New Windows Terminal - tabbed, emoji-capable Windows command-line experience.

I'm glad to finally see some traction on this.  The MS developers hinted they were going to start working on this when they first released WSL a few years ago.  Cool to see it come to fruition and I can't wait until a binary is readily available.  As it stands, I start an X11 server and fire up an X-based terminal to do all of my WSL stuff.  I so despise the historical CMD terminal.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

14 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Every instance so far has been, 'yes, you do.' 

What instances are you referring to exactly?

14 hours ago, Drak3 said:

And? Move to a standard that doesn't include emoji. It's a waste of time and effort to use a system that incorporates emoji garbage.

1) What character encoding do you suggest which includes better character support than ASCII (for example åäö but also things like Chinese and Japanese) but doesn't include emojis?

2) What drawback does emoji support have, other than you for no apparent reason hating them?

How long until e-weebs start getting nostalgic about Powershell? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

47 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

How long until e-weebs start getting nostalgic about Powershell?  

This runs PowerShell.

This program is basically just a tabbed UI which lets you open up cmd, PowerShell and the Linux terminal (Windows Subsystem for Linux) inside one program.

What was miss from the new entry is that that Windows Terminal is one thing coming new, but also the Windows Command Line Infrastructure is being rewritten (and also open source).

At BUILD Microsoft talked about how the back of a Terminal/command line works in Windows and Linux, and explained why they wanted to started new, and change the Windows Command Line infrastructure.  Here is the event talking about, it is pretty interesting:

Watching the video you'll understand why, also, if you want to try new Windows Terminal, you need to be on the (at the moment of wittering) latest Insider version of Windows 10 (past May 2019 Update that coming up). And you'll also see why it would be theoretically be possible to now have a Linux made Terminal, be able to run under Windows and interact with the OS, despite not being designed for Windows.

I'm not hatin on the emojis,
But I do have to ask... why? and why? I guess we will be seeing like:

C:\Users\Admin\Desktop> DoSomething.bat
Manipulating Modal Memory...
Preparing Captive Simulators...
Reticulating Splines...
Operation success! :D - you may close the window.

(There is supposed to be emojis in Operation success line)

2 hours ago, Sypran said:

I'm not hatin on the emojis,
But I do have to ask... why? and why? I guess we will be seeing like:

(There is supposed to be emojis in Operation success line)

For some reason people have wanted emojis. Not sure why but whatever. 

The thing is that by changing the character encoding to UTF 8 you get full support for unicode. This is great because that includes a ton of characters which doesn't exist in ASCII, for example the Swedish characters åäö. 

To me, emoji support is kind of a biproduct from supporting more languages such as Chinese. I'm sure Microsoft sees it the same way. 

On 5/7/2019 at 7:10 AM, Nowak said:

Between this and Microsoft shipping a full Linux kernel within Windows, I believe they're either admitting defeat in some way or trying to make Windows more attractive to developers.

Probably the latter.

I believe Microsoft is slowing migrating over to the Linux kernel and not telling anyone.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

On 5/7/2019 at 7:42 AM, Screen said:

The terminal can be tested out right now and is opensource, along with the terminal a new mono-type based font is also getting developed by Microsoft which is also, once again Open Source.

does that mean it will be ported to linux? that would be cool to have. 

She/Her

3 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

does that mean it will be ported to linux? that would be cool to have. 

Ported? yes.

Direct compile and run for native release? No. It uses DirectX and WPF GUI framework to start with. So some work will be required to port it to Linux. But it can technically work.

27 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Ported? yes.

Direct compile and run for native release? No. It uses DirectX and WPF GUI framework to start with. So some work will be required to port it to Linux. But it can technically work.

oh ok cool. i hope it will support the powershell linux port etc too. that would be really nice to have in a native terminal. 

She/Her

17 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

oh ok cool. i hope it will support the powershell linux port etc too. that would be really nice to have in a native terminal. 

Powershell and windows commands cannot be ported. I suggest you check out the video I posted above.

Once ported, all you'll get are the Windows Terminal features. You'll type in Linux terminal commands, and PowerShell and Command Prompt (as well as the WSL stuff (well you are already in Linux in the distro of your choice)) will be gone.

As the video would explain, PowerShell and Command Prompt cannot be ported as in the Linux/Unix world everything works via files and things go through pipes. In Windows everything is object based and interacts with APIs. 2 drastically different models.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Powershell and windows commands cannot be ported.

Microsoft thinks they can be ported though.... 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/scripting/install/installing-powershell-core-on-linux?view=powershell-6

it's not complete powershell, like some commands are missing but most of it is there. 

She/Her

8 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

Microsoft thinks they can be ported though.... 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/scripting/install/installing-powershell-core-on-linux?view=powershell-6

it's not complete powershell, like some commands are missing but most of it is there. 

This is PowerShell Core for Linux. Not the same as PowerShell terminal window in Windows, and not the same as the command line shell PowerShell 1 through 6 which the PowerShell terminal windows runs on to interact with PowerShell.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

This is PowerShell Core for Linux. Not the same as PowerShell terminal window in Windows, and not the same as the command line shell PowerShell 1 through 6.

interesting. i didn't know that. 

She/Her

aw man if it looks like chrome how will i be able to impress my noob friends by spamming systeminfo in cmd

Well, I have it built.  But, I don't have Win 10 1903 yet as it's not available for Gen release as far as I can tell.  So the terminal is parked until I can update.

Grrr.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

22 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

Well, I have it built.  But, I don't have Win 10 1903 yet as it's not available for Gen release as far as I can tell.  So the terminal is parked until I can update.

Grrr.

You need more than 1903 (19H1). You need 20H1

I am actually digging the linux support and the new terminal. Being able to target windows and linux without multiple machines, multiple boots, or without connecting to VM's is very attractive. Especially considering no one can compete with Visual Studio yet.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

On 5/7/2019 at 8:18 PM, SlimyPython said:

What's the point of that may i ask?

Terminal ? is ?? lit af. ??? 

On 5/7/2019 at 2:18 AM, SlimyPython said:

What's the point of that may i ask?

Lots of reasons. It's useful to remember that emojis are, internally, characters like the latin letter a, the greek letter ζ, the cyrillic letter Д, the ideograph ヅ, or the arabic script letter ك.

There's a lot of things that Conhost (the process that hosts the shell itself) has had in the past that have been broken. For instance, for a long time, if your system was in English (US) and your WSL environment happened to be in English (Germany), all sorts of tools would produce garbage until you changed your windows locale to English (German).

So, the reasons to bring up full Unicode support in the terminal:

• Lots of dev tools use emoji -- for a variety of reasons. Python and Node tooling especially love emoji, since the languages have native support for any unicode character. Swift as well, since you can name a variable an emoji.
  • Mixed-locale software is easier to use in WSL.
  • Tools like ssh and such work fine
  • Japanese users don't need a butchered environment where you have to mentally translate from \ to ¥
  • Japanese text renders correctly in mixed-widhth (half/fullwidth) environments
  • Bidirectional users can have working bidirectional text (e.g. Arabic, Hebrew, etc.)
  • Powershell cmdlets for Active Directory can now easily take the name "Martin Grüßer" without silly hacks to make it work

Emoji here is really a happy side effect of having full unicode support and fallback font rendering. This means tools like PoSh Git can use arrows and other unicode characters when you are ahead/behind/etc.

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

1503959506_Bangheadondesk.gif.7d34fc724a695dfe53d4a672d1e0610c.gif

Microsoft heard you. They'll also add GIF support.

Please don't revive old threads unless you'll contribute something substantial.