Microsoft to include Chromium in Windows 10 (Edge will use Chromium engine, which Chrome extention support)

GoodBytes

quick, everyone switch to Firefox for the sake of not using whatever Microsoft wants you to use! 

Lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

The problem with Edge was never even a speed or security. Problem was usability. I can't use browser that has no real extensions or extensive features out of the box like Opera does. I also heavily depend on syncing for bookmarks. None of that was ever in IE or Edge.

You DO have sync of bookmarks (and the rest) in Edge

And I don't know what you mean by "real extensions'.

If you check the Store > Edge Extension, you can see it has a number of ones, including: Ghostery, several ad blockers, several password managers, and more. So beside extensions that changes the look of Edge.

That said, yes, I agree Edge is missing some expected features, like right-click on a image, and pick "View Image", and such.. but I don't know if it was by-choice, or that the team was so focused on trying to get EdgeHTML engine of Edge to be improved

I'll likely continue to use Chrome. I use too many different computers & platforms to sacrifice Chrome's sync features without using another service.

Are you freaking kidding me Microsoft? You finally put out a decent browser so I can move away from Chrome and you go and kill it then replace it with... Chrome?!?!?!?! I'm going back to Opera. :(

The only gripe I have with Edge is it not letting me disable the status bar, normally it's not a problem when browsing normally but 50% of the time I'm watching streaming content in fullscreen mode (i.e. Plex, YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, etc...) the status bar will stay visible until I close the tab and open a new one.

Other than that though it's been awesome. I've never developed a browser extension in my life and within 5 minutes I had this working in Edge (took longer to get it working in Chrome). Either way, it fixed bad font colors in the Night Theme. :D

-KuJoe

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Edge was not rewritten from scratch. Not sure if that is what you are trying to say with this sentence, but I am sure that some people will interpreted it as such.

I didn't want to say that Edge was a UWP version of IE, which it isn't.

Was thinking about it while taking my showing, and I think the term I was looking for is: evolution.

Will correct.

Even though I don't use (or even recommend) Edge, I'm not particularly fond of one rendering engine monopolizing the market.  Although I do see the advantages, from a standards viewpoint.  Personally, I'd gladly trade in new ChrOpera (my personal name for Chromium-based Opera) for PrOpera (Presto-based Opera).  It wasn't without it's flaws, but I still prefer it.  If it wasn't for lack of updates since 2016 (when they surprisingly released a security update), I'd still continue using it.

I guess Firefox stands alone now.  We'll see how long it can last against the market dominance of Chromium.

12 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Disadvantages:

• Chrome uses up a lot of memory (RAM) when running it.
  • If you accidently close the browser, Chrome will close all the tabs opened without warning.

Ram has never been an issue for me. Yes it is higher than other browsers, but it is using that ressources to not be as sucky as the others browsers as well. So more of a tradeoff for better quality. You would need hundreds of tabs open to see a desktop run into issues tho, so id say that is slightly irrelevant. ?

Also you can just reopen windows and tabs as you see fit. Click of a button reopens the last closed window, including all open tabs that window had.

What will happen to Microsoft's alleged power efficiency advantage if they go Chromium? Chrome itself isn't known to be battery friendly.

41 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I'm going back to Opera. :(

so... Chrome

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

so... Chrome

No, Opera.

-KuJoe

2 hours ago, yian88 said:

we need no telemetry

Dear god, no!

Without telemetry software would suck big donkey balls most of the time.

We would constantly get software that does stuff we never use and not stuff we actually want to use. Most features we take for granted would not work at all.

If you think software is bad now, you have no idea how bad it would be without telemetry stuff.

42 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Are you freaking kidding me Microsoft? You finally put out a decent browser so I can move away from Chrome and you go and kill it then replace it with... Chrome?!?!?!?! I'm going back to Opera. :(

But that's.. Chrome also... :|

The only gripe I have with Edge is it not letting me disable the status bar, normally it's not a problem when browsing normally but 50% of the time I'm watching streaming content in fullscreen mode (i.e. Plex, YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, etc...) the status bar will stay visible until I close the tab and open a new one.

Hopefully, once this is released, they can start working on the front end and focus on giving more options and fix this.

Other than that though it's been awesome. I've never developed a browser extension in my life and within 5 minutes I had this working in Edge (took longer to get it working in Chrome). Either way, it fixed bad font colors in the Night Theme. :D

Nice!

Just now, KuJoe said:

No, Opera.

which is chromium based, So......

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

What will happen to Microsoft's alleged power efficiency advantage if they go Chromium? Chrome itself isn't known to be battery friendly.

Well Opera uses Chromium as engine, and they do their own optimization work to solve this problem. So Microsoft may do the same, if they know how to.

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

which is chromium based, So......

Just now, GoodBytes said:

But that's.. Chrome also... :|

Just because they are both based on WebKit doesn't make them identical browsers. Even Chrome and Chromium are noticeably different if you try to switch between them. I have a completely different experience with Opera than I do with Chrome, I specifically have bookmarks that will not work on Chrome for some ungodly reason.

-KuJoe

2 hours ago, yian88 said:

what the actual fuck MS?

make windows open source already you cunts, i cant stand it anymore, we have bear with MS experiments on windows and they refuse to admit they fail hard until years later after the dmg has been done

UWP is next, that garbage has to go, we need a new programming model and we need no telemetry

Let me guess GoodBytes will rage at me desperately trying to show great ms store is (not), and a couple years later when they admit store is a disaster and phase it out, then i will " I told you so" (again)....

How would make windows open source help anything? its not some magical stuff that will make it perfect.

Look at android, It is mostly maintained by google.

UWP works great and has some nice features for applications and games. the way forza horizion handles window mode and full screen is AMAZING, full screen is not garbage like every other game.

and windows store works fine, I don't see what the issue is with it.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

so what am i now going to use to watch full HD netflix? firefox and chrome are not full hd

that sucks

Just now, kilgore_T said:

so what am i now going to use to watch full HD netflix? firefox and chrome are not full hd

that sucks

Can't the windows 10 Netflix app do full HD or better, and Microsoft can implement the requirements for Netflix to their version of chromium.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, The Benjamins said:

Can't the windows 10 Netflix app do full HD or better, and Microsoft can implement the requirements for Netflix to their version of chromium.

i tried the app and it wasnt as good quality as edge, ye i guess they will do that

3 hours ago, Canada EH said:

You pay more for Chrome in the end, its Google after all.

Yeah, that was the main reason I was considering switching. But Firefox had some major performance issues on my laptop that chrome didn't have (e.g. Small stutter upon resuming a tab I hadn't used for a while, weird stutter/screen tear on videos, and a much worse profile manager which I use a lot). It worked fine on desktop but if it didn't work on my laptop I wasn't going to use it on my desktop because of tab sync stuff. And I also wasn't going to switch on mobile because after doing some research thenchrome android app uses WAYYY less ram than Firefox.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

20 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Just because they are both based on WebKit doesn't make them identical browsers. Even Chrome and Chromium are noticeably different if you try to switch between them. I have a completely different experience with Opera than I do with Chrome, I specifically have bookmarks that will not work on Chrome for some ungodly reason.

Yeeess, I agree, but you said that Edge was Chrome, and you made it sound like Opera was using something else, when it isn't anymore.

23 minutes ago, kilgore_T said:

that sucks

I am sure that it will have Microsoft's video codec included, so yes, you'll enjoy Netflix HD

And you always have the Netflix app that you can get from the Store. It recently got updated, if you haven't used it recently.

43 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

I am fairly sure the alleged power efficiency was bullshit to begin with.

Multiple independent reviewers tried to double check Microsoft's findings and were unable to replicate the results. My rule of thumb is to never trust benchmarks and the likes which are run by first parties, since they benefit from showing themselves in the best light and their competitors in the worst light.

Besides, it was a stupid test to begin with. Microsoft just played a video until the laptops' batteries ran out. Even if the tests were legitimate and trustworthy, it would just show that Edge uses less power for playing video. For all we know, it might use way more power than the other browsers for doing actual web browsing (as in, visiting websites and the like).

42 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

Dear god, no!

Without telemetry software would suck big donkey balls most of the time.

We would constantly get software that does stuff we never use and not stuff we actually want to use. Most features we take for granted would not work at all.

If you think software is bad now, you have no idea how bad it would be without telemetry stuff.

Telemetry is in no way shape or form required for making good programs. There are countless of fantastic programs out there which do not use telemetry, or at least make it optional. How do they know which features to implement and remove? Common sense and listening to feedback.

37 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Really? That sounds really weird. Got any examples of websites that work in Opera but not in Chrome?

They should behave the same so my guess is that there are some addons causing or fixing issues for you.

35 minutes ago, kilgore_T said:

that sucks

33 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Chrome on Windows not being able to play full HD in Netflix is not a limitation of chrome. Chrome supports everything that Netflix requires for full HD.

It's the (Microsoft developed) DRM which prevents Chrome from playing it in Windows. From what I've heard (although I haven't confirmed it 100%) is that the DRM does not allow third party browsers to play it, because they are labeled as untrustworthy. That's why you can play full HD Netflix in Chrome on ChromeOS but not on Windows.

Chrome is a first party browser on ChromeOS, so therefore it can play 1080p.

Chrome is a third party browser on Windows, so therefore it is not allowed (because of the DRM) to play 1080p.

Since this new browser will be a first party browser it should work with 1080p.

12 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I am sure that it will have Microsoft's video codec included, so yes, you'll enjoy Netflix HD

See above. Netflix not playing 1080p in Chrome is a DRM issue, not a codec issue.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Yeeess, I agree, but you said that Edge was Chrome, and you made it sound like Opera was using something else, when it isn't anymore.

Sorry, I meant the new browser was basically going to be Chrome. If they're going to force me to use a WebKit-based browser then I'll go with Opera.

I just hope they don't ever try to remove IE from Windows 10, I am not buying new IP cameras because Google has no faith in me.

-KuJoe

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Really? That sounds really weird. Got any examples of websites that work in Opera but not in Chrome?

They should behave the same so my guess is that there are some addons causing or fixing issues for you.

Nevermind I was wrong, now they don't work in Opera or Chrome (or Firefox either). Looks like I need to move the bookmarks over to IE if they're going to be taking Edge away from me. :(

-KuJoe