New PC crashes during GPU intensive load, RAM indicator LED turns on.

xCubes

Hi everyone! I built a PC for the first time. The build process seemed to go well, however after just over a day of usage I am now encountering crashes that occur during GPU loads. I noticed it first happen during gaming, where the screen would go black and the only way to get anything to happen was to reset my PC using the power button. Interestingly enough, audio kept playing however. Later on, while trying to do some testing I found that crashing like this was easily reproducible by running the Cinebench GPU benchmark.

After crashing, while resetting the PC, an indicator LED on my motherboard turned on saying that it's a memory related issue, however re-seating my RAM did not fix this, and seems to have instead made it crash slightly faster now. This indicator does turn on every time, meaning that this is at least somewhat related to the cause of the crash. I'm not convinced this is a memory issue however, as the light turns on while things shutdown after I push the power button.

My full specs are as follows:

• CPU: Ryzen 7700x
  • Motherboard: MSI B650-P Wifi, BIOS version E7D78AMS.1C0 (this appears to be the most recent version, and the build date in my BIOS aligns with the release date on MSI's website)
  • RAM: 2x16gb G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5-6000
  • GPU: XFX Speedster SWFT 319 rx6800
  • PSU: Seasonic Focus GX 750W

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, I'm not really certain how to approach troubleshooting this.

3 minutes ago, xCubes said:

an indicator LED on my motherboard turned on saying that it's a memory related issue

Does it turn on and stay on while the system won't turn on unless you reboot, or turn on while the system is turning on and turn off when the system actually boots? If it's the latter, that's expected. If it's the former, yeah that's a memory issue and you should run a memory stress test to verify. 

First thing I'd do though is run DDU in safe mode and reinstall drivers to eliminate this as a driver issue. 

Thanks a bunch for the advice!

It looks like the LED only turns on while the system is turning off and turns off when the system boots. It seems to be doing that during normal reboots as well, meaning that you are correct and it's expected behavior that I misinterpreted.

I went ahead and used DDU to uninstall my drivers, and during the reinstallation process I got a very interesting error saying that the install couldn't proceed as there wasn't an AMD GPU detected. I found this very odd, given that my monitor was currently plugged into an AMD GPU. I went ahead and shut everything down, and proceeded to remove and reinstall my GPU, wondering if there possibly was an issue there. Afterwards, I managed to install drivers without any issues.

I'm currently trying to re-test things with Cinebench like I had been doing, so far it's been running for about 5 minutes but I plan on letting it go for about a half hour before going to sleep (it's 2 am and I really should get some rest and come back to things tomorrow). I'll post a final update before I go to bed, which will either be "things ran for 30 minutes without problems" or "it crashed 😞 ".