Extremely slow network speed, I get full Internet speed.

ebmar
Network diagram in picture:

When I'm watching 1080p movies on my laptop it stutters and are unwatchable when I'm downloading on the file server.. The laptop are running windows 11 professional, file server are running windows 11 professional (going to change it to Linux, easier to manage and no sudden windows update reboots).

The box is running Jellyfin, and also as a normal windows share. The laptop has full wifi strength. The mesh network are using google nest.

It's impossible to run a cable downstairs. The 2 wifi boxes are pretty much in line from downstairs to upstairs. I get full speed from all my boxes running internet speed test. The file server are a normal pc with 3.5" spinning rust 7200 rpm external drives usb 3.
The laptop and wifi are on the same room. I'm running ethernet 1gb from wifi access point to 1gb ethernet switch.
When I'm doing file transfer, I don't get more than 30Mb/sec.

Any ideas?

network.png

8 hours ago, ebmar said:
When I'm doing file transfer, I don't get more than 30Mb/sec.
Any ideas?

network.png

Depends how the mesh works. 

If its using the same radio to connect the mesh together AND connect to your laptop, then the laptop and file server are contending for the same bandwidth, so it will slow down.  This will be especially bad if the laptop is connected to a repeated 5Ghz signal on the second node, rather than connecting to the primary signal from downstairs.

You may actually find you get better performance connected to the mesh node over 2.4Ghz.

If the mesh uses a dedicated radio, this shouldn't happen.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Depends how the mesh works. 

If its using the same radio to connect the mesh together AND connect to your laptop, then the laptop and file server are contending for the same bandwidth, so it will slow down.  This will be especially bad if the laptop is connected to a repeated 5Ghz signal on the second node, rather than connecting to the primary signal from downstairs.

You may actually find you get better performance connected to the mesh node over 2.4Ghz.

If the mesh uses a dedicated radio, this shouldn't happen.

I added a router without dhcp between the mesh box upstairs and the network. It still didn't do anything.

I can't change anything on the google mesh network, because google being google. And the router I have can't use 2.4ghz, because it's not an option there. I have no idea what I can do to fix this. 

I'm willing to toss out the google mesh boxes and replace them. Any reasonable priced solutions? I only need a wireless bridge from downstairs to upstairs.