DeepText - Instagram tests out AI bullying deterrent

rcmaehl

Source:
Time (Best Read)
Phys

Digital Trends (Quote Sources)

Summary:

Instagram is rolling out AI to warn users when their comments are considering bullying or trolling

Media:
instagram bullying restrict nasty comments instagramwarning

Quotes/Excerpts:

Instagram is trying to stop bullying and trolling on its platform by warning people before they post offensive comments. The new A.I.-powered feature will detect potentially nasty content and ask the offending user if they still want to post it. The new feature is aimed at deterring bullying. The social network has already used artificial intelligence to detect all kinds of harmful content... but the new warning aims to stop negativity before it gets posted. “From early tests of this feature, we have found that it encourages some people to undo their comment and share something less hurtful once they have had a chance to reflect.” Instagram also introduced what’s essentially a shadowban feature. Users can now “Restrict” others, which means that person can still comment on your posts, but the comments will only be visible to them. Restricted users won’t be able to see if you’ve read their messages or see when you’re active on Instagram. A 2017 study found that 17% of teens are bullied online, and the majority of that cyberbullying happens over Instagram.

My Thoughts:

It's been a slow news week for me with the Ryzen, Radeon, and Nvidia launches overshadowing most of my feeds. Regardless, it's good to see websites attempting to ensure impulsive toxicity remains at a minimum. I'm not saying you can't be mad at a person, company, or entity, but sometimes you just need a reminder, that yeah... maybe I shouldn't post that, especially as a teenager.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Muhahahaha

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

How to solve cyber bullying:

image.png.a73872fcef14a817de44468241cb53f4.png

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

29 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Stop being weak and perpetually offended. There you go. Bullying solved.

Bullying isn't about weakness

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Instead of teaching people to be adults with strong mental facilities that can laugh off mean comments, we are going to try to police speech, creating an atmosphere that is productive of creating mentally weak people, who will need ever more and more protection from their bad feelings. 

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" was a hell of a lot better for society. 

I'm a stupid moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt smells and... I like to kiss my own butt.

Ryzen 5 -5600x

ASUS x570

EVGA 3080 XC3

4x8gb 3600 mhz XPG

10 minutes ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

How to solve cyber bullying:

image.png.a73872fcef14a817de44468241cb53f4.png

ummm that makes no sense at all,  thats like saying, you can solve poverty by closing your eyes because since you can not see it, it doesnt exist. 

not sure how old you are, but the whole cyberbullying is a huge deal with kids these days i have also witnessed it a lot as well with grown men.. its pretty sad.

Ryzen 5 -5600x

ASUS x570

EVGA 3080 XC3

4x8gb 3600 mhz XPG

4 minutes ago, Chett_Manly said:

Instead of teaching people to be adults with strong mental facilities that can laugh off mean comments, we are going to try to police speech, creating an atmosphere that is productive of creating mentally weak people, who will need ever more and more protection from their bad feelings. 

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" was a hell of a lot better for society. 

So how is it not mentally weak to bully someone? And you think we should foster that?

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

5 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

Words on a screen cannot hurt you unless you have a weak mind. Cyberbullying is 100% about weakness. About people who are so weak they break down into tears over some pixels. They don't have to break down into tears, they can become strong, they can gain the ability to choose to not care.

7 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

Yes, yes it is. If people just brushed off such shit and muted (not blocked!) such idiots and problem goes away. And you're in control. Instead, everyone expects companies to babysit them. Heh.

5 minutes ago, jerkwagon said:

ummm that makes no sense at all,  thats like saying, you can solve poverty by closing your eyes because since you can not see it, it doesnt exist. 

not sure how old you are, but the whole cyberbullying is a huge deal with kids these days i have also witnessed it a lot as well with grown men.. its pretty sad.

jesus christ, this is exactly the point. No one can take a joke anymore...

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

2 minutes ago, keskparane said:

So how is it not mentally weak to bully someone? And you think we should foster that?

Bullying is human nature, you are not going to get rid of it. Try as you might but it is the result of thousands of years of evolution. Censorship to try and achieve this will fail, the people that are produced in this system would be so fragile they likely would commit suicide over the smallest slight, and society will likely lose the ability for people to stand up and tell someone else "No, your idea is shit".

5 minutes ago, Chett_Manly said:

Words on a screen cannot hurt you unless you have a weak mind. Cyberbullying is 100% about weakness. About people who are so weak they break down into tears over some pixels. They don't have to break down into tears, they can become strong, they can gain the ability to choose to not care.

3 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Yes, yes it is. If people just brushed off such shit and muted (not blocked!) such idiots and problem goes away. And you're in control. Instead, everyone expects companies to babysit them. Heh.

That wasn't what I was trying to say, you seem to think that there's only one comment, or one guy (definitely not these kinds of comments though), but it's different when a lot of people are against you, and at some point it starts to hurt people, i've seen it happen and it's sad

People think online bullying is bad? Everyone hidden behind mutes, blocks and "Ai" anti-bullying systems. What the fuck we had when some jackass was harassing you in person? We couldn't just turn off a computer or close the browser. You had to actually deal with the bullying that very moment. But kids now have it hard, yup. LMAO

EDIT:

I was made fun by idiots on a local forum. And they kept on doing it for as long as I was on the defense. As soon as I started playing their game and roasting them back they stopped. Never show you're offended. That shows you're weak and they smell weak people half way across the world.

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

People think online bullying is bad? Everyone hidden behind mutes, blocks and "Ai" anti-bullying systems. What the fuck we had when some jackass was harassing you in person? We couldn't just turn off a computer or close the browser. You had to actually deal with the bullying that very moment. But kids now have it hard, yup. LMAO

who said it's cyber bullying alone? if you're getting cyber bullied you're most likely getting bullied in real life too

2 minutes ago, Chett_Manly said:

Bullying is human nature, you are not going to get rid of it. Try as you might but it is the result of thousands of years of evolution. Censorship to try and achieve this will fail, the people that are produced in this system would be so fragile they likely would commit suicide over the smallest slight, and society will likely lose the ability for people to stand up and tell someone else "No, your idea is shit".

No it's not. Just because it may be something you consider natural doesn't mean we all do. This is just an idiot time tax. You wanna waste peoples time with senseless bs then they gonna add 1 extra step to waste your time too :)

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

1 minute ago, _Syn_ said:

who said it's cyber bullying alone? if you're getting cyber bullied you're most likely getting bullied in real life too

Yes I am sure the person who got "You are so ugly and stupid" on their Instagram is getting that in real life too. Like every time they walk down the street. ?

Just now, Chett_Manly said:

Yes I am sure the person who got "You are so ugly and stupid" on their Instagram is getting that in real life too. Like every time they walk down the street. ?

that comment was only a demonstration, but that person could also be your classmate, or the person who bullies you in real life, could be many things

23 minutes ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

jesus christ, this is exactly the point. No one can take a joke anymore...

jokes are supposed to be funny, dumb meme are not funny,  like that one is just there to stir the pot.. being a troll is only funny for one person. 

Ryzen 5 -5600x

ASUS x570

EVGA 3080 XC3

4x8gb 3600 mhz XPG

Huh...interesting...

insert_file_name_here.png.9495b9b66a4fa264df7eaaf4c74c081e.png

How I did that:

Spoiler

Everyone knows I used Inspect Element but if you're wondering how I got the box to show up and darken the background I attached a file larger than 20MB. It gives you this error box saying you can't. I removed the triangle by removing the data

fa fa-exclamation-triangle ipsAlert_icon

Then just edited the two text fields.

There you go, everyone go have a ball with that.

>You are so ugly and stupid

>You are

Imagine actually using "You are" in current year. Fucking Instagram ?️rainlets.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

14 minutes ago, jerkwagon said:

jokes are supposed to be funny, dumb meme are not funny,  like that one is just there to stir the pot.. being a troll is only funny for one person. 

Opinions bro, you have yours and i have mine.

42 minutes ago, jerkwagon said:

I'm a stupid moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt smells and... I like to kiss my own butt.

And how's that any less of a "troll" comment than mine? C'mon son

6 minutes ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

Opinions bro, you have yours and i have mine.

And how's that any less of a "troll" comment than mine? C'mon son

son? if you dont get that reference then you should be calling me daddy. 

Ryzen 5 -5600x

ASUS x570

EVGA 3080 XC3

4x8gb 3600 mhz XPG

57 minutes ago, jerkwagon said:

No it isn't the same at all. It's really hard for people to bully you online if you don't go online. It's like how I don't hangout with people that were negative and would say mean stuff about mean but blow it off as a joke. It's one thing to get bullied by someone you can't avoid but when you can avoid them and you choose not to then you really are doing it to yourself in a sense.