Why do I need a dedicated video card

GregM

I need to build a new media PC for my 4K TV.  Everyone tells me I need a dedicated graphics card.

But, if I use a gen9 I5 that can do 4K @ 60Hz and a motherboard that has HDMI 2.0b and DP1.4 output why would I need a separate dedicated graphics card?

No, the i5's integrated GPU will be enough for media.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

For movies, you will be just fine!

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Thank you both

I'm looking at a ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming LGA1151-CL mITX Desktop Motherboard and a Intel Core i5 9600K 3.7GHz Coffee Lake R 6 Core 6 Thread LGA1151-CL and 16Gb or 2666Mhz RAM.  Do you think that will work?

2 minutes ago, GregM said:

Thank you both

I'm looking at a ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming LGA1151-CL mITX Desktop Motherboard and a Intel Core i5 9600K 3.7GHz Coffee Lake R 6 Core 6 Thread LGA1151-CL and 16Gb or 2666Mhz RAM.  Do you think that will work?

Are you just using the PC for video?

If so a AM3 or socket 775 build would be enough with a lower powered recent video card costing far, far less.

Ryzen 3600 4.33ghz . CM Hyper 212 Turbo. MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max. Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 @ 3200 CL 15 (OC). Powercolor RX 5700XT Red Dragon. FD Meshify S2. Crucial P1 M.2 1TB. Corsair Vengeance 650W 80+ Silver.

Core 2 Duo 3.4ghz . WenjuFeng cooler . ASUS P5G41C-M LX . Crucial 1066mhz 3GB DDR2 . Gainward Golden Sample HD 4850 . Coolermaster Elite 430 . Seagate 160GB IDE 7200RPM . BeQuiet System Power 9 400w 80+ Bronze

2 minutes ago, GregM said:

Thank you both

those are way too overkill for watching movies

14 minutes ago, GregM said:

why would I need a separate dedicated graphics card?

for performance, gaming in 3D worlds for example.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, cesh me inside b0z said:

Are you just using the PC for video?

If so a AM3 or socket 775 build would be enough with a lower powered recent video card costing far, far less.

Personally I would do Athlon 200GE, better for in case they decide to do something more intense with their pc later on

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

I am not a gamer and the only other thing that I might use it for is Youtube and Netflix (but they're both available on the Samsung QLED Q60 TV).

The selected motherboard, CPU and RAM will cost ~$800 AUD.  A GPU will cost me around $550 AUD and then I still need to pay for a motherboard, CPU and RAM. I can't see how that is economical. 

I have a video library on my NAS (~25Tb) all in MKV format, hence the reason for the PC to be connected to my Home Theatre system. The only software server that I have found to natively handle MKV is Twonky, but it's a bit flaky and doesn't update the list too well.

I would suggest one of the newer Ryzen CPU's, The cheapest with a intergrated GPU. A correct motherboard and RAM.
That would have the built in GPU have the latest decoding hardware so all 1080p and even 4K is rendered via hardware which will improve speed tremendously.

edit: Maybe something like this. And it might be a little more expensive than really necessary but this has an upgrade path so if you eventually wanna game on it you dont have to buy a whole new machine. And if just for video it should last you over a decade.

(Not 100% sure about the PSU, that might need some further research).
Oh forgot to check for motherboard spec, this one doesnt do 4K@60Hz. Im sure there are other that would.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

12 minutes ago, GregM said:

I am not a gamer and the only other thing that I might use it for is Youtube and Netflix (but they're both available on the Samsung QLED Q60 TV).

The selected motherboard, CPU and RAM will cost ~$800 AUD.  A GPU will cost me around $550 AUD and then I still need to pay for a motherboard, CPU and RAM. I can't see how that is economical. 

I have a video library on my NAS (~25Tb) all in MKV format, hence the reason for the PC to be connected to my Home Theatre system. The only software server that I have found to natively handle MKV is Twonky, but it's a bit flaky and doesn't update the list too well.

how would a gpu cost you 550 aud? There are much cheaper models that will workfine here.

You can get a much cheaper setup freo this use,a 2200g will be more than plenty, or even a basic arm system may be fine.

I had to buy a new GPU for one of my other PCs (msi GeForce RTX 2060) which doesn't even do 4K at 60fps and that cost $550AUD, so I'm guessing any card that does 4K at 60fps will cost more.  I would appreciate any info on cheaper GPUs that will do the job as that may change my decision.

Another factor for me is no overclocking as I want to keep the noise to a minimum which means everything needs to run cooler without lots of fans/noise.

20 minutes ago, GregM said:

I had to buy a new GPU for one of my other PCs (msi GeForce RTX 2060) which doesn't even do 4K at 60fps and that cost $550AUD, so I'm guessing any card that does 4K at 60fps will cost more.

The difference between playing a video file that's 4k 60fps and rendering a game at 4k 60fps is massive. With a video file, all the hard work is already done. What makes you think an RTX 2060 can't play a video at 4k?

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 hour ago, GregM said:

I need to build a new media PC for my 4K TV.  Everyone tells me I need a dedicated graphics card.

But, if I use a gen9 I5 that can do 4K @ 60Hz and a motherboard that has HDMI 2.0b and DP1.4 output why would I need a separate dedicated graphics card?

You can use a gpu to increase the quality of videos. I use one in my htpc with MPC-BE and MadVr.

I have a brand new, just purchased 1660 Ti from Mwave if you're interested.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

Yes, the RTX 2060 can play 4K but only at 30fps.

My initial question was to make sure I can run 4k @ 60fps via the CPU and on a motherboard that outputs hdmi 2.0 and dp 1.4.

Part of that is to reduce costs, but also to reduce noise and to have a simple build. I suspect putting in a GPU will increase heat and cause more noise with cooling.

I am looking into the Ryzen CPUs, but it appears only a couple have integrated graphics (eg. AMD Ryzen™ 5 3400G with Radeon™ RX Vega 11 Graphics) @ $225 AUD and the associated motherboard is expensive (ASUS ROG Strix X570-I Gaming AM4 mITX Desktop Motherboard) @ $439 AUD, so the difference in price appears to be minimal.  I suspect that the integrated graphics is better on the Ryzen, so thank you all for suggesting AMD.

As you can see I'm not trying to do this totally on the cheap.

8 hours ago, GregM said:

I5 should be enough, in fact you don't really need a 9th gen one as 6 cores is a bit overkill for simple mediaplayback. Also, if you don't need HDR support then you don't need HDMI 2.0b, older gens that support 4k60 should be fine.

10 hours ago, GregM said:

I had to buy a new GPU for one of my other PCs (msi GeForce RTX 2060) which doesn't even do 4K at 60fps and that cost $550AUD, so I'm guessing any card that does 4K at 60fps will cost more.  I would appreciate any info on cheaper GPUs that will do the job as that may change my decision.

Another factor for me is no overclocking as I want to keep the noise to a minimum which means everything needs to run cooler without lots of fans/noise.

Ive got a previous version GTX 1060 6GB and that already does 4K 60Hz decoding.

If it can actualy output that res and Hz is up to the connection.

Theres a huuuge difference between hardware video decoding and ability to play games.

ps, hardest part is finding a reasonably priced motherboard with HDMI2.0

there is a big difference between decoding playback, and encoding on the fly to stream to tvs in a compatible format. encoding video puts much more stress on the CPU, 4k i imagine would be impossible without a very high end CPU.

whereas, adding a video card especially one that supports NVENC is actually designed for this and can do it quite well, so this is the age old question... depends.

if you are just playing back video and outputing through HDMI thats fine using on board video.

if you are  re-encoding and streaming video for DLNA enabled devices, across the network. well, an external card would be very good idea to accelerate the encoding workload and ensure no stutters and framedrops. GPU (if the software is optimized) can accelerate video encoding dramatically compared to just having a CPU.

12 hours ago, GregM said:

What kind of NAS are you running? 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

this should do just fine. motherboard has both dp and hdmi.

7 hours ago, boggy77 said:

this should do just fine. motherboard has both dp and hdmi.

That motherboard wont do 4K@60Hz over HDMI tho.

I'm running a QNAP TS-453 Pro with 2Gb RAM and 4*8Tb WD Red HDD in RAID 5.  I also have a couple of 12TB WD RED HDDs in my main PC for other movies that aren't as popular.

Thanks for everyone's help on this.  It is interesting to see the preference for AMD CPU's.  I don't have a problem with that and am still investigating.

Currently, I've gone back to looking at Plex as a solution that doesn't require the purchase of a PC.  I was sure that I read (sometime ago) that Plex wouldn't handle MKV, but I downloaded the current version and it seems to handle MKV OK, although I suspect some movies may fail (I have over 1100 movies/TV Series in DVD and Bluray).  If there's only a few that fail I can just convert those.  I think the QNAP isn't powerful enough to adequately drive Plex Server, but it seemed worthwhile given both my Samsung TVs can have the Plex App installed. I have no plans to upgrade my NAS.

I ran Plex for a while today and apart from some initial buffering at the start of the movie, it seems to work OK, but with only 1 movie being played at a time.

As stated above, if I do go down the PC path, it must have an HDMI 2.0a or better output as there are no DP inputs on the TVs.

Hi tech.guru

Thanks for info.  If I do go down the PC path and the CPU/motherboard solution is insufficient, I can still purchase and install a video card.  That's the backstop plan.