Windows 10 May Reserve Another 7GB For Updates.

Uttamattamakin
Go to solution Solved by LAwLz,
7 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Yeah, when hardware was expensive, higher dev costs made more sense. As hardware gets cheaper, high dev costs no longer make sense.

I understand that, but when you are a software company, which is by far the most widely used PC operating system, then maybe you should invest some money into optimizing it.

"It costs money" is to me not a valid excuse for doing a poor job. Again, imagine if Volkswagen used that excuse for poor miles per gallon results compared to their competitors.

"It costs a lot of money to make the engines more efficient".

And yes I understand that Microsoft makes money basically regardless of how well optimized Windows is. I can understand business decisions for how to allocate resources without having to agree with it. What I am saying here is that I wish Microsoft would take better care of Windows than they do.

As a consumer and user of their product, I don't really care how much money they make from something. What I care about is how good the product is. I am not here to argue how Microsoft can create a product I will buy with as little effort as possible. I am here to voice my opinion about how I think Microsoft should make the product better for me. I am not employed by Microsoft so I don't have any obligation to defend them. I am a user so I should express what I want.

28 minutes ago, mr moose said:

7 was when they put a limit on that, but people still found a way around it.

huh? if you need 24/7 up time you should be on a system designed to give you that, 99% of home users do not need 24/7.  Trying to argue that 1 or 2 % of home enthusiasts want to is not a valid reason to give everyone an option that ends in issues.

Yes,  if you want a drill that can drill through concrete you can't just buy a $20 wood drill and then complain because it doesn't work. properly. 

A way around that it is definitely something that could give problems in the future, as for people digging into the registry or the system files would encounter issues in the future (if that's what you mean)

Come on, I shouldn't even say it? I could also need 24/7 up system for just a week, or after I postponed enough times, or for some periods, how would that apply too? People are not going to buy 300€ or whatever it is just for this and still you can't blame those people for being mad with microsoft

Just percentages? still this isn't a valid point as some problem will eventually show up for everyone as we aren't doing the same things every day, you are underestimating the amount of people that there are in this world using Windows 10 as there would be someone with an issue someday and somewhere, definitely not the 1% considering how Windows is widespread

Wut? How would that comparison even apply honestly this is just a stupid argument

23 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Again, this is because when they gave people the option they chose not to run updates.  People will nearly always choose the laziest or easiest option regardless of the consequences. When updates where option they turned them off.

No, what is stupid is buying the cheapest OS you can then complaining because it doesn't have features you knew it didn't have, you know what elsee is stupid, trying to use a drill to hammer in a nail.

You are missing the point, we all agree the update system is frustrating, we get it, we know,  but updates in windows are necessary, you can't avoid them, and becasue people did for so long they became forced. 

Again, solve the people choosing not to update when they have the option and then there wil be no excuse for forced updates.

Again, and I'm saying this is still stupid, why should an OS fix user errors? They will end up getting a virus somehow, and I definitely seen this happen lol...

Or those lazy users could be rather install or just don't update to Windows 10, being Windows 7 or 8.1 as a solution which would have security issues when Microsoft will terminate the support

And how would you call that a feature? A shutdown without an update which is always been present from Windows XP? 

That's not a feature, it's a downgrade, and people are right being mad for this as I am a Windows user too sometimes, at least now I know you could manage that through a 300€ OS but whatever, I would definitely call that stupid

18 minutes ago, Arika S said:

most people dont even pay full price for W10 home. there was a link on page 2 to ebay for LTSC keys for $20-$30. and if anyone does "need" the enterprise version for personal use, then they are going to be smart enough to find them cheap, since they technically can't by the key officially.

If you're updating a driver during a workload then that's the user's fault again, you don't get to that point of using windows 10 and go "oh, what? it needs to restart?" you would already know this. 

there are legitimate reasons to be mad, yes, but most of them can be fixed/mitigated by using the correct software for the job and managing the restart times correctly

easily. surely you've heard the saying "the right tool for the right job" same thing applies.

They pay when they buy a PC with an OEM license...

