Soon you'll be able to charge your electric BMW wirelessly

Lenovo1984

Original Article: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/wireless-charging-here-your-electric-bmw

We've seen wireless charging before. Phones have been using the technology for a while now, and it's really convenient. Just set the phone on the charger, wait a while and you'll have power! BMW has introduced a new wireless charging pad that would allow users to park over the pad to begin charging. There would be no messing with cables and other nonsense. Who needs cables? 

bmw.PNG.eee07f2031678feb224a75db5d93ab43.PNG

car.PNG.776e0bd03dba1860643c5da96a94b1ec.PNG

BMW is releasing this technology for the 530e iPerformance, which charges in about 3.5 hours. The "GroudPad" uses magnetic fields when transferring energy to the "CarPad", the accessory that will be mounted on the underside of the vehicle. 

The system automatically shuts off when it recognises the car is fully charged, can be used in all weathers and won’t be damaged when you misalign and drive over the middle of it.

Production will start in July in Germany but will come to the UK and US at a later date, with the final set-up and installation configurations still being tested before it reaches our driveways. 

Looks interesting. I'd be interested in some real-world performance and ease of use testing once it's completely released. What do you think?

my first thought is wireless charging creates more heat and takes more power, and I can already see the wealth of lawsuits about batteries going bad faster due to wireless charging, or heaven forbid car batteries catching on fire

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

4 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

my first thought is wireless charging creates more heat and takes more power, and I can already see the wealth of lawsuits about batteries going bad faster due to wireless charging, or heaven forbid car batteries catching on fire

I'm glad they're making the effort. Without someone trying it and advancing the technology, it'll never get better.

This is how electric cars will really take off. When you can have these simply installed into the floors in apartment buildings, or your house, it takes away a great deal of the "downsides" of electric vehicles. Who knows, if it gets advanced enough in the not-so-distant future we might see strips of them placed at stop lights, helping charge as you wait for your turn to go.

I'm pretty sure it won't be unsafe. They can't just release something like that with known faults.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

yeah but if you are rich enough to drive and use one of these you probably wont care about a shorter lifespan. 

sort of like when I naively asked a multimillionaire if he was worried that the TV he mounted outside his beach house would die sooner. He gave me a funny look and said "I'll just get another one"

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

But... It's way less efficient than just using a plug-in style charger. Only the best for those who can afford it, I guess.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

8 minutes ago, dizmo said:

we might see strips of them placed at stop lights, helping charge as you wait for your turn to go.

Not gonna happen because this will mean the government will be paying for our trips partially, which means tax hikes

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

15 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

Not gonna happen because this will mean the government will be paying for our trips partially, which means tax hikes

Not necessarily. Also, who knows what the future will bring.

I'm sure if you asked people in the 70's, they wouldn't have thought we'd be carrying what to them would be super computers in our pockets, allowing access to the knowledge of the entire planet ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

91~93% efficiency is really wasteful?

I'm basing my opinion on this... if it's wrong then I'm gonna change my opinion but even if it's 99% as efficient as running it over a wire you're still wasting energy and on a large scale could add up to a meaningful amount.

20 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Not necessarily. Also, who knows what the future will bring.

I'm sure if you asked people in the 70's, they wouldn't have thought we'd be carrying what to them would be super computers in our pockets, allowing access to the knowledge of the entire planet ;)

I get your point about the future being different, but there's no population that collectively wants taxes to go up, past present or future. Money is going to stop your idea. It's a nice thought though, and I'd be all for it

34 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

but there's no population that collectively wants taxes to go up, past present or future

Hahahahahahahahaha....

hahahahaha

I can name 5 people off the top of my head that would gladly raise taxes just for something like that

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

10 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Hahahahahahahahaha....

hahahahaha

I can name 5 people off the top of my head that would gladly raise taxes just for something like that

5 people sure, and id be willing as well, but tell the whole population barely staying above or not even making it to the poverty line that their taxes will go up to help people with expensive cars afford charging pads on the road, see if you can get voted into office with that tax plan

On 9/6/2018 at 1:27 AM, Jtalk4456 said:

5 people sure, and id be willing as well, but tell the whole population barely staying above or not even making it to the poverty line that their taxes will go up to help people with expensive cars afford charging pads on the road, see if you can get voted into office with that tax plan

In belgium, the government gave high subsidies for people who wanted to install solar panels on the roof of their house. This measure was so popular that the government seriously underestimated the number of people who applied for these subsidies. Now there is a discussion about how they are going to pay all these subsidies... and one of the options is via taxes. Obviously, not everyone is happy with this idea of paying taxes for another ones solar panel (and thus also indirectly his energy).

3 hours ago, AntiTrust said:

yeah but if you are rich enough to drive and use one of these you probably wont care about a shorter lifespan. 

sort of like when I naively asked a multimillionaire if he was worried that the TV he mounted outside his beach house would die sooner. He gave me a funny look and said "I'll just get another one"

Wow lmao, i'd think a millionaire would care more about their money. I mean most rich people stay rich by not throwing money away.

The technology is cool that it can be implemented into car charging, but this car being a BMW the wireless charging would probably break.

2 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

That's exactly the point: WiTricity is based on magnetic resonance instead of magnetic induction (most phone chargers, for example). It's much more efficient (91~93% for cars) than induction charging (60~70% for phones, if perfectly aligned).

Are you wasting energy, when comparing to wires? Yes.

Does it reduce the amount of chargers and wires that are produced/transported/sold/discarded, polluting less and reducing costs? Yes.

Being a bit less efficient and saving up other costs on other stuff, that may add to something much greater, is worth.

A loss of 9% is still really wasteful instead of just plugging in a wire, but I don't see how a more complicated charging system that will probably fail sooner from things like being ran over a bunch of times will reduce costs.

Edited by Blademaster91

I've never used wireless charging, but I don't object to it. While it is less efficient, if it's being charged by solar, water or wind, does it really matter?

2 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

That's exactly the point: WiTricity is based on magnetic resonance instead of magnetic induction (most phone chargers, for example). It's much more efficient (91~93% for cars) than induction charging (60~70% for phones, if perfectly aligned).

Does it reduce the amount of chargers and wires that are produced/transported/sold/discarded, polluting less and reducing costs? Yes.

Being a bit less efficient and saving up other costs on other stuff, that may add to something much greater, is worth.

Forgive me for being uninformed, but if this is the case, why aren't phone chargers using magnetic resonance then?

On 6/9/2018 at 10:22 AM, Christophe Corazza said:

Wasn't Apple also working on an electric car?

I can't see having to buy a different wireless charger for every different brand of car.

Apple have had a few minor setbacks. The car is very hard to drive without Windows. 

Just kidding ;) They are still working on it. To my knowledge there is currently a universal electric chargers, so the public can use the free chargers in town, for example. I imagine this one either comes with the car or is more like a kit. 

I don't see the point. Still have to have the wireless charger plugged in. Save 2 seconds of your life, maybe?

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

in the future people will halt at STOP signs to receive free charging :ph34r:

Or you can get a car that runs on diesel for around 50 times cheaper and call it a day.

hi.

11 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

pretty sure you will still need a lot of copper to serve as a antenna, which means you will not be polluting less 

On 6/9/2018 at 8:40 AM, Jtalk4456 said:

I get your point about the future being different, but there's no population that collectively wants taxes to go up, past present or future. Money is going to stop your idea. It's a nice thought though, and I'd be all for it

20th century thinking about energy and money will stop the idea,  however 21st century thinking where resources are decentralized and financial wealth is not calculated in the same traditional way suggests other things are possible. 

I see batteries (or even whole electric cars for that matter) as a stop gap measure.  May as well enjoy wireless charging if it works.  Because with the rate technology is advancing it is not likely to have an impact so large that it will prevent other technologies or  ruin the environment any more.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.