Windows update errors, multiple BSODs, PC freezing forcing me to shut down

Posted (edited)

As the title suggests, I've been receiving multiple BSODs while using my PC.

I have gotten:

• SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
  • CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
  • KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
  • REGISTRY_ERROR

I'm collecting these BSODs like Infinity Stones at this point. Whenever I'm not presented with the blue screen, at times I'd find my PC freezing. While gaming I've had my PC randomly shut down twice not knowing the issue. I have tried updating my Windows but I am presented with multiple errors even after restarting my computer. The error codes I'd receive: "0x800700de" and "0x800b0003". I can't even launch my PC in safe mode either. I tried gathering more info to help any of you assist me using the "Resource and Performance Monitor" and even that is not doing anything - it's just stuck on the "collecting data for 60 seconds" and I have tried waiting and waiting for hours for it to finish, nothing happens.

Hoping there's a solution to all this before I have to resort into doing a fresh Windows install. I have tons of media and files on here that would be tedious to backup, but if that's what I'll have to do, then so be it. Just want to see if there's anyone able to help me out first before I have to do that.

I also do not have System Restore setup so I am unable to just go back to a restore point.

Specs

• Version: 22H2
    • OS build: 19045.4291
    • Installed on a Silicon Power A55 512 GB 2.5" SSD
  • CPU: 5900X
  • Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
    • BIOS Ver: E7C02AMS.3F0
      • build date: 07/23/22
  • GPU: NVIDIA 3070 FE
    • Driver Ver: 551.86
  • RAM: 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 MHz
  • PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS PLUS 850 W 80+ Gold Certified - fully modular

Google Drive link for the Sysnative BSOD Dump + System File Collection App zip file

As mentioned prior, I could not get Resource and Performance Monitor to work so I am unable to provide that.

windows update error.jpg

windows errors.jpg

Edited by oneRaijin
Added another photo for the other Windows Update error codes I received and some wording/text

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, oneRaijin said:

As the title suggests, I've been receiving multiple BSODs while using my PC.

I have gotten:

• SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
  • CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
  • KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
  • REGISTRY_ERROR

I'm collecting these BSODs like Infinity Stones at this point. Whenever I'm not presented with the blue screen, at times I'd find my PC freezing. While gaming I've had my PC randomly shut down twice not knowing the issue. I have tried updating my Windows but I am presented with multiple errors even after restarting my computer. The error codes I'd receive: "0x800700de" and "0x800b0003". I can't even launch my PC in safe mode either. I tried gathering more info to help any of you assist me using the "Resource and Performance Monitor" and even that is not doing anything - it's just stuck on the "collecting data for 60 seconds" and I have tried waiting and waiting for hours for it to finish, nothing happens.

Hoping there's a solution to all this before I have to resort into doing a fresh Windows install. I have tons of media and files on here that would be tedious to backup, but if that's what I'll have to do, then so be it. Just want to see if there's anyone able to help me out first before I have to do that.

I also do not have System Restore setup so I am unable to just go back to a restore point.

Specs

• Version: 22H2
    • OS build: 19045.4291
    • Installed on a Silicon Power A55 512 GB 2.5" SSD
  • CPU: 5900X
  • Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
    • BIOS Ver: E7C02AMS.3F0
      • build date: 07/23/22
  • GPU: NVIDIA 3070 FE
    • Driver Ver: 551.86
  • RAM: 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 MHz
  • PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS PLUS 850 W 80+ Gold Certified - fully modular

Google Drive link for the Sysnative BSOD Dump + System File Collection App

As mentioned prior, I could not get Resource and Performance Monitor to work so I am unable to provide that.

windows update error.jpg

windows errors.jpg

Honestly no idea about the BSODs

But I'd check drive health and try running a smart test on the drive, at least for a "just in case".

tldr; Had random BSODs out of nowhere once, Turns out a 2 months old NVME that shows as 99% healthy in HD Sentinel, yet fail smart tests diagnostic scan & BSOD when benchmarked using Diskmark. RMA'd the NVME and BSOD stopped.

Hopefully someone else will come and provide you a solution that suits your need soon enough.

Edited by Poinkachu

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

1 hour ago, Poinkachu said:

Honestly no idea about the BSODs

But I'd check drive health and try running a smart test on the drive, at least for a "just in case".

tldr; Had random BSODs out of nowhere once, Turns out a 2 months old NVME that shows as 99% healthy in HD Sentinel, yet fail smart tests & BSOD when benchmarked using Diskmark. RMA'd the NVME and BSOD stopped.

Hopefully someone else will come and provide you a solution that suits your need soon enough.

Sorry about my lack of knowledge but how do I go about running a smart test on the drive via drive health as you said? I searched it up - is it the method where you go into the command prompt and type in "wmic diskdrive get status"? If so, this is what it showed me. I'm assuming "Pred Fail" is not a good thing. I have 4 drives in total, does that represent that 3 are "ok" meaning that they are in good standing while the "pred fail" one is the drive causing issues, most likely my OS drive?

pred fail.jpg

31 minutes ago, oneRaijin said:

Sorry about my lack of knowledge but how do I go about running a smart test on the drive via drive health as you said? I searched it up - is it the method where you go into the command prompt and type in "wmic diskdrive get status"? If so, this is what it showed me. I'm assuming "Pred Fail" is not a good thing. I have 4 drives in total, does that represent that 3 are "ok" meaning that they are in good standing while the "pred fail" one is the drive causing issues, most likely my OS drive?

I just used CrystalDiskInfo to check drive health and to view SMART status.

And used my NVME brand's proprietary software for diagnostic scan. Sorry, I typed "Smart Test" earlier which should've been diagnostic scan.

For Silicon Power I think the proprietary software for that is : https://www.silicon-power.com/web/au/download-ToolBox

Never did what you did using command prompt, but :

https://www.diskpart.com/articles/how-to-check-if-hard-drive-is-failing-windows-10-0725.html

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

There weren't any dump files in the sysnative tool's collection. Could you manually check for dump files? Go to C:\Windows\Minidump and check if you have any minidump files. If you do, go back to the Windows folder and copy the Minidump folder itself to the Downloads folder (You can use the desktop if you don't have OneDrive syncing files). Zip the copied folder and attach it to a post. Please follow the instructions to the letter as Windows doesn't like you messing with files in this location.

On 5/17/2024 at 2:42 AM, Poinkachu said:

I just used CrystalDiskInfo to check drive health and to view SMART status.

And used my NVME brand's proprietary software for diagnostic scan. Sorry, I typed "Smart Test" earlier which should've been diagnostic scan.

For Silicon Power I think the proprietary software for that is : https://www.silicon-power.com/web/au/download-ToolBox

Never did what you did using command prompt, but :

https://www.diskpart.com/articles/how-to-check-if-hard-drive-is-failing-windows-10-0725.html

So I've downloaded CrystalDiskInfo and the health status of my OS drive is at "good 97%". How do I view the "SMART status"?

I also downloaded Silicon Power's ToolBox software and ran a diagnostic scan with no errors to be found.
And I'll go ahead and take a look into that link you posted.

On 5/17/2024 at 4:02 AM, Bjoolz said:

There weren't any dump files in the sysnative tool's collection. Could you manually check for dump files? Go to C:\Windows\Minidump and check if you have any minidump files. If you do, go back to the Windows folder and copy the Minidump folder itself to the Downloads folder (You can use the desktop if you don't have OneDrive syncing files). Zip the copied folder and attach it to a post. Please follow the instructions to the letter as Windows doesn't like you messing with files in this location.

Just checked and the Minidump folder was empty. I apologize if it is a dumb question, but is it supposed to have contents because of the BSODs I've gotten?

8 hours ago, oneRaijin said:

Just checked and the Minidump folder was empty. I apologize if it is a dumb question, but is it supposed to have contents because of the BSODs I've gotten?

It might be creating kernel dumps. Check if you have a file called Memory.dmp right C:\Windows, also check the timestamp if it's recent. If you aren't getting dump files at all there can be several causes.

• Faulty storage
  • Not enough room on the drive with the page file. The page file is where it dumps data during the BSODs screen and it creates a dump file from this data on the next boot. The page file is usually on C:\, but can be on any drive. You can run this command in Powershell to see which drive the page file is on: "Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_PageFileUsage -Property *"
  • The page file is too small. By default the page file size is automatic, but if you have manually changed it it could be too small. The rule of thumb is your amount of RAM + 3-4 GB. This also how much space you need free as a minimum on the drive with the page file.
  • Encrypted storage. The dump process happens outside of Windows so it can't access encrypted drives.

Posted (edited)
On 5/19/2024 at 7:20 AM, Bjoolz said:

It might be creating kernel dumps. Check if you have a file called Memory.dmp right C:\Windows, also check the timestamp if it's recent. If you aren't getting dump files at all there can be several causes.

• Faulty storage
  • Not enough room on the drive with the page file. The page file is where it dumps data during the BSODs screen and it creates a dump file from this data on the next boot. The page file is usually on C:\, but can be on any drive. You can run this command in Powershell to see which drive the page file is on: "Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_PageFileUsage -Property *"
  • The page file is too small. By default the page file size is automatic, but if you have manually changed it it could be too small. The rule of thumb is your amount of RAM + 3-4 GB. This also how much space you need free as a minimum on the drive with the page file.
  • Encrypted storage. The dump process happens outside of Windows so it can't access encrypted drives.

Checked C:\Windows and could not find that file.

I honestly do believe something is wrong with the SSD I have the OS installed in. I have multiple monitors and I would notice the desktop icons randomly refresh every now and then. Every time I boot it, I'm greeted with the same "let's finish setting up your PC" screen even if I exit out of it. It takes longer than usual for it to fully boot up where I can start using the PC opening programs and such and if I don't wait, it will freeze/hitch on me, forcing me to just shut down my PC. Every time I launch Chrome, I always find myself having to sign in to my account, nothing is being saved. I ran the "wmic diskdrive get status" command in Command Prompt and it shows 3 of my drives are in "OK" status while 1 says "Pred Fail" assuming that is my C: drive (this photo is shown in the above replies). I ran the "chkdsk C:" command in Command Prompt and the end result says "Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode." Then I attempt to run "chkdsk C: /f /r /x" to fix the bad sectors but says "The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)". I'm assuming I cannot run it because the drive I am trying to do it on has Windows in it and I am running Windows therefore it can't fix the bad sectors.

The drive where the OS is installed in is currently 262 GB free of 476 GB. I put the command in Powershell and I've attached the photo of the results. It says the C: drive and I could not find it there.

A better solution is probably to just backup everything I need backed up and just nuke the PC, huh? I was thinking just reinstalling Windows in my NVME and swap out the potential botched drive with a new one.

powershell.jpg

Edited by oneRaijin
missed a word

11 hours ago, oneRaijin said:

It says the C: drive and I could not find it there.

You can't see it, it's just to check which drive it's on if you have multiple drives. 

11 hours ago, oneRaijin said:

A better solution is probably to just backup everything I need backed up and just nuke the PC, huh? I was thinking just reinstalling Windows in my NVME swap out the potential botched drive with a new one.

Yes, that's what I would do.