AMD now selling twice as much as Intel on mindfactory

Fasauceome

Source: Techradar

Looks like mind factory in Germany is selling double the amount of AMD CPUs as Intel.

the figures for November show that roughly speaking, AMD sold two CPUs for every single Intel model flogged

This is a welcome change of pace, I've got to admit, it's nice to watch Intel get rekt a little in some way.

This isn't the first time Ryzen sales caused a story out of mindfactory. No specifics mentioned in the article, but I read a few months ago, when Ryzen 2 came out, that their sales were doing extremely well.

Before we get too carried away, we must bear in mind that this is just one source – a single retailer – so we can hardly take it as a representation of the processor industry as a whole. That said, the upward movement in favor of AMD is certainly impressive.

It's too bad the rest of the PC market can't catch on. Intel has so much mindshare in the states and Canada, it's made itself the only CPU brand to many people. I'd like to see an AMD commercial at some point, see if the general public can hear about the options.

So what was the bestselling processor overall last month? The Ryzen 2nd Generation(Pinnacle Ridge) chips led the pack, unsurprisingly, with the Ryzen R5 2600 in pole position, followed by the Ryzen R7 2700X and R5 2600X in second and third place respectively.

Intel’s Core i7 8700K has been knocked back into fourth place in terms of overall sales for November.

Big oof

Edit: as @The Benjamins  informed me, the real source

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I think we will find a huge change in mindshare come Zen 2. AMD has made huge strides in Enterprise market share as well as the consumer market. I have not been more excited for a CPU launch in a long time then when Zen 2 is finally released.

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Looks like mind factory in Germany is selling double the amount of AMD CPUs as Intel.

No surprise tbh, looking at Intel's CPU pricing

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 minute ago, r2724r16 said:

And the fact Intel just cant get them out fast enough... 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

hey can we stop using mindfactory figures to say amd > intel in sales

it's been like that for fucking ages

let's look at the big picture rather than one german retailer

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Potential rise of a new empire? 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

welcomesurprise.jpg.cfe0de56cf52f6ea8ec84a75c92128f6.jpg

Whether this means anything or not, not that big of a deal to me. Because the real stuff starts when Ryzen 3/Zen 2 launches next year. :D

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

9 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Source: Techradar

This is a welcome change of pace, I've got to admit, it's nice to watch Intel get rekt a little in some way.

This isn't the first time Ryzen sales caused a story out of mindfactory. No specifics mentioned in the article, but I read a few months ago, when Ryzen 2 came out, that their sales were doing extremely well.

It's too bad the rest of the PC market can't catch on. Intel has so much mindshare in the states and Canada, it's made itself the only CPU brand to many people. I'd like to see an AMD commercial at some point, see if there general public can hear about the options.

Big oof

You should link the real true source.

https://imgur.com/a/oJl4hzi

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 minute ago, handymanshandle said:

I brought that up in the article. I specifically quoted the part that said it's the only retailer with these figures, and said I wished these figures were more common.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

You should link the real true source.

https://imgur.com/a/oJl4hzi

Thanks, I'll add that

Primary PC:

Another thing that will help AMD is if high FPS rates weren't so depending on Single Thread performance. If we can spread out the draw calls across more cores then the higher frequencies will lose their importance in games. That is why Intel is still the gaming king atm.

If we make it so that total compute power is king then AMD's strategy of more cores for a lesser price will be a brainless choice. According to AMD (take with grain of salt) the Zen2 stuff will close the IPC gap and bring up the core count again while also increasing the frequency (I am guessing 4.6-4.7).

2 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Another thing that will help AMD is if high FPS rates weren't so depending on Single Thread performance. If we can spread out the draw calls across more cores then the higher frequencies will lose their importance in games. That is why Intel is still the gaming king atm.

If we make it so that total compute power is king then AMD's strategy of more cores for a lesser price will be a brainless choice. According to AMD (take with grain of salt) the Zen2 stuff will close the IPC gap and bring up the core count again while also increasing the frequency (I am guessing 4.6-4.7).

IPC isn't near as much of a problem for AMD compared to clock speeds, that's AMD's big problem right now tbh. I mean pretty much the best Ryzen 2nd gen can do is 4.2ghz while the best Intel can do is around 5.2ghz, it's a pretty big gap. My bet is that AMD will improve clockspeed by around 10% and IPC also around 10%, which should hopefully close the single threaded gap. Hopefully.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Yep basically it seems that now in most parts of the world AMD is doing very well in the desktop enthusiast and gaming and productivity markets. The performance segments.

Intel is still able to dominate the sales in the budget parts and the laptops. In terms of general consumer penetration one of the things AMD will want out of Zen2 and Zen3 is start to also do great in laptops. They have the tech to do it because APUs with Zen2 CPU cores and Navi graphics should be great. But they need to work closely with their partners to make sure the end products are great in every way including stuff that is not related to them such as display quality and memory etc. Intel has such tight relationships with the laptop makers often they can exert influence to compromise products with AMD parts.

2 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

IPC isn't near as much of a problem for AMD compared to clock speeds, that's AMD's big problem right now tbh. I mean pretty much the best Ryzen 2nd gen can do is 4.2ghz while the best Intel can do is around 5.2ghz, it's a pretty big gap. My bet is that AMD will improve clockspeed by around 10% and IPC also around 10%, which should hopefully close the single threaded gap. Hopefully.

My point is that clock speeds wouldn't be an issue if DX was multi-threaded properly. It still relies heavily on single thread performance. I mean lets be realistic unless we find a new process and material for chips that is just amazing we are reaching the limits of clock speeds. When intel gets the Die shrink finally finished then maybe their new process can hit 5.5+ ghz, but if we have proper multi-threading in DX then it wouldn't matter as the load would be spread amongst cores. This would give more value to having a 12 core cpu vs an 8 core cpu in gaming.

If you want to see Intel be forced to lower prices and offer more cores... then that is what it is going to take. The Hz advantage will still matter, but only if they are being competitive with the amount of cores.

19 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Well re-sellers jacking up prices 15% also doesnt help

2 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

My point is that clock speeds wouldn't be an issue if DX was multi-threaded properly. It still relies heavily on single thread performance. I mean lets be realistic unless we find a new process and material for chips that is just amazing we are reaching the limits of clock speeds. When intel gets the Die shrink finally finished then maybe their new process can hit 5.5+ ghz, but if we have proper multi-threading in DX then it wouldn't matter as the load would be spread amongst cores. This would give more value to having a 12 core cpu vs an 8 core cpu in gaming.

If you want to see Intel be forced to lower prices and offer more cores... then that is what it is going to take. The Hz advantage will still matter, but only if they are being competitive with the amount of cores.

Oh I definitely agree with you there. I'm just talking about what AMD can do to better their situation right now.

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Well re-sellers jacking up prices 15% also doesnt help

Everyone gotta make money

Primary PC:

i'm seriously considering AMD... i've always been an intel person but maybe that will change when 3rd gen ryzen gets released... 

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

i'm seriously considering AMD... i've always been an intel person but maybe that will change when 3rd gen ryzen gets released... 

AMD is value king. Don't be too sentimental with Intel, even if you hear that little jingle inside your head, just like I do. It haunts me.

Primary PC:

41 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

While clocks matter, as we've found out, a lot of game engines are really inefficient with their draw calls and just spam the hell out of the I/O system. We see this with some games where getting enough clocks and tight enough memory timings that the 1% lows just skyrocket as a result. 

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

AMD is value king. Don't be too sentimental with Intel, even if you hear that little jingle inside your head, just like I do. It haunts me.

well i've always had this thing in my head where i thought intel systems were more stable than amd systems. the messy ryzen launch kinda confirmed that even more for me. 

i guess it's ok now but i've always seen amd systems as systems i can't fully depend on... maybe i've just got to try ryzen and see if it works out.... that's why i'm considering it. 

She/Her

7 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

Buy what makes the most sense for your Use Case, Value and Utility. That's always what it has been about. AMD always brings a lot of value, though in the Bulldozer era, they could only do that by radically underpricing their parts.

5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I had to deal headlong with Intel's business practices. The Core design is brilliant, but I could do without the rest of the company.

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

well i've always had this thing in my head where i thought intel systems were more stable than amd systems. the messy ryzen launch kinda confirmed that even more for me. 

i guess it's ok now but i've always seen amd systems as systems i can't fully depend on... maybe i've just got to try ryzen and see if it works out.... that's why i'm considering it. 

Probably just when you got into computers, very specifically. If you got in at a Good Intel/Bad AMD period, you'd have that view. If you got in during a Bad Intel/Good AMD period, you're likely to have a different view. That's the power of Branding. 

1 hour ago, handymanshandle said:

Not only that, but if my assumption after reading the article is correct, this is only CPU sales. If Intel sells half the product as AMD in a niche market, but outsells them dramatically in the larger markets, then AMD just won a niche market.

Which doesn't really mean much. Keltec owns a niche market. They're not dethroning Colt any time soon.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.