Folding Community Board

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

what framerate though? You set it to 60 and I can't see CSGO being that hard on the GPU, you did pause the CPU though right? You will be starving the slot most likely with only a 7700k 

i'm only doing GPU folding no CPU

I run at 1440p @ 165hz on my rig no frame limit

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

Just now, shaz2sxy said:

Limit your framerate to something like 120. You'll be pushing 200-300FPS which will tank your GPU. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Limit your framerate to something like 120. You'll be pushing 200-300FPS which will tank your GPU. 

but I NEED THE FRAMES FOR my PRO Skillzzz

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

7 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I've tried a few VR titles and the Witcher 3 on ultra settings and have yet to notice any difference in frame rates with a rx 5700 while simultaneously folding...I'm sure it's tanking my folding production though.

6 minutes ago, steelo said:

I've tried a few VR titles and the Witcher 3 on ultra settings and have yet to notice any difference in frame rates with a rx 5700 while simultaneously folding...I'm sure it's tanking my folding production though.

Yeah it didn't effect my fps but my ppd takes a hit 

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

4 hours ago, shaz2sxy said:

Playing CS:GO and making my PPD from 1.5m to 500k 😢

I cannot use my PC to play game while self isolating

That sounds like it's to do with the quick return bonus maybe? PPD drops away rapidly the longer the WU takes to complete.

I used to pause my WU's while playing BFV, and every time I restarted them they were down ~30% ppd 😭 Until the next WU, where it returned to normal as the WU was again being completed in the normal length of time. 

EDIT : Just realised I was stating the obvious... *sits back down*

3 minutes ago, shaz2sxy said:

Yeah it didn't effect my fps but my ppd takes a hit 

I just checked out my stats for the hour I played and yes, my ppd went down a bit...I only have a 60hz monitor and use freesync, so the witcher probably didn't kill my GPU too bad.

1 hour ago, shaz2sxy said:

Playing CS:GO and making my PPD from 1.5m to 500k 😢

I cannot use my PC to play game while self isolating

1 hour ago, shaz2sxy said:

Folding will affect your fps and your fps will affect PPD.

Default max fps for CS:GO was 300 as of 2015, and if I remember correctly, they moved it up to 500 now (not 100% about this).

But please, for my sanity's sake, use these two commands in launch options:

fps_max_menu 60 

You do not need a guy looking around in background being rendered @ 120 or more frames, I even limit it to 5 if I want CS:GO to run in background but not use much resources, but 60 is good enough to not hurt your eyes watching him glitch at 5 fps (which I do not mind personally).

fps_max 170

Usually, you'd put double of your Hz (165*2=330) but that is now becoming controversial as you do not need 480 fps for 240Hz monitor, so I'd recommend you to put it at 170 (5 above your refresh rate) so you are always near monitor refresh rate and your PPD is not affected as if you had fps cap at 300 or uncapped.

And you can always change it to whatever you want in console (it's same command as launch option).

I use 240Hz monitor for CS:GO so I limit my fps to 250 when I am folding, and when I am not folding, I limit it to 400.

Btw, lvl10 on faceit here ;)

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

23 minutes ago, Favebook said:

Folding will affect your fps and your fps will affect PPD.

Default max fps for CS:GO was 300 as of 2015, and if I remember correctly, they moved it up to 500 now (not 100% about this).

But please, for my sanity's sake, use these two commands in launch options:

fps_max_menu 60 

You do not need a guy looking around in background being rendered @ 120 or more frames, I even limit it to 5 if I want CS:GO to run in background but not use much resources, but 60 is good enough to not hurt your eyes watching him glitch at 5 fps (which I do not mind personally).

fps_max 170

Usually, you'd put double of your Hz (165*2=330) but that is now becoming controversial as you do not need 480 fps for 240Hz monitor, so I'd recommend you to put it at 170 (5 above your refresh rate) so you are always near monitor refresh rate and your PPD is not affected as if you had fps cap at 300 or uncapped.

And you can always change it to whatever you want in console (it's same command as launch option).

I use 240Hz monitor for CS:GO so I limit my fps to 250 when I am folding, and when I am not folding, I limit it to 400.

Btw, lvl10 on faceit here ;)

Thanks for the info 

Looks my cpu is working harder then my gpu lol

DSC_3717.JPG

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

13 minutes ago, shaz2sxy said:

Thanks for the info 

Looks my cpu is working harder then my gpu lol

That's usual. CS:GO is mostly CPU bound game, not that GPU demanding, but it can use a heck of a lot GPU resources if you do not limit it.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

Using my old laptop I hate for folding at home with a bit of optimized heat dissipation and airflow.

27686 point perday mehl

LaptopAsus x550v and why I hate it

• i7-6700hq 4c 8t  base 2.59ghz and of boost 3.5ghz (overheats) 
  • Gtx950m (not working and overheats).
  • 8gb ram.
  • 240gb cheap SSD.
  • Display 15.6" 1366x768 60hz with really bad viewing angles.
  • Ineffective cooling solution for 120w.
  • Horrible battery life 30min for gaming when the GPU worked and 45min when it didn't 3hours just normal office work and 4hours when underclocked and undervolted to around 1ghz (workable).
  • Has a loud coil whine (sounds like a dieing hard drive which it did had one point) which I get tinnitus form when working late hours.
  • Has a dark red letter font on black caps and no back lighting. The keytravel was ok but had a lot of wobble.
  • Had so much bloatware when I got it
  • Trackpad sucked ass always had to use a mouse had dead spots after a year
  • Started with windows 10 had to reinstall four times. Then used 4 to 5 Linux distros to finally switched to windows 10.
  • The first year. Two week in owning I had send it back for the power delivery frying took 4 weeks to get it back then the hard drive just spinning at Max rpm even after reinstalling windows got that replaced took 3weeks.
  • The second year warranty ran out and the laptop is barely used other and simple coding for School.(Got an AMD apu up and running )
  • The third year the charger died ( I think it had additional lithium ion  battery in the charger) didnt replace it untill the apu died then abandoned the laptop when I got a i5 2500 optiplex ssfx form factor and got a gt1030 4gb gddr5 end of that year (0.1% bottlenecking)
  • The forth year got built a ryzen 2600 and rx580  8gb dextop pc and started to under clock the laptop to 1ghz successfully and undervolted -500mv longest used battery life is about 4.5 to 4.7 hours

TLDR-  Only thing I have to say is that it was selling for $650 brand new from microcenter this lost my dad's trust in microcenter and lost mine in Asus, in making a shity laptop.

