About the Vincero sponsor spot in Techlinked...

dbx10

I'm not trying to stop LTT from making a buck, and if Vincero is your thing, good for you. Hence, I disclaim that everything below is my opinion, based on educated guesses and factual information. Best of all, it's free to read and even free-er to ignore. Use at will.

That being said: 

• You can buy some of their watches without the branding, bulk from Alibaba for less than half the price;
  • For the price of a Vincero you can snag a Hamilton, Seiko, Orient, Citizen, Timex, Invicta, either quartz or automatic;
  • Vincero watches are made from cheaper materials than similarly priced offerings from other companies mentioned above, and don't feel nearly as solid or durable; 
  • Despite Vincero advertising their products as luxury, their watches scratch easily, lack in quality and do not feel anywhere near a cheaper, entry-level Seiko 5. 

The takeaway here I guess is that much like Michael Kors, Calvin Klein, Guess, Tommy Hilfiger, and others, Vincero is putting a brand on a $30 watch and marking it up as "luxury". IMO, you don't get luxury under a thousand bucks when it comes to wristwatches. Not new, anyway. And in the case of Vincero, the sad part is not only do you not get luxury, you don't even get what you should for the price. Hell, I bought my dad an automatic dive watch from Invicta. The one with a Seiko NH-35A movement... For under a hundred CANADIAN PESOS. A very nice watch for the price, and with a Seiko automatic movement, absolutely dependable.

My last argument is: So close, yet so far...
So close to a truly nice watch you'll WANT to wear, meaning in some cases you're $50 away from buying a Seiko SKX... a hundred away from a nice Orient dress watch or a Citizen eco-drive... At that point it's just not worth spending that much for a bloody Vincero. Just save for another two weeks, until the next pay check, or the next time your wife lets your wallet and your testicles out of her purse for a walk. You'll thank yourself.

Below I have screenshotted 30 seconds worth of shopping on Amazon. I have tried most of these watches, they are worth much more than asking price in my estimation.qkq3pv5zrvdluw2o6oxf.png

This smug looking italian man explains exerything I just said about Daniel Wellington, another "fashion brand" to avoid, but in a british accent. Meaning of course it is much more credible.

Welp, we are (most of us) smart enough not to buy just because it's a sponsored link, and we know that Lmg is being paid to speak information about how good the watches are.

Welcome to post 1980's, advertisement is retarded. 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

18 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

Welp, we are (most of us) smart enough not to buy just because it's a sponsored link, and we know that Lmg is being paid to speak information about how good the watches are.

Welcome to post 1980's, advertisement is retarded. 

You're right, I should just make a watch discussion thread

1 minute ago, dbx10 said:

You're right, I should just make a watch discussion thread

Sorry, not trying to shoot you down. I find it dumb that money is the main reason for everything now.

that Seiko snk795 looks pretty nice, never bought my own watch, but I inherited a few and that one kinda catches my eye.

AMD blackout rig

3 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

Sorry, not trying to shoot you down. I find it dumb that money is the main reason for everything now.

that Seiko snk795 looks pretty nice, never bought my own watch, but I inherited a few and that one kinda catches my eye.

My first seiko is the SRPA77K1, I still wear it on the weekends. My current daily is a black SKX with a leather nato strap on. It's a gateway drug. ?
Next time my girl lets my wallet out on a walk I might splurge on the dream Squale?

1 minute ago, dbx10 said:

I might splurge on the dream Squale?

Damn, I can't see myself spending $900 on a watch ?

$100 seems like a decent price zone, I was raised broke so the idea of buying a watch for even $100 seems fucking crazy to me, but I feel like it will last me quite a long time. ?

AMD blackout rig

IMHO, Vincero only exists because online shopping is very confusing. Too many choices, too many retailers. 

Vincero watches are comparable to Fossil in quality, yet they cost twice as much. And Fossil watches have been around for decades. You can just walk into a shop and buy one. In recent years, Fossil released some unique and interesting designs. I really like my Forrester. I really like Swatch as well. 

I have been watching « watch reviews » for several years. And what a bunch a snobs! Every influencer praises nothing but Timex and Seiko in the lower price brackets. Yeah, they’re nice watches but their designs are a bit too conservative for my liking. There are other brands too, you know? 

And I’ll save you some time, just buy a Rolex or Seiko and ignore these YouTube watch snobs. And it’s gotta be mechanical, otherwise why bother? That’s all they seem to talk about. 

And what’s wrong with buying a Vincero anyways!? You’ll certainly get better value elsewhere. But a watch is meant to be worn and don’t let other people make choices for you. 

tl;dr Watch people are snobs. If you criticize Vincero and tell people to buy Seiko instead, congrats! You’re a snob. Snob. 

2 hours ago, kokakolia said:

IMHO, Vincero only exists because online shopping is very confusing. Too many choices, too many retailers. 

Vincero watches are comparable to Fossil in quality, yet they cost twice as much. And Fossil watches have been around for decades. You can just walk into a shop and buy one. In recent years, Fossil released some unique and interesting designs. I really like my Forrester. I really like Swatch as well. 

I have been watching « watch reviews » for several years. And what a bunch a snobs! Every influencer praises nothing but Timex and Seiko in the lower price brackets. Yeah, they’re nice watches but their designs are a bit too conservative for my liking. There are other brands too, you know? 

And I’ll save you some time, just buy a Rolex or Seiko and ignore these YouTube watch snobs. And it’s gotta be mechanical, otherwise why bother? That’s all they seem to talk about. 

And what’s wrong with buying a Vincero anyways!? You’ll certainly get better value elsewhere. But a watch is meant to be worn and don’t let other people make choices for you. 

tl;dr Watch people are snobs. If you criticize Vincero and tell people to buy Seiko instead, congrats! You’re a snob. Snob. 

If you're not a watch snob, you clearly don't care about brand. So why pay twice as much for a watch with 'Vincero' printed on it when you could buy EXACTLY THE SAME watch for half the price without their name on.

That's the issue

I'm not a watch snob at all, in fact I honestly don't care. I used my Mi Band as a 'watch' for good few years.

Before that I had a few £50 Accurist Skymasters that I would just replace every time I broke one. They were decent enough watches, I only went with them because they had the digital and analogue displays, plus I just liked the look.

I have about 4 or 5 of them in a drawer somewhere with smashed glass or LCDs. 

Spoiler

spacer.png

While I do appreciate watches, I don't trust myself enough to not break them as I spend half my time working on the house so I refuse to spend more than £100 on a watch

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

Yeah, both Vincero and MVMT are guilty of this crap, but people buy into it for some reason.

@LinusTech are you guys aware of this?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

4 hours ago, kokakolia said:

"Watch reviews" are not a reference, and I would not advise just Seiko and Rolex. Not only because there are so many more brands of well established watch makers around other than these two, but also because you'll be hard pressed to find a Rolex under $5000. Even though they are not recognizable brands to non watch fans, I can list 10 off the top of my head: Blancpain, Orient, Omega, Squale, Breitling, Tissot, Bulova, Hamilton, Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe, Oris, Herodia, Tag Heuer. 

The best part is among all of those, there are offerings at every price range. Want a $100 000 gold Patek? Sure. Knock yourself out with it, if you want. Want a dependable diver under a grand? That's over half these brands. Daily under 250? Again, over half these brands have offerings.

"Why bother getting anything if it's not automatic" is also bullshit. If you're going to spend a thousand dollars on a watch, sure, get a nice auto. Otherwise there are so many more out there that have not only innovated but surpassed expectations over the past century. Bulova's Accutron, Quartz in general, Citizen's Eco-drive, Seiko's kinetic, Spring-Drive, Hi-Beat movements... I'm forgetting some of course. 

If you do construction, go skiing, etc, and you just want to know what time it is without pulling out your phone all the time, get a G-Shock. There are dozens of models of G-Shock watches out there.

Scared to lose it for the 7th time? Casio F91W. They are literally $10 and no one will snob you for having one. It's a watch, not a fashion statement. Which is exactly the basis of my initial argument. 

I'd be interested to know if any of LMG's staff actually wears a Vincero watch regularly. How else would they know whether or not these watches are actually decent? Sure, you can give them a once-over or read reviews before approving the ad spot but what if they fall apart or keep horrible time.   

55 minutes ago, Founders said:

I'd be interested to know if any of LMG's staff actually wears a Vincero watch regularly. How else would they know whether or not these watches are actually decent? Sure, you can give them a once-over or read reviews before approving the ad spot but what if they fall apart or keep horrible time.   

A $10 quartz watch will keep time, so I don't think that's the issue here. I don't think a Miyota(Citizen) quartz movement is necessarily indicative of quality either, as they retail at $2.50. Imagine what they pay for those.

The other issues I see with Vincero specifically is the cost cutting. Coating mineral glass with a few microns of Sapphire instead of using a sapphire crystal, we're talking a $10 difference for people like you and I who shop retail. They again have purchasing power and still decide to cut costs there. They use the same type of steel used in MVMT watches, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but the finish is not on par with a watch over a hundred USD. The bracelet is not something I notice too much, as I often tend to swap them for a NATO strap.

