Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

if you want it, come get it...

Nah, see no use in keeping a wrecked A6 in my front yard nor are there parts I could use. Plus no way to trailer it back to cali. I could sell the parts off it if i was able to trailer it back.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

16 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Car stays outside too. See told you nothing rusts here. Not even Mazda’s lol

Sweet. Thing will live on forever if it doesn't get hit.

14 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Sweet. Thing will live on forever if it doesn't get hit.

With having to travel on death highway everyday I’m not sure what will happen

i stay off most of it and take the service road usually but there’s a small section I forced to drive on :/ 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I’m not ashamed to admit that I own three smarts, one of each generation! I also want to own more of them! The spotlights on the blue one are for an offroad project I haven’t yet finished. I still need a couple more parts.

I’m pretty sure when I’m 50, I’ll be like a crazy cat lady, only the cats are smarts.

I need to get a Manual one day though. I love rowing my own gears and none of my smarts can provide that.

CB6D15C5-B128-410E-9B6D-C8C3ECCE6E94.jpeg

Resident smart (car) fanatic and lover of trijet airliners. One day you'll probably see me on one of those "Hoarders" shows, only I'm buried under a pile of 50 smart cars.

Rigs (all named after aircraft )

- DC-10-60 (GTX 1060 Gaming Machine)
- Falcon 550TI (GTX 550 TI Fun ITX Build)

- Legacy 630 (Convertible Desktop/Laptop Experiment)

- A340-750 (Dual Xeon GTX 750 Sleeper)

16 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

With having to travel on death highway everyday I’m not sure what will happen

i stay off most of it and take the service road usually but there’s a small section I forced to drive on :/ 

Stay safe!

10 minutes ago, Ms Mercedes - Trijet Girl said:

I’m not ashamed to admit that I own three smarts, one of each generation! I also want to own more of them! The spotlights on the blue one are for an offroad project I haven’t yet finished. I still need a couple more parts.

I’m pretty sure when I’m 50, I’ll be like a crazy cat lady, only the cats are smarts.

I need to get a Manual one day though. I love rowing my own gears and none of my smarts can provide that.

Neat. Collecting them like a bag of skittles?

5 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Stay safe!

Neat. Collecting them like a bag of skittles?

Pretty much! I have to get the whole rainbow! A diesel, a convertible, maybe the roadster. ;)

That is if I don’t give into temptation, break the curse, and get a Boxster or some other sporty-but-not-terribly-fast car. :)

Resident smart (car) fanatic and lover of trijet airliners. One day you'll probably see me on one of those "Hoarders" shows, only I'm buried under a pile of 50 smart cars.

Rigs (all named after aircraft )

- DC-10-60 (GTX 1060 Gaming Machine)
- Falcon 550TI (GTX 550 TI Fun ITX Build)

- Legacy 630 (Convertible Desktop/Laptop Experiment)

- A340-750 (Dual Xeon GTX 750 Sleeper)

I need some help. I own a 2004 Mustang GT convertible with a failing alternator. Given the fact that I’m 17 I am obviously young, relatively dumb, and just about broke. This being said I have no idea what to look for in an alternator. I’m seeing prices range from $70-400USD and as most people I want to spend as little as possible and still get a reliable product. Can anyone help me find a new(at least new to me) alternator?? 

2004 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L convertible

81526868-D58B-4C52-A380-CE6581F424C5.jpeg

thoughts on me getting used control arms /for now/ ?

http://treasurecoastmiata.com/i-11654992-nb-front-lower-control-arm-99-05.html

I mean I trust treasurecoast... they are pretty well known. I know it wont be bad out of the box, but how long will it last is the question?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Why do you need new control arms?

because I'm not pressing in bushings on my own... been down that road before. it's just too much work without a press

and even then if you get one of those clamp-style ball joint presses either the stupid attachments end up being the wrong size or the area isn't big enough to fit the clamp in. I just rather not deal with it and just get replacement arms.

Concern is the clutch I now need to change... trying to find ways to save money since that's probably going to be $400...

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I wouldn't bother with used ones then. Wait til after the clutch to get some new ones. Either tubular or factory. Or see about having a shop press in some poly or delrin bushings

I dont see myself going with anything other than the OEM rubber bushings because I refuse to deal with the polyurethane squeaks I will inevitably get.

And the stiffer rubber ones from mazdaspeed are really expensive... so just no. The factory ones aren't bad anyway... when they aren't broken that is.

Spoiler

still trying to decide if I just want to get the "better" excedy clutch (basically same thing just stiffer pressure plate). or get the $400-after-shipping flyin miata unit which I know will be great... it's just expensive.

http://treasurecoastmiata.com/i-23168975-exedy-1-8-stage-1-racing-clutch-kit.html

https://www.flyinmiata.com/fm-level-1-clutch.html

or get something oddly cheap like one of these: http://treasurecoastmiata.com/i-23790149-94-05-1-8-mcleod-racing-street-tuner-clutch-stage-1.html

Spoiler

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

Twin disk drag clutch. Duh. 

smh

Spoiler

42 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

You can go to Autozone and get one with a lifetime warrenty. That way if it fails you can take it back and they'll give you a new one. 

When I looked at autozone online the cheapest one was $200. Is that typical for an alternator?

1 minute ago, patric_o said:

When I looked at autozone online the cheapest one was $200. Is that typical for an alternator?

seems pretty typical. here's one for my miata: https://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/alternator/duralast-alternator/729524_23521_0

fun fact: Miata voltage regulators are inside of the ECU. So if it fails you have to replace your car's ECU rather than just the alternator. That said... I've never heard of one failing so there's that..

Spoiler

52 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

You can go to Autozone and get one with a lifetime warrenty. That way if it fails you can take it back and they'll give you a new one. 

Did'nt you say not to touch autozone alternators with a long stick? I though they were bad quality.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Just now, terrytek said:

Did'nt you say not to touch autozone alternators with a long stick? I though they were bad quality.

IMO if it lasts at least 2 years, it's worth it. Depending on how hard it is to replace in your car though.

in our suburban it was right on top, so it was easy. that said we had a duralast one in there for 3 years and it was fine, and we sold the car recently with it so they don't seem /bad/

different ones for different cars probably do different things though.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

IMO if it lasts at least 2 years, it's worth it. Depending on how hard it is to replace in your car though.

in our suburban it was right on top, so it was easy. that said we had a duralast one in there for 3 years and it was fine, and we sold the car recently with it so they don't seem /bad/

different ones for different cars probably do different things though.

protege's is in the back next to the water pump, shoved near the firewall, not to bad. corolla's up front near the radiator, so it's got easy access. on van, god forbid you ever have to change that i literally can't see where it's located, and it's probably cramped too trying to get it out.

I just bought a 1962 SAAB 96 DE Luxe two-stroke, I'm so happy!

Spoiler

Saab_96.thumb.jpg.496cf3409f4ac59849a03b57287ce18a.jpg

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed

11 hours ago, Ms Mercedes - Trijet Girl said:

The newer one is kind of funky looking. I dig it. 
Drove a 4-2 convertible a long while back and its probably one of the most fun cars i've driven. 

Also loving the little U-haul xD

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

4 minutes ago, Oskar94a said:

I just bought a 1962 SAAB 96 DE Luxe two-stroke, I'm so happy!

Reveal hidden contents

Saab_96.thumb.jpg.496cf3409f4ac59849a03b57287ce18a.jpg

The cars behind it yours too?

Either way. Sweet old SAAB. Now wax it xD

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Love this thing so much

2 minutes ago, techswede said:

The cars behind it yours too?

Either way. Sweet old SAAB. Now wax it xD

Not yet, it's my father who owns them, I'm first in line to inherit both. One is a 1914 model T and the other one is a 1930 model A

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed

So much new blood in this thread. Makes me feel old xD 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads.