Lab Grown Meat gets closer to see consumer plates

The Benjamins
1 hour ago, Undated said:

Ignoring everything else (as in, not saying other arguments are false or true and only focusing on this argument), I don’t get the “natural” argument. What exactly is natural?  When we talk about something being natural should we be talking about all things that have had human influences? Is that banana or corn natural if it has been selectively bred by humans? If humans are natural then wouldn’t everything we do and make be natural? The word natural seems very fluid. If it passes the requirements to be meat then I feel it is meat. It being natural or not should not affect it. It’s like saying if a cell divides outside of its usual environment it should not be considered real. 

I’m not in any way saying we shouldn’t be cautious, I’m sure problems will be caused because of lab grown meat, and if you don’t want to eat lab grown meat it’s fine but people seem to be treating this like there is no time to transition from our current ways to the future (apologies if I’m wrong) and not even willing to give it a chance.

Having something done naturally is very much a justifiable reason. The process of creating lab grown meat is not natural and is unknown if the results are safe to eat. I personally won't eat it until long after it becomes main stream at best. 

6 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Having something done naturally is very much a justifiable reason. The process of creating lab grown meat is not natural and is unknown if the results are safe to eat. I personally won't eat it until long after it becomes main stream at best. 

I disagree. Just saying something is not natural and thus should not be eaten doesn’t seem like a good way to go about things, if you specify more about what you mean as not natural then that would help. Otherwise, I’ll say that our current way of getting meat is unnatural. I’m not saying it’s a good idea to eat it with no precaution, but I do not believe it is okay to absolutely refuse to eat something because it is unconventional and nothing more. If we went by that logic then vaccines shouldn’t be used, and we would have to take a look by all plants influenced by people because they didn’t “naturally” develop. 

We we need to try things out in order to improve, if we didn’t we probably would have died out a long time ago. As I said before, I’m talking about people who are absolutely unwilling to try something out just because it was made differently and no other reason.

1 minute ago, Undated said:

I disagree. Just saying something is not natural and thus should not be eaten doesn’t seem like a good way to go about things, if you specify more about what you mean as not natural then that would help. Otherwise, I’ll say that our current way of getting meat is unnatural. I’m not saying it’s a good idea to eat it with no precaution, but I do not believe it is okay to absolutely refuse to eat something because it is unconventional and nothing more. If we went by that logic then vaccines shouldn’t be used, and we would have to take a look by all plants influenced by people because they didn’t “naturally” develop. 

We we need to try things out in order to improve, if we didn’t we probably would have died out a long time ago. As I said before, I’m talking about people who are absolutely unwilling to try something out just because it was made differently and no other reason.

I can 100% guarantee I would not have gotten vaccinated when they first started doing it and honestly when they did there was risks involved. Again I am not going to eat something that is lab grown because I don't want to risk any unknown side effects. If you don't agree with my justification that is fine but to say that I don't have one is just asine. There are plenty of times in history where so called advancements have had unforseen side effects. 

30 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I can 100% guarantee I would not have gotten vaccinated when they first started doing it and honestly when they did there was risks involved. Again I am not going to eat something that is lab grown because I don't want to risk any unknown side effects. If you don't agree with my justification that is fine but to say that I don't have one is just asine. There are plenty of times in history where so called advancements have had unforseen side effects. 

No no, I do agree it is smart to see how something turns out but my point is that someone should not just refuse a product because it is not natural.

I'm personally all for this. The amount of resources saved is good no matter how you look at it. I just wonder, have they managed to find a way to grow these meats while switching away from the fetal bovine serum they've used so far? That has been the biggest thing holding them back. 

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

On 11/22/2018 at 1:31 AM, ARikozuM said:

Everyone in the STEM fields has and will be a “professional” Googler.  It’s what you’re required to be able to do. If you need to find an answer or supporting evidence, you go to the library and Google. You don’t just run an experiment for black holes with cheddar cheese and an eraser. You need to get basic background on a subject without complete reliance on yourself.

That's not what I meant.

On 11/22/2018 at 2:31 AM, Jito463 said:

The irony would be funny, if you weren't so oblivious to it.

That's great.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

It would be better just to make a vegetable "meat" product.

Tofu?

26 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

It would be better just to make a vegetable "meat" product.

20 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Tofu?

Already in existence. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textured_vegetable_protein 

It tastes fine but by no mean does it replicate the taste or texture of real meat

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

On 11/21/2018 at 3:58 PM, leadeater said:

Proven before publication or proven after? The first should be impossible.

I agree that peer review holds value in the scientific community, I stand that peer review alone shouldn’t be the sole basis to verify or debunk a theory or an experiment. Being able to replicate an experiment and have it corroborated multiple times is what verifies or debunks a theory or hypothesis together with considering presence of logical fallacies.  

2 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

I agree that peer review holds value in the scientific community, I stand that peer review alone shouldn’t be the sole basis to verify or debunk a theory or an experiment. Being able to replicate an experiment and have it corroborated multiple times is what verifies or debunks a theory or hypothesis together with considering presence of logical fallacies.  

Yep, that's what get things retracted from journals like Nature. It happens, it's not to common but also not that uncommon when you hope that what does get published is correct.

Some are pretty good at listing retractions, https://www.nature.com/nature/articles?type=retraction

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Reminds me of that slogan "I can't believe it's not meat", I can totally believe it's not ?

I tasted one because there’s a vegan store two blocks away from me and health buffs are buying it but they’re doing it all wrong. What sucks is that some brands add MSG to it just to enhance flavor not because MSG is dangerous but it gives off that nasty overseasoned aftertaste. 

The two best sources of protein aren’t even animal meat or soy but whole milk and egg whites as they contain all essential amino acids.!

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yep, that's what get things retracted from journals like Nature. It happens, it's not to common but also not that uncommon when you hope that what does get published is correct.

Some are pretty good at listing retractions, https://www.nature.com/nature/articles?type=retraction

A reminder not to publish a paper on Nature. 

11 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

If someone has invented vegan Poutine, I bet it’ll taste awful. 

On 11/19/2018 at 12:14 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

Farming is more natural than producing farmed products in a lab. Humanity has been farming just a little longer than we've existed

This is not true at all.

Agriculture has really only been around for ~10,000 years or so. "Modern Humanity" - meaning: Homo Sapiens - have been around for ~200,000 years.

So that means we've only been farming for 5% of our existence. Before that, most of humanity survived via Hunter/Gatherer type lifestyles.

I don't mock people I disagree with. I tend to only go that route with the people that constantly try to force their opinions down my throat. If you disagree with me, that's perfectly fine. I couldn't care less. But when you try to force me to live your way and have the same opinions as you, then we begin to have problems.

I don't think anyone is forcing you to eat lab grown meat, with a gun to your head. They're just trying to understand why you feel the way you do.

It's basically that.

I don't care for lab-grown meat personally.

I'm just confused as to how you can not care for it, when you've never tried it.

I love meat. I love steak and fresh beef, and all the things that go with it. But I'll give the lab grown meat a try.

The benefit of lab grown meat is that it can take over for those who don't care, and it can allow farming to continue on a smaller, less environmentally impacting scale.

We're not talking about banning real meat.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 hours ago, Canada EH said:

And people would buy it!

How many, who knows!

?

Ever had a veggie burger from Hillstone or Houston's?

1 hour ago, Amazonsucks said:

Ever had a veggie burger from Hillstone or Houston's?

Never had, and most likely never will.

But I would try it if it was offered for free to me, but I'd need a napkin ready just in case.

20 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Never had, and most likely never will.

But I would try it if it was offered for free to me, but I'd need a napkin ready just in case.

Well its a $15 burger and it tastes better to me than most meat burgers, though i do like a good turkey burger too.

3 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Well its a $15 burger and it tastes better to me than most meat burgers, though i do like a good turkey burger too.

The best burgers are Sirloin and Ribeye burgers, on the BBQ with a slightly toasted bun and small amount of bbq sauce and a bit more of mustard and a XXL jug of ice cold tap beer with one glass, optional, I've been known to swagger drinking straight outta the jug ;) while the women like their fancy dancy Metropolitan drinks.

Jalapeno Jack cheese is optional.

Now dont get me wrong, I did the Pineapple burg from Fat Burger but minimum per person cost is $20 for a combo. I've also tried a Montreal Smoked meat burger, and the Avacado burger which was a little heavy for me. Sweet Patatoe Fries is a must with slightly hot mayo/hot sauce dip.

the thing we really need to educate people and kids meat is bad in huge amount as we can eat fish vegetable fruit can be the whole lunch then a dessert juicy steak or reward treat and try to moderate our food?

20 minutes ago, patriciadiaz1919 said:

the thing we really need to educate people and kids meat is bad in huge amount as we can eat fish vegetable fruit can be the whole lunch then a dessert juicy steak or reward treat and try to moderate our food?

I believe diets are more complex then everyone should eat 1 way.

jonathan peterson has stated that his health has massively improved from a meat and greens diet, he started the diet based on his daughter having major health and depression improvements with that diet. Which is why I feel diets should be catered to the person, versus a blanket statement.

But I agree that we should focus more on educating the public of better diets, its effects, and tasty ways to stay within a healthy diet.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

We need to study food culture from Japan people as also Japanese government help they force every one healthy organic food as you cant abuse easy cheap addict people mind like America fast food super size or everything haves sugar or salt even the vegetables also including stores.