAM). Opteron servers high use - jobs up to 1.5 days length. Xeon machine smashing its jobs - not lasting more than 1hr and not getting more. Looking for advice on how to get Xeon more use/larger jobs.

well I have two computers that I wanted to do this but my dad says hey they are going to hack into the other computers in the house

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

5 minutes ago, Favebook said:

CC affects PPD much more, but lowering your memory speed can affect PPD, if you are a real enthusiast, I recommend you to OC CC as far as possible, then pull it back by two decrements (usually around 20-30 CC) and put your memory clock on stock or somewhere between +50 and +200. That is however for newer cards and usually Nvidia.

For AMD side, you really gotta be careful with that CC as a little bit too much of it can cause a heck of a lot of problems. My RX580 8gb ran at something about 1450CC if I remember correctly, but pushing it to 1500 CC would cause it to drop WUs from time to time.

You are giving dangerous advice. Any OC for 24/7 operation at full load can lead to a dead card, aside from loss of warranty because consumer GPUs are not rated for 24/7 operation in the first place. Inexperienced user overclocks his card, forgets to check if the temps are still safe temps and it cooks itself to death within days. Reason number 2 not to OC is the risk of F@H being very sensitive to data consistency. Reason number 3 is the inefficiency per Watt compared to stock. Reason number 4 is the official advice from F@H to run GPUs either stock or undervolted.

1 minute ago, sub68 said:

well I have two computers that I wanted to do this but my dad says hey they are going to hack into the other computers in the house

Definitely not going to happen, but he should probably be more concerned about the increase in your power bill.

Finaly servers got connected so I could join, unfortunetely my second gpu does nothing for now (stays ready, does not get any work), I hope it will start folding too. Excited to contribute for something good.

1 minute ago, QuantumWho said:

Finaly servers got connected so I could join, unfortunetely my second gpu does nothing for now (stays ready, does not get any work), I hope it will start folding too. Excited to contribute for something good.

Welcome to the team!

2 minutes ago, Ahaber said:

Definitely not going to happen, but he should probably be more concerned about the increase in your power bill.

no he told me its going to hack our network

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Give your das this to read: https://foldingathome.org/about/

F@H has been around for almost 2 decades and is a trustworthy University of Stanford project.

Just now, sub68 said:

no he told me its going to hack our network

I know that's what he meant. That isn't going to happen from doing folding. But your power bill will go up.

Why is CPU not running? Has it not found a job?

Can see in local interface the following; 

Is there any way for me to help the cpu find work? or do i just have to wait?

image.png.d46de4393953166cf80683cef20ccea2.png

I know that's what he meant. That isn't going to happen from doing folding. But your power bill will go up.

I have a second gen i5 with a gt710

and a i5 3rd gen

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

We have verified about 20% of the sign ups so far,

Please be patient with us, this will take time. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, mrAvlund said:

Why is CPU not running? Has it not found a job?

Can see in local interface the following; 

Is there any way for me to help the cpu find work? or do i just have to wait?

Yeah it's waiting to find an assignment. The only thing you could do to help is pause and start if you don't get anything after a little while.

My Web Control seems to refresh every second. Any thoughts?

Just now, Spovox said:

My Web Control seems to refresh every second. Any thoughts?

Are you using chrome? If so see the blue bubble at the top of the page.

Just now, Der_fette_Vogel said:

First time folder; allready folding!

Congrats! and welcome to the team!

4 minutes ago, Ahaber said:

Are you using chrome? If so see the blue bubble at the top of the page.

I was using the Brave Browser switched to Chrome. Problem fixed.

8 minutes ago, Ahaber said:

Yeah it's waiting to find an assignment. The only thing you could do to help is pause and start if you don't get anything after a little while.

I checked the log and found this;

image.png.aa319c2b7ae687017368d8a497fbd648.png

Could it be windows defender blocking out the jobs?

3 minutes ago, Ahaber said:

Congrats! and welcome to the team!

Is there any reason, why my GPU is doing nothing yet? 

folding.PNG

2 minutes ago, TH1813254617 said:

Sure hope I'm not too late to the party. Let's take the fight to Covid-19 and crash the FAH servers again!

You are right on time!