AMD hype train?

Message added by WkdPaul

The question of hype is legitimate and people have the right to question it, lets try to keep the thread on-track and avoid fanboy and troll accusations and personal attacks as they are against the Community Standards.

Just now, TVwazhere said:

I'm basically plugging my ears and la-la-laing until July 7th. Cool to see official specs, but until I have independent reviews of these CPU's and how they perform, my wallet stays in my pocket. 

Do you really? It's not like AMD lied about Zen and Zen+ metrics. Why would they lie about Zen 2 ? Sure, independent tests are good and all that, but I frankly don't have doubts about it. Will be nice to know how AMD mitigated chiplets latencies and if there were any changes to the clock boost system. That is very much unknown. And tests where they run CPU's at same clocks to see how IPC really stacks up. Just to confirm it.

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I'm basically plugging my ears and la-la-laing until July 7th. Cool to see official specs, but until I have independent reviews of these CPU's and how they perform, my wallet stays in my pocket. 

Imma wait until TR3 drops. We'll have a good idea of Zen 2 improvements by then.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, RejZoR said:

Do you really? It's not like AMD lied about Zen and Zen+ metrics. Why would they lie about Zen 2 ? Sure, independent tests are good and all that, but I frankly don't have doubts about it. Will be nice to know how AMD mitigated chiplets latencies and if there were any changes to the clock boost system. That is very much unknown. And tests where they run CPU's at same clocks to see how IPC really stacks up. Just to confirm it.

AMD said we would have a more indepth look at ryzen 3000 at E3, with overclocking included. Maybe someone like Gamers Nexus would be able to show a little bit more besides OCing about Ryzen 3000

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Do you really? -snip-

Yep. I never take any marketing announcements as fact, or even remotely true until independent testing is done. 

IE: RTX Ray tracing games, Intel's 28 core 5ghz trick. 

But it wasnt AMD

Doesnt matter. As a rule of thumb, always wait for benchmarks

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

That's one thing I doubt. It would be, obviously, nice to be proven wrong, but I haven't seen anything credible to believe that Navi would be all that good.

We'll know in July I guess :)

Just now, TVwazhere said:

Yep. I never take any marketing announcements as fact, or even remotely true until independent testing is done. 

But it wasnt AMD

AMD likely would choose best case scenarios for show on stage, so having a 3800X barely beat a 9900k in PUBG could mean it's slightly worse on average in gaming

6 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

Agree 100%, I wanna see how well the infinity fabric connects the chiplets in gaming.

MSI did say that their x570 mobos will support up to DDR4 4400MHz, so that does sound like there's a huge improvement there.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

All I have to say is...

maxresdefault.jpeg.08b30758741c0e40e9027cd5d8268ec2.jpeg

...but seriously, it's likely to be a bit slower in some things, faster (sometimes by a pretty decent amount) in others, should be closer in gaming to 9th gen Intel in theory. I'm not sure what there isn't to like about competition, and this coming from someone who hasn't ever owned an AMD processor or GPUs in the last 25 years of owning PCs (no reason for this, they just haven't had the advantages I wanted whenever I've been getting a new PC/upgrading, but have bought them for others).

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

But it wasnt AMD

I understood the doubt about first gen Ryzen when everyone was wondering if AMD could pull it off. Now with 3rd generation, I have no doubts at all to be honest. I do have doubts about Navi still. A bit. Coz they haven't proven that part yet other than they can make pretty good mid range cards (like Polaris).

I am not on the hype train because I don't think they will be a good upgrade for me. 

I know more cores are not a good upgrade because I have had a i9 9900k rig to test. My 6 cores are fine for now, for gaming.

I do know that I need the IPC of a 5ghz intel chip for my RTX 2080 ti not to bottleneck badly. My i7 8700k "stock" severely bottlenecked my 2080 ti so the bar is high.

For IPC I use Cinebench single core score. I need at least a score of  262 for an ok upgrade.  That is the difference between a R 2700X and a i9 9900k.  We know in most games that is not much.  For a good upgrade I need score of 300. That is the difference between an i7 2600k and a i9 9900k. That will probably be a 6ghz chip.

What I am hoping for is more competition and innovation. I definitely need more power for the next gen GPUs and I don't care who gives it to me. 

On the fun side, I think these chip will be a lot hotter than the last chips and I expect there will be lots of posts that will be titled "My Ryzen 3 CPU is too hot".  

Since I don't own a Ryzen CPU, I usually don't comment on posts about them, but I do read them.       

