DeepText - Instagram tests out AI bullying deterrent

rcmaehl
47 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

#

Yes you can

Yes you can

Learn to punch back, that's the advice my father gave me

Yeah my father always gave me the same advice. Even if you lose the fight as long as you get some good punches in they are less likely to do it again. Remember when I got in trouble at school at school for defending myself when a kid in my grade attacked me. My dad just said good job and told the school that I wouldn't be serving detention for self defence. 

So many comments made by people who have likely never been bullied before, it has the air of "oh, you have depression ? Have you tried just being happy?" 

As someone who has been on the receiving end of targeted cyber bullying, no you can't just "ignore it". Comments like "your dumb" which seems to be the main argument in this thread is not cyber bullying and goes to show you don't actually know what you're talking about. 

The people who targeted me, their main goal was to get me to hurt myself or commit suicide. The experience fucked me up in no small way...i had legitimate thoughts that suicide was the only way to get away from it, ended up going to therapy, left the internet for like 2 months. Now I'm super careful about personal details I post.

If you block them, they make another account, you leave that website, they find you on others, that's cyber bullying. Relentless harassment that you feel like you can't get away from them. 

So fuck each and every one of you who says "it's not a problem, just ignore them" because you have NO idea what it's like... 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

8 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Again I don't see how it makes a difference. People got by just fine before social media and developed just fine and I would argue often times much better than people today.

The difference is no one had it back then as it did not exist.  Now it does exist , it has been adopted and become an intrinsic part of social development. 

Social media is a cancer that is destroying the mental health of children. Rates of anxiety depression and suicide has increased dramatically in teenagers since the creation of social media

https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.com/5550803/depression-suicide-rates-youth/%3famp=true 

Hang on,  before you said it was superficial and could be ignored, now you are saying it's a cancer that causes anxiety and suicide.  Which one is it?

There are cases where it causes suicide and anxiety, that is not up for debate,  most commonly after cyber bullying the cases of suicide and anxiety are recorded.  This is something I said right back at the start.   But that does not change the fact that for the most part it is still a very integrated part of childhood development.

You want to say that staying away from social media would cripple one's social development but I would argue that using it is far more detrimental to one's mental health than any sort of benefit it might have. The use of social media by children and teenagers is setting them up for failure and it's sad to hear people say it's nessisary when it really isn't. 

Citation?  because the studies I have linked say otherwise.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

You realize people have rights because the government protects them? It's like how a racist might not accept a black person's right to be served at a restaurant but that doesn't mean they don't have the right because under the law they are legally guaranteed that right. What someone thinks has literally bo bearing on a person's rights because they are clearly defined by law and not the thoughts and feelings of others. Now the thing about rights is that they allow someone to do something but that doesn't mean people have to like or accept their behavior. 

The law only exists as long as people believe in it. Go in war zones and you'll see that the laws exist there but are irrelevant and broken by many people anyway.

Same goes with lack of rights, just look at China, they know they don't have fundamental rights from our perspective, they could have it if they actually would fight for them, but they just don't care so nothing is happening. And there you could argue that their rights still exist because it's human rights and the UN is there to protect those as well.

My point was that if you're alone on an island you have no right since you have no one to allow you to do something or not. That extend to society: you have the obligation to respect the laws, but you don't really have a right by yourself. Your rights only exists because other people have their obligations to respect the law and therefore give you rights.

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

The difference is no one had it back then as it did not exist.  Now it does exist , it has been adopted and become an intrinsic part of social development. 

Hang on,  before you said it was superficial and could be ignored, now you are saying it's a cancer that causes anxiety and suicide.  Which one is it?

There are cases where it causes suicide and anxiety, that is not up for debate,  most commonly after cyber bullying the cases of suicide and anxiety are recorded.  This is something I said right back at the start.   But that does not change the fact that for the most part it is still a very integrated part of childhood development.

Citation?  because the studies I have linked say otherwise.

First off you equate me saying that cyber bullying isnt a problem with me saying social media is harmless. I do believe social media is horrible for peoples mental health but I also think there is an extremely easy and effective way of combating it. Just don't use it. The stats overwhelmingly show that the mental health of the youth has had a huge downturn with the invention social media. Also I don't think cyberbullying is the main cause of that deterioration. Kids are looking at others on social media and comparing themselves with them and it has a huge effect on self image and self esteem and not a good one. It also doesn't help that a large amount of people use photoshop on their pictures that they post on social media so kids are comparing themselves to something that isnt even real. If you want to believe that social media is somehow good for children then go ahead but I fear you are trying to find utility in something that is inherently toxic. 

43 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

First off you equate me saying that cyber bullying isnt a problem with me saying social media is harmless. I do believe social media is horrible for peoples mental health but I also think there is an extremely easy and effective way of combating it. Just don't use it. The stats overwhelmingly show that the mental health of the youth has had a huge downturn with the invention social media.

What stats?  there has been a detrimental downturn mental health across the board that correlates with social media, the introduction of multi core processors,  climate change,  phone size,  employments rates, working hours,  academic expectations,  social unrest in general.  Please show me a study that points squarely at social media.

Also I don't think cyberbullying is the main cause of that deterioration. Kids are looking at others on social media and comparing themselves with them and it has a huge effect on self image and self esteem and not a good one.

They have been doing that for ever,  Did you even read the article I posted?  it really seems like you are ignoring it.  That was addressed quite clearly in the linked article.

here:

By and large, extant research has found that youth use social media in the service of critical adolescent developmental tasks, such as identity development, aspirational development, and peer engagement.4,8 As adolescents seek intimacy with their peers and strive for autonomy, their online environments frequently reflect their off-line lives.9 In contrast to early online applications, which were seen as refuges from real life,10 today’s online environments reflect, complement, and reinforce off-line relationships, practices, and processes

Remember this article is a comprehensive over view of literally hundreds of studies into the developmental effect of social media on adolescences.  It's not just the rambling opinion of one pediatrician.

It also doesn't help that a large amount of people use photoshop on their pictures that they post on social media so kids are comparing themselves to something that isnt even real. If you want to believe that social media is somehow good for children then go ahead but I fear you are trying to find utility in something that is inherently toxic. 

I am not trying to find anything, I am pointing you to the evidence and observations of reality.  Seriously could you read the article I posted, or maybe at least find some evidence to support your claims that social media is inherently toxic.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

What stats?  there has been a detrimental downturn mental health across the board that correlates with social media, the introduction of multi core processors,  climate change,  phone size,  employments rates, working hours,  academic expectations,  social unrest in general.  Please show me a study that points squarely at social media.

They have been doing that for ever,  Did you even read the article I posted?  it really seems like you are ignoring it.  That was addressed quite clearly in the linked article.

here:

Remember this article is a comprehensive over view of literally hundreds of studies into the developmental effect of social media on adolescences.  It's not just the rambling opinion of one pediatrician.

I am not trying to find anything, I am pointing you to the evidence and observations of reality.  Seriously could you read the article I posted, or maybe at least find some evidence to support your claims that social media is inherently toxic.

I did read the ones you posted and they have alot of inherently wrong facts. They say that social media helps with self esteem which is just incorrect. I'm sorry but alot of the stuff they say is not the things I see at all. Again believe what you want but I fundamentally disagree with the sentiment that social media has an overall positive effect on the youth. 

5 hours ago, laminutederire said:

The law only exists as long as people believe in it. Go in war zones and you'll see that the laws exist there but are irrelevant and broken by many people anyway.

Same goes with lack of rights, just look at China, they know they don't have fundamental rights from our perspective, they could have it if they actually would fight for them, but they just don't care so nothing is happening. And there you could argue that their rights still exist because it's human rights and the UN is there to protect those as well.

My point was that if you're alone on an island you have no right since you have no one to allow you to do something or not. That extend to society: you have the obligation to respect the laws, but you don't really have a right by yourself. Your rights only exists because other people have their obligations to respect the law and therefore give you rights.

You are simply naive. The reason why people break laws in war areas is because of lack of repercussions not because they suddenly don't believe in them. The fact is people have the freedom of speech in the US and people's opinions on that has no bearing. 

22 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I did read the ones you posted and they have a lot of inherently wrong facts.

Damn those amateur pediatricians not knowing shit about their profession.

22 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

They say that social media helps with self esteem which is just incorrect. I'm sorry but alot of the stuff they say is not the things I see at all. Again believe what you want but I fundamentally disagree with the sentiment that social media has an overall positive effect on the youth. 

So where is your counter evidence? 

Also I never actually said overall positive, I said it was a large component (intrinsic to) of today's social engagement/development and hence a huge part of social development. The fact it has many positive traits in many ways is likely the reason it is so intrinsic to personal development in the 21st century.  

3 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

You are simply naive. The reason why people break laws in war areas is because of lack of repercussions not because they suddenly don't believe in them. The fact is people have the freedom of speech in the US and people's opinions on that has no bearing. 

It's arguable freedom of speech exists in western societies these days to be honest? Since the people have no power over anything.

And well attack me all you want, I'm just understanding philosophers on the subject.

If you don't believe there will be repercussions you don't believe the law exists anymore that's the point.

12 hours ago, Arika S said:

So many comments made by people who have likely never been bullied before, it has the air of "oh, you have depression ? Have you tried just being happy?" 

As someone who has been on the receiving end of targeted cyber bullying, no you can't just "ignore it". Comments like "your dumb" which seems to be the main argument in this thread is not cyber bullying and goes to show you don't actually know what you're talking about. 

The people who targeted me, their main goal was to get me to hurt myself or commit suicide. The experience fucked me up in no small way...i had legitimate thoughts that suicide was the only way to get away from it, ended up going to therapy, left the internet for like 2 months. Now I'm super careful about personal details I post.

If you block them, they make another account, you leave that website, they find you on others, that's cyber bullying. Relentless harassment that you feel like you can't get away from them. 

So fuck each and every one of you who says "it's not a problem, just ignore them" because you have NO idea what it's like... 

I too was bullied in school along with threatning text messages sent nearly everyday, things like "you're fucking dead at 3" 3 was when we finished school. I didn't let them get into my head, flipped it around and made it into a strength. I called them out on it, confronted the two bullies who made my life miserable for about 6 months. After that it never happened again, so yeah don't ignore it. Deal with them.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

21 minutes ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

I too was bullied in school along with threatning text messages sent nearly everyday, things like "you're fucking dead at 3" 3 was when we finished school. I didn't let them get into my head, flipped it around and made it into a strength. I called them out on it, confronted the two bullies who made my life miserable for about 6 months. After that it never happened again, so yeah don't ignore it. Deal with them.

Which is fine if you have the resources to do that,  but what if you don't  and you don't know who the bully is.  That's the problem with a lot of today's technology, it's so easy for people to hide behind it,  the weakest person with access to the internet can present as gang of lawless bikers.

4 hours ago, laminutederire said:

It's arguable freedom of speech exists in western societies these days to be honest? Since the people have no power over anything.

And well attack me all you want, I'm just understanding philosophers on the subject.

If you don't believe there will be repercussions you don't believe the law exists anymore that's the point.

That's not an argument at all. Freedom of speech is the ability to say what you want and be protected by law. It has nothing to do with the general populations power. Also just talking about some philosophy you have read at some point like it's the only philosophical viewpoint to ever exist and all others are incorrect. I just fundamentally disagree with the notion that people are have rights because of others thoughts and feelings on the matter.