Computer monitor with true hdmi 2.1 does this exist yet?

Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,

i would need a dp 1.4 to get 240 hz 1440p?

Yes, you would need DP 1.3/1.4.

The 4080 has DP 1.4a, so I'm fairly certain that's what the laptop will have as well. So it should work fine over the USB-C ports with a compatible cable, that supports the necessary bandwidth (i.e. HBR3)

2560 x 1440 x 240 Hz requires a bandwith of close to 25 Gbps, so you will need a cable that supports at least this bitrate. A VESA certified cable should be marked as supporting HBR3 (High Bit Rate 3)

So i have a msi raider ge78hx 13v 4080 laptop . Me want to connect to 240hz 1440p monitor. But me cant find monitor that support true hdmi 2.1. This laptop does have a hdmi2.1 port. Soo am i stuck at playing lower than 240hz or lower than 1440p?

Also i dont fully know the capability of this laptops usbc/dp/thunderbolt ports ability. Halps me. Appreciate any advice.

Should be possible if the laptop and monitor has at least DisplayPort 1.4 or supports Display Stream Compression (DSC)

~edit: from what I can find the laptop has at least two three USB Type-C ports that support DP alt-mode, so you should be fine using display port.

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/Raider-GE78-HX-13VX/Specification

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the fast reply!

TYPE-C PORT1x Thunderbolt™ 4; 
1x USB 3.2 Gen 2/DP; 
1x USB 3.2 Gen 2/DP&PD

so these are some of the io. But i cant seem to find out if this is DP 1.2/1.3/1.4

@Eigenvektor

Edited by Tastelikeham

Yes, you would need DP 1.3/1.4.

The 4080 has DP 1.4a, so I'm fairly certain that's what the laptop will have as well. So it should work fine over the USB-C ports with a compatible cable, that supports the necessary bandwidth (i.e. HBR3)

2560 x 1440 x 240 Hz requires a bandwith of close to 25 Gbps, so you will need a cable that supports at least this bitrate. A VESA certified cable should be marked as supporting HBR3 (High Bit Rate 3)

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply