Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

6 hours ago, warmmilk said:

been waiting for you to catch me up...

whats with the idiot on the s2k stopping mid corner getting in Sasha's way?

Do you know what times the other 2 ran? did James beat Will's time?

That run was from one of the earlier days I think, probably just went off.

AFAIK Will still holds the track record but by less than a second now, at 1:23.775 from 2018.

C. Boersma - 1:35.209

S. Anis - 1:31.440

J. Houghton - 1:27.249

W. Au-Yeung - 1:25.077

^ I didn't even know Will was there??

image.thumb.png.d2e630639ea7cce38a49403e48104614.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

What do you guys think about this. I seen a 9-3 2.0T auto for about $2800 taxes induced with only 100k on it. The problem is one of the back windows is either sticky or the motor is going out, passenger door lock actuator is out and no ac and some clunking over bumps in the back maybe a sway bar link?

Versus a car with lets say 50-60k more miles on it but needs no work for the same price (+- a few hundred) 

like the idea of having lower miles but with the ac and all the work im not sure if its worth. I feel like this actually applies to a lot of used cars. 

3 minutes ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

What do you guys think about this. I seen a 9-3 2.0T auto for about $2800 taxes induced with only 100k on it. The problem is one of the back windows is either sticky or the motor is going out, passenger door lock actuator is out and no ac and some clunking over bumps in the back maybe a sway bar link?

Versus a car with lets say 50-60k more miles on it but needs no work for the same price (+- a few hundred) 

like the idea of having lower miles but with the ac and all the work im not sure if its worth. I feel like this actually applies to a lot of used cars. 

AC will be the most difficult thing to deal with really. Lots of GM cars from that time frame have the window and door lock issues. SaabCentral will be a great resource for those issues. I had a bit of a clunk in the suspension on my 9-3 (86K on it) and went through and replaced my shocks and springs and it solved the issue, (It could be something cheaper sometimes, just depends). But a 9-3 is a lot of car for the money. One thing to keep in mind is the 2.0t vs 2.0T designation, the large T means a larger turbo, and better power. If the badge is missing from the car there are a few other ways to tell the difference. The Big T cars tend to have body matched front lip, side skirts, and a rear lip like my 9-3 did from factory. 

I paid about 4K for my 9-3 with 68K on the clock and other than a few small issues here and there (More due to just dailying a car of it's age) it's been absolutely lovely. And I was happy with the price.

If you have photos of the car, (Or link to the ad) it could help a lot with figuring out what options it has and the like

One thing to remember if you go to drive it. The ignition is in the center of the car, behind the shifter, it catches everyone out the first time they get in a Saab. It seems all 9-3s after 2003 have a minor issue with the Fuel Level Sender. At full tank it will read empty more often than not, until you burn off 1/16th - 1/8th of a tank of fuel, and then it will read accurate the rest of the way to Empty. Doesn't change how the car will behave or anything like that, just something to keep in mind. Along with the need for premium fuel, 93 Octane is ideal, but the car will also still be happy on 91 octance

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

On 6/2/2019 at 11:47 AM, JokerProduction said:

1 piece wrapped my mirrors....  Way more work than it should be.

-snip-

Mirrors are a nightmare to wrap, and those came out great. Just due to the curvature of them. Looks great

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

2 hours ago, dcgreen2k said:

I would love to get this Celica, except it costs 17.5 thousand dollars...

The price is to be expected really. It's arguably the most desirable as far as specs, and the fact it is a Japanese Import. But JapaneseClassics sells cars in great condition from what I've seen between YouTubers buying cars from them (Most notably TommyFyeah and Ricer Miata) and a few friends that I personally have that have picked up cars from them. 

9 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Mirrors are a nightmare to wrap, and those came out great. Just due to the curvature of them. Looks great

869052_x600.jpg

May God have mercy on the soul of anyone who wraps E36 M3 mirrors.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

1 minute ago, Ross Siggers said:

May God have mercy on the soul of anyone who wraps E36 M3 mirrors.

OH lord. Yeah forget about that all together. Just buy some nice Carbon Fiber mirrors at that point?

12 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

AC will be the most difficult thing to deal with really. Lots of GM cars from that time frame have the window and door lock issues. SaabCentral will be a great resource for those issues. I had a bit of a clunk in the suspension on my 9-3 (86K on it) and went through and replaced my shocks and springs and it solved the issue, (It could be something cheaper sometimes, just depends). But a 9-3 is a lot of car for the money. One thing to keep in mind is the 2.0t vs 2.0T designation, the large T means a larger turbo, and better power. If the badge is missing from the car there are a few other ways to tell the difference. The Big T cars tend to have body matched front lip, side skirts, and a rear lip like my 9-3 did from factory. 

I paid about 4K for my 9-3 with 68K on the clock and other than a few small issues here and there (More due to just dailying a car of it's age) it's been absolutely lovely. And I was happy with the price.

If you have photos of the car, (Or link to the ad) it could help a lot with figuring out what options it has and the like

One thing to remember if you go to drive it. The ignition is in the center of the car, behind the shifter, it catches everyone out the first time they get in a Saab. It seems all 9-3s after 2003 have a minor issue with the Fuel Level Sender. At full tank it will read empty more often than not, until you burn off 1/16th - 1/8th of a tank of fuel, and then it will read accurate the rest of the way to Empty. Doesn't change how the car will behave or anything like that, just something to keep in mind. Along with the need for premium fuel, 93 Octane is ideal, but the car will also still be happy on 91 octance

It's a 2007 I actually have the vin: YS3FD49Y171146015

So do you think the lower miles are worth it even though it needs more work?

14 minutes ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

It's a 2007 I actually have the vin: YS3FD49Y171146015

So do you think the lower miles are worth it even though it needs more work?

I'd always go for a lower mileage car personally. Cleaner high mileage cars are always a gamble in my eyes, especially if you live somewhere with real winters and salted roads.

From doing a quick search on the Vin it looks like it is indeed a big T car with the B207R. If you ever wanted to get some power out of it you'd be in good shape.

I'd still recommend doing a carfax report or something of the like if you intend to purchase, just to try and find some history on the car and see if it has any demons in it's closet

It does look like it has a few nice options, with the nav headunit, and the 6 disc CD changer. HIDs, and the sunroof / moonroof. (At least going from a vin decoder)

4 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

That run was from one of the earlier days I think, probably just went off.

AFAIK Will still holds the track record but by less than a second now, at 1:23.775 from 2018.

C. Boersma - 1:35.209

S. Anis - 1:31.440

J. Houghton - 1:27.249

W. Au-Yeung - 1:25.077

^ I didn't even know Will was there??

image.thumb.png.d2e630639ea7cce38a49403e48104614.png

neither did I... there's nothing about it on his IG...  thats not like him

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Well, I'm back at looking at Protege5's again.

Also, don't tell me that they're gonna rust: I live in the South. It never snows. Ice barely gets on the roads. Trust me, my main issue would be keeping the cheap paint job maintained.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

10 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

The price is to be expected really. It's arguably the most desirable as far as specs, and the fact it is a Japanese Import. But JapaneseClassics sells cars in great condition from what I've seen between YouTubers buying cars from them (Most notably TommyFyeah and Ricer Miata) and a few friends that I personally have that have picked up cars from them. 

Those are crazy the prices you americans are paying for JDM cars.  I imported a bunch 6-10 years ago when all the cars where hitting the canadian 15 year old import rule.  My First JDM i picked up was a ST185 A-spec and paid 7500cad.  Then I bought two ST205s.  A bone stock white 95 with 70k KM and my modified 94 black WRC with 61k(which i have now wracked up to 141k).  Stock one was 6800 and the black was 7500.  Picked up a bone stock 74k 92 mr2 t-top for 3400.  Got another MR2 that only had 25k on it for 5500.  95 Evo III (rip) was 5800.  95 STI RA for 6300.  Although I did import these all myself so that cuts down any middle man and mark up.  Some I got cheaper because I was shipping multiples at a time which made shipping cheaper than using a RORO shipping method for a single car.

I guess most of the LOW km ones would of gone 10 years ago to us because 95k MILES is a shit ton for JDM vehicles.  That one you linked probably would of went for 7-9kcad here max at the time.  I love me the WRC riser blocks the car looks so odd without them.

53 minutes ago, JokerProduction said:

Those are crazy the prices you americans are paying for JDM cars.  I imported a bunch 6-10 years ago when all the cars where hitting the canadian 15 year old import rule.  My First JDM i picked up was a ST185 A-spec and paid 7500cad.  Then I bought two ST205s.  A bone stock white 95 with 70k KM and my modified 94 black WRC with 61k(which i have now wracked up to 141k).  Stock one was 6800 and the black was 7500.  Picked up a bone stock 74k 92 mr2 t-top for 3400.  Got another MR2 that only had 25k on it for 5500.  95 Evo III (rip) was 5800.  95 STI RA for 6300.  Although I did import these all myself so that cuts down any middle man and mark up.  Some I got cheaper because I was shipping multiples at a time which made shipping cheaper than using a RORO shipping method for a single car.

I guess most of the LOW km ones would of gone 10 years ago to us because 95k MILES is a shit ton for JDM vehicles.  That one you linked probably would of went for 7-9kcad here max at the time.  I love me the WRC riser blocks the car looks so odd without them.

I've had my eye on a Skyline sedan, preferably an R32 with the RB20DET. Can be had with less than 40K Miles on them for 8-14K depending on options, mods, and over all condition

But R32 GTRs are eclipsing 30-35K now, and a couple of the MotoRex R34s sold for 150-200K in the last year. Prices keep climbing and climbing, which I wouldn't have really expected in all honesty

Pulled out on 4 times in the space of about 15 minutes.... 

This is why people on motorbicycles think all car drivers are fucking morons 

You look right at me and yet still decide to continue, then when you're in my lane and I'm right up behind you, then you brake 

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

15 minutes ago, starcoaster said:

idk man i drive in london and the amount of rolling hairdryers i've had cut me up at junctions is getting close to triple digits in the last year. no matter how much room you try and give them they still wobble around like they're trying to go under your wheels.

Oh there's some absolute moons out there on bikes, especially in London; not saying we're all angels, but I think the ratio of plebs in car drivers is a lot greater than that of bikers 

(Places like London are littered with toss pots on scooters and sports bikes though, who, as you say, need the entire road when riding <10mph and look like they've just smashed 10 pints)

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

11 hours ago, JokerProduction said:

The US has been slowly losing it's car culture (people only want the exact same crossover in their brand of choice), and the ridiculous 25 year rule makes it really hard to import.

I'm pretty sure my purpose in life is to serve as a warning for others.

11 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

I've had my eye on a Skyline sedan, preferably an R32 with the RB20DET. Can be had with less than 40K Miles on them for 8-14K depending on options, mods, and over all condition

But R32 GTRs are eclipsing 30-35K now, and a couple of the MotoRex R34s sold for 150-200K in the last year. Prices keep climbing and climbing, which I wouldn't have really expected in all honesty

To think, only a couple years ago you could pick up R34 GTRs for £30k.

Now you're lucky to see them listed for less than £50k for rough ones

Hell even an R32 or 33 couldve been had for around £12k.

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

I think you can still get R32 GTS-T for like 11k, swap in a RB26 if you really want to. This guy at my work bought one for about that much with the help of a relative and even though its not a GTR they are still super cool and you can go months without seeing one on the road. We should be buying these instead of GTRs until the price falls again. Also import shops need to be more reliable too many of them have sketchy reviews even though their prices are okay. 

W

6/1/2019 at 5:09 PM, JoaoPRSousa said:

i

I can't clear the dumb quote....

Anyone know what this is? 14 Acura RLX wheel.

IMG_20190605_102641.jpg

5 hours ago, Blze001 said:

The US has been slowly losing it's car culture (people only want the exact same crossover in their brand of choice), and the ridiculous 25 year rule makes it really hard to import.

I'd disagree, I see interesting cars all the time.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Does anyone else hate random speed changes on freeways? There's this one section of freeway that is at 45mph, and it's always a PITA to slow down and interrupt the flow of traffic.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

4 hours ago, Bitter said:

W

-snip-

I can't help but think there's no way that's only for TPMS geez

But I honestly have no idea what it is... and you made me want to know xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 hours ago, arnavvr said:

Does anyone else hate random speed changes on freeways? There's this one section of freeway that is at 45mph, and it's always a PITA to slow down and interrupt the flow of traffic.

no, but I do hate people slowing down to 20 below the speed limit just because there is a police officer in the median. causes that rubber band effect that slows everyone down and def increases the chances of an accident...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 hours ago, Bitter said:

W

IMG_20190605_102641.jpg

I'm about 90% sure that is to stop the bead getting in the well when you have a blowout which will keep the tire on the rim.

Pete

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

no, but I do hate people slowing down to 20 below the speed limit just because there is a police officer in the median. causes that rubber band effect that slows everyone down and def increases the chances of an accident...

Those are the same people who will do 20 over when there’s no cops around.

Trust me, it happens way too often where I live.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.