AMD hype train?

Message added by WkdPaul

The question of hype is legitimate and people have the right to question it, lets try to keep the thread on-track and avoid fanboy and troll accusations and personal attacks as they are against the Community Standards.

11 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

a superior product for a lower price point

there is a lot to consider, and with the many advantages they have, the main one i focus on is the competition with intel, its going to create a more healthy cpu market, than where intel was just charging how much they felt like for products 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

6 hours ago, nnfancois said:

question,is it becuse i have 10+year old hardware that i just dont understand the excitement from zen 2?

Your hardware is not relevant

Its just that I don't think you quite understand the improvements that AMD has made for Zen2, or why AMD taking the fight to Intel is beneficial to us as consumers

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

4 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Well, there's not much to debate. Anandtech has given AMD the IPC advantage this time, it runs faster, cooler, and cheaper than Intel, it has a fuckton of cache, and it supports PCIe x32. What's not to like about it?

Not enough security backdoors and breaches, come on AMD step up 9_9

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

16 minutes ago, BigRom said:

Not enough security backdoors and breaches, come on AMD step up 9_9

Careful what you wish for. (Not a threat) lol

Zen 2 means that I'm going to be able to upgrade to a much faster CPU in a few years without having to change my mobo or my RAM, which (alongside a possible GPU upgrade at some point) will extend the life of my system by a few years.

What's not to get excited about? 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

19 hours ago, nnfancois said:

yeh but im not going to drop 330$ for a  thats just insane for me

There is what we know until now. 

6c/12t at $199 is a incredible price to performance. 

CB06EC71-308D-48D7-B5C0-32098B92DAEA.jpeg

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

I will wait for reviews of R5 3600X, and how well can it overclock on all cores.

If it comes to around same or even better performance than my current i5 8600k at 4,8GHz, I might decide to switch to AMD.

Multi core core will surely be better in my case, but I'm more worried about single core performance.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

For those disheartened by $330 launch price. Watch deals on r7 2700. 

On 5/31/2019 at 3:49 AM, Stormseeker9 said:

There is what we know until now. 

6c/12t at $199 is a incredible price to performance. 

Ok now thats a better price then what they shown off before,and if push comes to shove i might get it,as i want to start streaming games again.

53 minutes ago, nnfancois said:

And the people who make viruses or whatever tend to go for platforms that have more people,why?Becuse they can make more money that way.its just a simple thing that everyone has to accept.

Or intel just has more flaws, amd tighter security ? Just a thought 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

On 6/1/2019 at 10:59 AM, StarsMars said:

For those disheartened by $330 launch price. Watch deals on r7 2700. 

I’m not even disheartened.  I just know PCIe 4.0 won’t benefit me yet, and the 2700 kicks ass still.  It’s not going to be a shit CPU all of a sudden cause of Zen 2 launching.  It’s what I’m upgrading to once it starts getting price cuts like first gen Zen did.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

im going to get buttfuked by euro price conversions im sure

3 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

I just know PCIe 4.0 won’t benefit me yet

Not many people in general will benefit from PCIe 4.0.

Mostly corporations.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

16 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Not many people in general will benefit from PCIe 4.0.

Mostly corporations.

Fair enough, either way, I’m going to go platform that has time to mature over bleeding edge like last time

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

On 5/30/2019 at 7:16 AM, nnfancois said:

I dont get all the hype that's going on with AMD.

You don't get why people would be excited about a product that is supposedly going to be at or above the performance of the current best in class for a significantly lower price?

On 5/30/2019 at 9:43 AM, TVwazhere said:

I'm basically plugging my ears and la-la-laing until July 7th. Cool to see official specs, but until I have independent reviews of these CPU's and how they perform, my wallet stays in my pocket. 

Yup, exactly the same here.

That's reviews from reliable sources and more than one. ;)

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

I'm actually feeling pretty optimistic about this one.  But as mentioned earlier, I'll be waiting for benchmarks before spending a dime on it.

While I'm still pretty happy with my 4670k, I'd like to have more than 4 cores.  I'll likely wait until next year to hopefully see what Intel's answer to the Ryzen 3000 is.

Didn't read thread - however:

Chugga Chugga Choo Choo.

Hype Train, all aboard.  Ive been "poor people" my whole life and AMD has always been there for me to game and enjoy PC electronics. 

If this was coming off the back of FX 8350/9 series release...then no one would have the gumption to believe it.  Difference is...third gen Ryzen...so not like we are going into this blind. 

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Intel fanboys should be more happy than AMD fanboys right now, AMD giving Intel a kick in the pants will only benefit Intel users in the future. Hopefully this is the end to an era of Intel loyalists being abused financially. Whether or not the hype is real doesn't matter, if it's not real this time it will be next time so Intel can't just coast along anymore.

-KuJoe

My opinion is that it's not straight fowared and there are several causes.

when a company in the position AMD was in for the last 5-7 years (that is being slow to release product that is generally under performing the competition), basically the longer it takes to come to market the more hype there is surrounding it.  It's just a natural condition of the internet,  especially for people who are heavily invested (emotionally) in having a stronger competition.   

For the most part people tend to look at large companies as if they are individuals,  they use their emotional response to a product to formulate a personality.  Once that happens they forget little things like - all companies strive to produce the best, -all companies put revenue first -all companies have to make money and don't care about feelings other than being seen as the best.   It's natural to hype up the team we barrack for.

When some has those feelings toward AMD then Hype will naturally follow.  We see it with apple products (both positive and negative attributes) , Nvidia products (both positive and negative), even razor/msi etc.      We don't tend to have that hype for Intel because no one cares for those who don't need care and no one is eager to see something that is predictable (10% improvement here, growth there etc). 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I've stuck by AMD even through the dreadful FX lineup.  I was very skeptical of the Ryzen launch.  I don't think there is much "hype" at this point.  Zen took the market by storm, and now the Zen2's are offering even better performance and lower wattage and much better pricing compared to Intel.  

If I didn't already have a 1st and 2nd gen Ryzen,  I would definitely get the 3rd gen right away, especially at the price.

If you're skeptical, just wait for some actual user reviews and benchmarks.  I'm almost certain they won't disappoint 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, comander said:

It's been 13 years. Core 2 Duo outpaced the A64 x2; Core 2 Quad outpaced Phenom; Core i7 (Nehalem)  generally outpaced Phenom II; and Core i7(Westmere 6 core + Sandy Bridge) generally outpaced Bulldozer. 

An argument could definitely be made for Zen being real competition though. 

I think that about sums up the lack of hype for Intel, years of predictability leads to yawning.   If Intel's failure at 10nm has done anything at all, it's shaken up the enthusiasts who might have simply ignored AMD assuming the same old same old will come out of Intel. 

Personally I think anyone who tries to argue Zen isn't real competition would either have a very narrow definition or attribute they specifically wanted to focus on to the exclusion of everything else, or they are not paying attention to reality.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I usually find myself on the AMD hype train. Ok mine is usually the local stopper that is running late so I find myself getting that latest card a year or so later when I can actually afford it.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz