Halo: master chief collection is coming to steam(Disclaimer: this is not a troll)

BlockedTheShot
4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I know that exclusivity can seem anti-consumer, but in this case? What Epic is doing is pretty much the only way a new entrant can get into the ecosystem at this point.

I beg to differ. It might seem as the only way to get into the market and competing against Steam and other platforms out there, but you can't deny the fact that exclusivity is actually an anti-consumerist move as you don't give them a proper choice. Thing is though with Steam, is that it has been out there for a long, long time and already many users have settled down with the Store as their primary go-to place to get games. Competing with Steam should've been done ages ago. Nevertheless, exclusivity ain't only Epic's fault, but also that of the publisher.

At least in this case with Halo, MS has decided to release it on two different stores. I personally will most likely use the Windows Store due to the ability of using Game Pass and when the time comes, I'll make the choice of buying it either of Steam or on the Windows Store.

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

2 hours ago, Ithanul said:

No kidding, I mentioned the MMC coming to PC over on Discord channel I'm in.

Someone went complain about wanting a Halo Wars 2 port.  Told them it is available for PC through the Microsoft Store.  Said person than just says if not on Steam they don't care.  :I 

Seems some folks gotten to the point if they don't see a game on Steam.  It don't exist for PC.  No wonder why other online PC game stores have a up hill battle at times.  

Agreed - I've even seen many users argue here on the forums that having to run anything but Steam is an affront to their PCMR membership. Running two launchers? Blasphemy!

21 minutes ago, Master Delta Chief said:

I beg to differ. It might seem as the only way to get into the market and competing against Steam and other platforms out there, but you can't deny the fact that exclusivity is actually an anti-consumerist move as you don't give them a proper choice. Thing is though with Steam, is that it has been out there for a long, long time and already many users have settled down with the Store as their primary go-to place to get games. Competing with Steam should've been done ages ago. Nevertheless, exclusivity ain't only Epic's fault, but also that of the publisher.

You're right, we should have had competition years ago.

But we didn't get that. I'm dealing with the realities of the situation, and frankly, outside of self-published games (Eg: Origin and uPlay), and Niche platform (GoG focusing on nostalgia and old games), pretty much nothing has come anywhere close to competing with Steam.

21 minutes ago, Master Delta Chief said:

At least in this case with Halo, MS has decided to release it on two different stores. I personally will most likely use the Windows Store due to the ability of using Game Pass and when the time comes, I'll make the choice of buying it either of Steam or on the Windows Store.

Since I already own the MCC on Xbox (digitally), I'll use the Microsoft store. Sure as hell not buying it again just to play on Steam.

The point being, what can Epic do to draw users away from Steam? Exclusives. I can't see any practical alternative that will actually work.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Since I already own the MCC on Xbox (digitally), I'll use the Microsoft store. Sure as hell not buying it again just to play on Steam.

The point being, what can Epic do to draw users away from Steam? Exclusives. I can't see any practical alternative that will actually work.

Is it confirmed that the Master Chief Collection is a 'Play Anywhere' title? Like you said, I'm not going to pay for it again if I don't have to. I just didn't see where Microsoft said specifically it was 'Play Anywhere'.

2 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Is it confirmed that the Master Chief Collection is a 'Play Anywhere' title? Like you said, I'm not going to pay for it again if I don't have to. I just didn't see where Microsoft said specifically it was 'Play Anywhere'.

I'm not sure - but it is confirmed to be on (or rather, coming soon to) the Microsoft Store. However, Halo Wars 2 was Play Anywhere, so I'd be shocked if it weren't.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

I'm not sure - but it is confirmed to be on (or rather, coming soon to) the Microsoft Store. However, Halo Wars 2 was Play Anywhere, so I'd be shocked if it weren't.

Yeah fair enough, we'll wait and see. It surprises me that the 'Halo: Reach' Campaign is paid DLC, when the multiplayer is free... Interested to see how they'll price that DLC.

Anyways it's still early days, hopefully this is not one of those cases where a title has been announced way too early.

10 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Yeah fair enough, we'll wait and see. It surprises me that the 'Halo: Reach' Campaign is paid DLC, when the multiplayer is free... Interested to see how they'll price that DLC.

Anyways it's still early days, hopefully this is not one of those cases where a title has been announced way too early.

I assume Reach Campaign is DLC because of a few reasons:

1. ODST was DLC

2. Most people are interested in the Multiplayer (not me, but most people), so they don't want to piss too many people off

3. They probably figure anyone passionate enough about the campaign won't mind paying for it.

And frankly, I'm 100% okay with the Reach campaign being DLC. I'll still buy it. The MCC was already a good deal even without Reach.

Now they need to port Halo 5 Guardians to PC as well.

I would've cared if this was 5+ years ago. Now I don't.
IMO, "delayed release" of older games on other platforms, are essentially last minute money grab for dead games that nobody care about anymore and have moved on to other, newer games.
That'd be like SEGA finally releasing PSO2 in the west like they've promised us all those years ago... 7 years after its release in Japan... It's too late.

I'm just surprised they've chosen to release it on Steam instead of making it exclusive to the Windows Store.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Might as well release Age of Empires: DE on Steam.

Wouldn't be surprised that M$ buys Steam.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

IMO, "delayed release" of older games on other platforms, are essentially last minute money grab for dead games that nobody care about anymore and have moved on to other, newer games.
That'd be like SEGA finally releasing PSO2 in the west like they've promised us all those years ago... 7 years after its release in Japan... It's too late.

I'm just surprised they've chosen to release it on Steam instead of making it exclusive to the Windows Store.

I think this is more than a "delayed release" though. In most cases, you're right. But I think in this case it's to instil a renewed interest in the series for PC users. It's been rumoured for a long time, the next Halo game, 'Halo Infinite' will release on PC. This just adds to the interest for that title and all but confirms new Halo titles will release on PC.

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I assume Reach Campaign is DLC because of a few reasons:

1. ODST was DLC

2. Most people are interested in the Multiplayer (not me, but most people), so they don't want to piss too many people off

3. They probably figure anyone passionate enough about the campaign won't mind paying for it.

And frankly, I'm 100% okay with the Reach campaign being DLC. I'll still buy it. The MCC was already a good deal even without Reach.

Now they need to port Halo 5 Guardians to PC as well.

You're right, MCC is already 4 games and has a lot of work put into debugging. I think the Halo Reach multiplayer wasn't very well received but at least we're getting something on the house and people will pay for the campaign, if it's a reasonable price I'd be inclined as well.

I think it's inevitable that Halo 5 will be ported, but it's a big undertaking, the game is almost 90GB on Xbox One. Perhaps only the campaign ends up being ported.

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Better late than never, but then again, I get why some people wouldn't care about it now anymore. However, the community has been asking for it for so long that they've finally listened. It might be seen as a money grab by MS, but I have my doubts about it. Same thing goes for Half-Life 3 if it ever gets a release by Valve. A lot of people have basically moved on. Regardless, personally I'm hyped on getting almost the entire collection of Halo games on PC finally after so many years. Actually am more hyped on this than Infinite.

Desktops

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

12 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I know that exclusivity can seem anti-consumer, but in this case? What Epic is doing is pretty much the only way a new entrant can get into the ecosystem at this point.

Consider this: If Epic didn't include exclusive games, why would you ever choose them over Steam? Consumers are lazy fucks. They don't even want to buy games on different platforms, even if a different platform is better. Steam has become over many years the Go To platform - MOSTLY because they were simply first to do it.

Now, does Epic Store need more features? Hell yes. But they're far ahead of where Steam was when it was first released.

Epic Store definitely has some improvements to make (As does Steam, for that matter), but they're simply not going to be around if they can't get people onto their platform. To build that initial userbase, they basically have to resort to timed exclusives.

That is, unless you want Steam to remain the de facto monopoly?

I get why epic games would buy exclusives to try and get a foothold into the market. I do find it strange that some people were thinking halo would be one of those games. It would make zero sense because Microsoft already has it's own store where it would get 100% of the cut. They 100% are releasing it on steam because they know that steam has a huge user base that will increase sales more than enough to cover the 30 to 25% cut valve takes. Its actually really smart on their part because the steam user base is massive and way more people will be willing to buy the games with it being on steam. 

7 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I was watching a YouTube video of a halo content creator and they said they had been working with 343 for about 6 months now giving them feedback on what they want in a PC port and other details. I'm not sure how long a PC port takes but with 3 different developers working on it I think it shouldnt take too long to get the first one out. I think they said by the end if the year. 

4 hours ago, TetraSky said:

It's not as simple as a delayed release of older games though. They are doing a proper port with improved visuals with 4k HDR support and other PC related features like fov sliders and ultrwide support. They are getting the help of 2 different developer teams to port these games so it clearly is going to take some work if they are getting outside help. You cant really call it a cash grab if they are putting alot of time and effort into a project like this in order to deliver what their fans had been asking for. 

15 hours ago, Master Delta Chief said:

Better late than never, but then again, I get why some people wouldn't care about it now anymore. However, the community has been asking for it for so long that they've finally listened. It might be seen as a money grab by MS, but I have my doubts about it. Same thing goes for Half-Life 3 if it ever gets a release by Valve. A lot of people have basically moved on. Regardless, personally I'm hyped on getting almost the entire collection of Halo games on PC finally after so many years. Actually am more hyped on this than Infinite.

I agree, i rely get annoyed when people beg and plead for something and then as soon as they do it they are vilified and called shills. It makes no sense and people rely need to get outside.

My Current Build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/36jXwh

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO XT | Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 2x8Gb DDR4 @3000MHz | GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS XTREME Video Card | Storage: Samsung - 860 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 - Sandisk SSD 240GB - Sandisk SSD 1TB - WD Blue 4TB| PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | Case: Corsair - Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case | System Fans: Corsair - ML120 PRO RGB 47.3 CFM 120mm x 4 & Corsair - ML140 PRO RGB 55.4 CFM 140mm x 2 | Display: Samsung KS9000 |Keyboard: Logitech - G613 | Mouse: Logitech - G703 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

16 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Agreed - I've even seen many users argue here on the forums that having to run anything but Steam is an affront to their PCMR membership. Running two launchers? Blasphemy!

You're right, we should have had competition years ago.

But we didn't get that. I'm dealing with the realities of the situation, and frankly, outside of self-published games (Eg: Origin and uPlay), and Niche platform (GoG focusing on nostalgia and old games), pretty much nothing has come anywhere close to competing with Steam.

There are a few solutions in which Epic can become as equal as Steam, and that is including the same features and a few new ones which I can't currently come up with, price reduction, much better security, more content (For ex. older games that even GoG doesn't have) and of course no exclusivity. 

But I think we're missing out on another player which recently entered the race... Discord. 

9 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

It's not as simple as a delayed release of older games though. They are doing a proper port with improved visuals with 4k HDR support and other PC related features like fov sliders and ultrwide support. They are getting the help of 2 different developer teams to port these games so it clearly is going to take some work if they are getting outside help. You cant really call it a cash grab if they are putting alot of time and effort into a project like this in order to deliver what their fans had been asking for. 

If I'm not mistaken, the 4K support and so forth already has been implemented so I doubt they'll have to put too much effort into that for porting it over to PC. Other things like FoV and FPS caps still need some work. I doubt it actually that it'll take till the end of the year to port it all over, but those are just my thoughts about it.

Desktops

18 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Same, I be surprised if the MMC are not play anywhere/game pass.  My full plan is to get the games over on the Store for that feature.  I been loving those features with FH4.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

On 3/12/2019 at 9:10 PM, Master Delta Chief said:

It's unlikely you will require a subscription for playing online on PC. Same thing for Halo Wars 1 and 2. Both do not require Xbox Live Gold for multiplayer.

Quick edit: Nothing so far in the official post on Halo Waypoint says that you require it so. The only thing it's purpose is probably for is to be connected with your friends over at Xbox and so forth. 

any game on the microsoft store on windows 10 will let you play online without the subscription so gears of war, sea of thieves they all allow you to play with out the gold

MY MAIN BUILD AT FATHERS HOUSE!

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard

RAM: 32gb ddr3

Hard Drive:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case: Rosewill TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case

Network Adapter:  TP-Link TL-WN781ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

Monitor:  Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor

Keyboard:  Thermaltake CHALLENGER PRIME Wired Gaming Keyboard

Mouse:  MSI Interceptor DS B1 Wired Optical Mouse

Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers

This is great news. I always wanted to play the Halo games. 

Also, with Halo no longer being exclusive, Xbox just lost any reason to exist. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

2 minutes ago, Giganthrax said:

This i s 100% spot on, i think they will draw back from the market over the next few generations. The obvious test of a disk-less Xbox and all of there consumer and commercial services and software packages going to SAAS is a huge indication that Microsoft want to go to a services only business. I can see the complete upside to this, it reduces overheads so far that it's practically genius.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO XT | Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 2x8Gb DDR4 @3000MHz | GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS XTREME Video Card | Storage: Samsung - 860 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 - Sandisk SSD 240GB - Sandisk SSD 1TB - WD Blue 4TB| PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | Case: Corsair - Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case | System Fans: Corsair - ML120 PRO RGB 47.3 CFM 120mm x 4 & Corsair - ML140 PRO RGB 55.4 CFM 140mm x 2 | Display: Samsung KS9000 |Keyboard: Logitech - G613 | Mouse: Logitech - G703 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Giganthrax said:

well It still is a exclusive, its exclusive to Microsoft. Its just now they are grouping PC under their xbox games umbrella.

Microsoft can hit it big with a ecosystem advantage over Sony and Nintendo by allowing people to play and transfer saves between PC and xbox it will push people to stay in the Microsoft camp and not to swtich to Sony or Nintendo.

The more Microsoft can blur the line of PC and Xbox, the harder its going to be for sony to convince people to switch or stay on PlayStation.

Xbox seems to be becoming a service not a console

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

21 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

well It still is a exclusive, its exclusive to Microsoft. Its just now they are grouping PC under their xbox games umbrella.

Microsoft can hit it big with a ecosystem advantage over Sony and Nintendo by allowing people to play and transfer saves between PC and xbox it will push people to stay in the Microsoft camp and not to swtich to Sony or Nintendo.

The more Microsoft can blur the line of PC and Xbox, the harder its going to be for sony to convince people to switch or stay on PlayStation.

Xbox seems to be becoming a service not a console

I totally see what you mean but most people who buy a console just don't care about FPS, FOV and playing games as they were designed. I don't see this as a big ace for Microsoft in all. Its a big one up but it wouldn't take much is pushed for SONY to follow suit and release games to Steam if it relay hurt their sales. 

There is also the point that SONY at this point hold an amazing exclusives library and thats why they have strong sales at this point in time. I don't sit on any side, i love PC and consoles for many different reasons so don't interpret what i say as being a fan boy. The only reason i didn't by an Xbox one is there are no games i care about that i cant buy on PS4 or PC bar MCC. I just couldn't justify that cost for one game and that will stand true if they can't do the same going forward. But hey, who knows what will happen and its all a mystery as to where people spend their money half the time. But what i do know is things are changing and thats always exciting. 

20 minutes ago, Bravo1cc said:

I totally see what you mean but most people who buy a console just don't care about FPS, FOV and playing games as they were designed. I don't see this as a big ace for Microsoft in all. Its a big one up but it wouldn't take much is pushed for SONY to follow suit and release games to Steam if it relay hurt their sales. 

There is also the point that SONY at this point hold an amazing exclusives library and thats why they have strong sales at this point in time. I don't sit on any side, i love PC and consoles for many different reasons so don't interpret what i say as being a fan boy. The only reason i didn't by an Xbox one is there are no games i care about that i cant buy on PS4 or PC bar MCC. I just couldn't justify that cost for one game and that will stand true if they can't do the same going forward. But hey, who knows what will happen and its all a mystery as to where people spend their money half the time. But what i do know is things are changing and thats always exciting. 

they might but as of now, Sony has no answer to play anywhere, and seamless cross plateform play. the level of xbox integration on PC is far more then just releasing a game on steam.

my old xbox account is the same account I use to login to all of my windows 10 PCs, all my settings carry over, all my xbox stats, OS level friends and game management, Voice chat and messages between PC and xbox,  one shared game/app store.

It would take sony a lot of time and money to get to the level Microsoft has been piecing together over the past many years, and they will never have OS level integration.

I can go to any store, buy any windows 10 PC, login and with 0 3rd party application download and play my xbox anywhere games. I can also pick up my last saved spot on any device.

If I was going to buy any console now, xbox just fits into my ecosystem like a glove with. where if I bought a PlayStation is would be like starting from 0.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

6 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

they might but as of now, Sony has no answer to play anywhere, and seamless cross plateform play. the level of xbox integration on PC is far more then just releasing a game on steam.

my old xbox account is the same account I use to login to all of my windows 10 PCs, all my settings carry over, all my xbox stats, OS level friends and game management, Voice chat and messages between PC and xbox,  one shared game/app store.

It would take sony a lot of time and money to get to the level Microsoft has been piecing together over the past many years, and they will never have OS level integration.

I can go to any store, buy any windows 10 PC, login and with 0 3rd party application download and play my xbox anywhere games. I can also pick up my last saved spot on any device.

If I was going to buy any console now, xbox just fits into my ecosystem like a glove with. where if I bought a PlayStation is would be like starting from 0.

I get what you mean but SONY wont need to build all of that out, all they will need is the option to buy games else where and import a save, they have done this before with Vita and Playstation Now. Its nothing new for them, yea it would take a little time but not much. I just don't think that many people will care about this cross play to the point that it will cause SONY an issue. If it does happen i guess we will see. 

I have hard copies of the first two games and was never in much of a rush to expand upon them to be honest.

Since this appears to be a steam exclusive, I guess I will be waiting for alternate availability since I refuse to support spyware programs and DRM.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

15 minutes ago, Hellion said:

I have hard copies of the first two games and was never in much of a rush to expand upon them to be honest.

Since this appears to be a steam exclusive, I guess I will be waiting for alternate availability since I refuse to support spyware programs and DRM.

It isn't a Steam exclusive... It's available on the Windows Store as well, but considering that the Winstore itself could potentially (not sure about that) have a few tracking stuff, I don't think you'll be buying it digitally at all. 

Desktops