Microsoft is bringing .NET to Browser based Web Apps with an Experimental Project

AlTech

Microsoft is bringing .NET to Browser based Web Apps with an experimental project called "Blazor".

Blazor uses C# as well as Razor and HTML to run in modern browsers using WebAssembly. This is the first time browser based web apps could be properly made with C#.

100% No Javascript required xD.

Why use .NET for browser apps?

Web development has improved in many ways over the years but building modern web applications still poses challenges. Using .NET in the browser offers many advantages that can help make web development easier and more productive:

• Stable and consistent: .NET offers standard APIs, tools, and build infrastructure across all .NET platforms that are stable, feature rich, and easy to use.
  • Modern innovative languages: .NET languages like C# and F# make programming a joy and keep getting better with innovative new language features.
  • Industry leading tools: The Visual Studio product family provides a great .NET development experience on Windows, Linux, and macOS.
  • Fast and scalable: .NET has a long history of performance, reliability, and security for web development on the server. Using .NET as a full-stack solution makes it easier to build fast, reliable and secure applications.

Blazor is based on existing web technologies like HTML and CSS, but you use C# and Razor syntax instead of JavaScript to build composable web UI. Note that it is not a way of deploying existing UWP or Xamarin mobile apps in the browser. To see what this looks like in action, check out Steve Sanderson’s prototype demo at NDC Oslo last year or his prototype demo for the ASP.NET Community Standup. You can also try out a simple live Blazor app running as a static site.

And of course this is enabled by a Mono .NET Runtime for WebAssembly.

Running .NET in the browser is made possible by WebAssembly, a new web standard for a “portable, size- and load-time-efficient format suitable for compilation to the web.” WebAssembly enables fundamentally new ways to write web apps. Code compiled to WebAssembly can run in any browser at native speeds. This is the foundational piece needed to build a .NET runtime that can run in the browser. No plugins or transpilation needed. You run normal .NET assemblies in the browser using a WebAssembly based .NET runtime.

Last August, our friends on Microsoft’s Xamarin team announced their plans to bring a .NET runtime (Mono) to the web using WebAssembly and have been making steady progress. The Blazor project builds on their work to create a rich client-side single page application framework written in .NET.

This seems really cool. The only thing is I'd like Microsoft to make something like Electron so that it could use this with .NET Standard 2.0 and Blazor instead of having to jump around hoops to get it to work with electron.

And the cherry on top of the cake is that this Blazor project is open source.

So yeah. Nice work :).

Source:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/webdev/2018/02/06/blazor-experimental-project/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Ooooo that's really nice! A good replacement for javascript has been needed for YEARS. 

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

Fuckin dark night theme

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

3 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Fuckin dark night theme

Soz . I tried just now to fix it but idk what's going on.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Let's just hope they've done extensive work on finding and patching any security issues with the dot net framework before this launches. I mean I know how bad Java was, but I'm trying to welcome new things and get rid of this stale coffee.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

Does this mean that we will have a new language every month instead of a new framework? xD

21 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

Let's just hope they've done extensive work on finding and patching any security issues with the dot net framework before this launches. I mean I know how bad Java was, but I'm trying to welcome new things and get rid of this stale coffee.

To be clear, they're not running .NET Framework in the browser. They're running .NET languages with a .NET Core related runtime in the browser.

10 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

To be clear, they're not running .NET Framework in the browser. They're running .NET languages with a .NET Core related runtime in the browser.

Does this mean I won't get a notification every time I go to a site that I need to update my .NET libraries?

I like using TypeScript with frameworks like Angular.

I wonder if this will become a trend maybe Oracle can follow with a Java version :P

Desktop

CPUi5-6600K MotherboardGigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 120M Black/white RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Gigabyte 1070 HDDs: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM  SSDSamsung EVO 850 500GB PSU: Coolermaster 550W 80+ Gold Case: NZXT S340 (White) with a white led strip ;)

Laptops

Dell 7577

CPUi7 7700HQ RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: GTX1060 Max-q HDD: 1TB 5400 RPM  SSDNVMe 512GB SCREEN: 4k IPS 15.6"

Macbook pro 2018

CPUi7 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Radeon Pro 555X 4GB Storage256GB SCREEN: 15"

1 hour ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

Ooooo that's really nice! A good replacement for javascript has been needed for YEARS. 

