How to fix 99% fps

I notice that in some games, specifically RDR2 my 99% fps drops quite frequently to 50s-60s with noticeable microstutters, it isnt unplayable just small microstutters, i know my hardware is capable enough and my temps are fine, what could be the issue? games like cyberpunk, alan wake 2, ghost of tsushima barely have this, when they do its just very small and probably its the game loading assets or something and it doesnt happen frequently but i dont know why specifically red dead has this issue. I tried reinstalling my windows and also verified game files, also i updated my windows and installed my X3D chipset the way AMD advised to. The game is running on 1440p Ultra settings DX12

My specs:

Win 11 pro on 980 PRO SSD 1TB with 600+GB left, Games are also on this SSD

7950X3D PBO on, Preferred cores set to auto and gamebar updated and first ccd is preferred automatically when running a game

32gb ram ddr5 5600mhz XMP on

RTX 4090 Driver ver 552.44

B650E-F Asus Strix MOBO

Samsung G7 Odyssey 27 inch 240HZ Gsync on

I tried turning off my second screen and any background apps and also disabling fullscreen optimization and i also tried DDU to no avail.

i believe it isnt hardware related, i have had this issue even on my older builds i think it could be windows or game related but at the same time im not sure if it happens to everyone, can anyone confirm that these small microstutters are normal in games? All my temps are normal they never go higher than 70 on both GPU and CPU

RDR2 is know to stutter more on DX12. Just stick to Vulkan.

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

RDR2 is know to stutter more on DX12. Just stick to Vulkan.

hmmm, ok, but in general small microstutters that happen in games, this is normal? i mean in red dead it is indeed more common but in other games it not as common, in general is this normal or do i have to troubleshoot

3 minutes ago, Mando772004 said:

hmmm, ok, but in general small microstutters that happen in games, this is normal? i mean in red dead it is indeed more common but in other games it not as common, in general is this normal or do i have to troubleshoot

Depends on the game. Which ones?

Also try to DDU the driver and do a fresg install DISCONNECTED FROM THE INTERNET!

also what are your temps during rdr2?

Btw you meant 1% and/or 0.1% lows. Those are where you can easily see the worst stuttering.

13 minutes ago, Mando772004 said:

I don't know if this is a known thing but I notice a lot more stutters when I cap my fps

But also games will just have occasional micro stutters in general

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Depends on the game. Which ones?

Also try to DDU the driver and do a fresg install DISCONNECTED FROM THE INTERNET!

also what are your temps during rdr2?

Btw you meant 1% and/or 0.1% lows. Those are where you can easily see the worst stuttering.

i meant 99% cuz this is what nvidia overlay displays, my temps are 60on cpu and 63c on gpu. i did try DDU yes. Games i mean are the ones i mentioned like Alan wake 2, just small and rare microstutters, but red dead it is more common

4 minutes ago, Mando772004 said:

i meant 99% cuz this is what nvidia overlay displays, my temps are 60on cpu and 63c on gpu. i did try DDU yes. Games i mean are the ones i mentioned like Alan wake 2, just small and rare microstutters, but red dead it is more common

What is your ram usage? If your ram is near max or being maxed out, that would definitely cause stuttering issues. Also is your SSD near full or actually full? I remember one day The finals randomly starting stuttering like crap and it was because my ssd literally had 0 bytes free

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

12 minutes ago, Hellowpplz said:

What is your ram usage? If your ram is near max or being maxed out, that would definitely cause stuttering issues. Also is your SSD near full or actually full? I remember one day The finals randomly starting stuttering like crap and it was because my ssd literally had 0 bytes free

no its no where near full, my ram is 32gb so also no my ram isnt even near full utilization

26 minutes ago, Mando772004 said:

Varies greatly from game to game. But for RDR2 specifically it's recommended to run it on Vulkan rather than on DX12 for this reason.

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Varies greatly from game to game. But for RDR2 specifically it's recommended to run it on Vulkan rather than on DX12 for this reason.

Ok i will try that, Thanks!

Check if it's the same stutter GTA 5 suffers from. Engine shits itself when reaching some 182~ fps and gives back stutters, if you'd cap the FPS to something normal like 144fps like I have, then there's never any stutter. Not sure if this was addressed by Rockstar as people started reaching sky high FPS and this issue appeared by the time RDR2 was already released.

Check if it's the same problem and if it is, see if a frame cap under the threshold makes stutters dissapear.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

45 minutes ago, venomtail said:

Check if it's the same stutter GTA 5 suffers from. Engine shits itself when reaching some 182~ fps and gives back stutters, if you'd cap the FPS to something normal like 144fps like I have, then there's never any stutter. Not sure if this was addressed by Rockstar as people started reaching sky high FPS and this issue appeared by the time RDR2 was already released.

Check if it's the same problem and if it is, see if a frame cap under the threshold makes stutters dissapear.

no it isnt that bad, gta's stutters are terrible when it reaches 188fps, but in RDR2 is basically small microstutters very small, i did try using vulkan and it definitely is better now, but in general in some other games, some occasional microsutters/frametime spikes can happen and i was wondering if that is normal