Activision Blizzard adds 312 new skins to Overwatch to pay for e-Sports by milking customers using Micro-transactions

AlTech

Activision Blizzard, your favorite match making psychologically manipulative ex that you still can't get rid of, has added 312 new skins to Overwatch.

Can you guess why?

Oh right, Micro-transactions of course. It is suspected that this is to fund their upcoming eSports Tournaments.

The new Micro-transaction currency is called "League Tokens".

a5ec73a7-f72d-4205-a5e8-72a578759535.png

1 skin costs 100 Tokens.

So individual skin costs effectively between $2.60 USD per skin to $4.99 USD per skin (Depending on micro-transactions amounts.

To buy every skin in Overwatch using Tokens it would cost between  $129.97 (2600 Tokens + 400 Tokens + 200 Tokens) and $1556.88 (312 x 100 Tokens) USD

Ouch. That's definitely not pro-consumer.

It has been stated that 50% of the micro-transactions will go directly to the e-Sports teams

Every Day you login to Overwatch until February 13th you'll receive 100 Tokens.

Of course, as I've probably said many times. I would not give overwatch half the slack I do if it was Free To Play. If it was completely Free To Play this would be acceptable.

But Activision Blizzard are greedy snakes and want customers to pay for a game's own e-Sports league. Oh well....

Source:

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Disagree 100% with this post.

Just because they charge money for something does not make it anti consumer. They're additions to the game, and they have no effect on gameplay. 

I think this is a totally fair way to do micro transactions. The fact they added 312 skins is frankly insane. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

The only thing I don't like about it is converting real money to "tokens" to try and obscure how much you're spending. I've never liked that about in-game currency.

Every time you login to Overwatch until February 13th you'll receive 100 Tokens.

Did you miss a every day or is it EVERY TIME? In that case, just login and out 320 or 312 times *. It's around 10times a day. I've done far more time consuming and tedious stuff in WoW the last decade...

*the details in the post is a bit unclear on how many tokens I need

Nevermind. The OP is wrong. It's 100 token once if you login up until February 13th. 

To celebrate the launch of the league, each player who logs into Overwatch on PC, PlayStation, or Xbox One between now and February 13 will receive 100 free League Tokens—enough to get one Overwatch League team skin of your choice free. Each future team-skin purchase will require 100 League Tokens.

https://overwatchleague.com/en-us/news/21363697/team-skins-and-league-tokens-now-live

I like Jim Sterling, but hes really stretching here. Blizzard doesn't intend on you to buy all off the skins. The point of overwatch league is to be like an actual sports league. Most people are going to be a fan of one team, buy that teams skins, and thats all. Hardly anybody is going to buy every single one.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Paying for skins? Really dont care, your money, if you makes you happy go for it. 

What I have a problem with is mostly the cost. Skins are cool but useless and usually cost a few bucks which to me is too expensive. 

they said they were gonna do this a while ago also, you don't have to buy loot boxes they don't change the game in any game play aspect other then that one skins that turns hanzos ultimate white also if you have a favorite team you show your support of them and this is a cool way to do that. 

if people want to they can and if they don't want to they don't have to buy them I don't see an issue other then you getting a team you don't likes skins but thats it tbh

Edit

every time you get free tokens you log in that means sales will be low for a bit

actually I think blizzard has done the best way they can for this not to be scummy, If you dislike them as a brand or a company thats fine but this micro transactions method is pretty good.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

2 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

The only thing I don't like about it is converting real money to "tokens" to try and obscure how much you're spending. I've never liked that about in-game currency.

it's also so that when they implement loot boxes they can legally claim it is not gambling. Cos if you don't have a "premium currency" for your Loot box systems then it's technically gambling cos it uses real money or something like that.

Idek. It's crazy. But yeah you're definitely right on that.

6 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

snip

You can only get it in game for a limited time only.

6 minutes ago, dizmo said:

snip

Why should anybody playing Overwatch pay Activision to host an e-Sports tournament? They're a AAA publisher who can afford to pay for their own tournament. They pay for COD "e-Sports" tournaments just fine without dipping their fingers into Players wallets.

Also, this is probably a highly unpopular opinion but I really think e-Sports is just a stupid thing and is pointless. If theoretically I played Overwatch and wanted to buy a Skin, I'd feel unhappy that my money was going to funding something I don't even like.

As it is I don't play Overwatch for other reasons but this further cements it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

They have to make money somehow. Once you buy the game, all characters and maps, current and future, are/will be available to the user. Buying these skins are completely up to the user and they are purely cosmetic. 

Is it possible for you to make one news post without being biased and hating on one side? This is completely fine, has no effect on gameplay. This is also for eSports, which has teams. No one will buy every skin.

stop finding something to complain about

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700  

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070

MOBO: ASUS Z370-F STRIX  

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz

1 minute ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

They have to make money somehow.

I would really appreciate if Overwatch was Free To Play instead of the upfront cost.

Once you buy the game, all characters and maps, current and future, are available to the user. Buying these skins are completely up to the user and they are purely cosmetic. 

Again, the purely cosmetic argument falls apart because in games like Destiny or Overwatch a character's appearance is important to players and affects how the game is played to some extent.

Just now, EvilCat70 said:

This is completely fine, has no effect on gameplay.

See above. Again, invalid excuse imho.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

I would really appreciate if Overwatch was Free To Play instead of the upfront cost.

Again, the purely cosmetic argument falls apart because in games like Destiny or Overwatch a character's appearance is important to players and affects how the game is played to some extent.

Really? Please, you're having a laugh, right?

How the hell does cosmetic items affect how you play? I could play Overwatch with no skins, no sprays, no highlights or emotes and still be the same skill I am.

Wow, I thought 312 was a meme, that is WAY to many on one release.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

How the hell does cosmetic items affect how you play? I could play Overwatch with no skins, no sprays, no highlights or emotes and still be the same skill I am.

Admitedly this is more aimed towards Destiny. But looking good with a good skin is highly desirable in online games.

And online games try to exploit this.

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Then it would be more like League of Legends were you have to pay/grind for the characters AND the skins.

Riddle me this. If cosmetic items have no effect on someone's enjoyment of the game, then why do people buy them at all? They might as well stay on the vanilla skin and not spend as much money as people do on them.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

They have to make money somehow. Once you buy the game, all characters and maps, current and future, are available to the user. Buying these skins are completely up to the user and they are purely cosmetic. 

You said it here "Once you buy the game", Overwatch isn't LoL or Dota the price of overwatch isn't even near cs:go it's still damn expensive for a game that implemented lootboxes and microtransactions. Everyone said EA was bad for implementing is yet Blizzard can do this?

15 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Oh no, a developer adds cosmetic items to a game which you can either get from playing the game or pay for the ones you want! and not just that, if you go with the latter, 50% of the money goes towards esport teams instead of the developers!

If only this is a freemium game it wouldn't be a problem. It's still a €25 game, you can't justify that after paying €40 (full price) I'd have to pay another dime for some stupid cosmetic items.

Desktop

CPUi5-6600K MotherboardGigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 120M Black/white RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Gigabyte 1070 HDDs: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM  SSDSamsung EVO 850 500GB PSU: Coolermaster 550W 80+ Gold Case: NZXT S340 (White) with a white led strip ;)

Laptops

Dell 7577

CPUi7 7700HQ RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: GTX1060 Max-q HDD: 1TB 5400 RPM  SSDNVMe 512GB SCREEN: 4k IPS 15.6"

Macbook pro 2018

CPUi7 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Radeon Pro 555X 4GB Storage256GB SCREEN: 15"

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Why should anybody playing Overwatch pay Activision to host an e-Sports tournament? They're a AAA publisher who can afford to pay for their own tournament. They pay for COD "e-Sports" tournaments just fine without dipping their fingers into Players wallets.

To be taken more seriously because there needs to be one central spot for esports for each game and by making the Over watch League the place for Overwatch because other tournaments were all over the place and know you don't need to follow all these differnet leagues with differnet rules like ESL, APEX and etc

also they have made it easier for new players to join the league and get noticed by bigger teams with contenders 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Just now, Energycore said:

Riddle me this. If cosmetic items have no effect on someone's enjoyment of the game, then why do people buy them at all? They might as well stay on the vanilla skin and not spend as much money as people do on them.

More enjoyment =/= Advantage in the game. The original post is the same as every other whine about micro transactions. "It gives them an unfair advantage" and is "milking money"

Its nice to get a new, fancy skin but isn't required. I barely even look at my skin during game, that's how much it affects me. I could play the game for the rest of my life with zero cosmetic items and still have as much fun as I do now.

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Wow, I thought 312 was a meme, that is WAY to many on one release.

It's not that bad when you read into it imo. It's 26skins each for 12 teams. I find it very hard to believe that anyone would ever want all the skins for all the teams. Why would I want 26 Fnatic skins when I hate that team?