Internet Archive has added 2500+ DOS games to its archive!

Furiku

Internet archive has done what it does best, and has added over 2500 "new" old MS-DOS games to its vast library for preservation and public view.

You can view the full selection of games they just added at https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games?and[]=emulator_start%3A*iafix*&sin=&sort=-publicdate

Time to get your nostalgy-trip going or perhaps educate your kids what gaming really used to be like back in the day - for free!

zeH8HXE.jpg

https://blog.archive.org/2019/10/13/2500-more-ms-dos-games-playable-at-the-archive/

https://www.cnet.com/news/internet-archive-releases-2500-ms-dos-games-so-you-can-relive-the-90s/

I'm pretty sure Archive.org is getting a bunch of traffic now that they added these. I've seen noticeably increased load times. Hopefully the internet doesn't hug them to death.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I wonder how they got the licencing, some of these seems to cost money on GOG.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

52 minutes ago, williamcll said:

IIRC, GOG tests and possibly modifies the games to make sure they run well on modern hardware.  I think that they're all considered "abandonware" so you don't need a license.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

59 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Game ROMS.  Internet archive uses DOSBOX which is an emulator made to play DOS ROMS.

Won’t visit often..

4 minutes ago, MrFixitBlankFace said:

Game ROMS.  Internet archive uses DOSBOX which is an emulator made to play DOS ROMS.

Just because you have the rom doesn't mean you can distribute it.  williamcll is talking about how they are legally allowed to do this.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

1 hour ago, williamcll said:

A lot of those games are older than 25 years old, so the copyright expired.

For other games, they may be considered abandonware, as the companies they made them no longer exist, or something like that.

GOG can sell public domain / free stuff, just as I could for example download a Jules Verne book from Project Gutenberg and sell it on Amazon as digital ebook or hard copy.

I hope they have Xwing vs tie fighter. Needs a working joystick though. And I wish I could remember the xwing game where you destroy the death star. That game was epic. And its graphics were mean as.

Now I feel old. I remember buying 3 of the ones in the OP image when they first came out...

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

47 minutes ago, Bacon soup said:

I hope they have Xwing vs tie fighter. Needs a working joystick though. And I wish I could remember the xwing game where you destroy the death star. That game was epic. And its graphics were mean as.

That would be X-Wing Alliance. You can also pick it up on GoG

3 hours ago, porina said:

Now I feel old. I remember buying 3 of the ones in the OP image when they first came out...

Only 3? I was mid teens when most of those released, I bought/had at least 5 of them and played almost all of them. I remember my Mum bought me Discworld, it was probably the first game I played on my own PC (which was our old family PC).

I can remember the day my uncle gave me 32MB of EDO RAM to go in my PC, it was a Pentium 90 with a 200mb HDD running Windows 95. It was always horribly slow because it only had 8MB of RAM in it so when it got upgraded to 32MB it was like a new machine. I wrote my own start up script in the config.sys & autoexec.bat so I could choose DOS or Windows and which drivers to load because of DOS's memory limitations.

Those where the days.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Copyright is 75, not 25.

You're right, I was thinking of patents, which have 14, 15, 25 years ... depends on country and area in which the patents are (ex medicine may be longer duration)

Anyone know the name of a helicopter game where you evacuate civilians and it's in isometric view? 90s dos game. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Internet Archive continues to be king of preserving old games!

Intel Core i3-4150 | ASRock H81M-HDS | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | G.Skill Ares 8GB (2 X 4GB) | EVGA Geforce GTX 750 Ti Superclocked | Silverstone PS0B | XFX 550W 80+ Bronze | Windows 8.1 64-bit (Upgrading to Windows 10)

On 10/19/2019 at 2:28 AM, FezBoy said:

IIRC, GOG tests and possibly modifies the games to make sure they run well on modern hardware.  I think that they're all considered "abandonware" so you don't need a license.

There is no such thing as "abondonware". If original studio that made it still exists or the publisher who usually holds the rights, it's not abondonware. Even if it's this old and for OS that has long been gone.

15 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Anyone know the name of a helicopter game where you evacuate civilians and it's in isometric view? 90s dos game. 

There's the Strike games though I don't think that's what you mean.

Desert Strike, Jungle Strike & Urban Strike.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

14 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

There's the Strike games though I don't think that's what you mean.

Desert Strike, Jungle Strike & Urban Strike.

F yeah Desert Strike. I enjoyed playing that game over 20 years ago with a Windows 3.11 PC. I searched for Air Strike but that's not it. Didn't know there was Jungle Strike and Urban Strike. 

Gonna try them when i'm bored at the office.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

25 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

There is no such thing as "abondonware". If original studio that made it still exists or the publisher who usually holds the rights, it's not abondonware. Even if it's this old and for OS that has long been gone.

Even if the original studio and publisher no longer exists a game can't be abandonware. The whole abandonware scene started out of a huge misunderstanding of copyright law. No video game ever made is old enough to be public domain, regardless of the existence of its creators.

51 minutes ago, Derangel said:

Even if the original studio and publisher no longer exists a game can't be abandonware. The whole abandonware scene started out of a huge misunderstanding of copyright law. No video game ever made is old enough to be public domain, regardless of the existence of its creators.

It can only be abandonware if studio went bust, publisher went bust and no one cared to buy either IP. Then that is actually abandonware. But in general, any IP worth selling in any way, shape or form has always been bought by someone else and brought to life to make money. Especially if it was popular in the past and they think people would buy something based on that lore or just name again.

For those who've mentioned the X-Wing games... in particular X-Wing Alliance... I recommend getting a copy of it via GOG as it will be fully compatible with the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade project... which has remodelled the entire game and it looks spectacular now... and will work on modern operating systems and high resolutions.

It's worth buying it for that reason alone.

I have very fond memories of those games. The original X-Wing was the very first PC game me and my friend ever bought on disc... Had to create a special dos boot disc just for the game due to the specific settings it required. For the first 6 months we played without any sound until we managed to get a sound card for the old 386 PC with 1mb of ram, we were so excited to have sound and we doubled the ram too.  :)

Added the B-Wing expansion and then got the Tie Fighter game too... I then purchased the collectors edition on CD at the same time as I picked up X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter for my new PC a Pentium 200mhz... and I got X-Wing Alliance along with my PII 350Mhz a couple of years later. Those games are still in my drawer and installed on my system.

I long for a new game like those... but alas EA have the license to make star wars games and all we will ever get are shitty FPS ones that are pay to win... Fuck EA.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.