More rumours of new Nintendo Switch hardware, apparently Nintendo will announce 2 new models at E3

Master Disaster

I'm interested in the new switch just for Pokemon... But then again, I wouldn't be surprised if they just pulled a DSi on us again and announce an actual Switch 2 in a few months after.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

22 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The next Pokemon is on the switch...

From what I've heard, people are sceptical because it seems to bring over casual elements from Let's Go Eevee and Pikachu. Regardless, if you see my earlier post, I conceded that not many new games are being developed for the 3DS.

15 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I'm up for improvements to the Nintendo Switch hardware. To me, it's not quite a viable replacement for the 3DS yet. Sure not many new games are being developed and I understand that, but, 3 hours of battery life in The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild? No thanks, I'll stick to the longer battery life of the 3DS.

I won't concede my original point that it terms of portability, there is no contest between the superior battery life of the 3DS. For me to be interested in a Nintendo Switch, battery life would have to be the major innovation. But hey, that's just me.

2 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I'm glad I'm not alone in the thinking that the Nintendo Switch isn't yet a real replacement for what the 3DS line brings to the table.

I don't think Nintendo believes the Switch is the 3DS replacement. Maybe as a platform for a true handheld, though.

30 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

From what I've heard, people are sceptical because it seems to bring over casual elements from Let's Go Eevee and Pikachu. 

The games have been bringing more casual elements for generations.

5 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I don't think Nintendo believes the Switch is the 3DS replacement. Maybe as a platform for a true handheld, though.

The fact that the next main line Pokemon games are on the Switch, when they've historically been on Nintendo's main handheld is a huge indication that they're replacing the 3DS.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

The fact that the next main line Pokemon games are on the Switch, when they've historically been on Nintendo's main handheld is a huge indication that they're replacing the 3DS.

Oh yeah, I agree with you there. I'm just saying that I don't want Nintendo to discontinue the 3DS or 3DS eShop. I understand new titles aren't coming to the system but I still want them to have some hardware and software available for people who don't want the baggage that comes with the Nintendo Switch.

Just now, ZacoAttaco said:

Oh yeah, I agree with you there. I'm just saying that I don't want Nintendo to discontinue the 3DS or 3DS eShop. I understand new titles aren't coming to the system but I still want them to have some hardware and software available for people who don't want the baggage that comes with the Nintendo Switch.

Since Nintendo likes their niche models of their handhelds, it's very likely we'll see a true handheld Switch and one that can perform better than the normal one. That's why the talk of a "cheaper" one points to it being the 3DS replacement, which Nintendo would know what it needs to actually do to perform that roll. We'll have to wait to see what Lord Bowser brings.

12 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

its quite a shame though

Agreed, the whole point of Pokemon was that there was a learning curve. As your Pokemon leveled up, your understanding of the game did too.

9 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Since Nintendo likes their niche models of their handhelds, it's very likely we'll see a true handheld Switch and one that can perform better than the normal one. That's why the talk of a "cheaper" one points to it being the 3DS replacement, which Nintendo would know what it needs to actually do to perform that roll. We'll have to wait to see what Lord Bowser brings. 

That is how Nintendo thinks. I'm not sure how much say Bowser would have, maybe that's more of a Nintendo of Japan decision.

15 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

its quite a shame though

Not really, they've also added things like IVs, natures, and more types.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

12 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the chip in the Xbox One S and PS4 Slim costs around $50-100 per unit with the enhanced console chips probably costing around $100-150 per unit.

That's not how the deals work.

AMD gets a predetermined Cut of each chip - quasi a license fee -  and acts as the official manufacturer for patent reasons.

But in reality they don't have much to do with it, Sony and M$ are responsible for everything else. So the Cost are up to them and the foundry. They pay the Foundry (maybe through AMD, just for legal reasons)...

Because AMD has no Problems with Licensing their IP, wich they did and the others are responsible for fabrication...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

7 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

The Switch and 3DS are ideologically different devices. The Switch has more power and is more intended to be a portable console that you setup on like a table or something next to a wall outlet. The 3DS is a handheld designed to be played anywhere for hours. 

I find the Switch Resolution in mobile too much/high for the Display...

If you're a bit older you really have a hard time reading that shit, a 480p Option would be awesome.

The Resolution for the 3DS is not that bad, its totally acceptable for the small screens.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I hope for three generation backwards compatibility if you plug a CD drive in.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

11 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Not really, they've also added things like IVs, natures, and more types.

thats actually not true, ivs were in the games at least by gen 3, they simply now made it trivial to know how good your pokemon is, and trivial to make the most out of it (Ev training)

On 3/25/2019 at 10:15 PM, PacketMan said:

FML, so I just bought the Switch last month after someone from Nintendo said that they weren't planning on launching any revision model or Switch 2

I'd say this is bullshit, I HOPE this is bullshit

I've been wanting one for ages but i knew this would happen at some point, they always do hardware refreshes ?

1 hour ago, Newenthusiast said:

I've been wanting one for ages but i knew this would happen at some point, they always do hardware refreshes ?

Yep, Nintendo loves doing hardware refreshes.  

I would be more surprise if Nintendo didn't make a lower end Switch in the vein of what the 2DS is to the 3DS.  When I talk to co-workers that are parents or family members, they interested in the Switch for their kids but would like an option similar to the 2DS.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

On 3/25/2019 at 11:15 AM, PacketMan said:

FML, so I just bought the Switch last month after someone from Nintendo said that they weren't planning on launching any revision model or Switch 2

Exactly i just bought the diablo model for £320!! hope this is bullshit

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2019 at 6:15 AM, PacketMan said:

I'm late to the reply, but don't worry about it.  Even if they have a "Switch Pro" I doubt they're going to just forget about the Switch.
Remember, the last console to have a "Pro" version was the 3DS.  Minus like.. Minecraft and the Dynasty Warriors style Fire Emblem game, you really didn't need a New 2DS or 3DS XL to continue playing the latest games.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

I saw this thread get brought up again and let me say this:

1. Nintendo does Directs for E3 now
  2. Nintendo traditionally has not announced new hardware during Directs, the focus for them being only games
  3. Everything about this being a smaller or more powerful Switch is just baseless speculation at this point
  4. Nintendo regularly puts out fake information to sniff out leakers and protect what they're actually working on (see: Pokemon Stars, that Star Fox racing game)

On 3/25/2019 at 9:27 PM, Bcat00 said:

If someone does buy a cheaper version they would be seriously limiting the kind of games they can play.

a lot of the good ones take advantage of the motion sensors so I don’t know how they will get past that issue

It would have to be like LCD vs OLED screen etc, maybe less immersive speakers, no connectivity to some accessories.

The Switch was a huge success, great to see with the lack of with the Wii U. Really stepped up and worked out well. 

On 3/25/2019 at 10:53 AM, Taf the Ghost said:

The Tegra really does have the best GPU they can get in that power profile.

I'm sure if AMD wanted they could make a SOC on 7FF with ARM CPU Cores and a bunch of Vega CUs for a low power budget.

Edit: Oof. Didn't realize this thread was so old and I've probably replied earlier quoting Taf's post.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

13 hours ago, Nowak said:

I saw this thread get brought up again and let me say this:

1. Nintendo does Directs for E3 now
  2. Nintendo traditionally has not announced new hardware during Directs, the focus for them being only games
  3. Everything about this being a smaller or more powerful Switch is just baseless speculation at this point
  4. Nintendo regularly puts out fake information to sniff out leakers and protect what they're actually working on (see: Pokemon Stars, that Star Fox racing game)

This information also comes from the Wall Street Journal, though, and it's well-known for both having good sources as ell as double- and triple-checking those sources.

I'd add that variants of the Switch might be perfect for a Direct, since there's not that much to warrant a separate event (it's a Switch, but cheaper/slightly more powerful).  If it can offer hands-on time it can invite the media to private meetings ahead of time.

Hopefully a one comes out under £200. I can't justify £280 for a device just for Stardew Valley and Rocket League. 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Light TG 

Plays: Minesweeper at 1000 fps. 

2 hours ago, bradwiggo said:

Hopefully a one comes out under £200. I can't justify £280 for a device just for Stardew Valley and Rocket League. 

that's why you also add breath of the wild

3 minutes ago, Eaglerino said:

that's why you also add breath of the wild

I played Breath of the Wild on a friends Wii U and wasn't really that fussed about it. It seems like a really good game, but it's not my kind of thing. Looks nice though, I like the art style. 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Light TG 

Plays: Minesweeper at 1000 fps. 

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I'm sure if AMD wanted they could make a SOC on 7FF with ARM CPU Cores and a bunch of Vega CUs for a low power budget.

Edit: Oof. Didn't realize this thread was so old and I've probably replied earlier quoting Taf's post.

All good! When the Dev Cycle for the Switch happened, Ryzen hadn't been officially announced yet. So, for the next iterations of the Switch, Nintendo do have options, but they'll probably be doing some semi-custom system with Nvidia at least for a bit. Not that they probably won't be forced to go to AMD for Switch 2 because Nvidia can't be bothered to do the work again.