Oracle releases Java 10.0 just 6 months after Java 9.0

AlTech

Oracle has officially released Java 10.0, the successor to Java 9.0 .

Java 10.0 contains some exciting new features. Many of which seem to address the biggest issues with Java, the JVM and garbage collector.

• Local variable type inference, to enhance the Java language to extend type inference to declarations of local variables with initializers.
  • Parallel full garbage collection for the G1 garbage collector, to improve worst-case latencies.
  • Application class-data sharing to optimize startup time and footprint. The existing Class-Data Sharing feature is extended so application classes can be placed in the shared archive.
  • An experimental just-in-time compiler, Graal, can be used on the Linux/x64 platform.
  • Docker awareness. When running on Linux systems, the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) will know if it is running in a Docker container. Container-specific information—the number of CPUs and total memory allocated to the container—will be extracted by the JVM instead of it querying the operating system. (The number of CPUs available to the Java process is calculated from specified sets, shares or quotas of processors.)
  • Three new JVM options, to give Docker container users greater control over system memory.
  • A bug fix to correct the attach mechanism when trying to attach from a host process to a Java process that is in a Docker container.
  • Shorter startup times for the jShell REPL tool, particularly when a start file with many snippets is in use.
  • New APIs to better enable creation of unmodifiable collections. The copyOf,Set.copyOf, and Map.copyOf methods create new collection instances from existing instances. New methods toUnmodifiableList, toUnmodifiableSet, and toUnmodifiableMap were added to the Collectors class in the Stream package, allowing the elements of a Stream to be collected into an unmodifiable collection.
  • A local-variable type inference, to enhance the language to extend type inference to local variables. The intent is to reduce the “ceremony” associated with coding while maintaining a commitment to static type safety.
  • A clean garbage collector interface to improve source-code isolation of different garbage collectors. The goals for this effort include better modularity for internal garbage collection code in the HotSpot virtual machine and making it easier to add a new garbage collector to HotSpot.
  • Parallel full garbage collection for the G1 garbage collector. The intent is to improve worst-case latencies by implementing parallelism.
  • Enabling HotSpot to allocate the object heap on an alternative memory device, such as an NVDIMM memory module, specified by the user. This feature envisions that future systems may have heterogeneous memory architectures.
  • Enabling the Grall Java-based just-in-time compiler to be used in an experimental fashion on the Linux/x64 platform.
  • Consolidation of the repositories of the JDK forest into a single repository, to streamline development. The code base until now has been broken into multiple repos, which can cause problems with source-code management.
  • Application class-data sharing, to reduce the footprint by sharing common class metadata across processes. Startup time is improved as well.
  • Thread-local handshakes, for executing a callback on threads without performing a global VM safepoint. Individual threads could be stopped instead of either all threads or no threads.
  • Provision of a default set of root certificate authority certificates in the JDK. The goal is to open-source root certificates in Oracle’s Java SE Root CA program to make OpenJDK builds more enticing to developers.

So yeah, cool beans. I totally didn't know this was released until I was installing Java JDK 9. Now I'll have JDK 8, 9, and 10 installed :P. Oh well....

j.PNG.ec9cf8825a972835033d37536818838a.PNG

Sources:

https://www.infoworld.com/article/3230507/java/java-jdk-10-what-new-features-to-expect-in-the-next-java.html

https://www.oracle.com/corporate/pressrelease/Java-10-032018.html

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

31 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

snip

Is this the language of an ancient alien civilization ? truly mesmerizing and cryptic

25 minutes ago, Ross Scarlet said:

*clap* still dont have a reason to install it though :D

Lol. Only reason I have it is cos Android Development and also cos two of my uni modules are on Java lol.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Nothing big, but good changes none the less. It seems odd to me that Oracle has switched to a 6 month release cycle though (which is what has happened), when Java 7 still seems to be around for some enterprise uses - some people just don't upgrade.

Java 9 has also reached end of life - it's not being supported concurrently with 10.

HTTP/2 203

I guess my only question is.... is java any less "slow"?

That's always been my biggest gripe with it... stuff that uses it is always so dog gone slow... and wasteful with resources.

*Cough* *cough* Think or Swim *cough*

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

That's always been my biggest gripe with it... stuff that uses it is always so dog gone slow... and wasteful with resources.

Also the tendency for it to go "Oh you have ram, I'll take it"... "Oh you needed some for the OS to function properly, oh well too late".

I'm still not fully patched from Java 90 that conveniently broke certain versions of Oracle's own EBS suite and looks like there's no point in me requesting IT to fix shit anyway since it would probably set me up with a fresh set of compatibility issues.

*sigh*

You might think this is hyperbole or anecdotal on my part but I think this is representative of your average Java experience: incompatibility and regressions, often with your own products up to an including Oracle's own ERP shit.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I guess this is a thing...that I probably won't see anyone use? I honestly used to loved Java and remember being excited for new releases, but Oracle makes me sad. And Java still being a monolith seems nuts compared to JavaScript where you can just paper over the bad parts and can go as light or heavy with libraries and frameworks as you want.

Web Developer and Java contractor

I still use Java 6 for some things :S

11 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Oracle has officially released Java 10.0, the successor to Java 9.0.

Whoa WTF?  I'm still on Java 8!  And why didn't I hear about 9 when it came out?!

"...just 6 months after Java 9.0"

Oracle, calm yourself!  You've been getting kinda hyperactive lately! xD 

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

Still won't upgrade because Modded Minecraft only support Java 8. 

Thanks but no thanks Oracle

3 hours ago, MimigaKing said:

Still won't upgrade because Modded Minecraft only support Java 8. 

Thanks but no thanks Oracle

Minecarft Java Edition has it's own version of Java installed which is updated independantly by Mojang.

19 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

*Cough* *cough* Think or Swim *cough*

Its funny how people hate java for no reason, if fact you hate because of bad developers who never learned to use java.

I learned java just recently(december till now) and i did all the possible mistakes allocating on update and other stupid shit. It imediately became very obvious you need to cache everything in java, thats why you lose performance. And in order to reduce memory usage you have to tune the JVM with certain options and you can reduce ram usage drastically.

By default which is what most developers do is not providing any tuned JVM parameters and you get something like 200mb ram cached by JVM even for smallest programs, when in fact they only use as much as other GC'ed languages 5-20MB the rest is just reserved JVM heap cache. Im not expert anyway, the hate is unjustified, i know Oracle aint the best company but neither is Microsoft with their crappy C# that cant be used outside windows properly, and .NET core which is useless without visual studio, and the terrible "using" import model of C# is cancer.

My main criticism of java is Oracle didnt update the language fast enough(now they are but very late), they only provide certain features to linux for server stuff and dont really care for the language as a desktop app development tool, the JDK's/JRE's dont merge, each version needs all files installed which creates bloatware if you use multiple versions, they dont provide any meaning of code hiding trough AOT binary compilation(currently there's experimental AOT for linux only bleh), they dont provide built in way of distributing a Java app with minimal runtime embedded so the user shouldnt have to install JRE which is stupid in 2018 they need to learn from Go lang. No good free profilers.

Any solutions to above problems that costs $ dont count.

I kind of understand why people hate it but its a good language for backend servers where most of the things i mentioned dont matter.