Mozilla Set To display Ads Within Firefox

GoodBytes

Mozilla Foundation announced today that it will display ads for new users in Firefox Tiles screen when you open a new tab.

Currently, when a new user opens a new tab, they see this:

blank_newtab-252x213.jpg

(Click to enlarge)

Instead of the empty tiles, there will be marked as ads, pre-packaged content, which will disappear over time as more web sites are visited.

The newest program is one we’re calling Directory Tiles, which is designed to improve the first-time-with-Firefox experience.

Their tiles – those nine rectangles that populate over time with the most frequent and recent websites they visit – are empty. The new tab page isn’t delivering any value for them.

Directory Tiles will instead suggest pre-packaged content for first-time users. Some of these tile placements will be from the Mozilla ecosystem, some will be popular websites in a given geographic location, and some will be sponsored content from hand-picked partners to help support Mozilla’s pursuit of our mission. The sponsored tiles will be clearly labeled as such, while still leading to content we think users will enjoy.

We are excited about Directory Tiles because it has inherent value to our users, it aligns with our vision of a better Internet through trust and transparency, and it helps Mozilla become more diversified and sustainable as a project. While we have not worked out the entire product roadmap, we are beginning to talk to content partners about the opportunity, and plan to start showing Directory Tiles to new Firefox users as soon as we have the user experience right.

Note For Clarification:

The ads in Firefox will disappear as you visit more web sites. which will fill the page with your pages instead of the ads. Just imagine that the empty spots in the above picture will be sites like Facebook, Twitter, or how ever is willing to pay money to have their website appear on that tile layout when you make a new tab. The ads will be clearly identified. If you already using Firefox, and you upgrade to the new version, you will NOT see them, as you already have your own pages. So you will never see the ads

Source: https://blog.mozilla.org/advancingcontent/2014/02/11/publisher-transformation-with-users-at-the-center/

It would seem that the Mozilla Foundation is not getting much donations from people.

Well, as long as it doesn't get like Opera 5, where they put an ad bar in the web browser itself, showing all the time:

Opera_7.02.png

(Opera 7 pictured bellow. Since version 5 of Opera, the web browser put an ad bar, which would be removed if you purchased the web browser. Opera later removed the ad bar.)

Or tracking you, like Chrome, even in private mode, for targeted ads as per the license agreement of the web browser.

I think I am fine with it. What do you guys think?

You hear that? That's the sound of thousands of adblock users switching from firefox.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

We're trying to get away from ads, Mozilla. STAHP IT. I wish Midori worked right in Xubuntu...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Still a better browser than IE

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Well, good thing I recently switched back to Chrome then, eh?   

COMIC SANS

This.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

WaterFox master race

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

I don't even use those tabs (ie there's an option to hide those ad's until your own most common sites replace it)

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Well, good thing I recently switched back to Chrome then, eh?

Google tracks every web site that you go, even in private mode, and associates it with you as soon as you login to your Google account(s), and makes a profile of you for targeted ads, and sell that information, as per the license agreement.

Google tracks every web site that you go, even in private mode, and associates it with you as soon as you login to your Google account(s), and makes a profile of you for targeted ads, and sell that information, as per the license agreement.

They sell your anonymous data. 

same thing with Microsoft.

no one is the good guy, it's just that Google has better services in general.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

i dont see this as a bad thing. The ads will be gone within the first few minuets of opening it up anyway. Hopefully the extra money they get from those ads will help them improve the browser even more.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

ಠ_ಠ

So will I have to start removing the ad code and compiling Firefox myself now?

I don't have a problem with this as long as these conditions are filled:

- They only fill up those tiles and as user goes to more sites or fill up those tiles with users bookmarks

- it isn't intrusive or annoying in anyway such as they make sounds, pop out or activate when scrolling over them.

Main point don't annoy me with ads, they have to be subtile.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

ಠ_ಠ

So will I have to start removing the ad code and compiling Firefox myself now?

You won't see them, as you already have websites on that new tab page (Directory Tile)

Well good thing I have the Inori skin for IE set up.. I can go ahead and surf the web in a painful manor, but at least it won't have adds on the tabs page and a cute girl will keep me company.. (Sort of..) I really don't think it'll be too big of a deal unless they have a hundred Congratulations You've Won! ads..

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

I never liked the new tab page... but fuck that adblock plus ftw.

Signatures are stupid.

In fact it is possible to completely disable the new tab page so unless they revert that functionality this won't affect me at all. If you go to about:config and set browser.newtabpage.enabled to "false" it will go away.

Not exactly setting the bar high.

Okay, true, true, I'll give you that, but I use Adblock...so...ya...

COMIC SANS

Okay, true, true, I'll give you that, but I use Adblock...so...ya...

AdBlock doesn't block Chrome tracking you, sadly. It only blocks ads of the web site.

well i have websites pinned on that new tab page, will I not get ads? And honestly that's pretty non-intrusive so i don't mind. I don't want to switch back to Chrome, I just came over to Mozilla!

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

if it only happenes in the beginning i dont mind

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Probably a good thing I don't like FireFox anyway. Besides you can always use AdBlock. To be honest I wouldn't find paying say £2 a month to Google or whoever to block all website ads. The money would be split to the websites I visited and ads would be disabled. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard