Do you have a component or peripheral that goes with you from build to build?

Marbo
1 hour ago, NineEyeRon said:

Pretty much replaced everything in the last three years. Only my wired ancient Xbox controller is still with me, had that for a long time.

I keep seeing people mentioning stuff and realising... oh yeah... I've got one of those too.  Xbox 360 type controller that I bought way back in 2010, still works perfectly to this day.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

12 hours ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

I keep seeing people mentioning stuff and realising... oh yeah... I've got one of those too.  Xbox 360 type controller that I bought way back in 2010, still works perfectly to this day.

Yes, someone mentioned a 256mb sd card. I'm pretty sure if I searched long enough I'd find a 16mb one. 

Also hdd, I've got a few in a draw that I've replaced over the years ranging from 40gb to 160gb. Would be interesting to go though them and see what's on them, if anything. 

...most of my peripherals actually transferred from my old build to my current one, with the exception of replacing my mouse because it ultimately fucked itself. For reference, I have a Corsair Vengeance K65 that I bought in 2016 and a Corsair Sabre RGB that fits my hand perfectly.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

my entire flight sim rigging.

it's composed of

• 24" Samsung Monitor
  • Saitek x-52 
  • Track IR 5
  • DSD Trackzilla switchbox
  • 8" mini monitor
  • Coolermaster Pro Keys s
  • Logitech g400
  • DIY wooden monitor stand that houses the trackzilla and smaller monitor underneath everything

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 hours ago, Arika S said:

my entire flight sim rigging.

it's composed of

• 24" Samsung Monitor
  • Saitek x-52 
  • Track IR 5
  • DSD Trackzilla switchbox
  • 8" mini monitor
  • Coolermaster Pro Keys s
  • Logitech g400
  • DIY wooden monitor stand that houses the trackzilla and smaller monitor underneath everything

Now this makes complete sense. 

As the software improves you might upgrade the pc but unless the controls break there's very little to gain from changing them. 

I've been using the same 1080p Dell 22" monitor that came with a Vostro package deal I bought in 2010, currently hooked to it's 4th build. I keep considering an upgrade, but 1080p is fine and I am too cheap to buy a variable-refresh gaming monitor. 

My secondary computer has one of these blue Microsoft optical mice hooked-up, that I've used since maybe 2002? It's outlasted everything, when the world as we know it ends, there will only be cockroaches and blue Microsoft optical mice roaming the planet.

41R47M9G7KL.jpg

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Corsair HX850 Power supply... 

It's seen 560TI SLI, 970 SLI, Phenom, Phenom II and FX

if we are talking internals, for me its usually my harddrives/ssds that just keep moving build to build... till i broke the connector on it, had an old 40gb sata drive from several builds back..usually my psu as well as i usually get one that will last a good while.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700x  (evga 240 AIO cooling)
PBO Settings:
Boost Override CPU: +200
CO: -17 all core
PPT: 140
TDC:  110
EDC: 150
Scalar: Auto

Mobo: Asrock x570 steel legend wifi ax

GPU: asrock challenger 7800xt 16 gb

Ram: 32 gb @3600 mhz

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-1000

Storage: 1tb Samsung 860 ssd, 1tb nvme, 2tb Hitachi HDD, 3tb HDD for media

Display: Samsung 27" CHG70 1440p QLED Monitor

Monitor.  That seems to be ending though. :/  

my next rig will be a complete redo and I’ll get my old but still very nice monitor going again on an old card and either pack it away as a backup or sell it as a unit.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

pretty sure every computer i've had so far has use the same shitty logitech k120 keeb and either a LG monitor or an old samsung syncmaster 220wm, sometimes speakers too.

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

10 hours ago, Marbo said:

Yes, someone mentioned a 256mb sd card. I'm pretty sure if I searched long enough I'd find a 16mb one. 

Also hdd, I've got a few in a draw that I've replaced over the years ranging from 40gb to 160gb. Would be interesting to go though them and see what's on them, if anything. 

I've still got some IDE hard drives kicking around in drawers, not to mention a KVM switch that I used to use about 17-18yrs ago. including all of thee cables... but it's only for PS2 mouse/keyboard and VGA video

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

1 hour ago, it_dont_work said:

A benq 22" 16:10 monitor, only a secondary these days, but its just the right res and size to read from. 

I've got a BenQ 22" 1080p 60hz LED monitor that I bought about 10yrs ago... Was using it right up until a couple of months ago as part of a triple monitor setup with 2x 27" Acer 75hz... Used it in portrait mode for displaying some websites that still insist on having tiny centre aligned columns only that fill perhaps 30% of the screen and increasing the scale only serves to make the header fill the whole damn screen.  :)

But I picked up a 144hz curved 27" as my main screen and shifted the other 2x 27" over to the left... So now it's redundant and I'll probably give it away to anyone who wants it. It's only got VGA and DVI inputs.

