DeepText - Instagram tests out AI bullying deterrent

rcmaehl
4 hours ago, mr moose said:

It's not essential, but neither is being able to hear or speak.  Once you start putting impediments into what is essential a large part of developmental communication in society you start to isolate from the per group.  And we are not talking about just Instagram, we are talking about bullying and harassment which crosses all social media platforms, which means the isolation is from all platforms not just one.

And yes I did just associate the importance of being able to socialize in mainstream society to being able to speak, it is very crucial in development.

https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/140/Supplement_2/S67

This underpins my experiences working with teenagers in developmental years and the effects social media has.  It also indicates the extent to which it is a part of social engagement.  If you take that away you literally take away a huge component of social engagement.

Social engagement in the form of social media is superficial at best and detrimental at worst. You don't need to use it to have meaningful interactions with your peers contrary to popular belief. If anything it becomes harder because it's much less productive than most other forms of interactions you can have. Is social media maybe easier to get social engagement on? Probably yes but I would argue it is a lazy way out and isn't helpful in the long run. 

5 hours ago, jerkwagon said:

no one was saying it wasont avoidable,  the meme said it would go away if you dont go on the internet. 

I mean for all practical purposes it does go away. 

49 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Social engagement in the form of social media is superficial at best and detrimental at worst. You don't need to use it to have meaningful interactions with your peers contrary to popular belief. If anything it becomes harder because it's much less productive than most other forms of interactions you can have. Is social media maybe easier to get social engagement on? Probably yes but I would argue it is a lazy way out and isn't helpful in the long run. 

You aren't even going to read the link I provided?  Like it or not social media is as much a part of social development now as face to face interaction.

By and large, extant research has found that youth use social media in the service of critical adolescent developmental tasks, such as identity development, aspirational development, and peer engagement.4,8 As adolescents seek intimacy with their peers and strive for autonomy, their online environments frequently reflect their off-line lives.9 In contrast to early online applications, which were seen as refuges from real life,10 today’s online environments reflect, complement, and reinforce off-line relationships, practices, and processes

They are intertwined and by removing online social participation you are handicapping the child's development to half of what their peers experience.  It also might interest you to know that majority of developmental learning is peer based.  This means children develop and become successful learning how to be a person in reality from their friends and social networks.  This happens digitally and in person.   IF you cut a child off from half of those interactions you start to limit their ability to develop as part of their community. 

It is noted by many studies that social experience plays an important roll in academic success,  especially in environments where communication and the ability to collaborate exist.  Social media actually plays quite strongly into social collaboration.

Social experience outside school may prepare children more or less well for the kinds
of ways they are expected to talk and interact in joint educational activity.

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Education/documents/2007/12/14/learning.pdf

EDIT: just one more afterthought,  if social media only played such a superficial role on social communication/development then why would bullying become such a huge problem?  If it were possible for people to simply ignore the bully or stop using the platform then that's what would have happened naturally. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

16 hours ago, jerkwagon said:

jokes are supposed to be funny, dumb meme are not funny,  like that one is just there to stir the pot.. being a troll is only funny for one person. 

Just because you don't find it funny doesn't mean the joke isn't funny for others. Stop trying to police others becaue you specifically got offended by something. Different strokes for different folks. I joke about everything, because I enjoy taking humour to its limits. I find it funny. I shouldn't be banned from doing so just because YOU got offended by it.

1 minute ago, LePawel said:

Just because you don't find it funny doesn't mean the joke isn't funny for others. Stop trying to police others becaue you specifically got offended by something. Different strokes for different folks. I joke about everything, because I enjoy taking humour to its limits. I find it funny. I shouldn't be banned from doing so just because YOU got offended by it.

And by the same token if someone wants to call you out for something they consider to be dumb,  why should you get to police what they have to say?  The street is two way.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

And by the same token if someone wants to call you out for something they consider to be dumb,  why should you get to police what they have to say?  The street is two way.

Say what you want, don't stop me from saying what I want because you find it offensive. I have a right to joke, you have a right to tell me you don't like it and I have a right to tell you go f yourself if I feel like it on top of it all.

Private companies that operate virtual monopolies on modern communication trying to tell you what you can and cannot say, what "may be" inappropriate or suggesting you're out of line is precisely what stop me from joking and you from telling me you think they're not funny.

Once you start censoring selectively to cater to a group of people, you'll get more groups asking for same treatment, ending up with UK Police proactively scanning twitter for "hate incidents", whatever they are or Canadian universities bringing a student to tears during a disciplinary meeting because she played a YT video they didn't agree with.

The street is two way indeed and let's keep it that way.

5 minutes ago, LePawel said:

Say what you want, don't stop me from saying what I want because you find it offensive. I have a right to joke, you have a right to tell me you don't like it and I have a right to tell you go f yourself if I feel like it on top of it all.

Private companies that operate virtual monopolies on modern communication trying to tell you what you can and cannot say, what "may be" inappropriate or suggesting you're out of line is precisely what stop me from joking and you from telling me you think they're not funny.

Once you start censoring selectively to cater to a group of people, you'll get more groups asking for same treatment, ending up with UK Police proactively scanning twitter for "hate incidents", whatever they are or Canadian universities bringing a student to tears during a disciplinary meeting because she played a YT video they didn't agree with.

excellent, so how do you draw a line between a joke and being a fuckwit?  Largely this conversation is not about censoring people or extreme left wing politics trying to strong arm people from free thought. It's just about people not being dicks unnecessarily.  There is no link between suggesting people don't say insulting things and extreme censorship. 

9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

excellent, so how do you draw a line between a joke and being a fuckwit?  Largely this conversation is not about censoring people or extreme left wing politics trying to strong arm people from free thought. It's just about people not being dicks unnecessarily.  There is no link between suggesting people don't say insulting things and extreme censorship. 

They're in too deep. Practically impossible to make them see their cognitive dissonance. Being nice to one another isn't "cool" these days. You make a comment about it and people accuse you of censoring. 

Gonna digress a bit here, but I genuinely think people should spend 1 year in Japan to get a different perspective on how the world works. Harmony, humility and being good to others regardless of how close/distant you are is the minimum. The West can't seem to figure that part out yet. 

After modding a 50k FB group for a year... all I can say is that I'd love a feature like this.
But, it being FB y'just know the AI would be a flaming heap of garbage.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

18 hours ago, Chett_Manly said:

Words on a screen cannot hurt you unless you have a weak mind. Cyberbullying is 100% about weakness. About people who are so weak they break down into tears over some pixels. They don't have to break down into tears, they can become strong, they can gain the ability to choose to not care.

Do you want this forum to bully you to help you grow stronger?

No one has ever been able to sustain harassment for a long period of time without suffering from it, even the strongest of us all. It has been an increasing pattern in society and it's one of the reason unhappiness is paramount in our societies.

1 hour ago, LePawel said:

You do know that you only have rights because other people accept those rights? If you're a dick to people, those people don't have any obligations to grant you the rights you feel entitled to, so why should they?

People should start to learn that what they think their rights are figure of their imagination.

Go read philosophy book about the societal construction. One the easier one on that would be Hobbes' Leviathan, and you'll understand that you don't have those "rights" you think you are as long as others recognise them.

In that case it's not about censoring, it's about punishing people who make living together impossible.

30 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

You do know that you only have rights because other people accept those rights? If you're a dick to people, those people don't have any obligations to grant you the rights you feel entitled to, so why should they?

People should start to learn that what they think their rights are figure of their imagination.

Go read philosophy book about the societal construction. One the easier one on that would be Hobbes' Leviathan, and you'll understand that you don't have those "rights" you think you are as long as others recognise them.

In that case it's not about censoring, it's about punishing people who make living together impossible.

People don't "grant" me shit. Government and law dictates what I can and cannot do. People have no right to shut me down because they don't agree with what I say.

You can philosophy your point across all you want, but this is absolutely about censorship, it snowballed in multiple cases throughout history, but I guess they just didn't implement it properly.

Different people handle different situations differently. I don't care about people being dicks to me on the net, becuase it's the net. I've experienced what falls under "cyber bullying" plenty of times, but I have no problems recognising that some weirdo from a forum cannot harm me with his words, because I've faced these multiple times and was taught how to react to these things.

Back to your great plan of punishing anyone that wrong-thinks:

Who decides what's offensive?

Who decides what the punishment is? You? The offended? "AI"?

What qualifies "living together impossible"? Is life really impossible if someone on instagram tells you you look like shit?

Internet is already shifted to nothing but positive feedback loops, even this forum lost the dislike button. Reality isn't like that. And trying to treat (as some mentioned here) half of people's lifes as some weird bubble where no disagreement can happen and everyone is only Black Mirroring 5-star reviews up each others asses to get a better social score won't work.

We're actively creating a generation of perpetually depressed, self-harming, mentally-disordered weak humans that can't handle a word of criticism, opposite views or actual bullying, precisely because we're trying the impossible of shielding people from all of these things, rather than teaching them how to face them and deal with them.

20 hours ago, jerkwagon said:

I'm a stupid moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt smells and... I like to kiss my own butt.

How in the world do you kiss your own but

✨FNIGE✨

7 hours ago, mr moose said:

You aren't even going to read the link I provided?  Like it or not social media is as much a part of social development now as face to face interaction.

They are intertwined and by removing online social participation you are handicapping the child's development to half of what their peers experience.  It also might interest you to know that majority of developmental learning is peer based.  This means children develop and become successful learning how to be a person in reality from their friends and social networks.  This happens digitally and in person.   IF you cut a child off from half of those interactions you start to limit their ability to develop as part of their community. 

It is noted by many studies that social experience plays an important roll in academic success,  especially in environments where communication and the ability to collaborate exist.  Social media actually plays quite strongly into social collaboration.

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Education/documents/2007/12/14/learning.pdf

EDIT: just one more afterthought,  if social media only played such a superficial role on social communication/development then why would bullying become such a huge problem?  If it were possible for people to simply ignore the bully or stop using the platform then that's what would have happened naturally. 

Again I don't see how it makes a difference. People got by just fine before social media and developed just fine and I would argue often times much better than people today. Social media is a cancer that is destroying the mental health of children. Rates of anxiety depression and suicide has increased dramatically in teenagers since the creation of social media

https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.com/5550803/depression-suicide-rates-youth/%3famp=true 

You want to say that staying away from social media would cripple one's social development but I would argue that using it is far more detrimental to one's mental health than any sort of benefit it might have. The use of social media by children and teenagers is setting them up for failure and it's sad to hear people say it's nessisary when it really isn't. 

everyone responds differently to bullying and some people have it a lot easier to recover from it. this is a much deeper and more complicated than most people think.

As long as it's only used for Bullying, I got no problems with it. Once they start using it to shape a narrative, it becomes a problem. 

6 hours ago, laminutederire said:

You realize people have rights because the government protects them? It's like how a racist might not accept a black person's right to be served at a restaurant but that doesn't mean they don't have the right because under the law they are legally guaranteed that right. What someone thinks has literally bo bearing on a person's rights because they are clearly defined by law and not the thoughts and feelings of others. Now the thing about rights is that they allow someone to do something but that doesn't mean people have to like or accept their behavior. 

IT: some people that being bombarded with abuse 24/7 is somehow good for you.

Cyber bullying is not something you can just ignore. Even in high school it's almost impossible to not be online, and the avenues for abuse are many and varied. 

4 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Again I don't see how it makes a difference. People got by just fine before social media and developed just fine and I would argue often times much better than people today. Social media is a cancer that is destroying the mental health of children. Rates of anxiety depression and suicide has increased dramatically in teenagers since the creation of social media

https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.com/5550803/depression-suicide-rates-youth/%3famp=true 

You want to say that staying away from social media would cripple one's social development but I would argue that using it is far more detrimental to one's mental health than any sort of benefit it might have. The use of social media by children and teenagers is setting them up for failure and it's sad to hear people say it's nessisary when it really isn't. 

I disagree with you on people getting by "just fine". Are you telling me that everything was fine and dandy until social media came along? It wasn't. 

Despite the thread here being that you can just "ignore" cyberbullying, you state clearly that its use is dramatically effecting teenagers. While I fully support reduced usage, should we not help people to use it for its many possible positive uses instead of negative ones? That's what this bot is for.

