People (mainly teenagers) mis using terms that we use in the computer field

NonoZomb1e

So I have had something on my mind for a while now and I wanted to say it to a large group of people. This relates to girls (mainly) but I am sure guys do it to. Is that they like to give their password to someone that they "trust", and say that they have been hacked on their social media account. Ii have seen this happen a decent amount. But I would go on to a social media platform such as Instagram and see these teen girls for example, asking, "Who wants to hack me?". Then you see in the comments that these two individuals are sharing passwords. And that is dangerous to be giving someone your supposedly trust your account credentials. Really they do not even have the slightest idea of what "hacking is". So that just angers me. Has anyone of you guys and or girls had this happen or seen this happen? I just had to say this to a bigger group because when I try to cue the individual for doing that, they blow me off.

Laymen people using tech terms wrong? Not new. You know how sci fi computer stuff still seems to involve a "mainframe?" 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Those damn teenagers. 

It doesn't really matter though, does it? I'd spend more time worrying about the technological incompetence of those making laws and running the country rather than people misusing the word "hack", like they have been for years and years.

Anyone who has supported users over the phone runs into it on every phone call. Some of it is just semantics and a lot of it is misleading when you're trying to drill down on a problem you can't personally see. 

It isn't something you can control and isn't really worth getting frustrated over. It's just part of working in any technical field. 

You do it too, I bet. Try explaining over the phone to the HVAC guy about the weird noise your furnace is making :) 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

I always get a kicked out people saying they were "hacked" on facebook when all the other did was post from a device they were logged into lol

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

Equalize the Heisenberg hologrid with bi-spatial tricorders.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Well... To me you're talking of 2 different things here:

• Teenagers having their sikret language that the grown-ups won't understand (yes! we all used the cool words when we were teenagers to which another meaning was allocated than the "official" one).
  • People who don't know the vocabulary to say what they mean when it's technical.

In my experience, the first can be quite funny, the second can be quite straining.

?

2 hours ago, wasab said:

Equalize the Heisenberg hologrid with bi-spatial tricorders.

activate the flux capacitor for full jump to warp speed using the force.

You mean like when people create new words for things that already have a name and exist?

coil whine - magnetostriction

hack - modify

group regulation - regulation

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

When you gatekeep teens using the word "hack".

That's just sad, lol. Do you really not have anything better to do with your time than to whine about kids using a word? Hell, for all we know, they could be using that word because they don't want to publicly admit that they gave out their password, since that would make them seem stupid.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

When you gatekeep teens using the word "hack".

That's just sad, lol. Do you really not have anything better to do with your time than to whine about kids using a word? Hell, for all we know, they could be using that word because they don't want to publicly admit that they gave out their password, since that would make them seem stupid.

Language evolves and changes, but sometimes it changes too fast to allow valuable communication of a problem.    The issue with the term "hack" is that it has evolved to have several meanings, as a consequence youtube had started censoring benign content.   How far that goes depends on how well people can communicate and come to terms with the issue.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Personally, it is not the term of 'Hack' that bothers me the most here as they are probably just following a trend among others. What bothers me more is the way that they are giving out their passwords to other users without really thinking about it, they need educating about password and profile security. 

Generally, the teens here are looking for the word or term 'control my Instagram account', as often times, a user with a larger follower base will offer their account to others that want to get more attention and grow their followers too through this means of media. I still disagree that using this method is wrong. 

However, I work in IT and whilst non-techie people using the wrong terms for things is annoying, I'd say it only starts to become a problem when they want help from you. For example, I've had plenty of users (where I work) ask me over the summer holidays if I can upgrade their computer to Windows 10... Yet, they already have Windows 10 installed on their device. I now have a pile of about 10 laptops at work that need 'Upgrading' yet they have Win 10 on there already. Sadly, it is things like this that waste your time in IT and it will always happen, users just cannot be bothered to educate themselves even a little to get the most help from someone, fundamentally wasting both my time and their time in the process. 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

56 minutes ago, Brennan_Price said:

Personally, it is not the term of 'Hack' that bothers me the most here as they are probably just following a trend among others. What bothers me more is the way that they are giving out their passwords to other users without really thinking about it, they need educating about password and profile security.

Excuse me ? Imagine me ROFL right now while reading this!

These kids are of the smartphone generation! EVERY-THING has been done to teach them that privacy, passwords are things of the past, has been, useless!

That sharing information about private life is "normal", that it's suspicious or that you are a loser, a nobody if you are not active and sharing on social medias.

And now you want to "educate" them about profile security and passwords?

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Do you really not have anything better to do with your time than to whine about kids using a word?

I want them to get the hell off my lawn!

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

9 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

Excuse me ? Imagine me ROFL right now while reading this!

These kids are of the smartphone generation! EVERY-THING has been done to teach them that privacy, passwords are things of the past, has been, useless!

That sharing information about private life is "normal", that it's suspicious or that you are a loser, a nobody if you are not active and sharing on social medias.

And now you want to "educate" them about profile security and passwords?

I'm not targeting everyone here, just the ones that do this sort of thing. But my point still stands, despite them being in the 'Smartphone Generation' does not mean that they are exempt of needing to learn it. If anything, they are more likely to need to know these kinds of thing because the tech has been given to them from a fairly young age anyway, therefore requiring more education to keep them safe early on.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

1 hour ago, Brennan_Price said:

I'm not targeting everyone here, just the ones that do this sort of thing. But my point still stands, despite them being in the 'Smartphone Generation' does not mean that they are exempt of needing to learn it. If anything, they are more likely to need to know these kinds of thing because the tech has been given to them from a fairly young age anyway, therefore requiring more education to keep them safe early on.

I'm sorry, didn't want to mock you in any way, I just felt so hilarious when I read that.

I do agree with you that they even more need it, but in many ways it's even more hard to make them understand the need of being careful with what they share and how they share it.

Cyber-bullying, the no privacy idea, etc. became so natural, so ingrained already that it is part of their eco-system.

And for that I'm not blaming the parents, as from the very beginning these young ones have been targeted by the social media company as customers.

Edited to add:
Scratch that! I blame the parents who are educated enough to know and let it go with their kids. I won't blame the parents who have not been educated.

Edited by Guest

image.png.62fa73dfdbdc0de0caae3db29dc5ea93.png

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

being a teenager myself I see this sometimes but for some reason its always with girls snapchats or instagrams. Guys generally don't do that stuff where I like

so? nothings new my generation are generally idiots. I dislike being asociated with them.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

In Cobra Kai, one of the dudes uses a bunch of terms wrong, like saying that a laptop is ATX. But then I realized that he was just pretending to know shit so he could steal the dudes laptop. It was a great touch for the show

I am a parent, I don’t use social media, IMO that was a very 2000s thing as I grew up with MySpace and the early days of Facebook before everyone and their grandparents joined.

I grew out of social media in my mid-late 20s and moved onto more fun things, Facebook wasn’t ubiquitous so most places had websites you could go still.

I am quite tech savvy which will prove useful and my work is really good at educating us about security threats and privacy. The only advantage my children will have over me is time and a young mind, I hope that isn’t enough to beat my security but is enough to ensure they learn how to be security aware.

I do see how social media can be good but overused it becomes a huge drain on the quality of modern society, however I have not yet (maybe soon as my child starts school) have I yet to experience anything negative about not using social media.

Let’s see how things go, I know my main job is to educate my children (some parents forget that and think its the schools job, it isn’t, its just there to teach them them the things parents generally cannot).

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

As a teen, yeah we do. Saying CPU for computer. Anyone who does that annoys me to hell.

Just now, SafyreLyons-5LT said:

As a teen, yeah we do. Saying CPU for computer. Anyone who does that annoys me to hell.

Also the other things