Apple now powered by 100% renewable energy

Go to solution Solved by Commodus,

It's funny to see people getting angry because Apple is using credits and offsets.  Yeah, you could argue that it's the corporate equivalent of a clickbait headline, but that's still more than many companies do.  What's the eco track record for your custom gaming rig? (And that's not meant to dunk on your rig, just to make you think about the companies involved in it.)

I'm reminded more than a little of the people who swore they'd never use Apple gear because it was made by people working in rough conditions, only to buy a Windows PC made in identical conditions, an Xbox made in identical conditions, an Android phone made in identical conditions... it's less about actual concern and more about perpetuating platform wars.

Just now, johnukguy said:

when they're still treating their workers like garbage.

What recent data do you have on that?

Also you do know that Apple does not employ factory workers in China and the fact that those countries can exist is more telling of the Chinese gov't than it is Apple. They investigate factories that do and take action accordingly. There are all kinds of stories on this. 

But I guess you've made up your mind. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Also you do know that Apple does not employ factory workers in China and the fact that those countries can exist is more telling of the Chinese gov't than it is Apple. They investigate factories that do and take action accordingly. There are all kinds of stories on this. 

Except that they do indeed employ these workers, through Foxconn and other companies. Just because they contract the work out doesn't make them any the less liable. Why do you not know these things and why are you defending such a terrible company?

Just now, johnukguy said:

Just because they contract the work out doesn't make them any the less liable

It actually does. It kinda removes them from liability actually. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

13 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yes they are always fluctuating, but for longer than would be expected it is heating up more than it is cooling. 

Not by that chart... what I am trying to say is we have no idea what is causing it, Earth's climate is far too complex for us to fully grasp. To fully understand it we would need a time machine and a computer far more powerful than we can even imagine. We don't even know for certain that CO2 is the cause, it is all one of our many theories on the matter. Until we know enough to predict the weather down to the smallest and most insignificant raindrop a year from now, I got other things to worry about. Because China has killed 20 million people since 2005 whom have committed no serious crime, except meditating and other harmless religious practices, for organs for high ranking officials, Nestle still has labor issues, and etc.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Pretty sure what they mean by this is:

They construct a equivalent amount of power generation needed to power everything, feed it into the power pool and take the amount they generate, no matter if what they took is renewable or not, and uses it.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

There was a CBC documentary 2 years ago, but I think that's a bit old

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

It actually does. It kinda removes them from liability actually. 

Not under any recognized international labour standards laws it doesn't, to which Apple are answerable in the EU and other jurisdictions. Again, why do you not know this and why are you defending such a shitty company?

1 minute ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Not by that chart... what I am trying to say is we have no idea what is causing it, Earth's climate is far too complex for us to fully grasp. To fully understand it we would need a time machine and a computer far more powerful than we can even imagine. We don't even know for certain that CO2 is the cause, it is all one of our many theories on the matter. Until we know enough to predict the weather down to the smallest and most insignificant raindrop a year from now, I got other things to worry about.

I'll stick with the 99.94% of climate scientists over your chart.

Just now, JDE said:

There was a CBC documentary 2 years ago, but I think that's a bit old

And since then he does not care what Apple has done to correct what was discovered. 

Legit post tho, good on Apple for this. All companies should def strive for cleaner energy use.

2 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

Again, why do you not know this and why are you defending such a shitty company?

Why do you not know the steps that Apple has taken since they discovered what their contractors were doing in terms of labor years ago? 

Also if you think Apple is the only one who has used child labor before......boy you have another thing coming. 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

I'll stick with the 99.94% of climate scientists over your chart.

I'll stick with this... they acknowledge that it exists but that is where the agreement ends. Yes it is warming but why and by how much?

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Now I have some channel super fun to watch.

1 minute ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

I'll stick with this... they acknowledge that it exists but that is where the agreement ends. Yes it is warming but why and by how much?

Oh boy, Prager U....

6 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Not by that chart... what I am trying to say is we have no idea what is causing it, Earth's climate is far too complex for us to fully grasp. To fully understand it we would need a time machine and a computer far more powerful than we can even imagine. We don't even know for certain that CO2 is the cause, it is all one of our many theories on the matter. Until we know enough to predict the weather down to the smallest and most insignificant raindrop a year from now, I got other things to worry about. Because China has killed 20 million people since 2005 whom have committed no serious crime, except meditating and other harmless religious practices, for organs for high ranking officials, Nestle still has labor issues, and etc.

The problem with temperature fluctuations isn’t the fact that they change. It’s the time frames involved. 

Historically, the type of increase we are seeing would happen over 10,000 years or 50,000 years. This gives the ecosystem and (more importantly) the organisms living there time to adjust to the changing climate. 

We are seeing those kinds of changes in 150 years. The shock of the massively sped up time frame is the largest risk to us. 

Besides, we can combat climate change while also doing other things like holding companies to task for poor labour standards. It’s not an “either-or” situation. We can do both. 

And we should. If climate change is fake, all we’ll do is make the environment cleaner. If climate change is real, we’ll save human society. 

Do you really want to take the chance that you’re wrong? I’d rather not. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, johnukguy said:

Not under any recognized international labour standards laws it doesn't, to which Apple are answerable in the EU and other jurisdictions. Again, why do you not know this and why are you defending such a shitty company?

Not to mention it makes them exempt from paying billions in taxes.

59 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

I haven't even watched that but its kinda obvious scientists would rather just agree on such a controversial subject then be attacked for finding anything even the slightest different and their reputation be ruined. I'm not saying climate change doesn't exist, however can you realistically get 99% of a group to agree on everything?  I knew this would turn into some climate debate lol.

55 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I’m curious how they can guarantee that things like the retail stores are using 100% renewable energy?

For example, the Apple Store in my community is in a mall. That mall presumably buys electricity from the local utility. 

That local utility gets its electricity from various sources, including nuclear, hydroelectric, wind, and natural gas. 

I wonder if they are signing contracts with the electricity utility company in which the utility “allocates” it’s clean energy to Apple (even though the clean electricity really goes into the grid and is part of a pool rather than an individual supply). 

They probably are rich enough to build their own power grid.

4 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

They do have their own grids. They have built on farms and let the cows have all the sun and grass they want by just building the panels a little bit higher than normal xD 

3 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

Oh they definitely are rich enough. And no doubt, they could afford to do so at cheaper rates. But that’s not likely to happen in Ontario ?. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

The problem with temperature fluctuations isn’t the fact that they change. It’s the time frames involved. 

Historically, the type of increase we are seeing would happen over 10,000 years or 50,000 years. This gives the ecosystem and (more importantly) the organisms living there time to adjust to the changing climate. 

We are seeing those kinds of changes in 150 years. The shock of the massively sped up time frame is the largest risk to us. 

Besides, we can combat climate change while also doing other things like holding companies to task for poor labour standards. It’s not an “either-or” situation. We can do both. 

And we should. If climate change is fake, all we’ll do is make the environment cleaner. If climate change is real, we’ll save human society. 

Do you really want to take the chance that you’re wrong? I’d rather not. 

In 40-60 "fossil fuels" will likely be inconvenient like wood burning anyway... esp. with tech like fusion power nearing profitable levels, and the prices of solar panels falling... (which are arguably more toxic for the environment, thing is coal and oil are much cleaner than they used to be, if you want to talk emissions talk to China whom has yet to implement such tech otherwise let tech take it's course and the world will probably be fine... 

Now as much as I like to talk to you fine fellows I have somewhere to be in six hours. Goodnight! :)

I'd rather let the private industry advance us into renewable energy instead of relying on government infused programs which would only spend billions of dollars that go to some random embezzler and not to renewable energy. If Apple and every other major company in the US become 100% renewable then normal households would only be the next step, especially if more companies make solar panel shingles for rooftops (mostly because I don't think Tesla will be able to make enough for a dog house with their current track record)

1 hour ago, Mooshi said:

Pffffthaaaaaaa~ Clean and Chinese factory sounds so bizarre in the same sentence.

That's Foxconn, and now you know how they are green, outsource all the power hungry manufacturing processes to a 3rd party.

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

Look, you can claim it isn't apple.

But Apple is the one outsourcing manufacturing to Foxconn (and others), who has the issues. Apple is the one claiming the moral high ground, as part of their marketing. Have you read their, Environmental policy, you'll see that it is just marketing fluff, and sentence after sentence, that sound pretty good, if you are gullable: i.e. "iMac consumes 97 percent less energy in sleep mode than the first generation." now lets look at this critically: it was all the manufacturers. intel's cpu's have gone from 65nm to 7/11nm and power has reduced accordingly. Screens manufactured by LG/Samsung have gone from (CRT if your counting the powerpc imacs) from LCD to LED etc etc.

https://images.apple.com/au/environment/pdf/Apple_Environmental_Responsibility_Report_2017.pdf

List goes on, their https://images.apple.com/au/supplier-responsibility/pdf/Apple_SR_2018_Progress_Report.pdf isn't any better, oh, 3m+ people have been educated on their rights. for people in Bangladesh that still means making cents per day and what i'd assume is daily beatings (if you need to install nets on your building because people are jumping off them, there is clearly a major issue).

If you claim the high ground, have 600 billion dollars in cash lying around, you announce your going to get robots to build all your crap going forward, or stop claiming the moral high ground.

1 hour ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Yes, yes, I know I meant that this issue isn't what it is pumped up to be. We have bigger problems, and Earth's temps are always fluctuating. Geological_Timescale_op_712x534.jpg

The thing you forget here is the type of enviroment that excisted during those temp rises. I dont know the details, but due to the rise of CO2 during those periods a lot of it got bound to the trees and the plants. Thats what we see today as oil. Since the CO2 level dropped the temps roughly followed. The bound carbon in Oil and gas is something our enviroment is going to have a hard time dealing with, not to mention the sun was actually colder back then. Not by a lot though. Again i dont know the details on the top of my head, so dont quote me on everything i say. There will probably be errors