Ask me if I need anything to be clarifyed.

I wrote this 3 in the morning on a phone, so there is a lot of spelling, grammar and, punctual mistakes my bad.

IMG_20200401_013020018.jpg

@indu a real mans way to use a laptop

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

Finally, 10 million for the team.

Screenshot (115)_LI.jpg

Desktop 1 : Ryzen 5 3600 (O/C to 4Ghz all-core) | Gigabyte B450M-DS3H | 24GB DDR4-2400 Crucial(O/C to 2667) | GALAX RTX 2060 6GB | CoolerMaster MWE 650 Gold

Desktop 2 : i5 10400 | 32GB DDR4-3200(@ 2667Mhz) |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8 GB | Corsair CV450M

Laptop : ASUS ROG Strix G17 : i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660Ti 6GB(90W), 1TB NVMe SSD

Yoga 3 14 - i7-5500U, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 940M, 256GB SSD

sadly i'm a little late, but i finally have all my hardware up and folding 24/7 now.

watercooling the 2080Ti has not been easy. I originally got an ASUS strix card, but with waterblock that card was 2 millimeter (!!!!) too tall to fit in my server case. 

so i had to sell that one, and bought a blower Inno3D card instead, which fits perfectly.

@yaboistar what OC settings are you running on your lightning card again?

Howdy Folding World,

I have put all three PCs in my family onto folding duty as of yesterday, Friday 3 April. My gfx core-i3 running Win7, Louise's core-i5 running Win10 and Adam's Intel dual core e2200 (inherited from his late grandfather, Dr Louis Brugman) running Lubuntu.

Does anybody around here know if you can FOLD on your ANDROID phone... This is what Adam (9 years old) asked me this morning. We had some fun this morning guessing what the colours in the viewer represented before looking them up. We only really got carbon and hydrogen correct.

For anyone still looking for the colours:

http://jmol.sourceforge.net/jscolors/#Atoms

Happy folding and stay INSIDE ALREADY... (oh ja... this is a tech community... you probably haven't seen the sun in years :)  )

Love
Peter Butler

2 minutes ago, buttle007 said:

you probably haven't seen the sun in years

sadly, they pulled the android client a while ago

“In October 2017 we announced the open sourcing of the Folding@Home Android client developed by Sony.  We want to thank everyone who have contributed with CPU time. From the 16th of February 2018, it will no longer be possible to use the Folding@Home Android client from Sony.” – Håkan Jonsson, Principal Engineer Sony Mobile Communications.

We want to thank Sony Mobile for help to take the Android client from an idea to reality.
We are now working on an overhaul of the backend before we relaunch the Android client. At this stage we do not have a date for relaunch.
But we will keep you posted.

A new card just entered the fold!

IMG_20200404_163625.thumb.jpg.41ffb8699e47b3ea58c740745ccdd936.jpg

Yes lads, this right here is a whopping Radeon 5450. A card that in 2010 was considered low-end. At launch.

Let's see what she can do! 

Pulled some old servers (about 10 years) out of mothballs for this. Claims about +30000 points per day per server, but that depends on whether there are WUs available (which it looks to not be the case all the time).

folding.jpg

1 minute ago, RollinLower said:

could very well be. so far it hasn't recieved any WU's.

Look for a 192. address being assigned as a work server.  If it is, that's how they've been removing cards from getting WU's when the card is too old.

3 minutes ago, justpoet said:

Look for a 192. address being assigned as a work server.  If it is, that's how they've been removing cards from getting WU's when the card is too old.

yup, that seems to be the case. :(

kinda hoped i would see atleast something stupid like 1K PPD out of this thing.

back into the drawer of tech stuff i'll probably never use it goes!

I have received no WU's for 3 days now....

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

46 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

image.png.daf84a9d330a787a4ecf00caa9f7ddc7.png

my how the tables have turned

Funny.

46 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

okay, are you using Advanced control? if so, set the following flag in your slot settings

image.png.b8510df3a7390365903d4c1a983a71e0.png

now, restart your client

i'm having the best luck picking work units up on that flag. i get one within minutes rather than hours

Worked like a charm. Thanks 👍

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

14 hours ago, yaboistar said:

i'm having the best luck picking work units up on that flag. i get one within minutes rather than hours

13 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Worked like a charm. Thanks 👍

if you combine this flag with the "next-unit-percentage" flag and value "90", your client will start looking for a new WU when the one you are running is at 90%. 

that way the chances of back-to-back WU's increases enormously!

2 hours ago, yaboistar said:

how're you getting on with the 2080Ti? keep an eye out for p13879 it absolutely beat the crap out of my Lightning card and pinned it at 400W power consumption lol

Yeah 400W is probably a little too much for my low-tier 2080Ti card. So far it has been averaging about 3M PPD, sometimes as low as 1.5 and sometimes up to 3.6/4M.

Still fine-tuning this thing on the waterblok tough. Sitting at a max of 45C with the card and both CPU's pinned at 100% and the noctuas on the radiator at inaudible RPM's.