59 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Awww yisss! Get rid of Java script now!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2zDcg00EKLuasuGkFQFY

Just to be clear, that's not what this is.

That's what WASM (Web Assembly) is, which this is running on top of. WASM can be compiled from practically any language, so this looks like it's just a .NET C# JIT runtime, running in WASM.

And I really don't understand what people's problems with JavaScript are. In terms of language ideosyncracies it's not any worse than C#, and in terms of security you're going to have the exact same issues with WASM or .NET as you have with JavaScript...

37 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

And I really don't understand what people's problems with JavaScript are. In terms of language ideosyncracies it's not any worse than C#, and in terms of security you're going to have the exact same issues with WASM or .NET as you have with JavaScript...

Well I can name something that genuinely is a right pain in the ass, Java. Nothing is more annoying and terrifying than contemplating upgrading your java runtime because you just know that Java application you use for a critical service is going to break because something special was used or Java security gets changed and all you get is the Java sad face.

I won't name the application but even the software vendor recommends to never update Java beyond the included runtime redistribute that comes with the software, 100% hit rate of it breaking when upgrading just to see if it does so far. It's also not some janky software company either, it's the market leader in it's field.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Well I can name something that genuinely is a right pain in the ass, Java. Nothing is more annoying and terrifying than contemplating upgrading your java runtime because you just know that Java application you use for a critical service is going to break because something special was used or Java security gets changed and all you get is the Java sad face.

I won't name the application but even the software vendor recommends to never update Java beyond the included runtime redistribute that comes with the software, 100% hit rate of it breaking when upgrading just to see if it does so far. It's also not some janky software company either, it's the market leader in it's field.

Yes, but JavaScript is not Java. Beside the name "Java" in the name, and being both programming languages, they are not related. They are different languages.

2 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Does this mean I won't get a notification every time I go to a site that I need to update my .NET libraries?

yes. Website owners would be responsible for dealing with the .NET libraries used.

15 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Yes, but JavaScript is not Java. Beside the name "Java" in the name, and being both programming languages, they are not related. They are different languages.

Yup. JS is the unofficial name. The official technical name is ECMAScript.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that it's the PaperMF client.

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

~snip~

vv

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Based on the above is it safe to say that a big part of why JavaScript gets so much hate is because a ton of people have no effing clue what it is and just go "Everyone else hates it, so I guess it's bad!"

1 minute ago, Sniperfox47 said:

vv

Based on the above is it safe to say that a big part of why JavaScript gets so much hate is because a ton of people have no effing clue what it is and just go "Everyone else hates it, so I guess it's bad!"

I dislike Javascript because it's difficult to make classes and do OOP stuff. It doesn't use proper types instead opting exclusively for vars which is rather silly imho.

It's hard to make stuff multi-threaded in JS.

It's just not nearly as scalable as C# or other languages. It's just a real pain to deal with and frankly I'd use rather use almost any other language for web apps.

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

This is the first time browser based web apps could be properly made with C#.

"properly" ...right.. judging by their efforts to bring c# to iot im gonna stay ..lets say sceptical for now

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

12 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

"properly" ...right.. judging by their efforts to bring c# to iot im gonna stay ..lets say sceptical for now

C# can currently easily be run on IoT, servers, desktops & laptops & tablets & phones, Xbox Ones, HoloGraphic devices, Windows 10 Team devices (think SurfaceHub), Mac, Linux, IOS, Android etc.

Most Unity Games use C#. Most Windows 10 UWP apps use C#. Most Xbox Apps use C#.

C# has easily been able to run using ASP.NET (and ASP.NET Core) in browsers for use on Servers which host a service or product.

This is the key point: Prior to this, C# hadn't been ported to Web Apps for use on Client based systems. It was always for server based web systems.

C# is a very stable, reliable and performant language and isn't something I'd worry about being unstable.

11 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I dislike Javascript because it's difficult to make classes and do OOP stuff. It doesn't use proper types instead opting exclusively for vars which is rather silly imho.

It's hard to make stuff multi-threaded in JS.

It's just not nearly as scalable as C# or other languages. It's just a real pain to deal with and frankly I'd use rather use almost any other language for web apps.

If you hate it that much, you can just use bridge.NET or JSIL and compile your C# code to JS and never have to touch JS itself. Or use Pyjs if you don't want to be tied to Microsoft frameworks.

I get that JavaScript is not a crazy feature rich language and does have performance problems, but it has a purpose and it serves it. 

I understand it not being a primary language choice. I just don't understand some of the aggressive hate it gets.

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

C# can currently easily be run on IoT, servers, desktops & laptops & tablets & phones, Xbox Ones, HoloGraphic devices, Windows 10 Team devices (think SurfaceHub), Mac, Linux, IOS, Android etc.

Most Unity Games use C#. Most Windows 10 UWP apps use C#. Most Xbox Apps use C#.

C# has easily been able to run using ASP.NET (and ASP.NET Core) in browsers for use on Servers which host a service or product.

This is the key point: Prior to this, C# hadn't been ported to Web Apps for use on Client based systems. It was always for server based web systems.

C# is a very stable, reliable and performant language and isn't something I'd worry about being unstable.

well fine but it definitly depends on what one considers "properly". there still alot of issues with windows iot and UWP in that regard

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

7 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Because there is literally no reason to port it to a different language... Either just compile your .net code into JavaScript or into WASM. Why bother running the whole runtime framework on top of another VM.

2 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

well fine but it definitly depends on what one considers "properly". there still alot of issues with windows iot and UWP in that regard

Well yes but C# (the language) is not nearly the primary issue here.

Because there is literally no reason to port it to a different language

?

I'm very confused.

... Either just compile your .net code into JavaScript or into WASM. Why bother running the whole runtime framework on top of another VM.

What are you talking about lol?

I was saying that C# has been possible on Web Systems using native C# code (not transpiled or anything) but it was (and is) used for servers hosting websites etc.

Now it's going to be possible to use C# to build web apps running in browsers rather than just web services running on servers.

11 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

?

I'm very confused.

What are you talking about lol?

I was saying that C# has been possible on Web Systems using native C# code (not transpiled or anything) but it was (and is) used for servers hosting websites etc.

Now it's going to be possible to use C# to build web apps running in browsers rather than just web services running on servers.

You can already use C# the language to build web apps, even using 99% of .NET, as long as you use a bridge to convert it to JavaScript (I.e bridge.NET or JSIL).

What possible reason is there to run C# bytecode inside of a .NET runtime inside of a WASM VM... To save the little bit of extra code you'd need for jailing and platform specific code to compile it directly into WASM?

Also just want to point out that C# code, particularly that from .NET is *not* native code. It's an intermediate bytecode. C# is a garbage collected language, and in 99% of situations gets handled by a runtime on the host system (usually .NET or mono) which JITs it to native code and handles garbage collection.

P.S. also want to point out on the note of performance and stability that .NET garbage collection is one of the bigger reasons why Unity games have had such a terrible history with performance issues in the past...

4 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

You can already use C# the language to build web apps, even using 99% of .NET, as long as you use a bridge to convert it to JavaScript (I.e bridge.NET or JSIL).

You're assuming people go out of their way to use Javascript and worship it.

I can tell you from experience that JS is only used by a fair few people because they can't use a different language.

What possible reason is there to run C# bytecode inside of a .NET runtime inside of a WASM VM... To save the little bit of extra code you'd need for jailing and platform specific code to compile it directly into WASM?

Programming in C# is substantially more pleasant than JS. And besides it's probably gonna end up being more performant thanks to WASM.

Also just want to point out that C# code, particularly that from .NET is *not* native code. It's an intermediate bytecode. C# is a garbage collected language, and in 99% of situations gets handled by a runtime on the host system (usually .NET or mono) which JITs it to native code and handles garbage collection.

Well yes but I meant actual C# code and not transpiled code or something like that.

End user perspective: yay, another way to run stuff I probably didn't want. I know it is not good or evil, but how it is used can be. Will this enable more ways for advertising to be creative in getting your attention or otherwise extracting value?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible