Sony releases Dualshock 4 Back Button Attachment

Source: https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/12/17/introducing-the-dualshock-4-back-button-attachment/

Sony released a blog post today detailing their new Back Button attachment for their Dualshock 4 controllers. 

Features include:

• Responsive Back Buttons and High-fidelity OLED Screen: The two back buttons can map up to 16 different actions such as triangle, circle, R1 and R2 to name a few and provide amazing tactile feedback, so you can jump and slide without missing a beat. The attachment also features an integrated OLED display that provides real time information around button assignments.
  • Highly Configurable: A dedicated button allows you to remap back button inputs on the fly, so you are always prepared no matter what game you’re playing. Furthermore, you can save and choose up to three different profiles for use in various games and there is also a headset pass-through for connecting any 3.5mm wired headset to the controller.
  • Developed by PlayStation: The product is tested and approved for all of your favorite PlayStation 4 and PlayStation VR titles, and is built with the ergonomics of the DS4 in mind.

I personally am confused about the OLED screen as it faces away from the user, so they can't even see it, even though it is meant to tell them about button assignments. 

The Back Button Attachment launches in US and Canada on January 23, 2020, for SRP $29.99 USD, $39.99 CAD, so make sure to pick one up if you’re looking to play and compete at your best.

Images of the product are below:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Hello from Down Under!

Maybe it's my lack of familiarity with PS's controller, or I'm just super stupid, but, what in the world is this thing?

35 minutes ago, Hasmar04 said:

Features include:

That features list reads like an ad for a 3rd party PC controller from the late 90s.

38 minutes ago, Hasmar04 said:

I personally am confused about the OLED screen as it faces away from the user,

Maybe Team graphics while playing in tournaments? Do players use their controllers up high in console tournaments?

39 minutes ago, Hasmar04 said:

new Back Button attachment for their Dualshock 4 controllers.

Am I the only one that reads this and thought Sony was adding a 'back' (like a file/web browser... or an Xbox) button to the controller?

Is this supposed to be PlayStation's response to the Elite controller? So many questions... So few answers...

Side note: the link does show the device attached to controllers, so that does help a little, but the questions still linger...

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

51 minutes ago, The1Dickens said:

Maybe it's my lack of familiarity with PS's controller, or I'm just super stupid, but, what in the world is this thing?

Is this supposed to be PlayStation's response to the Elite controller? So many questions... So few answers...

Pretty much just an accessory that turns your base controller into a p2w like scuff, elite etc.

So it takes away the audio jack? Or does it have a pass through?

Can't open the article.

EDIT: just read a dutch article. It has a pass trough.

3 minutes ago, LeSheen said:

So it takes away the audio jack? Or does it have a pass through?

Can't open the article.

From the looks on the bottom of the picture, it has a pass through. Couldn't imagine Sony having a major oversight like that.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

Checks date. Nope, not april first.

Is this more ore less expensive and useful than the Xbox pro controller (I got a patterned Amazon version with those two "back" buttons, was nice. Pity the build quality of the PCB meant it died in 3 months. I've gone to the standard MS built Xbox one now (as those usually last 12 or more months) and do miss the extra buttons).

I wonder if you can program them as their own buttons...the write up just says mapping them as already existing buttons which seems kind of redundant. 

Nice quality though and a lot cheaper than I would have thought. If I didn't think PS controllers were complete trash I'd probably get this. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

This is pretty cool, but a couple years late too. Better late than never?

I just used to to use a different controller scheme, when I used to game on console a lot more. Map the right stick click down (R3) to crouching was quite wonderful!

51 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I wonder if you can program them as their own buttons...the write up just says mapping them as already existing buttons which seems kind of redundant. 

It is redundant, but it's there so you don't have to get your thumb off the right (aiming) stick to jump, crouch, etc. (which are usually mapped to the face buttons).

54 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Nice quality though and a lot cheaper than I would have thought. If I didn't think PS controllers were complete trash I'd probably get this. 