I do love my NATO straps.

Spoiler

h0jreknrs448wvex3u2b.jpg

If Vincero sold their watches for anything less than $100, they wouldn’t get any attention. They would be dismissed as cheap watches. The perceived value is more important than the actual value when it comes to watches. Any quartz watch is very reliable and accurate. You really have to get out of your way to manufacture a bad quartz watch. 

Further, we aren’t completely certain that Alibaba watches are 100% equivalent to Vincero. You have to facture in the cost of marketing, distribution and customer service. 

All I’m saying is: I don’t equate Vincero = bad. They’re just overpriced. 

We see this feedback once in a while and from what we can tell the complaints about Vincero are pretty much entirely focused on the bang for the buck of the watches. 

From my point of view when you buy anything there are a lot of ways to get 'value' from the merchant. You're paying for the bill of materials, the labor, R&D, logistics, service, style, convenience, brand, etc etc etc. Everyone determines the value of a product differently. 

If we're going full "real talk", from my point of view any watch is a personal statement - nothing more. If someone's personal statement is "I appreciate the work Vincero does curating nice looking watches that are good enough for me and I like to associate my personal identity with the brand they've built" then is that REALLY any different from someone else's personal statement that goes "I only care about what's under the hood. This thing may be unfashionable but it's built like a tank in ways most people will never know or see"? 

If the complaints about Vincero centered on their customer service or that the watches keep terrible time or something, we would drop them like a hot potato.

They don't. 

The complaints are from non-Vincero customers who can't fathom why anyone else would like them or buy them. 

That position isn't wrong, but buying a Vincero watch is equally not wrong. 

At the end of the day we are all paying too many dollars for too much materialistic crap. Want to make a statement that means something? Don't buy a Vincero or a Seiko or a Casio. Go find something second hand and save it from a landfill. 

Edit: to be clear, I'm not taking some kind of moral high ground. I throw out my water bottle when recycling it isn't reasonably convenient, I have plenty of junk in my house made of non-renewable resources, and I travel by air. I'm killing the planet like most people. 

The point I'm making is that to me this whole 'which watch' argument is like watching fan boys argue about BTS or AMD vs Intel or whatever. 

@dbx10Seiko and Rolex hold their value well and go up in price with time. Most other brands you mentioned don’t (so they’re dead in the eyes of a snob). 

Yup, same is true for a lot of companies that market products in the US; they're simply available in China, they get a different stamp on them, and off they go. Have you ever seen the "msrp" of an Invicta watch? Ridiculous. They're basically made to be the "oh, I have a $1,200 watch" when really you've paid significantly less, because no one has ever paid $1,200 for an Invicta. Invicta, really, is no better than Vincero. They're the same idea. Overly inflated pricing for a less-than-quality item. I don't think you can find a Hamilton for the same price.

Interestingly enough, even that Squale can likely be built for next to nothing in China. There are areas you can go where you pick out everything; they bring out catalogs, with thousands of different casings, movements, etc and you simply piece together the watch you want from that. It's how a ton of micro companies work. Nothing about it is overly unique.

Some people just want a nice looking watch, and they don't want to spend that extra $50 or $100. For how often they'll wear it, especially a dress watch, it's unnecessary. It's more of a fashion piece than an essential item. Assuming what people will like wearing is rather pretentious of you. The number of people that pay $1,000 for a watch is incredibly low, and most people are perfectly fine paying the lower amount that Vincero watches cost. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, LinusTech said:

Don't buy a Vincero or a Seiko or a Casio.

Whoa whoa whoa - leave Casio out of this. I beat the living shit out of their watches and have never had any issues what-so-ever. I only chose to replace my watches for no other reason than "just because" and I still have them both, they both still work flawlessly and I should probably start switching between the three I own now, just for fun.

18 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Whoa whoa whoa - leave Casio out of this. I beat the living shit out of their watches and have never had any issues what-so-ever. I only chose to replace my watches for no other reason than "just because" and I still have them both, they both still work flawlessly and I should probably start switching between the three I own now, just for fun.

Well, the community of snobs around watches is starting to hype Casio up. Pick them up while they’re still cheap. 

All I’m saying is, you’d be in the minority for dissing Casio. Casio can do no ill. Casio is as sacred as Seiko or Rolex (for different reasons). 

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

Yup, same is true for a lot of companies that market products in the US; they're simply available in China, they get a different stamp on them, and off they go. Have you ever seen the "msrp" of an Invicta watch? Ridiculous. They're basically made to be the "oh, I have a $1,200 watch" when really you've paid significantly less, because no one has ever paid $1,200 for an Invicta. Invicta, really, is no better than Vincero. They're the same idea. Overly inflated pricing for a less-than-quality item. I don't think you can find a Hamilton for the same price.

