a good time to buy a switch?

CpuTemps

Is it a good time to buy a switch?
or is it kind of late to join in?
what about  exclusives,are there a good number of them now?
what exclusives would you suggest?

Tbh the Switch library isn't that big. Imo, if you aren't going to use it with a TV or with the controllers detached, maybe look at a 3DS/2DSXL, or even a DSi/DSL depending on your budget.

If there's some games you *really* want that are only on Switch, I'd wait to see how the Switch Lite is, though if I had $300 to spend on a console I would probably get a 3DS XL and a bunch of games.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

9 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Tbh the Switch library isn't that big. Imo, if you aren't going to use it with a TV or with the controllers detached, maybe look at a 3DS/2DSXL, or even a DSi/DSL depending on your budget.

If there's some games you *really* want that are only on Switch, I'd wait to see how the Switch Lite is, though if I had $300 to spend on a console I would probably get a 3DS XL and a bunch of games.

How long do you think they are going to support the switch? and i was thinking about getting the lite

2 minutes ago, CpuTemps said:

How long do you think they are going to support the switch? and i was thinking about getting the lite

Probably a long time. The 3DS is still supported and it was released eight years ago.

But I would take a serious look at the 3DS line. They're still damn good systems.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Probably a long time. The 3DS is still supported and it was released eight years ago.

But I would take a serious look at the 3DS line. They're still damn good systems.

I remember seeing something in the past few months that the 3ds is getting phased out soon. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I remember seeing something in the past few months that the 3ds is getting phased out soon. 

Is it really? Damn :c

OP, I'd still recommend it lol. The library is fucking massive and has some amazing titles.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Is it really? Damn :c

OP, I'd still recommend it lol. The library is fucking massive and has some amazing titles.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/04/26/nintendo-3ds-2019-handheld-era/

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

If you're in the US, we are so frickin' close to Black Friday that unless you absolutely need a piece of tech right now, I'd just wait the next couple of months out.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

7 hours ago, aisle9 said:

If you're in the US, we are so frickin' close to Black Friday that unless you absolutely need a piece of tech right now, I'd just wait the next couple of months out.

^ Agree.

On the topic of exclusives, the Switch is getting a good few this year along with some already drop.

The list currently:

Super Mario Odyssey

Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild

Super Mario Party

Super Mario Maker 2

Kirby Star Allies

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Super Smash Bros Ultimate

ARMS

Mario Tennis Aces

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Astral Chain

Splatoon 2

Pokemon: Let's Go

Fire Emblem Warriors

Then upcoming releases:

Luigi's Mansion 3

Pokemon Sword and Shield

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Bayonetta 3 (no announce date yet)

Metroid Prime 4 (no announce date yet)

Yokai Watch 4

Shin Megami Tensei V (no announce date yet)

Daemon X Machina

Town (Working Title) (no announce date yet)

The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening

Yoshi's Crafted World

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

I'd personally buy the full fat $300 Switch instead of the $200 Switch Lite if the $100 price difference isn't game-breaking. Mostly because Super Mario Odyssey has amazing motion controls with split joycons that make the game work much better on the bigscreen. Then occasionally you'll have games like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 that are just too much for the system to run well in handheld mode but are beautiful on the bigscreen. I mostly play my Switch handheld (probably 70/30), but it's nice having the bigscreen as an option. And then Zelda BOTW is pretty stunning to see on a big screen. Though it's also a hell of a game handheld.

If you're thinking of waiting for Black Friday I wouldn't expect a fire sale price like you always see PS4 and XBox One getting at Black Friday. It'll probably be like last year where the Black Friday deal was getting a digital copy of an older first party game (though Gamestop also added a $50 store credit to that deal on BF last year if I remember right). Super Mario Kart 8 was the bundled in game on the BF deal last year. Great game, but I'd be floored if you got a PS4 like Black Friday deal of $200 + free blockbuster game.

The Switch has a pretty strong exclusive library by now between Zelda BOTW, Super Mario Odyssey, Astral Chain, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Super Mario Maker 2, Bayonetta 2 (unless you're one of the 13 people who bought a Wii U), Smash, Octopath Traveler, Pokemon Let's Go, and so on. Plus it's loaded with third party games that are just a blast to play handheld like Dead Cells, Celeste, Guacamelee, Monster Boy, Sonic Mania, Cuphead, Donut County, etc. And then there is A LOT coming this month. Switch has definitely jumped into a must have console if you have the money for it nowadays. The only bad thing about Switch is the games just don't go on the kind of fire sale prices that are commonplace for PS4.

45 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Yoshi's Crafted World

Yoshi's Crafted World is out now. It's really fun too, great game to play handheld for 15 minutes at a time when that's all the time you can spare.

