People (mainly teenagers) mis using terms that we use in the computer field

NonoZomb1e
12 hours ago, floofer said:

activate the flux capacitor for full jump to warp speed using the force.

Don't forget to neutralize the portable subspace node with electroplasma transporter.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

20 hours ago, NonoZomb1e said:

Really they do not even have the slightest idea of what "hacking is".

Uhhh I think I've been "hacking" computers wrong as well....

8 hours ago, Cora_Lie said:

Edited to add:
Scratch that! I blame the parents who are educated enough to know and let it go with their kids. I won't blame the parents who have not been educated.

I had quite a long discussion with my teenage son arguing that the term "dialed in" simply meant that all the nuts and bolts on his scooter had no slack in them.   He was absolutely convinced it was more to do with fine tuning and balancing and some other special thing you had to get right.  Sometimes the internet provides an environment where there is strong pressure to invent new terms/words.  It seems to give younger people the feeling there thing is unique and special and not something the old fart down the road mastered 30 years ago. 

As I say to my son,  I don't care what people want call anything, but if they want me to understand that they mean to "win", then don't use words like "clutch", because to me that means something very different.   We have to use language appropriate for the situation if we don't want to communicate without issue.

Long story short, If I ask someone to use plain terms or appropriate technical terms (if they are capable) when explaining a problem they want me to fix, yet they insist on using slang or new terminology then they are not going to get any satisfaction, it's both rude and not helpful.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

My short game was dialled in today, I made a clutch putt to win on the last.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

I really think that it's as simple as "to each generation it's own"... That's how a language evolves, the young ones appropriating words and giving them their own meaning to regain power over all the terrible things we make them endure, like... Going to school? Have them do their homework and... HO! The worst thing ! Checking if the homework is done ! And even worse ! Have them stand by their mistake and learn their lesson (figuratively and literally)!

Each "parent" will enforce different things. I now that I'm quite demanding regarding politeness and respect.

Of course I agree with you @mr moose , words have a meaning and if you want to communicate properly and be understood in an efficient manner well, use the right words. If you don't know them, do the best you can.

But, with me, ignorance is only a one time pass. If you don't know once,ok. Twice? You had time to fill up this ignorance well and now no more excuse.

But I think also that another problem and that is typical of the last 2 generations is the "it's good enough!" vs. the "do as best as you can". And that, as a parent it's very difficult to fight against, as that's what is taught as school.

And I'm definitely against the "it's good enough".

It doesn't mean that the "do as best as you can" means that you have to be the best. If you fail it's ok, you're still going to learn a lot from it, but at least one can say "I did my best!"

But welll I derailed off topic here ?

42 minutes ago, wasab said:

Don't forget to neutralize the portable subspace node with electroplasma transporter.

Transiently, accept the LED diode from the gel electrophoresis matrix to pursue a corresponding epitope. Then you have a Wah-LAN networks in the cloud. 

1 minute ago, Cora_Lie said:

I really think that it's as simple as "to each generation it's own"... That's how a language evolves, the young ones appropriating words and giving them their own meaning to regain power over all the terrible things we make them endure, like... Going to school? Have them do their homework and... HO! The worst thing ! Checking if the homework is done ! And even worse ! Have them stand by their mistake and learn their lesson (figuratively and literally)!

Each "parent" will enforce different things. I now that I'm quite demanding regarding politeness and respect.

Of course I agree with you @mr moose , words have a meaning and if you want to communicate properly and be understood in an efficient manner well, use the right words. If you don't know them, do the best you can.

But ignorance is only a one time pass. If you don't know once,ok. Twice? You had time to fill up this ignorance well and now no more excuse.

But I think also that another problem and that is typical of the last 2 generations is the "it's good enough!" vs. the "do as best as you can". And that, as a parent it's very difficult to fight against, as that's what is taught as school.

And I'm definitely against the "it's good enough".

It doesn't mean that the "do as best as you can" means that you have to be the best. If you fail it's ok, you're still going to learn a lot from it, but at least one can say "I did my best!"

But welll I derailed off topic here ?

I agree wholeheartedly with you on that.    Everyone gets an award for trying so no one needs to try.  It drives me bonkers.    I am a trainer at my local footy club,  I watch kids move to other clubs because they want to win,  those kids don't go far because they never learn how to improve themselves and they never learn from losing, they only learn success from finding other people to carry them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

20 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Modulate the subnet. 

Don't worry, i created a backdoor for myself!

*tap* *tap* *tap* and I'm in!

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

4 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

My favorite is when the kids are copying and pasting an HTML template that just needs you to fill in some blanks and they think they're "coding"

Or when they are parroting the last misguided dumb ass thing that was said and they think they are adding to the discussion or educating.

10 hours ago, mr moose said:

I had quite a long discussion with my teenage son arguing that the term "dialed in" simply meant that all the nuts and bolts on his scooter had no slack in them.   He was absolutely convinced it was more to do with fine tuning and balancing and some other special thing you had to get right. 

The phrase "Dialled in" refers to fine tuning something to the optimal setting. By screwing the nuts and bolts in to the point where they were no longer loose, you fastened them to the optimal setting. You "Dialled in" the correct tightness by tightening the nuts and bolts fully. Your son is correct in that "dialled in" usually refers to doing something with precision, it's just in that scenario when it relates to tightening bolts there's not much precision required. Most people wouldn't describe a trivial and unskilled task of tightening nuts and bolts until they are no longer loose as having dialled it in.

10 hours ago, mr moose said:

As I say to my son,  I don't care what people want call anything, but if they want me to understand that they mean to "win", then don't use words like "clutch", because to me that means something very different. 

What does clutch mean to you then? In what way did your son use it that you consider to be incorrect?

"Clutch" when in reference to sports or contests can describe a moment of importance that can sway the outcome of the event. Let's say a game of Basketball where the score is tied and there is only a few seconds left on the clock, and one of the players steals the ball and shoots a 3 pointer. That's a "clutch" situation in a sports game.

verb
verb: clutch; 3rd person present: clutches; past tense: clutched; past participle: clutched; gerund or present participle: clutching
  1. 1.
    grasp (something) tightly.
    "he stood clutching a microphone"
    synonyms: grip, grasp, clasp, cling to, hang on to, clench, hold More
    "he was clutching a pewter tankard"
    reach for, snatch at, make a grab for, catch at, claw at;
    grab, seize, lay (one's) hands on, get one's hands on, grab/seize/take hold of
    "she saved herself from falling further by clutching at a branch"
noun
noun: clutch; plural noun: clutches
  1. 1.
    a tight grasp.
    "she made a clutch at his body"
    • a person's power or control, especially when regarded as inescapable.
      plural noun: someone's clutches
      "Tom had fallen into Amanda's clutches"
      synonyms: power, control, domination, command, mastery, rule, tyranny; More
      hands, hold, grip, grasp, claws, jaws, evil embrace;
      custody, possession, keeping
      "we want to rescue the captives from the clutches of the enemy"
  2. 2.
    a mechanism for connecting and disconnecting an engine and the transmission system in a vehicle, or the working parts of any machine.
    "she let the clutch in and the car surged forward"
    • the pedal operating the clutch in a vehicle.
  3. 3.
    North American
    a clutch bag.

adjective

informalUS
adjective: clutch; comparative adjective: clutcher; superlative adjective: clutchest
  1. 1.
    (in sport) denoting or occurring at a critical situation in which the outcome of a game or competition is at stake.
    "they both are hard-nosed players who seem to thrive in clutch situations"
    • (of a player or action) achieving or characterized by success at a critical moment in a game or competition.
      "a clutch quarterback"

adjective

done or accomplished in a critical situation: a clutch shot that won the basketball game.
dependable in crucial situations: a clutch player.

clutch

adjective

Definition of clutch (Entry 3 of 4)

1 : made or done in a crucial situation a clutch hit
2 : successful in a crucial situation a clutch pitcher a clutch hitter

Words can have more than one meaning which is why context is important. If you and your son are watching a sports game and he sees a last minute tackle or pass or something that results in the team scoring or changing the outcome of the game, then he would be correct to say "Wow, what a clutch victory!". Same thing if he's playing Fortnite and he's the only player left against a team of 4 and he has low health yet he somehow manages to win the game - also a clutch victory. It should be obvious due to the context that he is not discussing the clutch of a vehicles transmission.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

15 minutes ago, Spotty said:

What does clutch mean to you then? In what way did your son use it that you consider to be incorrect?

I didn't say it was incorrect, I said if he wants me to understand what he is talking about then he has to use language that we both understand.  To him the word clutch apparently means to win, if you clutch the game you win the game, I did not know this (it seems to be a new term) and he kept telling me how others were demanding he clutch the match.  I couldn't help him because I had no idea what that was talking about.   

His lesson was to think about the person he is talking to and use the most appropriate language he can, like the word "win" around old people who don't communicate in his circles or not often with his age group.   Which to me (as someone who has worked in education (primary)) is a very important lesson regardless of age or possible barriers. If we aren't mindful of how our message could be interpreted then we risk communication problems that could be solved with a quick rewording or question.

EDIT: also no one is going to consult a dictionary when they encounter a homograph used a little bit out of definition (as words trend to when they evolve) and that they have rarely if ever experienced before.  

Just now, mr moose said:

I didn't say it was incorrect, I said if he wants me to understand what he is talking about then he has to use language that we both understand.  To him the word clutch apparently means to win, if you clutch the game you win the game, I did not know this (it seems to be a new term) and he kept telling me how others were demanding he clutch the match.  I couldn't help him because I had no idea what that was talking about.  

See the definitions above, but TLDR; basically it refers to a critical point in a game/sporting event/contest where the outcome is decided either through an act or a player.
A "clutch" could refer to a try scored in the last few seconds of a game, or a defensive play that blocks the opposition from scoring.
To contrast that, if they were playing football (soccer) and their team were leading 3-1 at the 75th minute, it would not be a 'clutch' victory if they went on to win the game since they were already winning.

It's not synonymous with victory, rather it is an adjective that can be used to describe a victory.

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

His lesson was to think about the person he is talking to and use the most appropriate language he can, like the word "win" around old people who don't communicate in his circles or not often with his age group.   Which to me (as someone who has worked in education (primary)) is a very important lesson regardless of age or possible barriers. If we aren't mindful of how our message could be interpreted then we risk communication problems that could be solved with a quick rewording or question.

I'm not sure how old your son is, but if you've worked around primary school aged kids you should be aware that their understanding of the world is limited. They might not understand that words come in and out of popularity or that meanings can change. They just think that the words are, always have been, and always will be what they know it as. It's not until you're older and have your own kids telling you that "groovy" is no longer cool to say that you realise how language changes over generations and demographics ?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

See the definitions above, but TLDR; basically it refers to a critical point in a game/sporting event/contest where the outcome is decided either through an act or a player.
A "clutch" could refer to a try scored in the last few seconds of a game, or a defensive play that blocks the opposition from scoring.
To contrast that, if they were playing football (soccer) and their team were leading 3-1 at the 75th minute, it would not be a 'clutch' victory if they went on to win the game since they were already winning.

It's not synonymous with victory, rather it is an adjective that can be used to describe a victory.

After I question what he meant he simply used the word "win".  He was using it as a direct alternative to winning.   Nothing else.   But as I said before,  that is not a common term used to describe winning a game, in fact around here (and over the last 40 years of being in and around both video games and conventional sports) it is not even a common term used to define any crucial point of a game/match, hence the confusion.

I'm not sure how old your son is, but if you've worked around primary school aged kids you should be aware that their understanding of the world is limited.

Yes, that is why we teach them.  Well, I help them access the education and do early intervention, teachers do the actual teaching.

They might not understand that words come in and out of popularity or that meanings can change.

Many adults don't even understand this. 

They just think that the words are, always have been, and always will be what they know it as. It's not until you're older and have your own kids telling you that "groovy" is no longer cool to say that you realise how language changes over generations and demographics ?

Hence why I have educated him to better consider language and its use.  language changes from locality as well as generation.  Today's language appears to be changing faster than it ever has before,  which isn't too surprising,  we are getting faster exponentially and need to communicate more quickly,  so condensing whole ideas and sentences into single simple words actually makes sense.    I see a lot of issues in current events today that seem to stem mostly from communication errors more than anything else.

This also aplys to "whatsapp hacking apps" which just use whatsapp web...

39 minutes ago, mr moose said:

After I question what he meant he simply used the word "win".  He was using it as a direct alternative to winning.   Nothing else.   But as I said before,  that is not a common term used to describe winning a game, in fact around here (and over the last 40 years of being in and around both video games and conventional sports) it is not even a common term used to define any crucial point of a game/match, hence the confusion.

Yes, that is why we teach them.  Well, I help them access the education and do early intervention, teachers do the actual teaching.

Many adults don't even understand this. 

Hence why I have educated him to better consider language and its use.  language changes from locality as well as generation.  Today's language appears to be changing faster than it ever has before,  which isn't too surprising,  we are getting faster exponentially and need to communicate more quickly,  so condensing whole ideas and sentences into single simple words actually makes sense.    I see a lot of issues in current events today that seem to stem mostly from communication errors more than anything else.

I disagree in the esl one csgo matches the terme clutch is often used if one player wins the match getting 3 frags etc

11 minutes ago, ianspy1 said:

I disagree in the esl one csgo matches the terme clutch is often used if one player wins the match getting 3 frags etc

disagree with what? I can see the term clutch having a few different meanings but I am not sure I follow what was wrong in my situation.

3 hours ago, evanssophiya said:

I completely agree with you. We're just to tell them about it and prove that it is really important to hide passwords etc... And to be  an active social life not equal to share passwords

I have plenty more to say on this subject but I'd say that this sort of educating is probably all we can do, keeping them away from social media is very difficult. If I had my way, I'd say that only kids of age 16 and above should be able to get smart phones (and hence access to social media etc), simply because they're likely to do stupid things that they'll regret in their later years on these platforms. 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

On 7/28/2019 at 2:24 AM, NonoZomb1e said:

So I have had something on my mind for a while now and I wanted to say it to a large group of people. This relates to girls (mainly) but I am sure guys do it to. Is that they like to give their password to someone that they "trust", and say that they have been hacked on their social media account. Ii have seen this happen a decent amount. But I would go on to a social media platform such as Instagram and see these teen girls for example, asking, "Who wants to hack me?". Then you see in the comments that these two individuals are sharing passwords. And that is dangerous to be giving someone your supposedly trust your account credentials. Really they do not even have the slightest idea of what "hacking is". So that just angers me. Has anyone of you guys and or girls had this happen or seen this happen? I just had to say this to a bigger group because when I try to cue the individual for doing that, they blow me off.

Spoiler

image.png.ea095a18a8b57757d5fcddd98d3bcf52.png

it's technically "hacking" if you go by the "common use" definition.

hacking doesn't necessarily require much in the way of actual computer skills by the common definitions of the word "hacking". look at skiddies who "hack" using tools somebody else made, for example.

as for whether or not they should share passwords to those they trust; that's entirely on them. if someone does something illegal or against TOS wherever the account is set up, it's on the user of the account, because they shared their password in the first place.

i used to get wound up by people saying the wrong words for things, but i've realised it's inconsequencial to me whatsoever, unless they're treating someone badly for saying something they think is wrong.

Hacking is beyond help at this point. There should have been ad campaing on correct uses back in late 90s to prevent mistakes. Imo its not worth mentioning.

The misused term I hate most is "lag". It has become universal term to cover all slowness that happens mainly in gaming, but also more and more with general use of different OS'. I remember to remind people (while helping them) that it really is supposed to describe network issues. Not fps drops, stuttering, micro-stutters, freezing, warping (which funny enough is also network term), sluggishness etc.

Another is "legal/illegal" when talking about using grey markets to obtain software. Thats too much circumstantial in relation to laws of each country to be used in that sense. For example in my country buying illegally obtained items is only illegal when you aware for certain that they are obtained illegally. Otherwise you cannot be held responsible aka not fined or arrested.

"Mac vs PC" is also one thing. As currently they aren't so different as they were when PC = IBM and Mac = Apple.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

"Mac vs PC" is also one thing. As currently they aren't so different as they were when PC = IBM and Mac = Apple.

A pet peeve of mine is when people try to compare two items that aren't in the same category. For example, a statement that sounds something like 'Apple is better than Windows'. In this case, Apple is a manufacturer but Windows is an operating system; it's not a good comparison. It should read 'Apple is better than Microsoft' since those are both manufacturers or 'Mac OS is better than Windows' since those are operating systems. It bugs me in the phone arena too and I don't know why.

Yes I realize how petty and stupid this is. 

On 7/29/2019 at 5:15 PM, Stylized_Violence said:

A pet peeve of mine is when people try to compare two items that aren't in the same category. For example, a statement that sounds something like 'Apple is better than Windows'. In this case, Apple is a manufacturer but Windows is an operating system; it's not a good comparison. It should read 'Apple is better than Microsoft' since those are both manufacturers or 'Mac OS is better than Windows' since those are operating systems. It bugs me in the phone arena too and I don't know why.

Yes I realize how petty and stupid this is. 

I am gonna go punch something.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

On 7/28/2019 at 3:28 AM, fasauceome said:

Laymen people using tech terms wrong? Not new. You know how sci fi computer stuff still seems to involve a "mainframe?" 

On 7/28/2019 at 3:29 AM, Oshino Shinobu said:

Modulate the subnet. 

I'm still waiting for the day they'll use "hashtag the Twitter" on a police procedural.

I don't quite give a crap when it's teenagers doing this (I've watched enough COD trolling videos to know that the gender of the person is entirely irrelevant when it comes to using "hacking" incorrectly). Teenagers make mistakes, they're forced to gain basic knowledge of how the world works in the span of about six years so they can go from their ignorantly blissful childhood to the nihilistic hellscape that is their 20s. They get a LOT of information during their time in school and people misusing jargon outside of their general field of interest doesn't bother me.

What does bother me is that I reported a scam website to the police a few years ago and was reassured that it was "just a virus". Or that someone with access to Ted Cruz's Twitter account liked a porn tweet and they claimed that it was the result of a hack.

Hell, I'm more bothered by the headlines claiming that Russia hacked the DNC's e-mails in 2016 when it turned out that the only thing they did was prove that John Podesta is not the smartest cookie on the planet.