i5 4460S on OEM pc is stuck at its base speed and never reaching 3.4ghz

i have intel turbo boost on in my bios, power plan is on high perf. I searched up a fix for this and it told me to change my intelppm in my registry from 3 to 4 but that didnt fix it either so im lost now. i dont have access to overclocking (blck) and is there a fix for this? i tried everything but nothing seemed to work. (yes it is still at 2.9ghz even under load)

15 minutes ago, bluesheep said:

i have intel turbo boost on in my bios, power plan is on high perf. I searched up a fix for this and it told me to change my intelppm in my registry from 3 to 4 but that didnt fix it either so im lost now. i dont have access to overclocking (blck) and is there a fix for this? i tried everything but nothing seemed to work. (yes it is still at 2.9ghz even under load)

If my memory is correct, then turbo boost would only work for single core workloads and when all cores are loaded you would only get base clock. Can you run single core benchmark in CPU-Z and cheks if you get to 3.4 GHz.

P.S: I have seen OEM PCs that never go past base clock.

Maximum boost speed is for single core workloads only. Check https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/80818/intel-core-i54460s-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-40-ghz/specifications.html

If you click on the ? next to the Max Turbo Frequency you should see

Max Turbo Frequency is the maximum single-core frequency at which the processor is capable of operating

It should still boost for multi-core loads, just not as high. It wouldn't surprise me if the OEM has insufficient cooling or power delivery. Or has locked the boost for some other reason.

3 hours ago, bluesheep said:

power plan is on high perf.

That does nothing useful, only wastes power. It prevents the CPU from switching to low power mode when possible, which would also help keep it cooler.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

13 hours ago, bluesheep said:

intelppm

Set intelppm back to its original value. Avoid advice from websites that suggest changing this. They do not know what they are talking about.  

Try running ThrottleStop 9.6

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Post screenshots of the FIVR and TPL windows so I can see how the BIOS has setup your CPU and so I can see what adjustments are not locked and available to you. Open the Limit Reasons window to see if any throttling reasons are lighting up red under the CORE column. The low power C states need to be enabled in the BIOS so Intel Turbo Boost works correctly on a 4460S. 

What version of Windows are you using? There can be performance issues when trying to run Windows 11 on older hardware that is not fully supported by Microsoft. 

The 4460S is a low power CPU with a 65W TDP rating. The amount of turbo boost available might be reduced at full load. ThrottleStop can be useful when trying to work around some of these limitations. 

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/80818/intel-core-i5-4460s-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-40-ghz.html

1 hour ago, unclewebb said:

Set intelppm back to its original value. Avoid advice from websites that suggest changing this. They do not know what they are talking about.  

Try running ThrottleStop 9.6

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Post screenshots of the FIVR and TPL windows so I can see how the BIOS has setup your CPU and so I can see what adjustments are not locked and available to you. Open the Limit Reasons window to see if any throttling reasons are lighting up red under the CORE column. The low power C states need to be enabled in the BIOS so Intel Turbo Boost works correctly on a 4460S. 

What version of Windows are you using? There can be performance issues when trying to run Windows 11 on older hardware that is not fully supported by Microsoft. 

The 4460S is a low power CPU with a 65W TDP rating. The amount of turbo boost available might be reduced at full load. ThrottleStop can be useful when trying to work around some of these limitations. 

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/80818/intel-core-i5-4460s-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-40-ghz.html

bios doesnt have much options since its an oem board but theres turbo mode and virtualization

11 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Maximum boost speed is for single core workloads only. Check https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/80818/intel-core-i54460s-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-40-ghz/specifications.html

If you click on the ? next to the Max Turbo Frequency you should see

It should still boost for multi-core loads, just not as high. It wouldn't surprise me if the OEM has insufficient cooling or power delivery. Or has locked the boost for some other reason.

That does nothing useful, only wastes power. It prevents the CPU from switching to low power mode when possible, which would also help keep it cooler.

the cooling is really good and under load its pulling only 20watts and its 49 celsius

i will try updating my cpu driver

15 minutes ago, bluesheep said:

bios doesnt have much options

That is why I suggested using ThrottleStop. It will give you access to all of the options that you need. 

5 hours ago, unclewebb said:

That is why I suggested using ThrottleStop. It will give you access to all of the options that you need. 

i tried using it and watched a few videos but it is still stuck. how do i turn on cpu boost in registry because that is the only thing i can think of.

4 hours ago, bluesheep said:

i tried using it and watched a few videos but it is still stuck.

Post some ThrottleStop screenshots. Many people that make ThrottleStop YouTube videos have newer CPUs. They may not know how ThrottleStop is supposed to be setup to maximize the speed of a 4th Gen CPU. 

Did you change intelppm Start back to 3? There is no need to edit any values in the registry. 

Push the "Restore plan defaults" button in the Windows - Power Options window to reset your Windows power plan to default values.

image.png.8a2db450e3ff601c2a096b61b6ed8749.png

i changed the intelppm back and the restore power plan defaults but i will send you some throttlestop screenshots