Intel's new microcode update forbids benchmark comparisons

exetras
2 minutes ago, KendoSapion said:

If you haven't noticed there are a LOT of nvidia fans claiming to be jumping ship, it's mostly just overreaction to the press conference but people are still very sketched out with the new RTX cards

that is nothing new

not even close to same shit at all, nvidia is supposedly offering the performance 2x the power

this is possibly removing performance and you must shut your mouth about it

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

You sound as if this is a life or death situation

This kind of behaviour from any company is completely unacceptable.

Consumers deserve to know the truth and nothing less than the whole truth. Censoring people because of Intel's shortcomings is not acceptable.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, KendoSapion said:

If you haven't noticed there are a LOT of nvidia fans claiming to be jumping ship, it's mostly just overreaction to the press conference but people are still very sketched out with the new RTX cards

Yes this is why you can't currently buy a 2080ti from their site. Because all of them jumped ship.

Intel is one thing but you must be insane to think that AMD is happy with NVIDIA's situation from last couple of days.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

There's no way this is legal. However, if somehow they manage to gag the press on this and I don't get any valid comparison to go on, I will assume this update cuts performance in half and will tell that to everyone who asks.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

This kind of behaviour from any company is completely unacceptable.

Consumers deserve to know the truth and nothing less than the whole truth. Censoring people because of Intel's shortcomings is not acceptable.

Its just limiting benchmarks which are point less. Renders, gaming, compiling are all better test anyway. 

Again such a life or death, "Bruh, ma rights" type of uproar over this. 

6 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Its just limiting benchmarks which are point less. Renders, gaming, compiling are all better test anyway. 

consumers have the right to know their products and benchmarks help pinpoint strengths and weakenesses for a consumers workload needs

7 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I am no lawyer so I won't even pretend to know the full lengths of what this legal document means, but the way I read it it seems like you won't be allowed to make comparisons. That would include for example rendering something with and without the patch, and the comparing the results.

they could literally say 10 million dollar fines and there will still be benchmarks, especially from chinese sites, China gives no fucks

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

4 minutes ago, pas008 said:

consumers have the right to know their products and benchmarks help pinpoint strengths and weakenesses for a consumers workload needs

Again as I said Renders, gaming, compiling are all better test anyway. Real world performance results. 

But 

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I am no lawyer so I won't even pretend to know the full lengths of what this legal document means, but the way I read it it seems like you won't be allowed to make comparisons. That would include for example rendering something with and without the patch, and the comparing the results.

I cant see them enforcing this or how they even would. 

25 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Yeah, those stupid sheep screaming about their rights. Intel is right! Why should WE have the right to compare products? What did we do to deserve such a right? From now on, we should all only trust AMD's, Intel's and Nvidia's benchmarks! Independent bench markers were probably all liars anyway. I don't understand at all how anyone could be mad about this move from intel, it's just another bandwagon of hate, another lynch mob.

Anyways, yeah there's no way Intel can enforce this, but that doesn't mean we should be happy about this.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Again as I said Renders, gaming, compiling are all better test anyway. Real world performance results. 

But 

I cant see them enforcing this or how they even would. 

benchmarks simulate those

but yes I cant see them forcing it,

its just an attempt at restricting info all at once but backfired already

EULA's are not laws. Sounds like ignorable BS coming from Intel.

EU highest court says software licence terms can be ignored

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

53 minutes ago, Eroda said:

they could literally say 10 million dollar fines and there will still be benchmarks, especially from chinese sites, China gives no fucks

gl taking chinese people to CN courts and actually winning!!

Yes master as you wish... I will pay the same money for the 6700k in 2018 as i did back in 2015 for I eat mud... I will not question the EULA for intel is law... please grace us with your wisdom oh great intel and bestow upon us more microcodes to fend off those sheeple talking about "consumer rights" and "moral decency"....amen

Bolivia.

Yeah, something is smelly 

2018 has been a real doozy for Intel. Makes me kinda sad that I have a Kaby Lake i7. 

Then again, it's a laptop, so it's not like I have much of a choice 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 hours ago, exetras said:

Intel released a Microcode Update, with it a new EULA. which has a mention that you are not allowed to publish benchmark. Its written pretty openly so that they could take down content they dont like.

If they continue this way, how long until a big class action lawsuit hits them?!

Can't be far...

And it would be interesting if Intel gets ordered to replace all the defective processors...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Okay, hear me out. How fucking spooked is Intel for them to just put that in the EULA?

They must of known it'll have a significant impact on performence to bother implementing a EULA in the first place. 

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Okay, hear me out. How fucking spooked is Intel for them to just put that in the EULA?

I don't understand why it'd be in there UNLESS they were scared of some shit coming out.

The only numbers I've seen (linked in OP or OP's source) showed some numbers Intel themselves published.

Those numbers coming from Intel means that the real workloads people use which aren't best case scenario will probably end up killing any advantage Hyper Threading had.

So worst case scenario we'll probably see same perf as if it had no hyper threading.

If so, this makes the 9700K 8C/8T sound a lot more plausible if Intel knew this all along.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, KendoSapion said:

Honestly until they cards release and reviews are out the damage from the new lone if cards is kinda unknown. Also it's good to note that the cards still sold out really fast. 

10 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

I have news:

Gamersnexus received that statement from intel O_O

https://www.gamersnexus.net/industry/3357-intel-statement-on-benchmark-clause

I think it's safe to guess LTT received it as well? o_o

EDIT: I jumped the gun here ,_,

Intel really seems to suck at listening to the community if they added that thing in the first place.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

My mother is a lawyer and she has talked about how UELA have little to no power. She says that alot of companies have EULAs that have part that would never hold up in court. At the end of the day this would be super illegal and wouldn't even make it to a court case. They would just throw out the case tbh. 

3 hours ago, Eroda said:

Yeah EULA don't have that kind of power. There are limitations on what can be in a EULA and what they can do and that would be way out of bounds. 

Intel Employee #1: Uh-oh, these test results aren't looking too good, what do we do?
Intel Employee #2: Oh shit... Umm... Let's not allow them to run the tests?
Intel Employee #1: GENIUS!

I am of course talking about when Intel pulled the Intel Power Gadget from their website that many people were using to assess the throttling on the Intel Core i9 in the Macbook Pro during the throttle issues last month.

... But I guess it applies here too.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450