"D" imensity..........LEVEL 1000! ~ MediaTek's New A77 5G SoC

Here's "D" immensity in its 1000-level glory (pun intended xD).

dimensity_678x452.jpg

But will the name stick?

D-immense Specs:

And the craziest thing to me........up to 80 MEGAPIXELS of combined camera resolution. That's like 2 depth/ambient light sensors ("cameras" that don't really do anything except just that) + a 36MP main camera w/ 8K 30fps video + a 24MP "secondary" camera (selfie cam?) with 4K 60fps video + a 12MP wide-angle camera with 5x optical zoom + a secondary 8MP "regular" camera for other stuff (macro, black-and-white, more selfies, night vision, etc., etc.).

Not bad for a peak at what insane SoC features we might see coming from Quallcomm, Samsung, and Huawei in the coming year.

I've always wondered how the camera mp ratings work. Samsung has that 108mp sensor out, and they still got it to work. 

You failed to mention the most impressive part; it beats the 855+ and A13 on Antutu by a substantial margin. 

It'll be interesting if Mediatek starts playing with the big boys. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'd love to see how much battery this thing consumes. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

AV1 encoding? HW based AV1 encoder? 

Say whaaat? 

EDIT... 

nvm, its just decode 

I honestly wouldnt trust any of these mediatek leaks. They dont mention how the chip cooled nor what kind of an cpu governor or hotplug was used. Even some intel desktop cpus cant hold 2.6ghz on all 4 cores with a heatsink.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Holy crap these are some really good stuff in there.

• Top of the line CPU cores. Possibly better than the current Qualcomm 855+ (better CPU architecture, lower clocks).
  • A good GPU, but it might depend on frequency how good it is. The core count seems a bit low but G77 is suppose to be a major upgrade from the G76 so hopefully it will still perform well.
  • The NPU is fucking massive. 4.5TOPs? The 9820 in the Galaxy S10 does 1.86 TOPs. This is more than twice as fast.
  • Really massive ISP. With the new 102MP Samsung sensor it will hopefully speed up processing, because right now it's really slow.
  • AV1 decoding!!!!! Woho! So glad to see that it's finally starting to arrive.
  • 5G model built in is nice too. Not interested in 5G right now but it's nice to see that support in devices appears to come quickly.

This seems like it will be a really, really nice SoC.

44 minutes ago, dizmo said:

You failed to mention the most impressive part; it beats the 855+ and A13 on Antutu by a substantial margin. 

The unofficial Red Magic 3S score comes very close to that 511k mark:

Spoiler

Nubia-red-magic-3s-AnTuTu.jpg

https://www.gizmochina.com/2019/09/03/red-magic-3s-records-highest-antutu-score-of-510496-with-sd855-and-12gb-ram/

Maybe even the ROG Phone 2 can reach past 500k with some further software optimization or even manual SoC overclocking.

Guides for those that dare:

40 minutes ago, WereCat said:

AV1 encoding? HW based AV1 encoder? 

Say whaaat? 

Yes, you can encode AV1: https://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=130284

They got those results with an old Xeon E3-1505M (Geekbench single-core score of around 5000). In comparison the Snapdragon 8cx/SQ1 isn't too far behind at around 3000 to 4000 so building-in AV1 encoding is looking possible. This however does not take into account processing cores with "optimized vectorization" (whatever that means).

So my bad, mobile chips can't do that feasibly just yet. Maybe in a coming years. But the encoding tech does exist.

45 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I've always wondered how the camera mp ratings work. Samsung has that 108mp sensor out, and they still got it to work.

Yeah that's always seemed a bit odd to me as well.  Seems like too specific of a thing to be a hardware spec.  Like, is the ability to coordinate a camera not just a generic computing task for which software is responsible?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

26 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah that's always seemed a bit odd to me as well.  Seems like too specific of a thing to be a hardware spec.  Like, is the ability to coordinate a camera not just a generic computing task for which software is responsible?

The rated megapixel count is for the image signal processor (ISP).

My guess is that the megapixel count is how much demosaicing the chip can handle in hardware in a certain time frame (maybe in parallel?). Everything the ISP does can be done on the CPU too, but it's much, much slower.

1 hour ago, Levent said:

I honestly wouldnt trust any of these mediatek leaks. They dont mention how the chip cooled nor what kind of an cpu governor or hotplug was used. Even some intel desktop cpus cant hold 2.6ghz on all 4 cores with a heatsink.

It's just standard A77 cores. They are meant to run at those speeds in a phone.

You can't compare a desktop Intel CPU to an ARM CPU.

Wait mediatek know how to make SoCs that aren't just bottom of the barrel chips for super budget devices? Holy shit 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

55 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

It's just standard A77 cores. They are meant to run at those speeds in a phone.

You can't compare a desktop Intel CPU to an ARM CPU.

I am aware, it was not a good example but still I wouldn't trust mediatek or any other SoC brand just because of past examples of great chips running hotter than sun and throttling to moon.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

42 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Let me unlock and install custom ROMs or fuck off

You know that's not under Mediatek's control, right?

Will wait for the reviews to see how it compares to the Qualcomm 865 and Hisilicon 990+

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

6 hours ago, Results45 said:

NEVC

Should that be HEVC?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Overall very good SoC though. AV1 suport. Built in 5G modem, but mmWave not supported interestingly. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4 hours ago, RejZoR said:

You know that's not under Mediatek's control, right?

Yep, it is entirely possible to make a phone with a MediaTek chip and an unlocked bootloader.

What I think the person you quoted meant to say was "release the source code for the BSP or fuck off".

MediaTek are notorious for not releasing the source code for their Board Support Package (BSP), which is a crucial component for developing custom ROMs.

12 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Yep, it is entirely possible to make a phone with a MediaTek chip and an unlocked bootloader.

What I think the person you quoted meant to say was "release the source code for the BSP or fuck off".

MediaTek are notorious for not releasing the source code for their Board Support Package (BSP), which is a crucial component for developing custom ROMs.

Wouldn't it be in their best financial interest to do so? The more people are interested in it, the more vendors will use it and they'll sell them more. It's weird they don't get this.

3 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Wouldn't it be in their best financial interest to do so? The more people are interested in it, the more vendors will use it and they'll sell them more. It's weird they don't get this.

Yeah I don't get it either. I mean, they have the source code already. Why not release it? They even release it to their hardware partners.

Maybe it contains stolen code or something and they would risk getting sued if it was discovered.

Lol, wasting die space on building in a 5G modem when 5G can't even penetrate walls. I don't know how else to put this, but if a cell signal requires LoS to work, it's not going to become very popular. 

Good on them for catching up to the industry leader though. More better SoCs for more phones \o/

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

10 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

... but if a cell signal requires LoS to work, it's not going to become very popular.

Most forms of radio communication are designed to work optimally with line of sight to the next node in the chain, simply because mapping NLOS is stupidly complicated and trying to account for it is environment specific.

Not to mention to maximize distance of how far a signal can reach, you need to make it directional.

11 hours ago, dizmo said:

It'll be interesting if Mediatek starts playing with the big boys. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'd love to see how much battery this thing consumes. 

Yeah, but AnTuTu even says you shouldn't compare Android v iOS because the versions are significantly different and not apples to apples. Even with that in mind, this processor is an impressive step forward for ARM in general!

First of all, since there are obvious differences in the kernel and the development language used by the iOS system and the Android system, the iOS version and the Android version of Antutu Benchmark are two different softwares and the test methods for the two versions are significantly different.

Second, Antutu iOS version and Antutu Android version use different APIs when running the GPU test. The iOS version uses Apple’s Metal API while the Android version uses OpenGL ES and vulkan API. Although the test scenarios used in the two versions are the same, the rendering mechanisms are different, neither does the stress requirement for the hardware.

All in all, the scoring mechanisms for the iOS version and the Android version of Antutu Benchmark are significantly different, and therefore the test results of the two versions are not directly comparable.

Source: https://www.antutu.com/en/doc/119646.htm

4 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

Mediatek actually competes? wow

They may not be competing in the smartphone space, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're more common elsewhere.

For example, my TV, a Sony Android TV based one, has a MediaTek SoC. I'd be expecting other companies to choose similar offerings

1 hour ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

They may not be competing in the smartphone space, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're more common elsewhere.

For example, my TV, a Sony Android TV based one, has a MediaTek SoC. I'd be expecting other companies to choose similar offerings

Yeah,

Would mediatek be the AMD of the bulldozer era? back a while ago

✨FNIGE✨