Are the Clothes in the LTT store ethically sourced?

Skedaddler101
Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,
11 minutes ago, Skedaddler101 said:

Just wondering.

We have visited most of our factories to check in on the conditions and we will be making trips to China as time permits to hit the other ones and continue to check in. 

Frankly speaking, one was on the edge of what we'd consider acceptable and we are looking for an alternate supplier. The rest were definitely OK and we are comfortable continuing to work with those suppliers. 

Right now it's a very small business unit for us (1000s of units per month vs.10s of thousands) We haven't grown to the point where we are ready to follow our supply chain all the way through to where the factories procure their raw fabric/dyes/tooling/etc but it's something we're cognizant of and we will strive to improve as we ramp up our scale.

Might not be the most amazing answer.. I'd love to say "yes all of our merch is made by disabled veterans being paid 3x the going industry rate", but it's the honest one. 

1 minute ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

They are repurposed seal clubs. 

at least they're recycling 

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

11 minutes ago, Skedaddler101 said:

Just wondering.

We have visited most of our factories to check in on the conditions and we will be making trips to China as time permits to hit the other ones and continue to check in. 

Frankly speaking, one was on the edge of what we'd consider acceptable and we are looking for an alternate supplier. The rest were definitely OK and we are comfortable continuing to work with those suppliers. 

Right now it's a very small business unit for us (1000s of units per month vs.10s of thousands) We haven't grown to the point where we are ready to follow our supply chain all the way through to where the factories procure their raw fabric/dyes/tooling/etc but it's something we're cognizant of and we will strive to improve as we ramp up our scale.

Might not be the most amazing answer.. I'd love to say "yes all of our merch is made by disabled veterans being paid 3x the going industry rate", but it's the honest one. 

• 2 years later...
On 9/1/2019 at 12:19 PM, LinusTech said:

This is not much of an answer at all.  Linus frequently calls out other companies for poor manufacturing ethics and moving labor overseas.  What are your standards for if a factory is “OK”?  Can you guys post sources or some kind of ethics statement on the store?  

Comparing your “not most amazing answer” to some hypothetical exaggeration doesn’t tell me anything about your ethics.  

If your outsourced factories belong to Foxconn then forget about ethically anything. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

5 hours ago, tobias.shen said:

This is not much of an answer at all.  Linus frequently calls out other companies for poor manufacturing ethics and moving labor overseas.  What are your standards for if a factory is “OK”?  Can you guys post sources or some kind of ethics statement on the store?  

Comparing your “not most amazing answer” to some hypothetical exaggeration doesn’t tell me anything about your ethics.  

I assume you are expecting more direct "nonsense" which is found on many other companies websites? Like "we don't condone use of child labor, unsafe work conditions, inhuman work conditions and hours, below livable minimum wage" and "our products are made from ecological materials and methods"? As I read Linus' answer from someone who is living in modern country. Either one with robust network of workers unions, or one with minimum wage and other governmental restrictions placed towards manufacturing industry. So "OK" would be something they would see their kids or relatives working at. Not magnificent on all aspects, but not clearly mistreating workers either.

As you can see from Linus' answer, they are doing what they can considering their size and current situations. That means that they don't have resources on doing deep dive onto any other companies conduct and would rely 3rd party investigation or whistleblowers from those companies they are working with.

So is it just that you need them to list their requirements for ethical product lines? Or do you actually want something beyond that?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You are talking about a world where increasingly, more and more of consumer goods are made in communist china.  I'm sure LTT would be happy to increase prices 2 to 3x to have their stuff made in-country by, as linus said himself above, disabled veterans. That isn't the world we live in. I hate it too. 

On 12/22/2021 at 6:07 AM, tobias.shen said:

What an interesting first comment

On 9/1/2019 at 2:19 PM, LinusTech said:

The thing I'm most concerned about is whether or not the products are made by unionized work forces. I would love to support LTT by buying a shirt or something, but I'm honestly not interested in buying some random merch that isn't giving its manufacturer's workers the same kind of good will.

2 hours ago, zjdrummond said:

The thing I'm most concerned about is whether or not the products are made by unionized work forces.

What's wrong with ununionized work forces?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

==locked==

this thread was reopened after 2 years

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs