Everyone Was Right About Tesla

Canada EH

You really don't have to like Tesla or their cars. It's not like they're having trouble selling them. Tesla is notable for one important reason: They made the electric car sexy and increasingly mainstream. Other manufacturers only now seem to finally be getting their act together in response. I'm personally not a huge fan of air and noise pollution and look forward to seeing it decline in coming decades.

Of course, I'm not defending any unnecessarily risky behaviour regarding investors' money. But hopefully Musk and Tesla will be a bit more stable going forward.

If you want good hardware recommendations, please tell us how you intend to use the hardware. There's rarely a single correct answer.

58 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

If you think a Tesla is budget quality you should see my Peugeot. 

I mean, it's a Peugeot. 

Modern Peugeots are pretty crap 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, D13H4RD said:

I mean, it's a Peugeot. 

Modern Peugeots are pretty crap 

To be fair to PSA, GMs are much worse. 

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

To be fair to PSA, GMs are much worse. 

Specifically GM's lower end range, specifically their now-legendary crappy plastics. 

I have a real soft spot for the Chevrolet Performance line, however 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Specifically GM's lower end range, specifically their now-legendary crappy plastics. 

I have a real soft spot for the Chevrolet Performance line, however 

Thats great to hear, because the Chevrolet has many soft spots too. (Unless its the SS, which is lovely because its a Holden).

9 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

(Unless its the SS, which is lovely because its a Holden).

HSV GTS-R (not exactly what the SS is based on) 

Many SS owners actually debadged theirs and stuck on the Holden badge as a replacement. 

HSV GTS-R (not exactly what the SS is based on) 

Many SS owners actually debadged theirs and stuck on the Holden badge as a replacement. 

I especially love the Maloo. Best car in the world IMO. Like an SS but even more Australian. A V8 ute. 

6 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I especially love the Maloo. Best car in the world IMO. Like an SS but even more Australian. A V8 ute. 

SmartSelect_20181127-160432_Google.jpg

I'm sure "Telsa" motors is bad.

Tesla motors, hm, not so much. Someone's to hate progress for the sake of looking "cool".

Thanks for the news.

the apple of cars, not very good products, overpriced, locked repairs. still a crazy bunch of unreasonable fans willing to buy their shit.

8 hours ago, BuckGup said:

As GM lays of 14,000 people

GM is the butt of the joke at this point though

8 hours ago, ATFink said:

How is Tesla screwing these issues up? They don't seem overpriced and I'm not aware of an ongoing software catastrophe.

They certainly aren't cheap... and they aren't as luxurious as you might expect from 80k+ cars. As for the software, they are significantly behind the likes of waymo when it comes to autonomous driving.

8 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

GM like other car manufacture are unable to manufacture an electric car that brings anything but marginal profit. This is not helped with the fact that most consumers in US and Canada are buying big utility vehicles instead of sedans.

Tesla is the only car manufacture that manage to bring up to 30% profit on each Model 3 made. These number are only seen in gasoline powered engines cars.

This is also why so many investors are throwing money at the company. On top of that, it is a powerful car, long battery life, not a cheap interior, and safest vehicle on the road.

Yes, there is a lot for the company to improve to increase quality control, and optimize things to either make things even better (interior, for example), or cut the price of the car.

I heard VW and FCA will be whipping out their affordable electric offerings soonish. I guess it's just a matter of time until the big names figure out how to mass produce them with a decent profit.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'm just wondering how hard it is to be wrong about the financials of a publicly traded company seeing as they have to openly disclose their audits every year.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 hours ago, The_Stig said:

I agree that Teslas are near impossible to repair like Apple products, but you accuse them of poor build quality when all of them have 5 star safety ratings? 

Well the huge gap(between the backrest and the plastic on the side) on the backside of the seat tells otherwise...

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I'm just wondering how hard it is to be wrong about the financials of a publicly traded company seeing as they have to openly disclose their audits every year.

Well it explains why they wanted to go private months ago. But being public has its advantages I suppose.

18 minutes ago, asus killer said:

not very good products

Well it all depends on what you are looking, the forest or the tree's?

Their individual components are great, battery packs are top of their class, motors are AAAAA1++++++, circuitry the same. Their inverters are literally epoxied as one piece, pcb board after pcb board, all one piece. Is that good or bad? In some respects its good if nothing breaks or smokes. Engineered to fail so you have to buy $5000 part instead of $5 part, most likely so, judging by their other business aspects of shutting shade tree mechanics out of the loop.

Their business model sucks!

13 minutes ago, mr moose said:

google "enron"

3 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Well it all depends on what you are looking, the forest or the tree's?

Their individual components are great, battery packs are top of their class, motors are AAAAA1++++++, circuitry the same. Their inverters are literally epoxied as one piece, pcb board after pcb board, all one piece. Is that good or bad? In some respects its good if nothing breaks or smokes. Engineered to fail so you have to buy $5000 part instead of $5 part, most likely so, judging by their other business aspects of shutting shade tree mechanics out of the loop.

Their business model sucks!

a product shouldn't work like that, i really don't care about the separate items, but the final product as a package, warranty or reparability included for example. You see that here in the forum, people choosing a video card based on how good rma process is.

Just now, asus killer said:

google "enron"

why?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

if you done it you wouldn't be asking why.

If you think it has something to do with my comments then I'm all ears (or eyes in the case of a text based medium). 

27 minutes ago, mr moose said:

If you think it has something to do with my comments then I'm all ears (or eyes in the case of a text based medium). 

If i didnt think it i wouldnt have said so. It answers your question or doubt like i said.

If i didnt think it i wouldnt have said so. It answers your question or doubt like i said.

no it doesn't, telling me to google a defunct crooked business from 18 years ago doesn't mean jack shit. Explain yourself.

It's funny how people gloat against Tesla ignoring they came to market literally out of nowhere and tried to rival brands that have been around for almost a century. Anyone not expecting a bumpy ride had to be an ignorant fool. But Tesla is still around and even though I don't understand some of their design and business decisions (like not going for the masses where money is, instead they are trying to rival luxury brands), they'll understand and adjust soon enough. They missed the opportunity to become a first electric car maker to reach the masses and work from there. But they missed that opportunity because now pretty much all major car makers like Nissan, Hyundai, Renault, VW etc have them.

29 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

It's funny how people gloat against Tesla ignoring they came to market literally out of nowhere and tried to rival brands that have been around for almost a century. Anyone not expecting a bumpy ride had to be an ignorant fool. But Tesla is still around and even though I don't understand some of their design and business decisions (like not going for the masses where money is, instead they are trying to rival luxury brands), they'll understand and adjust soon enough. They missed the opportunity to become a first electric car maker to reach the masses and work from there. But they missed that opportunity because now pretty much all major car makers like Nissan, Hyundai, Renault, VW etc have them.

I think the point is that Tesla played a big role in helping EVs be adopted by more than just a small niche alongside making their own products seem "hip" and "cool". 

Personally, not big on EVs yet but it's hard to ignore the effects since many major automotive manufacturers have EVs.