Apple's (TSMC) 7-nanometer reportedly starts production

lavablade02

Article

Apple supplier TSMC has started mass production on the processors for this year's lineup of new iPhones, according to Bloomberg. The chip, which is expected to be called the A12, could be the first to use a 7-nanometer process in a commercial device, something the technology industry has been working toward for years.

Samsung announced today that it'll be ready to start producing 7nm chips at scale next year. The company has manufactured iPhone chips in the past and shared production with TSMC on the A9 chip in the iPhone 6S, but TSMC has been Apple's exclusive SoC partner ever since.

Apple is starting production on 7nm chips, meaning more transistor density, meaning higher performance iPhones incoming. This puts Apple ahead of the curve as Samsung is starting production for 7nm next year.

TL:DR: Apple is starting their 7nm chips.

Also, can someone explain how Apple can get 7nm and Intel can't get 10?

After reading the comments Intel is struggling for 10 because of the quality of their chips. Their 14nm is still better than 10nm from someone like Apple.

i5-8600k, MSI Z370-A Pro, 2x 8GB DDR4-3k, MSI Gaming X 1060, NZXT S340, 2TB HDD, 750w Corsair PSU, AOC 2775 OC'd to 80Hz and CFG73 at 144hz

Comic sans is the worst font

Check out my monitor overclocking guide

Basically other fabs make up their Xnm numbers.  Particularly whenever Intel announces anything you'll see TSMC do a press release saying some impossibly low number is sampling in [now + 1 quarter].  

So don't be surprised when "7nm" is worse than Intel's 14nm still for density.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

8 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Not all Xnm manufacturing processes are made equal.

Resultado de imagem para semiconductor manufacturing nodes comparison

4 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Basically other fabs make up their Xnm numbers.  Particularly whenever Intel announces anything you'll see TSMC do a press release saying some impossibly low number is sampling in [now + 1 quarter].  

according to what I found, Intel 10nm is about the same as TSMC 7nm, so wouldn't TSMC 7nm be better then Intels 14nm?

Intel, TSMC, GF

"10nm", "7nm", "7nm"

54nm, 54nm, 56nm

36nm, 40nm, 40nm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_nanometer#7_nm_process_nodes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_nanometer#10_nm_process_nodes

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

11 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

It needs to be explained much better than just an 'x' nm value.

9 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

From what I've seen TSMC and GloFo 7nm will be roughly equal, maybe a little worse than Intel 10nm density wise. Keep in mind though that 10nm is supposed to be like 2.7x more dense than 14nm...

It sounds to me though like GloFo and TSMC's 7nm transistors will be smaller than Intel 10nm's transistors, it's just they won't be packed as tightly.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Basically Apple does, what they always do.

They use fancy buzz words and numbers to attract the crowd.

Behind the curtain they offer less for more, but the crowd does not care, because BUZZ WORDS! (That and John Ivys voice, explaining how they reinvented the wheel yet again, just for your personal gain)

Title is clickbait. Apple isn't a Fab. TSMC is and they are starting 7nm from what your article says.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, lavablade02 said:

Apple has essentially infinitely more cash than Intel does

2 hours ago, Rattenmann said:

Behind the curtain they offer less for more, but the crowd does not care, because BUZZ WORDS! (That and John Ivys voice, explaining how they reinvented the wheel yet again, just for your personal gain)

So you are telling me that the A11 Bionic is “less for more”?

I would direct you to compare the best SoC Qualcomm has to offer, and compare it to the A11 Bionic. 

Apple is the industry leader of ARM SoCs

Bruh can we give Qualcomm a break? ?

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, Rattenmann said:

I don't think they will talk about their new phones packing a cpu with 7nm on the release events.. They will use A12 something and say stuff like it's {x}% faster than the older generation. And other stuff thats not telling a whole lot. Etc. 

@lavablade02 Please update your topic to meet the TN&R Guidelines.

I have adjusted your title for you to reflect more accurate the information discussed.

Missing;

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is. This needs to be MORE than just a quick, single comment to meet the posting guidelines.

Source;

When creating a thread in the News subforum, please make sure your post meets the following criteria:

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is. This needs to be MORE than just a quick, single comment to meet the posting guidelines.
  • Your thread must include a link to at least one reputable source. Most of the time, this should be a respected news site.
  • Your thread should also include quotes from the cited source(s). While you shouldn't just copy the entire article, your quote should give the reader a summary of the article in a way that gives the key details, but also leaves room for them to read the full article on the linked website. Please use quote tags to show that you have copied this content from another site.
  • The title of your thread must be relevant to the topic and should give a reader a good idea of the contents of the thread. Copying the title of the source is permitted but absolutely not required. It should be to the point and not be done in such a way as to mislead a reader, such as clickbait, etc.
  • If your article is about a product or some form of media, images are always appreciated, although they are not required.

Failure to comply may result in your thread being locked or removed without warning.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

This could indicate that the new iPhone will be iPhone 9 and not 8s if you think about it. 

If the phone released in September actually uses a A12 chip instead of a A11X chip.

Apple usually throw a A**X chip in the s models and keep the A** chip for new model numbers. And since they skipped a phone with A10X and went straight to A11 for the iPhone 8 my theory seems likely. 

Hopefully they will finally redesign the whole phone and not release yet another 6 lookalike. 

Intel generally has a very high standard for their processes. hence their 10nm struggle.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 minutes ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

If the phone released in September actually uses a A12 chip instead of a A11X chip.

Apple usually throw a A**X chip in the s models and keep the A** chip for new model numbers. And since they skipped a phone with A10X and went straight to A11 for the iPhone 8 my theory seems likely. 

The X slew of A processors are reserved for the iPad. The X refers to the same architecture but more clock speed and maybe a more powerful GPU. 

The iPhone always gets a whole number numb in the SoC naming scheme. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

7 minutes ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

This could indicate that the new iPhone will be iPhone 9 and not 8s if you think about it. 

Hopefully they will finally redesign the whole phone and not release yet another 6 lookalike. 

You mean like the iPhone X?  It's odd, you wrote as if the X didn't exist.

The current leaks (from multiple credible sources) have Apple releasing both a direct iPhone X sequel and a Plus model, as well as a direct replacement for the iPhone 8 that would use an X-style screen, just with an LCD instead of OLED and a single rear camera.

Also, Apple has never used an A-X processor in an iPhone; they're solely for iPads.

The bigger reason Intel hasn't gotten 10nm up to what they want is power. Intel (and AMD for that matter) is running their chips at something like 10-50x the power levels that mobile SoCs are allowed. Electron leakage is the biggest issue holding back efficiency as transistors get smaller and higher power dramatically increases leakage (at the same temperature).

Well really the metric of interest is power density, but still.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Since Apple is probably getting first dibs on 7nm here this probably means AMD and Nvidia will have to wait most likely right?

I mean I know it depends on Apple's volume but it's a new node and they have enough demand to put everybody else on wait.

-------

Current Rig

-------

8 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Since Apple is probably getting first dibs on 7nm here this probably means AMD and Nvidia will have to wait most likely right?

I mean I know it depends on Apple's volume but it's a new node and they have enough demand to put everybody else on wait.

I don't think that is how that works, but I might be wrong. If it is how that works Samsung wouldn't be making theirs next year.

i5-8600k, MSI Z370-A Pro, 2x 8GB DDR4-3k, MSI Gaming X 1060, NZXT S340, 2TB HDD, 750w Corsair PSU, AOC 2775 OC'd to 80Hz and CFG73 at 144hz

57 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

@lavablade02 Please update your topic to meet the TN&R Guidelines.

I have adjusted your title for you to reflect more accurate the information discussed.

Missing;

Source;

Fixed it.

28 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Apple's SoC is still quite small compared to the size of a GPU. So I would assume Apple wouldn't monopolize all 7nm production even given the large volumes that Apple needs (guess).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

51 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

The X slew of A processors are reserved for the iPad. The X refers to the same architecture but more clock speed and maybe a more powerful GPU. 

The iPhone always gets a whole number numb in the SoC naming scheme. 

45 minutes ago, Commodus said:

You mean like the iPhone X?  It's odd, you wrote as if the X didn't exist.

The current leaks (from multiple credible sources) have Apple releasing both a direct iPhone X sequel and a Plus model, as well as a direct replacement for the iPhone 8 that would use an X-style screen, just with an LCD instead of OLED and a single rear camera.

Also, Apple has never used an A-X processor in an iPhone; they're solely for iPads.

Dammit. You are correct and I'm stupid. I blame allergies combined with a man cold from hell. Sorry about that. 

I left out the iPhone X because the X uses the same chip as the 8. My theory (which happened to be bs and should be purged with fire.) was simply going by chip numbers and the more traditional iPhone numbers. If they refresh the X it will most likely have the A12 chip just like the iPhone 9/ 8s or whatever they wanna call it. 

1 hour ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

A__X chips are used exclusively in full sized (9.7" or larger) iPads and in iMac Pro (as a security co-processor)

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 hours ago, lavablade02 said:

After reading the comments Intel is struggling for 10 because of the quality of their chips. Their 14nm is still better than 10nm from someone like Apple.

its because intel needs to produce much bigger chips on their node so yields need to be better for it to be profitable, which means that even if tsmc's yields were as bad as intels they might still be able to produce chips (probably are beter)

This will be great to see how much improvement is on this node. Also give time until yields mature for desktop chips.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

You can probably fit quite a few apple SOCs in the areas around GPUs as they are huge in comparison. I don't know if any fabs do this however. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

At the rate they are releasing for 10nm chips everybody would have made 7nm chips already refined twice