I have a mousepad that has four kittens on it that I picked up when I deployed overseas in 2011. It's been a part of every PC upgrade since, the only constant really. It looks pretty rough but I refuse to swap it out; I'm convinced the kittens are a good luck charm ;)

On 1/21/2020 at 3:22 AM, Marbo said:

For me it's my mouse. A Logitech G300. Everything else has changed 3-4 times since I got it. I know it's not the best out there but it's been with me for so long (relatively speaking for tech) 

I couldn't imagine using another now. I even find myself at work trying to press buttons that aren't there. 

I'm even considering looking for a nos one now, as back up, just in case it dies on me. 

I tend to reuse anything that still works. Mice , keyboard, SSD, HDD, etc. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I have parts that get transferred or reused all the time. Had an EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 PSU that got used on a few rigs from 2014 to 2019. Drives get reused all the time. Depending on whether or not you see these all different computers, my GTX 1080 has been in a few systems (1 unique system then an ever evolving setup involving 2 cases, 3 CPUs and 5 motherboards). My Logitech G11 keyboard saw a couple of computers and my G710 saw a few more. I've reused cases a few times.

However, nothing compares to my old Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional. I bought it in early 2008. I only just replaced it 2 days ago with a Sound BlasterX AE-5 Pure. If it winds up being too buggy though, the ole X-Fi may find it's way back in.

7 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I tend to reuse anything that still works. Mice , keyboard, SSD, HDD, etc. 

hdd tend to last me about 1 1/2 builds before they're full. Still on a 500gb drive, don't like all that empty space sitting there. Probably next 6 months or so my secondary will be upgraded to a 1tb, anything relevant on the old one transferred over then it will be archived in the draw of forgotten drives. 

Maybe not the most cost effective way of doing things, but I see some logic in it. 

On 1/22/2020 at 9:05 PM, Anomnomnomaly said:

I've got a BenQ 22" 1080p 60hz LED monitor that I bought about 10yrs ago... Was using it right up until a couple of months ago as part of a triple monitor setup with 2x 27" Acer 75hz... Used it in portrait mode for displaying some websites that still insist on having tiny centre aligned columns only that fill perhaps 30% of the screen and increasing the scale only serves to make the header fill the whole damn screen.  :)

But I picked up a 144hz curved 27" as my main screen and shifted the other 2x 27" over to the left... So now it's redundant and I'll probably give it away to anyone who wants it. It's only got VGA and DVI inputs.

No this is a fp222w from 2005

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

I still have a Shuttle bare-bone Athlon 2500XP based system (Barton core) from 2005, including the LCD monitor purchased at the same time. Although technically still operational, it's sitting idly in it's original box (the Shuttle, not the monitor) as I don't have any use for it ATM. Slightly newer are the Cherry Linux-flavoured keyboard I'm typing this message on as well as the Logitech Trackball mouse. Haven't upgraded my systems (yes, plural) since 2014 or so, due to lack of funds, but I'm hoping at least one Zen2 based system could be procured in the future (currently running FM2 and FM1 based systems, although some old-ish Intel is also in use)

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Oddly enough my storage.  My old mechanical drives just keep going and going so I use them as bulk storage for easy access to photos, music etc.

The thing right now would be my Ducky Keyboard and my Microlab Solo 7c speakers

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

PSU and HDD have been with me since I built my first PC. As for peripherals, I've had my main monitor, a Dell G2410T for a very long time, and although it hasn't been with me since my first rig was built, I've been using my G403 for a long time.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

i kept an antec P183 for over a decade, and it housed 3 systems.

a Samsung 213t lcd monitor i used for many years as a main display as a 1600x1200 23 inch IPS lcd display was almost unheard of in 2003, its only competitor was a 22 inch dell.(this was back when 15 and 17 inch 4:3 aspect lcd's were the norm) i used it for over a decade in total. for many years as main display then a secondary display when 24 inch, 1920x1200 displays became commonplace.

in modern times, i alternate hardware upgrades, in a tick/tock of cpu/main board/ram, then gpu. usually every 18-24 months assuming nothing dies unexpectedly.

my newest case is a phanteks enthoo evolv x. i plan to keep it for a long time too.

and of course my trusty ikea desk.  its been around more than 15 years. and its still nearly perfect.

and in a box i have a logitech z-5500 5.1 speaker set. still sounds awesome. no room currently to use it