Anyway the effort required for something this stupid is just insane

An user fault or an user need? Let's say drivers could also apply to some very important external-device stuff and people shouldn't pay 300€ for using it right before just a reboot without doing updates? 

If by mitigating or fixing manually you mean digging into the registry editor or system files, which isn't something for everyone, is going to have issues as an update may break everything

I remember the days when people installed custom themes...

EDIT: And all of this even considered that you couldn't have any issue on Linux with that, but I'm just assuming you need to use a program or something that just works under Windows obviously...As I have those needs too

Edited by Guest

Didn't Microsoft's own Surface 1 and 2 tablets start at 32GB of storage? Wait those are Windows RT... Does this affect Windows RT?
If it does. Well this is exactly what I and many others criticized and said would happen back then.

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Saying:

Put this into the terminal

is far faster, and less error prone than saying:

Open this menu, and then look for the menu which says XXXXX. Depending on which version of the program you have, the menu might also say YYYYY. Then int hat menu, change to this tab, and then click on this button. That will bring up a menu which is called ZZZZZZ. In there, click on this button and fill in this.

which is how a lot of solutions for GUI-only programs are described.

it is quicker, sure, but doesn't really teach the user much. at least with GUI instructions there's the chance of them remembering it and being able to fix it next time. with terminal commands, i didn't even know was "sudo" meant until i specifically looked for it.

no idea how the Linux repositories work, but since it's just a whole bunch of, essentially code, to most people, would someone be able to go to a forum and tell people to fix their problem by installing a "program" that is actually a keylogger/spyware/malware etc? or is there some vetting that it needs to go to before you can do "apt get" to download it through terminal?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 minutes ago, Arika S said:

no idea how the Linux repositories work, but since it's just a whole bunch of, essentially code, to most people, would someone be able to go to a forum and tell people to fix their problem by installing a "program" that is actually a keylogger/spyware/malware etc? or is there some vetting that it needs to go to before you can do "apt get" to download it through terminal? 

When you apt-get, your computer searches through the repositories that are linked on your computer, and then tries to find packages that matches the name you specified in the command.

Out of the box, distros like Ubuntu only point to their own repositories. Here is an example of what the repo list looks like in Ubuntu (located in /etc/apt/sources.list).

###### Ubuntu Main Repos
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise main restricted universe multiverse 
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise main restricted universe multiverse 

###### Ubuntu Update Repos
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-security main restricted universe multiverse 
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates main restricted universe multiverse 
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-proposed main restricted universe multiverse 
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-backports main restricted universe multiverse 
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-security main restricted universe multiverse 
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates main restricted universe multiverse 
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-proposed main restricted universe multiverse 
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-backports main restricted universe multiverse 

###### Ubuntu Partner Repo
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu precise partner
deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu precise partner

###### Ubuntu Extras Repo
deb http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu precise main
deb-src http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu precise main

The packages that gets added to the Ubuntu repos are vetted so by default everything downloaded through apt-get is vetted and should be safe. Here is a more detailed explanation of how the process works.

However, you can add your own repos to the list if you want. If I hosted my own repo and asked you to add a link to it in your sources.list file, then you could download packages I upload through apt-get, and in that case you could download and install malicious software.

42 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

For me, it's a lot of jargon straight up that is foreign to me, I was running Ubuntu on a full install but now I'm kind of cheating in that running Linux in a VM makes a lot of the process easy and at the same time might be easier to learn. I've had a lot of issues with just the install process so if I can learn the OS in a Virtualized environment where there's no risk and I just make a new install if something happens it should be a good process and enjoyable process.New SSD should help with speed too ?.

IMHO

Linux in a VM hosted by Windows (Or vice versa) creates an ideal os that can do anything. 

Didn't Microsoft's own Surface 1 and 2 tablets start at 32GB of storage? Wait those are Windows RT... Does this affect Windows RT?
If it does. Well this is exactly what I and many others criticized and said would happen back then.

Surface RT probably did... but RT was not meant to be a full replacement computer.  Surface PRO 1 may have started at 64GB but the one I had started at 128 GB.  (Great hardy computer that my little sister broke in frustration our carelessness.... I shouldn't have given it to her).   The type of person who'd buy a surface pro 1 would likely have upgraded by now. 

Yeah... this would make any device with less than 64 GB obsolete.   I mean really OBSOLETE not just dated. 

5 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

IMHO

Linux in a VM hosted by Windows (Or vice versa) creates an ideal os that can do anything. 

I would also say a VM in general with IOMMU which would let you virtualize also graphics cards, for accelerated workloads even with CUDA

Sadly I don't have the money for that, but I will get rid of dual booting eventually someday 

7 minutes ago, Arika S said:

it is quicker, sure, but doesn't really teach the user much. at least with GUI instructions there's the chance of them remembering it and being able to fix it next time. with terminal commands, i didn't even know was "sudo" meant until i specifically looked for it.

I'll admit. The times I tried linux distros on my laptop  I kinda liked and hated when I had issues and the answer was just some terminal code.
Its awesome because it is (potentially) really easy to fix something. Its annoying because I had no idea what the heck I was copy pasting.
- And without understanding what I'm doing... its kinda hard to fix later problems, and really does not help when someone is trying to jump the hurdle that is learning a new operating system...

1 minute ago, Lukyp said:

I would also say an VM in general with IOMMU which would let you virtualize also graphics cards, for accelerated workloads even with CUDA

Sadly I don't have the money for that, but I will get rid of dual booting eventually someday 

YES.  If I could do that with my setup I would.  I can VM and do almost anything while being AFK on GTAV with what I have.    

If I could run my simulations and such on my ext GPU while gaming or whatever else on the one in my laptop that would be ideal. 

Then drag the computed result from Linux and drop it into MS office to make my power points.  That would be 100% (Yeah I know about libre office I like/liked it... corporate environments need MS office.  The boss isn't going to know what to make of an .odt that does not look right to them. )

30 minutes ago, Arika S said:

it is quicker, sure, but doesn't really teach the user much. at least with GUI instructions there's the chance of them remembering it and being able to fix it next time. with terminal commands, i didn't even know was "sudo" meant until i specifically looked for itt

I agree, typically there are a bunch of Linux users who just read old walkthroughs somewhere for something and don't actually know anything about it so it would be also throwing you to potential issues 

Typically, if that is an hardware workaround for some kind of issue, those are not required if the system is completely supported as most of Linux installations and usage are

• Install the distro, GUI 
  • Double click to the package, install it, use the software, GUI

As people (more in the past) typically blame linux driver issues, when the drivers are not an issue they are automatically updated and loaded plug&play from the kernel itself automatically and don't require the user to do something
(notable examples are the Xbox controller, or even the PS3 or the PS4 one)

Today is literally another world than the past

You could add a repository even through a GUI but as @LAwLz said, it's faster from a CLI and mitigates user errors. You could just open the software center and put them on it

39 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Noppe, i meant lazy to learn new stuff, BTW its still not a reason for MS to force stuff onto us that we do not want.

Laxy in both ways, that's the problem, but it seems you're hell bent on ignoring the root cause of the problem.

37 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Okay, which OS do you recommend?

Apparently you can manage your own updates in enterprise (including turning them completely off).  According to everyone in this thread Linux will work. But don't ask loaded questions as I have already said end user dependent.

So I am not allowed to suggest improvements for the products I use, and want to keep using? You have to understand that I am not complaining about the update situation because I think it's fun to shit on Microsoft. I am complaining because I want the product to improve so that I enjoy using it more. I want to enjoy using it.

You are allowed to suggest whatever you want, but if you want to ignore my points and argue stuff that is largely irrelevant then I am not going to sit down and discuss them.  My point still stands and no has provided a reasonable argument as to why I might be wrong.

I do not fully trust anti-beacon either. It can also cause issues, and since Microsoft are constantly changing things anti-beacon is not always up-to-date.

Which data viewer are you referring to? Also, I don't trust that it actually shows everything. For example if it claims to show telemetry data then it may not include things like the collection of copy/paste data since that's a feature rather than telemetry. Microsoft seriously harmed my trust for them when they started including telemetry functionality in security updates, and implemented privacy settings which doesn't fully turn things off despite claiming to do so. I do not trust them to do what they claim to do.

I think the bottom line here is you just don't trust.  Which is fine, not a lot of reasons to trust anyone, but unfortunately in life this is something you are going to have to come to terms with.

I have spoken to Microsoft contacts through work and sent feedback to the feedback hub. They are not interested in implementing the things I suggest because it goes against their current plans.

And the attitude of the wider population. 

I gave real, objective examples of when this is useful. It's not an opinion that being able to install individual updates is useful if one update is giving you issues, but another fixes a security hole. How can you possibly dismiss that as just an opinion? Also, even if it was an opinion it could still be an improvement. If 9/10 people like orange marmalade then "make orange marmalade" would be a valid suggestion to increase sales of a companies marmalade (assuming they didn't have that in their assortment already). When talking about how Microsoft can make the update experience better for people, and encourage them, to willingly update, the opinions of their users matters.

That's nice, but I am talking about why we have forced updates, you can't ignore the fact people don't want to update and given the opportunity they won't.

Prove it. I asked you for evidence to prove it, and you haven't given me any.

Prove that people were turning it off (not just some search results, but actual statistics of how many were turning it off) and prove that people would still turn it off if the changes I suggested were implemented. Unless you can prove it, you're just making baseless assumptions.

I guess you don't read any of the links I provide.

26 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

A way around that it is definitely something that could give problems in the future, as for people digging into the registry or the system files would encounter issues in the future (if that's what you mean)

No, what I mean is if people know they can turn of those annoying updates they will,  then we get malware infestations again.

Come on, I shouldn't even say it? I could also need 24/7 up system for just a week, or after I postponed enough times, or for some periods, how would that apply too? People are not going to buy 300€ or whatever it is just for this and still you can't blame those people for being mad with microsoft

Yes you should, if there is a valid reason for needing you PC on that often that updates are an issue then you are using the wrong OS,  it doesn't matter if that is for a week or for 52 weeks.

Just percentages? still this isn't a valid point as some problem will eventually show up for everyone as we aren't doing the same things every day, you are underestimating the amount of people that there are in this world using Windows 10 as there would be someone with an issue someday and somewhere, definitely not the 1% considering how Windows is widespread

Wut? How would that comparison even apply honestly this is just a stupid argument

You are using the wrong tool for the job. if you think that is stupid it is because you expect a domestic product to carry out commercial jobs. 

Again, and I'm saying this is still stupid, why should an OS fix user errors? They will end up getting a virus somehow, and I definitely seen this happen lol...

huh?  How else are you going to circumvent the issues that arise from not updating?  Stop trying to use an argument of absolutes.  Of course some people will still get viruses, but as has been shown providentially and demonstrably that updates operating systems get less. 

Or those lazy users could be rather install or just don't update to Windows 10, being Windows 7 or 8.1 as a solution which would have security issues when Microsoft will terminate the support

And how would you call that a feature? A shutdown without an update which is always been present from Windows XP? 

That's not a feature, it's a downgrade, and people are right being mad for this as I am a Windows user too sometimes, at least now I know you could manage that through a 300€ OS but whatever, I would definitely call that stupid

They pay when they buy a PC with an OEM license...

Anyway the effort required for something this stupid is just insane

An user fault or an user need? Let's say drivers could also apply to some very important external-device stuff and people shouldn't pay 300€ for using it right before just a reboot without doing updates? 

If by mitigating or fixing manually you mean digging into the registry editor or system files, which isn't something for everyone, is going to have issues as an update may break everything

I remember the days when people installed custom themes...

EDIT: And all of this even considered that you couldn't have any issue on Linux with that, but I'm just assuming you need to use a program or something that just works under Windows obviously...As I have those needs too

Who said anything about features or downgrades?  honestly this isn't a complex issue, people weren't updating and that resulted in more malware.  MS fixed the issue with forced updates.  If there is a better way I am sure MS would like to hear about it. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

34 minutes ago, mr moose said:

huh?  How else are you going to circumvent the issues that arise from not updating?  Stop trying to use an argument of absolutes.  Of course some people will still get viruses, but as has been shown providentially and demonstrably that updates operating systems get less. 

Who said anything about features or downgrades?  honestly this isn't a complex issue, people weren't updating and that resulted in more malware.  MS fixed the issue with forced updates.  If there is a better way I am sure MS would like to hear about it. 

Yea but get my point, I agree it's not something that would usually happen, but just consider the murphy's law, this would work unless you find some day when you need to do something important like a meeting or a powerpoint presentation at the university (which happened in front of me with my professor lol) so you are saying in that case he should have an enterprise license in there?
And it couldn't also be a company with enterprise licenses, but just a normal person, still this is stupid...

It isn't the uncorrect tool for the job, it's just ridiculous, and this seem just like a brain washing thing from Microsoft, it's just what it is (and I couldn't care less than being called a linux fanboy btw, I use my operating system by convenience)

There are already suggestions like those into the Insider forum tho

EDIT: Anyway thinking that the responsibility if more people are getting malware is the OS is stupid, also most of the time Windows Defender is perfectly capable of preventing the typical malware situations from typical users too. 
Security fixes are something more complicated and specific

That's why this this thing is a stupid solution too, it is an user responsibility getting malwares (which anyway windows defender prevents that as I said) not the OS, and you can't tell that it's an user fault instead, not considering doing updates before doing something important as this should be an user decision, it's an OS fault not letting the user decide, as it's the user that knows what he needs to do, not the OS.
It's always been like that in the PC world that it's the user that controls the software and not vice-versa (and the need to pay for letting the user control something this simple just because "isn't the use case" buy the enterprise version is sh*tty)

just because there are some trends saying "windows is not secure people are getting malware" is just drama, and shouldn't be considered bad reputation by it's nature
This clearly isn't the solution, considering how people are seeing this forced updates instead lol... Could be a bigger problem for the "reputation"

Edited by Guest

I'm viewing this on a 32GB laptop...

Windows 10 started out so promising, and now it's really starting to become Vista and ME, looks good, and the actual environment is good, but so buggy that people may as well just stick to older Windows versions, or maybe we'll finally even see and end to Wintel.

Just to move away from Windows vs Linux flame-wars for a minute, I'm trying to find a solution to these space-related issues on my daughter's Dell Inspiron 11 which only has a 32GB eMMC drive.  It also has a 64GB microSD card semi-permanently installed (I've put a sticker over it to stop it being easily removed).  While most of her apps are installed on the microSD there are still issues when Windows Update wants more space than is available.  Up-thread a couple of people have mentioned possible solutions.

18 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Currently no. But you can merge a microSD card with your main storage. You can do this via the Storage Sense feature in Windows.

So for example, if you have 32GB eMMC in your system and you add 128GB microSD card, using Storage Sense, you can have your drive appear as a single 160GB drive.

I did some Googling on Storage Sense but couldn't find anything about it being used to merge drives - I can only find mentions of it cleaning up unneeded files.  I also found some information on Storage Spaces, which looks more like what you would need to merge disks, but according to https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/12438/windows-10-storage-spaces you can't use it on your boot drive.  Do you have any more information on how Storage Sense (or Storage Spaces) can be used to merge a 32GB eMMC and a microSD in such a way as it can be used as a Windows 10 boot drive?

10 hours ago, Lukyp said:

That is because the way Windows see a 32GB card on a tablet isn't the same as it would do with a typical external USB storage, you need to create a vhd disk through disk manager, and create a service which mounts it every time, or mount it manually, I solved it in this way on my 32GB tablet 

Alternatively, will creating a VHD disk through Disk Manager work to create a merged boot drive with a 32GB eMMC and a microSD?  Are you able to point me to any guides on how to do that?

The other idea I was toying with would be to use something like PrimoCache (https://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/primo-cache/), using the 32GB eMMC as cache and the microSD card as the boot drive.  That may work better, since a microSD card is much slower than an eMMC drive, and I would think that if you merge the two drives then there's a good chance that important Windows files (or even worse, the swap file) could end up on the slow microSD card.  Has anyone tried anything like this?  How did it go?

If this question is in the wrong forum I apologise.  If that's the case could someone suggest the most appropriate one?  Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Cmdr Scolan said:

Alternatively, will creating a VHD disk through Disk Manager work to create a merged boot drive with a 32GB eMMC and a microSD?  Are you able to point me to any guides on how to do that?

The other idea I was toying with would be to use something like PrimoCache (https://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/primo-cache/), using the 32GB eMMC as cache and the microSD card as the boot drive.  That may work better, since a microSD card is much slower than an eMMC drive, and I would think that if you merge the two drives then there's a good chance that important Windows files (or even worse, the swap file) could end up on the slow microSD card.  Has anyone tried anything like this?  How did it go?

If this question is in the wrong forum I apologise.  If that's the case could someone suggest the most appropriate one?  Thanks.

Sure.
I don't know about the merged drivers, but the fastest solution I tested and can tell to you is that creating an huge vhd file on the sd card and mounting it every time the PC boots, is a solution for Windows Update, should also be for programs installed into the SD card without any performance impacts

You can follow this: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-and-set-vhdx-or-vhd-windows-10

Then this for attaching it automatically 
http://woshub.com/auto-mount-vhd-at-startup/

15 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

Sure.
I don't know about the merged drivers, but the fastest solution I tested and can tell to you is that creating an huge vhd file on the sd card and mounting it every time the PC boots, is a solution for Windows Update, should also be for programs installed into the SD card without any performance impacts

You can follow this: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-and-set-vhdx-or-vhd-windows-10

Then this for attaching it automatically 
http://woshub.com/auto-mount-vhd-at-startup/

I'm a bit confused - if the mounting of the VHD happens after boot, how can it be used as a boot drive?  The problem I'm having is the number of things (including Windows Update) that insist on using storage on the C drive, regardless of how much free space is available elsewhere.

Just now, Cmdr Scolan said:

I'm a bit confused - if the mounting of the VHD happens after boot, how can it be used as a boot drive?  The problem I'm having is the number of things (including Windows Update) that insist on using storage on the C drive, regardless of how much free space is available elsewhere.

It's not used as a boot drive, as I understood when Windows update asks for an external drive it actually just uses it as a temporary storage (probably for downloading and decompressing, also for applying I think?) 

In fact this also requires minimum space on the boot drive for the update to succeed, and you could remove that vhd drive after that

So the point here is that losing 7GB of space for updates is "wtf microsoft?!"?

13 hours ago, samcool55 said:

I still just don't understand why Windows 10 updates are still a big mess. Even after all those years it just keeps getting a worse and worse experience.

Linux is a perfect example that it can be done differently. Doesn't take much time, doesn't require much power, doesn't need a restart every 5 minutes and doesn't need much space too.

Like, why can't windows 10 be at least somewhat similar?

12 hours ago, Lukyp said:

Meanwhile my entire Kubuntu system files weight 9.8 GB lol including my programs

Shhhh, you're all just being tinfoil hat wearing, Microsoft hating idiots! What? Linux is more secure, while having way more user control, taking way less space and it doesn't have to restart every day? Sounds like a load to me! Also, Linux isn't good for the majority of home users, so HA, your arguments are instantly invalid! Windows is the only OS that can meet most people's needs, so quit your pointless speak on how it could be improved!

Also, most people don't even need 24/7 uptime. Just because it's a nice feature to have and just because it's achievable on a properly built OS, doesn't mean the almighty Microsoft should have to break their necks just to satisfy your niche needs! They already rule the world! They don't NEED YOU, and they don't need to improve to meet YOUR standards! So go crawl into your little crappy Linux hole and let the grown ups talk.

Also, we're in the year 2019! Who needs space optimization?! Just get a 500gb SSD and 16GB of RAM already and quit holding back progress you nerds. Pshh, actually, make that 1TB and 32GB, it IS 2019 after all.

biggest /s of my life, sorry for I have sinned

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

2 hours ago, Lukyp said:

Yea but get my point, I agree it's not something that would usually happen, but just consider the murphy's law, this would work unless you find some day when you need to do something important like a meeting or a powerpoint presentation at the university (which happened in front of me with my professor lol) so you are saying in that case he should have an enterprise license in there?
And it couldn't also be a company with enterprise licenses, but just a normal person, still this is stupid...

That was my response to people telling me they can't shut down their PC once a week.  

2 hours ago, Lukyp said:

It isn't the uncorrect tool for the job, it's just ridiculous, and this seem just like a brain washing thing from Microsoft, it's just what it is (and I couldn't care less than being called a linux fanboy btw, I use my operating system by convenience)

You're welcome to try and use windows home for a 24/7 computer, but you know it has forced updates that will cause a restart, therefore you are using the wrong tool for the job.  It's not brainwashing, it's just how things work.

2 hours ago, Lukyp said:

There are already suggestions like those into the Insider forum tho

EDIT: Anyway thinking that the responsibility if more people are getting malware is the OS is stupid, also most of the time Windows Defender is perfectly capable of preventing the typical malware situations from typical users too. 
Security fixes are something more complicated and specific

Windows defender, like most security software, can't protect you from an exploitable flaw, it can only protect you from a known malware or virus, that is why patching the security holes with updates is more important than relying on antivirus.

2 hours ago, Lukyp said:

That's why this this thing is a stupid solution too, it is an user responsibility getting malwares (which anyway windows defender prevents that as I said) not the OS, and you can't tell that it's an user fault instead, not considering doing updates before doing something important as this should be an user decision, it's an OS fault not letting the user decide, as it's the user that knows what he needs to do, not the OS.
It's always been like that in the PC world that it's the user that controls the software and not vice-versa (and the need to pay for letting the user control something this simple just because "isn't the use case" buy the enterprise version is sh*tty)

I'm not too sure I follow what you are trying to say here,  for one it is lack of responsibility of the end users that is the problem, forced updates seems to be the only solution.  Also as I just said defender is not going to prevent malware or viruses unless it has a definition of that.  Know a security hole exists is not enough for antivirus software to know what is a threat and what is legitimate.  That's why patching the hole with updates is more important.

2 hours ago, Lukyp said:

just because there are some trends saying "windows is not secure people are getting malware" is just drama, and shouldn't be considered bad reputation by it's nature
This clearly isn't the solution, considering how people are seeing this forced updates instead lol... Could be a bigger problem for the "reputation"

Yes, it could and has easily damaged their reputation, As I already tried to point out, no one likes updates and now they are forced people are pissed,  why would any company piss off their consumer base intentionally?  Simple, people are fucking stupid and don't know how important updates are, they have to force them to prevent things getting worse. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

Shhhh, you're all just being tinfoil hat wearing, Microsoft hating idiots! What? Linux is more secure, while having way more user control, taking way less space and it doesn't have to restart every day? Sounds like a load to me! Also, Linux isn't good for the majority of home users, so HA, your arguments are instantly invalid! Windows is the only OS that can meet most people's needs, so quit your pointless speak on how it could be improved!

Can you please point to a post that made such ridiculous claims.

10 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

Also, most people don't even need 24/7 uptime. Just because it's a nice feature to have and just because it's achievable on a properly built OS, doesn't mean the almighty Microsoft should have to break their necks just to satisfy your niche needs! They already rule the world! They don't NEED YOU, and they don't need to improve to meet YOUR standards! So go crawl into your little crappy Linux hole and let the grown ups talk.

Lets ignore the fact all windows machines have to restart in order to apply some updates, therefore if you want to run a single machine with windows for any length of time you are going to have to accept that it will need to restart (unless you never want to update).  If you had bothered to read any of the posts you are mocking you would have realised that most of us actually recommend Linux or enterprise if you need that kind of control over updates.  Home is for home users who can restart when necessary.

1 hour ago, 2Buck said:

Also, we're in the year 2019! Who needs space optimization?! Just get a 500gb SSD and 16GB of RAM already and quit holding back progress you nerds. Pshh, actually, make that 1TB and 32GB, it IS 2019 after all.

biggest /s of my life, sorry for I have sinned

I'm mixed on this, while I don't always need 24/7 uptime, and don't mind Windows using 7GB of space, there are plenty of people that need to leave their computer on to finish their work and 7GB may be wasting drive space for them.

I'd love a version of Windows 10 that didn't have all the preinstalled app junk i don't need, and come on at lease let me defer the updates until I decide to shut the computer off and go to bed, i'd even be willing to pay extra for it. I guess you haven't tried Linux though, there are plenty of versions good enough for what most home users do on their computer.

An SSD and ram are cheap enough, but an OS that takes up less space would be even more responsive on a 500GB SSD and 16GB of ram.  Having 24/7 uptime is nice even if you just feel like leaving it on sometimes or if you're downloading a game and want to leave it finish overnight because you have slow internet, which i've had to do plenty of times.  Yeah it's 2019 at least let me control my computer lol. I get the auto updates are necessary since most will turn it off otherwise but its annoying that you either have to manually block it or pay extra for enterprise win10.

Edited by Blademaster91

51 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Lets ignore the fact all windows machines have to restart in order to apply some updates, therefore if you want to run a single machine with windows for any length of time you are going to have to accept that it will need to restart (unless you never want to update).  If you had bothered to read any of the posts you are mocking you would have realised that most of us actually recommend Linux or enterprise if you need that kind of control over updates.  Home is for home users who can restart when necessary.

Nobody ignored that fact. It's clear that my point was that it's entirely possible for Windows to be improved upon, why accept that Windows MUST restart for updates? Why argue against perfectly constructive criticism? Why just accept Windows' weaknesses? Now THAT is the mentality that holds back progress. But okay, let's just act like I'm the one who missed the point or didn't read the post.

I also didn't miss where you and others said that "if you need 24/7 uptime, go Linux", but again, that's just a crap way of thinking from my point of view. Why shouldn't Windows improve? Me, I like Windows. It's stupid easy to use and just works in most cases, which is why I use it. But just because I'm a WIndows users, doesn't mean I have to say "Oh, you don't like that about Windows? Well, just go to Linux and stop whining about it". I want the OS I use to improve, and I know that it can improve. I don't ACTUALLY want to use Linux, it's just a pain in comparison (mainly due to lack of software), I just feel like Microsoft is pushing me there.

Oh, and don't even try to act like people haven't said the ridiculous stuff I mocked in my post on these forums regarding this topic. This thread? Mostly no, but this mentality is what I'm mocking, and don't even try to tell me it doesn't exist.

31 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I'd love a version of Windows 10 that didn't have all the preinstalled app junk i don't need, and come on at lease let me defer the updates until I decide to shut to computer off and go to bed, i'd even be willing to pay extra for it. I guess you haven't tried Linux though, there are plenty of versions good enough for what most home users do on their computer.

An SSD and ram are cheap enough, but an OS that takes up less space would be even more responsive on a 500GB SSD and 16GB of ram.  Having 24/7 uptime is nice even if you just feel like leaving it on sometimes or if you're downloading a game and want to leave it finish overnight because you have slow internet, which i've had to do plenty of times.  Yeah it's 2019 at least let me control my computer lol.

The last line of my previous post.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Cool, I still keep my 120 GB SSD half empty so this shouldn't be too much of a problem. There might be a way to turn it off too.

Also, if you are using a SSD, turn off hibernation and sleep, you are wasting storage space and health.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

21 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Please, for the love of god, please be the end of 32GB EMMC windows 10 "laptops"

oi I'll have you know 32 GB holds the normal fluff (browser, etc.), Windows itself, MS Office, and even a few Adobe Creative Suite apps with 5 GB to spare

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.