Oh Noes, Not the Cydia: Cydia may soon be shutting down after over 10 years

Fnige

The Verge Article

Cydia may be coming to an end after over a decade, If you didn't know what cydia is, basically Cydia is a store for jailbroken iPhones and was Ran and Developed by Jay Freeman 

In the earliest days of the iPhone, Cydia arose as a rival distribution channel to Apple’s App Store, built specifically for jailbroken smartphones. Now, more than decade later, Cydia founder Jay “Saurik” Freeman has decided to shut down in-app purchasing through the Cydia mobile store after he acknowledged a bug related to PayPal digital token authorization that affected “very few users,” via TechCrunch. Through Cydia, users could buy mobile software designed to run on a jailbroken iOS device, but the jailbreaking community has grown smaller over the years as Apple’s iOS ecosystem has grown more robust and secure.

Jay wanted to shut down Cydia before the end of this year but after this report, he decided to extend its lifetime.

“The reality is that I wanted to just shut down the Cydia Store entirely before the end of the year, and was considering moving the timetable up after receiving the report (to this weekend),” Freeman wrote in a Reddit post

About the 23rd of December, We should see a more formal post and also have a roadmap for the Final Weeks of Cydia

It sounds as if the Cydia project itself may imminently come to an end, but Freeman says he’s planning a more “formal” post next week to better explain the PayPal issue and also outline the roadmap for Cydia going forward.

Personally, I've never Jailbroken any of apple's products (although I only had one: iPad Gen 2) Though, I'm sure we will miss cydia. Except for DrMacintosh probably

✨FNIGE✨

Poor Jay, having to maintain this. Jailbreaking died a few years ago. No money or worth in it anymore. Cydia was pretty good but now fake jailbreaks etc have spring up, like installing the app on a non-jailbroken phone and jailbreak tools just flat out not working. The peak of jailbreaking was when RedSn0w and Rock was around. Now its as active as your nan after too much rum at Christmas dinner. 

21 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Poor Jay, having to maintain this. Jailbreaking died a few years ago. No money or worth in it anymore. Cydia was pretty good but now fake jailbreaks etc have spring up, like installing the app on a non-jailbroken phone and jailbreak tools just flat out not working. The peak of jailbreaking was when RedSn0w and Rock was around. Now its as active as your nan after too much rum at Christmas dinner. 

How can you compare?

✨FNIGE✨

1 minute ago, SlimyPython said:

How can you compare?

I was there. 

Its not a matter of if, its a matter of when. We already know that Cydia is losing purchase support, and with an ever shrinking population of people who are jailbreaking their iPhones...the whole community is likely not going to be around much longer.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, SlimyPython said:

I'm sure we will miss cydia. Except for DrMacintosh probably

I skipped the first iPad but bought a 16GB iPad 2 and jailbroke it after a year but I un-jailbreak it after a week. Also, jail breaking nowadays is becoming more and more irrelevant as Apple adds more features to iOS. In fact, the control center of iOS 11 seems to have been lifted from the jailbreaking community.

Not to mention Apple is clamping and tightening security with every iOS release so jailbreaking becomes more and more difficult, though still possible. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

What's sileo? Is it a depository like Cydia? If so I think the jailbreak community is safe. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

13 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

who cares....

The jailbreaking community!

✨FNIGE✨

If you are still fond of what jailbreak can bring to your device, and still haven't moved to Android, you need to reevaluate your priorities.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

22 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

If you are still fond of what jailbreak can bring to your device, and still haven't moved to Android, you need to reevaluate your priorities.

*Priorities reeeevaluated

✨FNIGE✨