Experienced builders, how do YOU start your PC builds?

MoominPie64

Hello all enthusiasts. If you know you need (or just want) a fresh rig, where do you begin?

Discussion arose between me and a friend last night.
Do you start with a specific product in mind? Do you see a great deal that goes with existing parts? Or do you simply start browsing the options on supplier/builder sites and see where the night takes you?

Personally I begin with the space/area I know the PC will go in. But, let me know your process, no wrong answers! :)

3 minutes ago, MoominPie64 said:

Do you see a great deal that goes with existing parts?

Ideally yes, that's basically how I got almost every PC build started before my current rig, and even then the only real "bad deal" I got was my GPU. I'm very frugal so generally I want to spend as little as possible to get as much performance as possible, most often settling on the higher spectrum of mid range components (GTX 770, GTX 970, GTX 1070, etc.). I make my budget very flexible and strongly base it around what's available to me, not just online but locally 

3 minutes ago, MoominPie64 said:

Or do you simply start browsing the options on supplier/builder sites and see where the night takes you?

That's the more fun way to do it but usually it results in a fantasy build

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

@MoominPie64

I first look at what the needs are for the computer to be built, plus what the budget is. Based on those two facts I pick components for the build.

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

4 minutes ago, MoominPie64 said:

Do you start with a specific product in mind?

Actually, yes and no.

I have only ever gotten/built one PC for myself

What I mean, I start with my use-case in mind. Then I think of what I need to get to satisfy that use-case, which usually means I look at main part(s) for good options.

My PC was built in the Summer of 2017, when Ryzen was relatively new. At that time, I was not happy with my previous PC (because it was a low-end PC from 2011) and I had some specific use-cases in mind.

I started planning my build before Ryzen came out, but had already decided I was going for the cheapest 8 core in the lineup. That ended up being the Ryzen 7 1700. Then I needed to get a videocard, which decided on the RX 580 because of its excellent price/performance at 1080p (my plan at the time). Unfortunately videocard mining happened, meaning the videocard became harder to get and more expensive, but it still held its own for over 2 years!

Then I wanted to play games at 4K and do more compute tasks, meaning I needed a stronger videocard. The 2070 Super then became the best option.

Proof I was planning a Ryzen build before it (and the AM4 boards) were out:

image.thumb.png.ea9e595a67830096476c7565f06dd4b7.png

Had to improvise on PCPartPicker :^)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Start with the purpose of the build and make the budget around that.

For instance a NAS build was obviously focus on the storage quality and PSU stability while a build for Rendering will have workstation components.

I watch a bunch of youtube videos first and look for a good price next. If I think something is a good deal I buy it. 

9 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:
  • one within my budget
  • another that's about 150% the budget

I've done this every time! I guess its subconscience. The baseline parts, then the possible upgrades, then the justification of some of them xD

I'd start with targets...
Budget
Resolution & Frame rate
Form for intended use
Upgrade path

52 minutes ago, MoominPie64 said:

Hello all enthusiasts. If you know you need (or just want) a fresh rig, where do you begin?

Do you start with a specific product in mind? Do you see a great deal that goes with existing parts? Or do you simply start browsing the options on supplier/builder sites and see where the night takes you?

Personally I begin with the space/area I know the PC will go in. But, let me know your process, no wrong answers! :)

First figure out what your trying to accomplish. Is it for gaming? General use? Server duties? Once I have that in mind I kinda work out things in my head a bit. Concerning size and think about what hardware I have on hand that might work well with the new build. 

Next I run over to PCparts picker. I generally buy from Amazon or Newegg so I have that set as prefrences on that site. One of the first things I like to do is pick a case. Because I need to know what limitations Im going to have. Then Ill do a bit of research based on what I need the machine to do. Come up with a max budget and a time frame. After that I play with builds on PCparts Picker until im satified with what I have. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

54 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

or they're noctua fans

Yeah when you spend 125+ on Noctua industrials

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

14 hours ago, MoominPie64 said:

I usually go budget, then what will the pc be used for.

Blake has arrived!!

Just your local tech geek!

Love to help!

14 hours ago, VersuS said:

I'd start with targets...
Budget
Resolution & Frame rate
Form for intended use
Upgrade path

Pretty much what I do as well. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

My first step is to consider what I want to gain from a build/upgrade: Does it make sense to do it yet. In the past (think late-90's and early 2000's), this was a more difficult prospect. Technology was changing so fast that even a higher-tier video card or processor was obsolete within a few months sometimes. Once 64-bit computing and multiple cores hit the scene this was less of a problem. 

Budget is always the next step though, because money doesn't grow on trees. A whole platform upgrade to gain a few percent here and there is foolish.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Only doing my second one now, so not experienced, but:

I usually start with comparing GPU price to performance, and compare it to my current one. I look at how high in the tier of GPU I am willing to go as higher you go from mid range, the worse perf/price usually is.

When I have decided that, I look the same way at CPU but compare how much need it is together with the decided GPU is too.

Then I look at mobo/RAM/PSU the same way, want something good but not overspend on s tiny improvement or one not needed for other components.

Case is mostly looks and price

Then lastly it's the Storage based on need/want/price and then cooling.

Finnally I look at the price it ended up and see if I am not willing to pay that/willing to pay more and possibly try to adjust things up/down based on that.

Like, I do not set a budget before that step.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Going against the consensus here...

I start with how big of a case I want, then what I want to do with it, and finally I budget for that. If the budget is higher than the funding immediately available, then I wait and save until I can afford the components I am after, or I purchase lower grade components, but with a logical upgrade path. Deferred gratification and all that.

On 3/8/2020 at 9:43 AM, VegetableStu said:

soon, the LCP ones

(gotta say, the blades of the A12x25 feels like steel in terms of hardness, but has the temperature characteristics of plastic o_o)

Fans are so overpriced in general, I was Building a pc for my coworker who was at one point a competitive fortnight player, and for all the fun Corsair icue rgb shit, it cost like 250$ For the fans, controllers, and rgb ?

I just use Noctua industrials on all my builds, running 3000 rpm 24/7, still more quite than my girlfriends shit beater pc from 2010 with cooler master stock fans

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Pick a CPU first. 

Everything else follows. Makes it easier.