Lab Grown Meat gets closer to see consumer plates

The Benjamins
1 hour ago, patriciadiaz1919 said:

We need to study food culture from Japan people as also Japanese government help they force every one healthy organic food as you cant abuse easy cheap addict people mind like America fast food super size or everything haves sugar or salt even the vegetables also including stores.

Its very true that Japanese people(who eat traditionally!) eat a lot of nutrient dense foods, healthy seafoods with good fats, fermented foods, almost no beef or unhealthy meats, almost no wheat. Rice is the primary starch traditionally, so they dont get the negative effects of a high gluten diet. They tend to eat lower calorie foods, with lots of antioxidants, probiotic bacteria, and caloric restriction has been proven to increase lifespan.

They also dont eat the kind of garbage most of the rest of the developed world does, which is filled with toxic additives and toxic shit like canola, HFCS, RBGH, antibiotics, unsafe GMOs. They actually have strict laws regarding GMOs in Japan and last time i checked they had no commercial farming of GMOs either and imported GMO containing foods have to be labeled. Meanwhile they try pass laws to ban labeling of GMOs in the USA so its impossible to know what youre getting.

And until recently they didnt use much sewage as fertilizer(called biosolids in the USA), but western influences like that and shitty fast food are spreading to Japan too.

What if it tastes better? Can it beat the meat?

On 11/25/2018 at 12:20 PM, dalekphalm said:

I don't think anyone is forcing you to eat lab grown meat, with a gun to your head. They're just trying to understand why you feel the way you do.

I'm just confused as to how you can not care for it, when you've never tried it.

It's called an opinion.  @Crunchy Dragon doesn't have to justify an opinion.  No one does, that's why it's an opinion.

1 minute ago, Jito463 said:

It's called an opinion.  @Crunchy Dragon doesn't have to justify an opinion.  No one does, that's why it's an opinion.

Sure. But that doesn't stop people from asking why. Putting out an opinion without reasoning or justification behind it is asking for that opinion to be analyzed, dissected, and questioned.

It's nature of the public discourse that is a web forum. If he didn't want people to comment on his opinion, posting it in a public forum maybe isn't the best idea then.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

here is my concern. a chemical PHD i know told a story. One of her professor tried to reproduce wine by pure chemicals. He used spectrometer to identify every element in the wine and their concentration. The liquid produced have the exact same spectral performance, but that liquid does not taste the same at all.

Man made meat is really good, since it reduce carbon footprint of meat as well as the animal abuse involved in the current production. But artificial food is dangerous and need way tighter regulation and a very long time to exam in order to make ppl believe they are safe.

Thinking about this a little more, if its mass producible it will certainly benefit the US most. Hear a lot of horror stories surrounding animal treatment there. People forget we are guests on this planet and need to leave it the way we left it (as a race, I wouldn't want to leave it as it was in 1996). The carbon emissions from cows is quite prevalent and often unavoidable with farming cattle. This should hopefully down regulate those emissions. 

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Sure. But that doesn't stop people from asking why. Putting out an opinion without reasoning or justification behind it is asking for that opinion to be analyzed, dissected, and questioned.

It's nature of the public discourse that is a web forum. If he didn't want people to comment on his opinion, posting it in a public forum maybe isn't the best idea then.

The only thing I would add is that some people can over analyse an opinion and miss the basics of the point completely.  It can be very frustrating when a generalization is true, but because the finer points can be argued infinitely people feel the need to argue them beyond the scope of the original intention.  Picking out one or two important conditions or qualifications is fine, but the pages of irrelevance is not.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

11 hours ago, Devin92 said:

But artificial food is dangerous and need way tighter regulation and a very long time to exam in order to make ppl believe they are safe.

Things like GMO crops are some of the most heavily regulated and tested foods we have.

I am sure that this lab grown meat will be extensively tested before it starts appearing in supermarkets around the world. It will go through far more testing than the meat we currently eat has been through.

The sooner the meat farming industry can die the better, industrialised raising and then killing of animals has always felt off to me. Plus it's absolutely wrecking the planet, both directly and indirectly.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

10 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Things like GMO crops are some of the most heavily regulated and tested foods we have.

I am sure that this lab grown meat will be extensively tested before it starts appearing in supermarkets around the world. It will go through far more testing than the meat we currently eat has been through.

You mean the internal safety reviews done by people working for the GMO company? The ones the FDA, which has a revolving door to Monsanto, says "im sure theyre thorough enough" while lining their pockets with billions of dollars.

Just like all those approved drugs that are recalled after a bunch of people die.

On 11/25/2018 at 10:30 PM, patriciadiaz1919 said:

the thing we really need to educate people and kids meat is bad in huge amount as we can eat fish

So, instead of eating meat, we should eat meat.

Got it.

Spoiler

Fish is also meat.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

14 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

You mean the internal safety reviews done by people working for the GMO company? The ones the FDA, which has a revolving door to Monsanto, says "im sure theyre thorough enough" while lining their pockets with billions of dollars.

Just like all those approved drugs that are recalled after a bunch of people die.

Yes, I mean those.

I truly believe that out of all the regulatory bodies in the world (remember, there are more countries than the US), some will do proper testing and not let dangerous food go out to the market. Maybe you believe all people who work in regulatory bodies are corrupt, but I don't.

And since I suspect that you will now pull up some example of where some food product has retroactively been banned, please bear in mind that sometimes future studies disproves what we believed to be true in the present. That does not mean it's a conspiracy where people knew about it but decided that the money was worth some people dying. It just means that sometimes we make the incorrect judgement (or in some cases, are retroactively overly cautious).

I also believe that it is in the best interest of the people creating this to make it safe.

Like I said earlier, this meat will most likely be more strictly and heavily regulated than regular meat too. All things like GMO crops has so far been more regulated and undergone more testing, so I don't see that changing anytime soon. Considering how much medicine and other chemicals gets injected into your regular meat (things like very large amounts of antibiotics), I don't see why you'd trust regular meat over this.

In the long run it is much more realistic that you will all be eating grasshoppers, mealworms and seaweed.. Don't get me wrong, I think its exiting that you can grow stuff like this in a lab, not that I want to put my mouth near it, but its exiting. Our main problem however is not food, pollution, etc. but rather the fact that we have so much overpopulation on Earth that we will never really survive anyway no matter what we do, unless ofc we suddenly skrink alot in population.

1 hour ago, Citadelen said:

The sooner the meat farming industry can die the better, industrialised raising and then killing of animals has always felt off to me. Plus it's absolutely wrecking the planet, both directly and indirectly.

So is growing vegetables and fruit (Wrecking the planet that is).. The main problem is as I said above in the other comment overpopulation

3 minutes ago, Sahl said:

In the long run it is much more realistic that you will all be eating grasshoppers, mealworms and seaweed.. Don't get me wrong, I think its exiting that you can grow stuff like this in a lab, not that I want to put my mouth near it, but its exiting. Our main problem however is not food, pollution, etc. but rather the fact that we have so much overpopulation on Earth that we will never really survive anyway no matter what we do, unless ofc we suddenly skrink alot in population.

People don't like to talk about over population, the answers scare people.

Do we restrict birth rates, save less lives, remove statistically unwanted people.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

i sure hope this works and its not yet another scam, food is so bad where i live  everything is low quality meat and low quantity meat products filled with additives its like 15-40% meat of questionable source and the rest is fat and chemicals, soy modified shit 

if this is safe genetically and has good protein low fat meat  its a dream only if they can mass produce it i would be an early adopter

1 minute ago, yian88 said:

i sure hope this works and its not yet another scam, food is so bad where i live  everything is low quality meat and low quantity meat products filled with additives its like 15-40% meat of questionable source and the rest is fat and chemicals, soy modified shit 

if this is safe genetically and has good protein low fat meat  its a dream only if they can mass produce it i would be an early adopter

Producing food like this is likely to be the key to sustainably healthy living for everyone on the planet.   As much as I enjoy a good grass fed steak from the local, the reality is framing (both crops and cattle) uses land that needs to be set aside for greener living.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 minutes ago, yian88 said:

Where is that so i can make sure i add it to my list of places to avoid food from?