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

When MSI are making an x570 Godlike at launch, when Asus are putting watercooling into their flagship board, when Gigabyte are making an EATX board at launch, when Asrock are making a 1000$ limited edition crazy motherboard...that's when you know the cpu means business. The hype is real.

We may still get 5ghz through overclocking (possibly on air, but water seems more reasonable at the moment), and memory overclocking is WAY above where we thought it'd be. Rumors were suggesting a small improvement on memory. Instead we are getting speeds up to 4600mhz, that is nearly on par with Intel.

And even if AMD doesn't end up ahead of Intel on IPC, it'll be so close that it will be pretty much unnoticeable. But that shouldn't be the big highlight of Zen2. The big thing about Zen2 is that it will match Intel while being FAR more efficient. Efficiency should be the thing people are looking at. It destroys 14nm++++++ on that front.

The hype train is now over. We've got nearly everything the hype train said, other than 5ghz as advertised clocks. The motherboards are way more overkill than we ever expected they would be. This launch has met expectations for the most part, and exceeded them in some areas.

1 minute ago, jones177 said:

On the fun side, I think these chip will be a lot hotter than the last chips

Someone clearly missed AMD's keynotes on TDP-improvements.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Someone clearly missed AMD's keynotes on TDP-improvements.

Not really.

I expect the posts would be from people using budget first gen motherboards.

The promise of upgrading to newer more powerful CPUs is a double edged sword. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

3 hours ago, _d0nut said:

15% IPC uplift

msi showed it to be 13% actually 

3 hours ago, Norwegiantweaker said:

330 bucks is cheap what do you mean lol

not for us lol i dont get payed enough yet

I guess the question is, why do you feel that the 3000 series Ryzen doesn't feel impressive to you? If 330 bucks is too much for an 8c/16t cpu then choose a cheaper option. It is bleeding edge technology and will carry a bleeding edge price, but it is still far superior in pricing compared to the Intel alternative.

For me, I spent 350 dollars on a 6c/12t cpu called the i7-5820k. Overall, my CPU was a horrendous overclocker and has not satisfied my needs for a long time.  I lost the silicon lottery big time. At the time of purchase, the only CPU in that lineup with more cores was the 5960X which was close to 1000 dollars at the time. And now we have mainstream CPUs from AMD that are 330 dollars that are going to beat the performance of that 1000 dollar CPU. This is very exciting times for people with older cpus.

4 hours ago, nnfancois said:

yeh but im not going to drop 330$ for a  thats just insane for me

You do realize that is around what the 4c/8t i7-4770K MSRP'd for when it was released right? The prices for top end desktop CPUs hasn't changed that much, except for Intel recently. Just because you can't afford one doesn't make it not worth the price...

Also AMD CPUs aren’t vulnerable to the latest viruses that wreck Intel CPUs.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

38 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

4c/8t i7-4770K MSRP'd

my newest cpu that i have a core 2 quad q6600

24 minutes ago, RoseLuck462 said:

Also AMD CPUs aren’t vulnerable to the latest viruses that wreck Intel CPUs.

yeh but at this rate AMD will be the next target of virus

17 minutes ago, nnfancois said:

my newest cpu that i have a core 2 quad q6600

That's not the point. I don't give two shits how much you make or what the newest CPU that you have is. The point is that AMD is charging the EXACT same price that Intel was a couple of generations ago for their CPU that has twice the core count and twice the threads. Saying that you're disappointed in that solely because you can't afford it is pretty ridiculous and incredibly self-centered.

13 minutes ago, nnfancois said:

yeh but at this rate AMD will be the next target of virus

You're really grasping at straws here to find any way to make AMD look bad aren't you xD

The fact remains that AMD hasn't gotten the beatings that Intel has over the past couple of years in terms of hardware security. Will there be exploits that are eventually found that can be used against people who use AMD CPUs? Probably, but then if you poke around anything long enough you're bound to find something that you can exploit. These things were created by people after all...

Don’t understand OP’s point here. He’s comparing Zen 2 with No Man’s Sky, which as I remember was a game that released half baked with a lot of missing features that devs had talked about.

I wouldn’t expect Zen 2 to launch with different clock speeds than we were told, or drastically different IPC. Maybe he thinks the TDPs we got quoted are wrong?

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

Rip Intel. I expect amd to capture 30% overall market share. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I'm invested in AMD. I don't see AMD's revenue showing significant moves until Q4 or Q1 next year.