Adobe Premiere is a joke - why does LMG use it?

BecauseICanTBH

After using Vegas Pro since 2010, I decided to give Adobe Premiere a try this year, since so many professionals use it.

I'm baffled, because after exploring it and using it pretty extensively, it honestly seems like a very expensive practical joke.

Does anybody know why people (especially LMG editors) use Premiere instead of better video editing software like Vegas?

Because they use Intel/nVidia hardware, Premiere Pro highly prefers CUDA and QuickSync.

If they used AMD hardware then Vegas Pro with its massive favor to OpenCL and better utilizing of Zen processors would be an obvious choice on the performance standpoint.

Now I have used both software and it's really a matter of preference too, I personally do prefer Sony Vegas but my brother who works professionally with video editing prefers Premiere and thus built his Workstation with the best hardware for it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

It's their current workflow.

To switch to another software would destroy productivity.

Though I do hear they are playing with Resolve, you don't just swap our your software.

Not how it works in a production environment.

11 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

To switch to another software would destroy productivity.

This is one of the biggest impediments for migrating to another platform (win to apple, win to linux) re-learning a whole new batch of software and the associated loss of productivity.

If it's a hobby, it's less important, but if you make a living with the software, this can be a deal-breaker.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

22 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

This is one of the biggest impediments for migrating to another platform (win to apple, win to linux) re-learning a whole new batch of software and the associated loss of productivity.

If it's a hobby, it's less important, but if you make a living with the software, this can be a deal-breaker.

It seems like the lack of GPU-accelerated exporting alone would be an obvious deal breaker for Premiere. Especially for professionals who are making a ton of videos like LMG.

I've never seen a single edit in one of their videos that couldn't be done - easier, too - in Vegas.

59 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

If they used AMD hardware then Vegas Pro with its massive favor to OpenCL and better utilizing of Zen processors would be an obvious choice on the performance standpoint.

By the way, Vegas doesn't favor OpenCL anymore. They balanced it out in the recent years.

4 minutes ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

By the way, Vegas doesn't favor OpenCL anymore. They balanced it out in the recent years.

I was talking in comparison to Premiere.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, Princess Luna said:

I was talking in comparison to Premiere.

Premiere doesn't seem to leverage any GPU (whether AMD or NVIDIA) by any noticeably greater measure than Vegas, IME. Except with Vegas you can export with the GPU, so you don't need 112 processing cores to render a video in less than 9 hours.

7 minutes ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

Premiere doesn't seem to leverage any GPU (whether AMD or NVIDIA) by any noticeably greater measure than Vegas, IME. Except with Vegas you can export with the GPU, so you don't need 112 processing cores to render a video in less than 9 hours.

It uses Intel QuickSync, which was added in CC 2019. 

29 minutes ago, will0956 said:

It uses Intel QuickSync, which was added in CC 2019. 

That's my point, $240/year and it can only use integrated graphics. LMAO

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

linux to win is my problem ?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

I dunno, this sound more like a "My software is better than that software" argument, I may be biased because of the amount of money adobe has hoovered out of my account over the years, but I have never seen any real cost - performance numbers that  really give any clear advantage to any suite that doesn't boil down to workflow adjustments.

I would love to be wrong on this front, and it would be even better if someone could prove me wrong with an open source cross platform option, but i'm not optimistic on that one.

3 hours ago, Den-Fi said:

Though I do hear they are playing with Resolve, you don't just swap our your software.

Not how it works in a production environment.

They are due for an hardware update for their editors this or next year. Could be possible they are planning to swap then. Just taking their time to do it without having issues like remappikg all the shortcut keyboard.

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

They are due for an hardware update for their editors this or next year. Could be possible they are planning to swap then. Just taking their time to do it without having issues like remappikg all the shortcut keyboard.

I was referencing something Linus said in passing in a video. I'll post it if I can find it.

Edit: I think it was the rendering server update video which I think is FP only (until YT release that is).

3 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Edit: I think it was the rendering server update video which I think is FP only (until YT release that is).

Neat, considering the hardware you can get at a consumer level today, an update to that isnt a bad idea. 

Has he allready picked out hardware or?

4 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

was referencing something Linus said in passing in a video. I'll post it if I can find it.

I think they do hardware updates every 3 years i think. Or something like that. So they could be doing a bigger overhaul yes.

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Neat, considering the hardware you can get at a consumer level today, an update to that isnt a bad idea. 

Has he allready picked out hardware or?

I think they do hardware updates every 3 years i think. Or something like that. So they could be doing a bigger overhaul yes.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean they're willing to sacrifice workflow. What you get in something like Resolve being faster, you lose and then some by having to create another workflow. The rate at which they produce content makes that just plain not ideal. It's not like Hardware Canucks where Dimitri can switch to resolve and it just means 1 person has a learning curve.

8 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

The rate at which they produce content makes that just plain not ideal. It's not like Hardware Canucks where Dimitri can switch to resolve and it just means 1 person has a learning curve.

A bigger overhaul can go over 6 months. They dont need to move everyone over to the new program instantly. 

They have the capability to do a transition period

Just now, GoldenLag said:

A bigger overhaul can go over 6 months. They dont need to move everyone over to the new program instantly. 

They have the capability to do a transition period

Yes, I know how it all works. I'm just saying that it's unlikely to be worth it.

We shall see I guess. Not much point in over-analyzing it.

Just now, Den-Fi said:

Yes, I know how it all works. I'm just saying that it's unlikely to be worth it.

We shall see I guess. Not much point in over-analyzing it.

They do enough production and they have backlogs of videos. 

Shortening the workload per vid by say 5% is enough to consider a swap. That is how little improvement it really has to be for it to be massivly worth it.

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

They do enough production and they have backlogs of videos. 

Shortening the workload per vid by say 5% is enough to consider a swap. That is how little improvement it really has to be for it to be massivly worth it.

I'm sure they're on there way to determining if it's worth it.

Not really going to continue debating it here.

Changing the main program that you use to do your work is a change in the process of workflow. Depending on how mature the process is, this will totally wreck productivity for a while. In a professional environment, a process will only get updated if it significantly improves productivity. If the gain is 0 or even say less than 15%, it may not be worth considering. If you want to use the argument that "but all that time/money saved could add up!" then the question becomes "when?" Because if the company recoups the cost of switching over in say 10 years, that may not be a worthwhile investment. But if they can recoup the cost in say a year or two, it might be worth considering.

4 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

Premiere Pro highly prefers CUDA and QuickSync.

Surprisingly not that much. At least not for CUDA. CUDA really isn't an advanced or impressive technology.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

CUDA really isn't an advanced or impressive technology.

Speaking of CUDA acceleration, we decided to torture ourselves just to give you an idea of how much that still matters. With CUDA disabled in our NZXT M22 review render, it took the 8700K 350 minutes – that’s 5.8 hours – to render the same clip that was finished in 34 minutes with software rendering and CUDA. - Gamer Nexus.

4_m22-review.png

Eh...?

Personal Desktop":

Just now, Princess Luna said:

Eh...?

That graph tells me nothing. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

AMD CPU + NVIDIA GPU = Premiere Pro  /  Vegas Pro
Intel CPU + NVIDIA GPU = Premiere Pro
AMD CPU + AMD GPU = Vegas Pro
Intel CPU + AMD GPU = ????

Am I right?

2 minutes ago, pizapower said:

Intel CPU + AMD GPU = ????

FinalCut Pro/ Premiere Pro / DaVinci Resolve / Vegas

Premiere on macOS has been optimized to make CUDA irrelevant thanks to AMDs Stream Processors and the METAL Rendering engine. However that is obviously limited to macOS