---

I think it's also worth saying that teenagers today have a lot of anxiety not just because of petty high school arguments. Teenagers face great uncertainty in the job market and the future of the climate. Having someone you can't identify tell you they're going to kill you doesn't help at all, and it's not going to make you a better person. 

That's an F in the profile pic

On 7/9/2019 at 4:01 PM, RejZoR said:

Stop being weak and perpetually offended. There you go. Bullying solved.

Stop being insufferable assholes who think bullying people is acceptable. There you go. Bullying solved.

On 7/9/2019 at 5:10 PM, DildorTheDecent said:

>You are so ugly and stupid

>You are

Imagine actually using "You are" in current year. Fucking Instagram ?️rainlets.

Thou art repulsive and dim of wit

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

Stop being insufferable assholes who think bullying people is acceptable. There you go. Bullying solved.

Thou art repulsive and dim of wit

You know people are assholes, especially teenagers. But if you know how to mentally dismiss them or roast them back without feeling bad, that solves all the problems for you whether platform has the glorious Ai keeping you safe or not. Not to mention how almost all platforms offer reporting, muting and blocking. just mute and let them bark into abyss. They won't even know no one is listening to their shit unlike when you block them.

Just now, RejZoR said:

You know people are assholes, especially teenagers. But if you know how to mentally dismiss them or roast them back without feeling bad, that solves all the problems for you whether platform has the glorious Ai keeping you safe or not.

That doesn't matter, it helps to be able to shake it off but you can't blame the victim for this. Plus, the victims are often also teens who don't necessarily have the same psychological resilience as an adult. If you've never been insecure about anything good for you, that doesn't give you the right to dismiss those who are and have a right to live their life without being harassed or bullied as much as anyone else. The AI is there to warn the bully that they might be banned for that sort of behavior and adds a small barrier to hitting that post button, which can make a difference; sometimes all it takes is to think twice about what you're doing to realize it's a bad idea.

7 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Not to mention how almost all platforms offer reporting, muting and blocking. just mute and let them bark into abyss. They won't even know no one is listening to their shit unlike when you block them.

Except these situations don't always exist in a vacuum. If you know the person in real life blocking them might mean you'll never hear the end of it at school or what have you. You'd have people like yourself making fun of you because you're "offended" and should "grow a thicker skin" and whoever is bullying you would feel even more inclined to tormenting you. Muting them might be a bit better but just having those comments under your posts, even if you don't directly see them, increases the social pressure on you among those you know irl who have seen them.

And honestly why is blocking or muting a more legitimate tool than warning potential bullies? These are all just band aids on a bigger problem, which is people acting like dipshits; if you can't address the problem at the core any addition that might make it better is a good thing. Shifting the blame on the victims is the least helpful thing you can do.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Froody129 said:

IT: some people that being bombarded with abuse 24/7 is somehow good for you.

Cyber bullying is not something you can just ignore. Even in high school it's almost impossible to not be online, and the avenues for abuse are many and varied. 

I disagree with you on people getting by "just fine". Are you telling me that everything was fine and dandy until social media came along? It wasn't. 

Despite the thread here being that you can just "ignore" cyberbullying, you state clearly that its use is dramatically effecting teenagers. While I fully support reduced usage, should we not help people to use it for its many possible positive uses instead of negative ones? That's what this bot is for.

---

I think it's also worth saying that teenagers today have a lot of anxiety not just because of petty high school arguments. Teenagers face great uncertainty in the job market and the future of the climate. Having someone you can't identify tell you they're going to kill you doesn't help at all, and it's not going to make you a better person. 

I honestly don't see any way to fix all the self image and insecurity issues that result from social media. I can't think of a benefit that justifies its use. Also I was saying that there was never an issue that kids were dealing with before social media that is somehow now solved with social media. Seeing as how messed up young people's self esteem is by social media and the effects it us having on their mental health I think I can safely say that things were better before it's invention. I would say lower rates of depression anxiety and suicide is better. 

#

2 hours ago, Froody129 said:

Cyber bullying is not something you can just ignore

Yes you can

Even in high school it's almost impossible to not be online, 

Yes you can

and the avenues for abuse are many and varied.  

Learn to punch back, that's the advice my father gave me

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>