In Soviet Russia, Tech buys you! - Russia bans sales of imported tech without Russian software included

rcmaehl

Source:
BBC (quote source)

TechRadar

Summary:
Starting July 2020, smartphones, cameras, computers, and smart tvs will be banned unless they ship with Russian Alternative Software

Quotes/Excerpts:

Russia has passed a law banning the sale of certain devices that are not pre-installed with Russian software. The law will come into force in July 2020 and cover smartphones, computers and smart televisions. It is aimed at promoting Russian technology and making it easier for people in the country to use the gadgets they buy. There are concerns about surveillance and fears that firms could pull out of the Russian market. The law will not mean devices from other countries cannot be sold with their normal software, but Russian alternatives will also have to be installed. A complete list of the gadgets affected and the Russian-made software that needs to be pre-installed will be determined by the government. The Association of Trading Companies and Manufacturers of Electrical Household and Computer Equipment (RATEK) has said it will not be possible to install Russian-made software on some devices and that the international companies behind the gadgets may leave the Russian market as a result of the law. Russia has introduced tougher internet laws over the last five years, including requiring search engines to delete some search results and calling on messaging services to share encryption keys. The latest legislation comes just weeks after the country introduced new controls on the internet through its "sovereign internet" law. The Kremlin says it will improve cyber security, but critics fear the government will try to create an internet firewall similar to that in China.

My Thoughts:

It appears the golden age of the internet is coming to an end. Major powers including China, Russia, Australia, and more are fracturing it more and more as they set strict rules on software, hardware, and encryption. While regional software does exist, it's going to be more and more prevalent as these rules get set and each country creates it's own little walled garden.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Good. Germany should be next. But we still have US devoted Cowards in Berlin.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

26 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

It appears the golden age of the internet is coming to an end.

I believe you mean wild west... 

14 minutes ago, Praesi said:

You want German software in smartphones and computers?   ? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

I believe you mean wild west... 

Dont forget Tanks, Rockets, Submarines and Sturmgewehre.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with German Engineering. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to take the 25 bolts needed to change the headlights in my VW.

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

4 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with German Engineering. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to take the 25 bolts needed to change the headlights in my VW.

No, that is correct,  but I think you haven't used their software,  because that's not exactly their fortune tbh 

PS: and neither are headlights!  :D

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

This type of move has been coming for a while from a lot of directions. You can blame the State Department, NSA and CIA for this. 

The Iron Digital Curtain is descending.

9 minutes ago, thorhammerz said:

The Iron Digital Curtain is descending.

Not really. The US Government basically abuses every avenue they can in the digital space, so the only way to not have all of your networks crawling with the NSA is to prevent a lot of things from entering. Would be nice if the US Government was as big on preventing others from doing that to Americans, but that's why there's so much political turmoil. 

1 hour ago, rcmaehl said:

Why do you make up such slander about German Engineering? You don't need to take off 25 bolts to change a headlight, because they never go bad. 

2 minutes ago, descendency said:

Why do you make up such slander about German Engineering? You don't need to take off 25 bolts to change a headlight, because they never go bad. 

Unfortunately, there are American bulbs in my German car, they require routine replacement

31 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Unfortunately, there are American bulbs in my German car, they require routine replacement

Bulbs made in America you say... ? 

Can you just translate the app into Slavic and call it Russian?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

6 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

now while we are on topic. do you have a crane by any chance? i need to remove the turret of my tank to replace my transmission

7 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Major powers including Australia

First time in history this has been said

So close and yet so far. Replace "Russian" with "foss" and I'd be on board.

7 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

No, that is correct,  but I think you haven't used their software,  because that's not exactly their fortune tbh

SAP is all right I guess..?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 hours ago, Praesi said:

Obviously, you are too young to remember life in East Germany and East Berlin before the fall of the wall nor paid much attention to WWII history in school.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

So close and yet so far. Replace "Russian" with "foss" and I'd be on board.

SAP is all right I guess..?

Every experience I've had with our clients using SAP software (we don't specifically, but some stuff occasionally has to be uploaded in to their systems) has ended in an utter shitshow after they've spent an inordinate amount of money (read in the significant millions) on it, so personally no.

11 minutes ago, IntMD said:

Every experience I've had with our clients using SAP software (we don't specifically, but some stuff occasionally has to be uploaded in to their systems) has ended in an utter shitshow after they've spent an inordinate amount of money (read in the significant millions) on it, so personally no.

isn't that what ERPs are for anyway?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Obviously, you are too young to remember life in East Germany and East Berlin before the fall of the wall nor paid much attention to WWII history in school.

Oh yea. The never ending Victor Propaganda BS to keep Germans in Line.

3 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Oh yea. The never ending Victor Propaganda BS to keep Germans in Line.

Thank you for proving my point.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

6 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Thank you for proving my point.

Yawn. Search for something else for your Nonsense. I dont bite. Its beyond offtopic too.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

isn't that what ERPs are for anyway?

Yes. I started to type out what the problems were with the SAP systems that we dealt with the final implementations of but it got a bit too identifying. I'm also not saying SAP doesn't work normally, and what our clients tried to do with it was just a bit too niche (despite at least one paying millions extra to have a fair amount of stuff customised and the implementation being delayed 2+ years for extra testing), maybe it works fine for normal types of stuff.

Here is a shorter (yes, shorter) thing with more simple problems than I originally was going to post and quite a bit of the stuff we deal with wouldn't even interact with a large part of the systems the implemented either.

2 different national Governments (super rich ones with money to burn) & 1 company who's market cap is >$100bn. I also suspect there is another company that has a SAP system too, as they have certain oddities when it comes to how they do things, but we don't deal with anything for them that obviously interacts with a SAP system.

• Late payments (they were always pretty crap at this, but after the SAP implementations things went to a whole new level).
  • People (their own employees) not being paid at all, or incorrectly. Under & overpayments (some times multple times the persons actual salary being paid to them (most I saw was 3.5 times what one guy was supposed to be paid in a single month, despite that part of the system being mostly automated).
  • Things not being received when we have confirmation they had been received by their system (although this was only 2 of the 3 above - and I suspect it was just the employees who couldn't be arsed, however, the other one had a non-SAP system for their stuff we sent, so who actually knows).

I could go on, but these are the more basic problems.

TLDR:

• We did stuff for the companies
  • They got SAP implementations
  • Things (a lot more than just the above - including some stuff the was automated) went wrong when they took stuff in house, not all by their own error
  • We now do all of the stuff they took off us when they implemented SAP
  • We do significantly more stuff for them now because their SAP systems failed plenty of other aspects, even compared to their old systems