Interestingly enough, even that Squale can likely be built for next to nothing in China. There are areas you can go where you pick out everything; they bring out catalogs, with thousands of different casings, movements, etc and you simply piece together the watch you want from that. It's how a ton of micro companies work. Nothing about it is overly unique.

Some people just want a nice looking watch, and they don't want to spend that extra $50 or $100. For how often they'll wear it, especially a dress watch, it's unnecessary. It's more of a fashion piece than an essential item. Assuming what people will like wearing is rather pretentious of you. The number of people that pay $1,000 for a watch is incredibly low, and most people are perfectly fine paying the lower amount that Vincero watches cost. 

Gonna have to MAJORLY disagree with you there, Invicta makes dive watches with both Seiko and Miyota's quartz and automatic movements for anywhere between 75 and 200 USD. 

I mean just look at this. A Seiko NH-35A in a premium enough feeling case, for 75CAD. Unbeatable value for money.

I've never held their luxury products personally, because I simply don't like them. Too gaudy for my taste. However, they do make them apparently.

On 1/18/2020 at 2:47 PM, kokakolia said:

Well, the community of snobs around watches is starting to hype Casio up. Pick them up while they’re still cheap. 

All I’m saying is, you’d be in the minority for dissing Casio. Casio can do no ill. Casio is as sacred as Seiko or Rolex (for different reasons). 

Shows how little I know about watches. I always thought Casio was one of the low quality brands that any kid can buy with their birthday money. I thought they were low tier with the likes of Timex.

But I'm a smartwatch or no watch kind of guy so I guess that's why I know so little.

2 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

Shows how little I know about watches. I always though Casio was one of the low quality brands that any kid can buy with their birthday money. I thought they were low tier with the likes of Timex.

But I'm a smartwatch or no watch kind of guy so I guess that's why I know so little.

Timex is also getting hyped up to infinity by snobs. Last year, Timex re-released the « GMT Pepsi » for around $200 (let’s be honest, it’s just your regular Timex it’s not even worth half as much). That model was out of stock everywhere and sold for $750 on eBay. 

11 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

Timex is also getting hyped up to infinity by snobs. Last year, Timex re-released the « GMT Pepsi » for around $200 (let’s be honest, it’s just your regular Timex it’s not even worth half as much). That model was out of stock everywhere and sold for $750 on eBay. 

Interesting. I honestly find all this to be a little amusing since I consider a watch pointless and redundant if it isn't smart. Don't get me wrong, I get the whole art, jewelry, and bragging rights aspect of them but I can spend $300 on a smart watch that does way more than any $10k USD Rolex that only tells time lol. I certainly do appreciate the way some of these watches look. Some are absolutely gorgeous but again, all it does is tell time. That's just me though.

That said, I did watch a video awhile back about some of the mechanisms inside wrist watches and it is quite impressive how complex such a miniature machine can be.

On 1/18/2020 at 9:26 PM, TempestCatto said:

Whoa whoa whoa - leave Casio out of this. 

I think you failed to finish reading the paragraph? The point was buying anything (new).

Anyway, am I the only one who can't stop seeing the "Vincero" brand as the "abidas" of Viceroy? :P  

I dont see anything wrong with them.

Alot of people buy things due to brand name alone. Not due to quality or functionality.

If people like the brand and have the money they can buy what they want.

Personally I think its dumb to spend a shit load on any watch. They all do the same thing. Ive got a Rolex Explorer that my buddys dad gave me after my second child was born. Never worn it. Stays in the gun safe.

But if someones into watches. then they can spend their money how they like.

2 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

Interesting. I honestly find all this to be a little amusing since I consider a watch pointless and redundant if it isn't smart. Don't get me wrong, I get the whole art, jewelry, and bragging rights aspect of them but I can spend $300 on a smart watch that does way more than any $10k USD Rolex that only tells time lol. I certainly do appreciate the way some of these watches look. Some are absolutely gorgeous but again, all it does is tell time. That's just me though.

That said, I did watch a video awhile back about some of the mechanisms inside wrist watches and it is quite impressive how complex such a miniature machine can be.

The Rolex should actually sell for $3000. Not $10k. These watches are mass produced like Seikos. But the level of quality, performance and finish is costly. That said, Rolex is producing artificial scarcity to drive up the prices on the second hand market. It’s disgusting. If you spend $10k on a watch, it better be made by the finest Swiss watchmakers in the world. Something like an H. Moser. Not mass produced like Rolex.