Proton, Valve's rumoured "Linux compatibility" tool has been released into the Steam client!

pipnina
31 minutes ago, Drak3 said:
  1. Power users are a minority. A niche.
  2. When I say 'just need a browser,' it's a very literal statement. To the point where if Firefox could be installed as an OS, it'd serve this niche better than Linux.

1. Well yeah, I never said anything contrary that. It's still a lot of people though.

2. Well, Firefox can't be installed as an OS so I am not sure what you're trying to say. If Internet Explorer could be installed as an OS it would serve that "niche" better than Windows as well. I don't really get your point.

Anyway, Chromebooks, which is essentially just Chrome running on Linux, are extremely popular. They were the best selling laptops on Amazon for several years in a row, and even now they occupy several of the top spots in the best selling list.

I'd say that the majority of people don't need anything more than their browser these days. Considering how the group of people whose primary computing device is their smartphone has grown quite rapidly.

11 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

ah I see. Maybe one day soon.

since you have a nvidia card, just thought i'd ask -- how is performance under linux with it? I always hear good things about AMD and linux but never anything about nvidia.

I'm honestly still mostly scratching my head to get things running. Haven't played anything demanding yet. I'm going to reinstalling Ubuntu 18.04 soon to set things up from scratch since I know what I've been fucking up haha. I'll see what kind of numbers I can get. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

4 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Well MacOS uses metal now, OpenGL is there but not supported. I think the latest Wine I used was 3.7, but anything above 3.1 yielded much better performance. 

You're right. But Wine doesn't use Metal. Nor do most games on Steam that support MacOS. Wine uses OpenGL which has really limited performance under MacOS. Newer Wine versions do perform better on the CPU side, much better but the performance on the graphics side is still significantly worse on MacOS than Linux unless you use DXVK to take advantage of Metal/Vulkan.

46 minutes ago, Drak3 said:
  1. Power users are a minority. A niche.
  2. When I say 'just need a browser,' it's a very literal statement. To the point where if Firefox could be installed as an OS, it'd serve this niche better than Linux.

Power users are a minority. Yes.

"Just need a browser" in the literal sense is probably close to 60-70% of users though. As in they'd be totally 100% fine with just old ChromeOS before it had support for Android/Linux programs.

20 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

doesn't BF1 have that denuvo DRM thing? It likely wouldn't work because of that anyway

vv

19 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

There is a Lutris profile for BF1 so I guess not. AC:O has Denuvo DRM though.

Denuvo doesn't in itself block Wine support. There's some other stuff that games with Denuvo typically do that causes bugs but a lot of those got resolved with fixes that came in Wine 2.8. For the past year Codeweavers and Wine have been pounding through bugs that Denuvo has been exposing and several games with Denuvo now work.

Wow 4 pages on this thread and no talk of actually using it. Not surprised. I tried quake on lubuntu and it didn't work. Showed it was being available for proton... clicked to launch the game.. and nothing ever happened. Might try some other distros.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

14 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

So it's like an TouchWiz on top of Android? Are there any terminal commands I should know like installing an application?

Sudo apt-get install

sudo su

theres a bunch of handy console commands

i ill test this as soon as i get home, if all goes well bye bye windows

10 minutes ago, ltguy said:

Wow 4 pages on this thread and no talk of actually using it. Not surprised. I tried quake on ubuntu and it didn't work. Showed it was being available for proton... clicked to launch the game.. and nothing ever happened. Might try some other distros.

It's the middle of the work week lol. I was working all night just got home, and I'm sure many of the other Linux users here have been working/sleeping/busy.

Currently installing Steam and getting it set up. 

5 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

"Just need a browser" in the literal sense is probably close to 60-70% of users though.

No, it's not. Most users use more than literally just Chrome or Firefox on their system.

When I say literally just a browser, that means no file explorer, no photo apps, no music apps, no saving to the machine, no external storage support. Nothing beyond the browser and the most basic drivers that allow the browser to run.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

No, it's not. Most users use more than literally just Chrome or Firefox on their system.

When I say literally just a browser, that means no file explorer, no photo apps, no music apps, no saving to the machine, no external storage support. Nothing beyond the browser and the most basic drivers that allow the browser to run.

You do realize that the browser, at least in Chrome and Firefox's case, have literally all those things you said the user wouldn't have, right?

4 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

It's the middle of the work week lol. I was working all night just got home, and I'm sure many of the other Linux users here have been working/sleeping/busy.

Cool man. Hope it works for you. I like where valve is going with this.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

2 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

the thread started this morning for me, saw it on the bus on my way to work, 30 minutes to go before i head back home and test it

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

9 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Meh. Should have ported high traffic multiplayer games instead. Like CSGO, TF2, Dota2, other prominent MOBA and BR titles. Now that would send MS into a spiral of panic.

The former two have existed on Linux since 2013, TF2 got a specific cosmetic for it if you played it within a certain time period and the latter has supported it ever since launch.

TF2 actually does run really well on Linux, though, so Valve did a good job on that.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Sniperfox47 said:

You do realize that the browser, at least in Chrome and Firefox's case, have literally all those things you said the user wouldn't have, right?

No, they don't.

They piggy back off of utilities of the OS or use web 'apps.'

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

No, they don't.

They piggy back off of utilities of the OS or use web 'apps.'

*Facepalm* no the web apps use *them*.

And ChromeOS and FirefoxOS are both literally just a kernel, the few necessary tools for a browser to impliment it's sandbox, and then a browser... >.>

26 minutes ago, ltguy said:

Wow 4 pages on this thread and no talk of actually using it. Not surprised. I tried quake on lubuntu and it didn't work. Showed it was being available for proton... clicked to launch the game.. and nothing ever happened. Might try some other distros.

Star Wars: Battlefront 2, which is supported by the project at this moment, works just fine as it does on Windows. So does Simcity 4 Deluxe edition for whatever reason. The rest of the games that are on the list are ones I don't have at the moment. Gonna try another few games in the next coming days. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

On 8/22/2018 at 10:09 AM, Master Delta Chief said:

Star Wars: Battlefront 2, which is supported by the project at this moment, works just fine as it does on Windows. So does Simcity 4 Deluxe edition for whatever reason. The rest of the games that are on the list are ones I don't have at the moment. Gonna try another few games in the next coming days. 

Didnt even notice sim city on the list... sweet!

On 8/22/2018 at 9:57 AM, suicidalfranco said:

the thread started this morning for me, saw it on the bus on my way to work, 30 minutes to go before i head back home and test it

Good luck!

Lol never expected Doom and doki doki in the same list :D

I am happy they do this and totally expect L1 to do a LOT with this.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

28 minutes ago, ltguy said:

Didnt even notice sim city on the list... sweet!

It actually isn't on the list. I just tried like a few random games and then eventually came to SimCity and it worked.

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

9 minutes ago, Master Delta Chief said:

It actually isn't on the list. I just tried like a few random games and then eventually came to SimCity and it worked.

Now someone has to compile the list of games that work but aren't official supported. Exciting.

I'm installing DOOM (2016) now. I'll update this post once I've run a few tests.

2 hours ago, ltguy said:

1 hour ago, Master Delta Chief said:

It might be worth bearing in mind that this feature is still in beta, and is likely very complicated. Hopefully by the time it gets to the main client it will work better.

My experience is that games with .NET launchers (or .NET components) won't work (possibly Proton does not yet have the WINE mono package distributed with it), DOOM worked for me until I changed my graphics driver to the recommended version, then it started displaying in a 50x30 pixel window. Crazy Taxi works fine, Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed works (provided you don't need the .NET configuration utility), Skyrim works perfectly (Including launcher).

Not tested everything yet, but I'm running out of space on my poor 1TB drive now.

Certainly it's interesting how this differs from default wine so far. Some games perform similarly, some worse, some better. I can only presume that this will get better in time, but of course we don't know what Valve knows or plans to work on yet.

EDIT: The DOOM window was resizable, it just changed itself to windowed mode. I managed to change it back.

2 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

You're right. But Wine doesn't use Metal. Nor do most games on Steam that support MacOS. Wine uses OpenGL which has really limited performance under MacOS. Newer Wine versions do perform better on the CPU side, much better but the performance on the graphics side is still significantly worse on MacOS than Linux unless you use DXVK to take advantage of Metal/Vulkan.

Not true and WINE uses a layer over metal. 

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

A huge portion of people could survive without a hitch with just a browser. Some of the apps they use other than browser are because the either there is no web version/web version is shit. 

Everyone pretends to be a power user but most I see dont use more than a browser

2 hours ago, Daiyus said:

I'm installing DOOM (2016) now. I'll update this post once I've run a few tests.

Well good luck, all i get is a fatal error:

Configured log listener print-redirect tags
Added structured log listener print-redirect
Added structured log listener mp-cloud-gobbler
2018-08-22T20:11:40.088+02:00 LOG: Process started
Added structured log listener aws-kinesis-logger
Winsock Initialized
------ Initializing File System ------
Current search path:
    - C:/users/steamuser/Saved Games/id Software/DOOM/base/
    - Z:/mnt/Games/Steam-Linux/steamapps/common/DOOM/base/
------ File System initialized.
------ Command Line ------
 Z:\mnt\Games\Steam-Linux\steamapps\common\DOOM\DOOMx64.exe
2018-08-22T20:11:40.092+02:00 LOG: Command Line: Z:\mnt\Games\Steam-Linux\steamapps\common\DOOM\DOOMx64.exe
------ CPU Information ------
    1 CPU package, 4 physical cores, 4 logical cores
    4500 MHz    Intel CPU with MMX & SSE & SSE2 & SSE3 & SSSE3 & SSE41 & SSE42 & AVX
    32768 kB 1st level cache, 262144 kB 2nd level cache, 6291456 kB 3rd level cache
    32112 MB System Memory
initializing resource container gameresources.resources
initializing resource container gameresources.patch
idLib::SetProduction( PROD_PRODUCTION )
------- Initializing renderSystem --------
PreliminaryRenderSetup
---registered window class
---registered fake window class
---registered context window class
X..WGL_EXT_swap_control_tear not found
unknown error: 0x578
FATAL ERROR: wglCreateContextAttribsARB failed
Dumped console text to C:\users\steamuser\Saved Games\id Software\DOOM\base\ErrorLog_08-22-2018__08-11-40pm.txt.

idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
Shutting down OpenGL subsystem

FATAL ERROR: wglCreateContextAttribsARB failed

20 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Well good luck, all i get is a fatal error:

What are your graphics card & driver, distro, time of install/experience of user? I could foresee this being due to driver problems if you are on nvidia and have not switched to 396 (the minimum requirement set by steam for this feature).