Yup! It just kinda seems like all controllers have gotten lower quality over the years.. But I feel like the PS4 controller is the worst out of the bunch

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, minibois said:

Yup! It just kinda seems like all controllers have gotten lower quality over the years.. But I feel like the PS4 controller is the worst out of the bunch

I just hate the design. It's so unergonomic.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

I just hate the design. It's so unergonomic.

Give me non-$200Aud Xbox style official controllers for Play Station and I'd probably get a lot more games on Play Station

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I'd personally totally approve of this thing, if it had four buttons instead of two. That way I could map R1, R2, L1 and L2 there and therefore have much better ergonomics than with the fucking shitty default DS4 - controller.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

Give me non-$200Aud Xbox style official controllers for Play Station and I'd probably get a lot more games on Play Station

Truth.

You can get Xbox style controllers that work with PS?

Wait don't tell me. Even at $200 I'd be tempted.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Truth.

Scuf's Vantage 2 might float your boat.  I don't have a problem with the DualShock 4 myself, but there are PS4 gamepads out there that will do the job.  Although I'd personally hesitate to spend a lot on a PlayStation controller until we know how well existing controllers will work (if at all) with the PS5.

24 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Scuf's Vantage 2 might float your boat.

I thought what Sony was doing looked familiar, the Vantage 2 looks exactly like what I imagine Sony was trying to do but in an add-on form factor.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

5 minutes ago, sowon said:

I thought what Sony was doing looked familiar, the Vantage 2 looks exactly like what I imagine Sony was trying to do but in an add-on form factor.

That's my thinking -- Sony wants in on the high-end gamepad scene, but it's not about to pour a ton of resources into a completely new PS4 controller at this stage in the console's life.  While I'm not expecting the DualShock 5 (or whatever it's called) to have back buttons, I wouldn't be surprised if a ground-up "pro" controller comes from Sony in the next couple of years.

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

Truth.

Wait, I lied. Its actually $300....

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/nacon-revolution-unlimited-pro-controller-for-playstation-4

What the hell

It is officially licensed

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

44 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Wait, I lied. Its actually $300....

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/nacon-revolution-unlimited-pro-controller-for-playstation-4

What the hell

It is officially licensed

That is...beautiful. Reviews all praise it too.

Guess I know what I'm getting when it comes to a controller for the new build ?

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

On 12/18/2019 at 5:46 AM, minibois said:

While there are always exception, I think the general trend is the opposite. It's hard to find an original N64 controller with limp sticks. Most of my GameCube controllers have squeaky triggers and some also have loose sticks (especially the C-Stick). My one PS3 controller feels super cheap and the plastic on the sticks gets gummy feeling if you leave it on a shelf unused for extended periods. 

Meanwhile, every Xbox controller I've had has been a complete tank. The 360 sticks would wear down a bit in terms of the plastic, but the actual movement never really loosened up on me, and while it took some getting used to I've gotten extremely pleased over the feel of the Xbone controller (both regular and especially the Elite). It seems anecodotally like most people were happy with both the Wii U and Switch Pro controllers. The DS4 is the only one I haven't had any real hands on time with, so I'll defer to others on that on durability, although I know a lot of people seem to really like it. 

Granted it is sort of cheating to compare modern $60+ controllers to one's that in the past cost a fraction of the price, but I'd argue that in general controllers have gotten more durable as time has gone on, even accounting for the dramatic increase in buttons/features. 

Spoiler

Obligatory addition to point out that all of this is void when it comes to controllers with internalized, non-replaceable batteries. I can pull out my Wavebird, Wiimote or 360 controller at any point in the future and slap in a few Eneloops to have a perfect wireless experience. Meanwhile my DS3 is relegated to a practically wired-only experience. 

The biggest tragedy of the new Xbox Elite controller is that it's got internal batteries. MS was the last hold out for the glory days of AAs, so we may be approaching the end of long lasting controllers. 

On 12/18/2019 at 10:42 PM, Moonlacer386 said:

Sony has grown a brain cell in their controller department

Idk how you got to that conclusion.  ?

This seems highly impractical and clumsy,  the opposite of what actual "pro" (paddle) controllers are doing. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity