Spotify to Tackle Family Plan Sharing by Asking Users For Locations

jiyeon

Source: The Verge | CNET

Spotify are allegedly going to start asking users who are part of a family plan for their locaiton to crack down on family plan sharing, stating that family plans are made for those who reside in the same residence.

Spotify is cracking down on family plan sharing — again. According to a new set of terms and conditions for the plan that the company published back in August, Spotify is now requiring the primary account holder and everyone else on the plan to show proof that they reside at the same address, which it will now confirm from “time to time” by asking users to verify their addresses, as spotted by CNET.

This apparently isn't the first time Spotify has attempted to voice their concerns over family plan sharing for people who don't live in the same house, but the change in terms and conditions means they have the ability to contact those on a family plan for their GPS coordinates, which as you can probably tell, sparked privacy concerns by customers.

The company tested this last year and asked for exact GPS coordinates but ended the pilot program after customers balked, according to TechCrunch. Now it intends on rolling the location data requests out fully, reigniting privacy concerns and raising the question of how much is too much when it comes to your personal information.

"The changes to the policy allow Spotify to arbitrarily use the location of an individual to ascertain if they continue to reside at the same address when using a family account, and it's unclear how often Spotify will query users' devices for this information," said Christopher Weatherhead, technology lead for UK watchdog group Privacy International, adding that there are "worrying privacy implications."

This new wave of checking conducted by Spotify will use Google Maps' location with Spotify saying that they will ask users for verfication of location 'from time to time', and if you're caught with your pants down, your plan is suspended.

New accounts will be required to verify their address using Google Maps, and Spotify “may from time to time ask for re-verification” of your home address. If you fail to meet those criteria, Spotify notes that it can terminate or suspend your family plan.

It’s still unclear to what extent Spotify will be pursuing this kind of account verification or if it actually intends to cancel accounts that are violating the geographic limits. But the new terms do state that it can.

On a real note, I don't think this is going to work. Spotify tried it once and every customer who was part of the wave complained, so I see no reason to do it again, especially since customer privacy is an exponentially growing concern especially in subscription-based services like Spotify who rely on user data whilst not violating laws like GDPR.

Spotify do still seem adamant to stop family plan sharing as a family plan is $15 per month for 6 concurrent users if I'm not mistaken, which I imagine costs Spotify a lot of money if people are leeching off someone else's primary account.

Spotify is definitely losing a fight for profit, but I truly believe asking users literally where they live is not the right direction for family verification.

Out of curiousity, is anyone part of a family plan that is shared? I'm using my own $10 solo plan, with my brother still on free. I believe in thin instance, it would be liable for me to pay $5 extra for my brother to experience Premium.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

20 minutes ago, sowon said:

Out of curiousity, is anyone part of a family plan that is shared? I'm using my own $10 solo plan, with my brother still on free. I believe in thin instance, it would be liable for me to pay $5 extra for my brother to experience Premium.

I've got a family plan with 3 members on it, 1 of which lives at the house full time, with the other 2 who legally live at the address being on the road traveling on/off for work throughout the year. If Spotify wants to verify this, they're going to have to violate Canadian Privacy laws by requesting government ID's or other documents protected by our Privacy Act, because there will be months of the year they're nowhere physically near our address, even though again, their legal mailing address is the same.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Remember when you didn't have to tell a company where you lived, worked or played in order to listen to a CD.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Yet another reason to use Google Play Music or Apple Music, depending on which ecosystem you're in.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I'm pretty sure most people are using cracked versions of spotify at this point.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

This could be the beginning of something bigger for the media streaming industry in my opinion. Could Netflix and Hulu potentially implement similar policies I wonder?

10 minutes ago, adman29 said:

I like youtube music please don't make fun of me : (

Most of my music comes from YouTube anyway, no fun making here.

The main reason for this is because I'm generally at my PC often enough that it's not a problem just to use YouTube with an adblocker.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Most of my music comes from YouTube anyway, no fun making here.

The main reason for this is because I'm generally at my PC often enough that it's not a problem just to use YouTube with an adblocker.

Yay! 

If you have a phone youtube music premium isn't half bad tbh. Music sounds good, and you have a way larger selection than spotify, etc. If it's not officially there, it'll try and pull a copy or song from Youtube itself.

Still have Amazon Prime Student years after leaving lol.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

6 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Still have Amazon Prime Student years after leaving lol.

I got it, and then they said, oh, well, we're going to start charging after your first semester or so. They charged me like, once, and that was 2 years ago. I still have prime, but don't let amazon know.

12 minutes ago, adman29 said:

Yay! 

If you have a phone youtube music premium isn't half bad tbh. Music sounds good, and you have a way larger selection than spotify, etc. If it's not officially there, it'll try and pull a copy or song from Youtube itself.

Yeah using youtube for music is convenient for me, I'm thinking of getting youtube premium for when I use it on my phone.

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

Yeah using youtube for music is convenient for me, I'm thinking of getting youtube premium for when I use it on my phone.

App isn't 100% there yet, especially on iOS, but on Android it was pretty great for the like 8 months that I used it

So what about people who work all day and are rarely at home? There's a big difference between where they are and where they live that Spotify would have issues detecting

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Not going to work, good luck trying to force that without losing paid customers. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Getting the rest of my family to Apple Music might be easy since most of them are iPhone users. I’m the only one using Android at the moment (not for too much longer). 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

What does spotify not cry about these days?

Who's actually going to give out their GPS coordinates to an online company with a business model that doesn't have to deliver anything to you physically?

Do they plan to ban everyone that uses a VPN?

How desperate can you get?

What happens if you have a family member who's living far away ? 

And I would definitely reject Spotify access to my location, apple would probably pull the app from the app store first? 

7 minutes ago, Yongtjunkit said:

What happens if you have a family member who's living far away ? 

They are not allowed to use the family plan. It is strictly for users who share the same home. At least in theory, but I think a lot of people abuse it.

I kind of understand why they are doing this. It's so incredibly easy to cheat the system, but at the same time it feels like this is not a good way to go about it.

I wonder what they will do if this fails. Spotify will periodically and secretly activate your camera so that they can look in and confirm that you are behaving in a family-like way with certain people? Don't worry, if you got nothing to fear if you got nothing to hide!

"Hi LAwLz, we have noticed that you do not cook food with your supposed 'family member' in a while. Are you sure you're actually family?"

apple music >>> Spotify anyway

8 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Yet another reason to use Google Play Music or Apple Music,

I was looking to get either youtubemusic,google music or spotify.

In the end It was spotify. The other platforms didn't have the artists I'm interested in.

And I'll never start using Spotify.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

What if one member is out on a buissness trip for a few days? What about vacations?

This is insanity

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016