6 hours ago, yian88 said:

That all depends on the people making it, just like today. Early on it's likely to be very high quality though.

32 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Things like good looking beef or chicken you may find on the farmers market or super market have often undergone a process called "plumping" too. It's when meat is injected with things like seaweed extract, stock or other liquids to plump it up, make it juicier, make it look nicer and weigh more (salt water with some binding agents inside it is hell of a lot cheaper than actual meat to produce).

I have heard people mention that before, most of them in US. But I personally start to question if it's actually true, because I know that in at least my country, it isn't.

It's required to mark in a good way if it is more than 5% of anything like water in it. And the meat I have seen it's not marked, and have been tested to be 5% or less.

It's an EU regulations but the different countries might not enforce it as good, I don't know. US might not have that regulation, I don't know.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

this makes me think of a bit in John Uri Lloyd's book Etidorhpa

“ Can you not see that food is not matter? The material part of bread is carbon, water, gas and earth; the material part of fat is charcoal and gas; the material part of flesh is water and gas, the material part of fruits is mostly water with a little charcoal and gas. The material constituents of all foods are plentiful, they abound everywhere, and yet amid the unlimited, unorganized materials that go to form foods man would starve.

Give a healthy man a diet of charcoal, water, lime salts, and air; say to him ‘ Bread contains no other substance, here is bread, the material food of man, live on this food,’ and yet the man, if he eat of these, will die with his stomach distended. So with all other foods; give man the unorganized material constituents of food in unlimited amounts, and starvation results. No! Matter is not food, but a carrier of food.”

“ What is food? “

“ Sunshine. The grain of wheat is a food by virtue of the sunshine fixed within it. The flesh of animals, the food of living creatures, are simply carriers of sunshine energy. Break out the sunshine and you destroy the food, although the material remains. The growing plant locks the sunshine in its cells, and the living animal takes it out again.

“ The farmer plants a seed in the soil, the sunshine sprouts it, nourishes the growing plant, and during the season locks itself to and within its tissues, binding the otherwise dead materials of that tissue together into an organized structure. Animals eat these structures, break them from higher to lower compounds, and in doing so live on the stored up sunshine and then excrete the worthless material side of the food. The farmer spreads these excluded substances over the earth again to once more take up the sunshine in the growing plant organization, but not until it does once more lock in its cells the energy of sunshine can it be a food for that animal.

“ And locked in each molecule of water there is a mine of sunshine. Liberate suddenly the sun energy from the gases of the ocean held in subjection thereby, and the Earth would disappear in an explosion that would reverberate throught the universe. The water that you truly claim to be necessary to the life of man, is itself water by the grace of this same sun, for without its heat water would be ice, dry as dust. ‘Tis the sun that gives life and motion to creatures animate and substances inanimate; he who doubts distrusts his Creator.

37 minutes ago, Mihle said:

I have heard people mention that before, most of them in US. But I personally start to question if it's actually true, because I know that in at least my country, it isn't.

It's required to mark in a good way if it is more than 5% of anything like water in it. And the meat I have seen it's not marked, and have been tested to be 5% or less.

It's an EU regulations but the different countries might not enforce it as good, I don't know. US might not have that regulation, I don't know.

The US has a strong position on regulation, or lack of, so what we would commonly think or expect might not be the case over there. I know of one good example, those super concentrated Red Bull Energy Shots in those small cans. Those are illegal here because they contain above the known safe concentration and total amount of caffeine that should be in a food item. They tried to sell them here as a dietary supplement but that got shut down rather quickly.

Another thing I have observed is the Americans I know when they first get here all complain about our meat, how small the steaks are in the supermarket. Problem is what we have is the largest you can naturally get through normal butchery methods, they also say our meat is a bit tougher and I do contribute a bit of that to our beef industry all being grass feed not grain feed along with plumping absolutely not being a thing here. The only meats that should be subjected to that kind of things like corned beef where it's supposed to be.