16 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I'd personally buy the full fat $300 Switch instead of the $200 Switch Lite if the $100 price difference isn't game-breaking. Mostly because Super Mario Odyssey has amazing motion controls with split joycons that make the game work much better on the bigscreen. Then occasionally you'll have games like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 that are just too much for the system to run well in handheld mode but are beautiful on the bigscreen. I mostly play my Switch handheld (probably 70/30), but it's nice having the bigscreen as an option. And then Zelda BOTW is pretty stunning to see on a big screen. Though it's also a hell of a game handheld.

If you're thinking of waiting for Black Friday I wouldn't expect a fire sale price like you always see PS4 and XBox One getting at Black Friday. It'll probably be like last year where the Black Friday deal was getting a digital copy of an older first party game (though Gamestop also added a $50 store credit to that deal on BF last year if I remember right). Super Mario Kart 8 was the bundled in game on the BF deal last year. Great game, but I'd be floored if you got a PS4 like Black Friday deal of $200 + free blockbuster game.

The Switch has a pretty strong exclusive library by now between Zelda BOTW, Super Mario Odyssey, Astral Chain, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Super Mario Maker 2, Bayonetta 2 (unless you're one of the 13 people who bought a Wii U), Smash, Octopath Traveler, Pokemon Let's Go, and so on. Plus it's loaded with third party games that are just a blast to play handheld like Dead Cells, Celeste, Guacamelee, Monster Boy, Sonic Mania, Cuphead, Donut County, etc. And then there is A LOT coming this month. Switch has definitely jumped into a must have console if you have the money for it nowadays. The only bad thing about Switch is the games just don't go on the kind of fire sale prices that are commonplace for PS4.

Do games get patched on the switch?(for bugs,res quality update)
Is Xenoblade Chronicles 2 really that bad on handheld because im kinda short on money right now?

5 hours ago, CpuTemps said:

Is Xenoblade Chronicles 2 really that bad on handheld because im kinda short on money right now?

Yeah they get regular patches. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 takes a big hit to resolution on the original Switch in handheld. It makes it look like a really good Gamecube or Wii era game. Still an amazing game though and even if I could only play it handheld in ~480p I would.

A good time to buy a Switch Lite, that will be my next purchase.

On 9/1/2019 at 10:57 PM, kelvinhall05 said:

Actually there are almost twice as many games on the Switch than there are on the 3DS and as others have said the 3DS is basically dead at this point. It may be different in other regions but none of the bigger shops here have it in stock anymore, at least not new. And I can see 5 games released for it in the last year looking on metacritic.

Even on quality the Switch wins hands down. As much as I like the 3DS' library the Switch has incredible depth beyond the first party staples. The 3DS you brought for Zelda, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Pokemon and Animal Crossing. The Switch has that.... but also Overwatch, Skyrim, Rocket League, Bayonetta, Okami, Diablo, Doom, Transistor, Thumper, Dark Souls, Overcooked, Witcher 3. The Switch is like if the Wii U, 3DS and Vita had a baby and that baby was selling well and attracting third party support

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

On 9/2/2019 at 3:22 AM, CpuTemps said:

I played the game both on TV and handheld.  It does take a hit, but I was fine with that as I still greatly enjoyed the game.  Fair warning, one can easily drop 130+ hours into that game.

Oh, also Xenoblade Chronicles, the first one, is getting a port to Switch with cut out content added back in.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 12:53 AM, CpuTemps said:

Is it a good time to buy a switch?
or is it kind of late to join in?
what about  exclusives,are there a good number of them now?
what exclusives would you suggest?

It all depends on you. Me personally i traded in my red box Switch for the Pokemon Edition Switch lite. I have heard great things about the lite if you tend or will mostly use it in handheld mode.

For those who suggests a 3DS, I can't even find a 3DS section in many stores, and those that still do, only has the latest big titles games only, mixed with Switch accessories. The console is dead. No more worthwhile games coming. 

I still go for the "Switch" because I can play AAA titled games anywhere i go.

On 9/12/2019 at 6:14 AM, skywake said:

Even on quality the Switch wins hands down. As much as I like the 3DS' library the Switch has incredible depth beyond the first party staples. The 3DS you brought for Zelda, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Pokemon and Animal Crossing. The Switch has that.... but also Overwatch, Skyrim, Rocket League, Bayonetta, Okami, Diablo, Doom, Transistor, Thumper, Dark Souls, Overcooked, Witcher 3. The Switch is like if the Wii U, 3DS and Vita had a baby and that baby was selling well and attracting third party support

I bought a 3DS mostly for the Shin Megami Tensei series, but the two Bravely games were a nice bonus. Not trying to argue its merits over a Switch in 2019, but the 3DS library is a lot more than first party games.