Activision Blizzard adds 312 new skins to Overwatch to pay for e-Sports by milking customers using Micro-transactions

AlTech
2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

If there is no need to get them or spend actual money at all then why even try? Are you telling me that these skins and such are so easy to get their entire effort was pointless and they'll manage to obtain close to no money for the intended purpose of the e-sports pool?

Well that seems wasteful and stupid, but I guess we'll see exactly how "easy to obtain" they were in the end and how much money gets put towards the e-sports things as a results. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being at least 500,000+ USD of "easy to obtain" skins people bought anyways.

There is a need in this thread to understand the difference between these new esports skins and normal skins.... 

I don't believe the new esports skins will come in loot boxes at all... you have to buy them with the 'esport coins'... which they gave you 100 for free, and you can pick (not random) which one you want to buy.

Separate system from the normal skins/loot boxes system.

=====================================================================

28 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Game Enjoyment is.

I understand what you're trying to say but it's a theoretical issue. It makes sense on paper and in a forum post in a thread about Blizzard making you pay real world currency for an in game item. As someone who actively plays the game and who is losing interest in the game. I have very little allegience to Blizzard and I don't think I'm biased towards them.

That issue doesn't exist. I have plenty of friends irl and over the internet that I play the game with. There's no social pressure to buy skins. I have watched a plethora of overwatch youtubers and their streams over the past year. That issue isn't present there. Especially at the rate, you can get skins and the odds of lootboxes that you can get them and/or get in game currency. Within about 25hr of playing I had enough in game currency by playing to get the skins I wanted for the characters I played most. Again, I totally see your point and understand it but it simply isn't a thing with this game.

2 minutes ago, Whispre said:

So I'm a 40 something gamer that has been gaming since before many on this forum were alive... and I don't see anything wrong with how Blizzard is doing things here.

I've been playing for quite a while, I'm level 150 something... and I've never paid a dime beyond what I paid to buy the game initially. 

In that time I've also received many new characters, maps, and game styles to play... for free.

As to the loot boxes.. I see them as rewards for playing more than anything else... and totally unnecessary though some skins are definitely desirable. My game play doesn't change based on skins or other cosmetics. I also see no reason to buy them... I mean I get several a week just from the easy and quick leveling, and another what... 9 or 10 a week from bonus's in the arcade? Any skin I really wanted I have bought from the in game money I get from the loot boxes I earn. I think  I must have opened over 300 free loot boxes by now, and 'purchased' at least half a dozen specific skins from the currency gained in those boxes.

I bought the game and I have the same characters, maps, weapons, abilities, etc. as every other player... and I get prizes just for playing! Whats wrong with that?

As to the new coin/skins for esports.... they just gave me a free skin... which I probably won't redeem because I don't care about esports. If people want to buy fan items for their teams... cool, nice feature.

Aregghh, don't start off with So, sound more millennial than 40 something.

Anyhoo, it's good you're not tempted to buy the skins, guess what.......not everyone is you. These skins are not aimed at you, no microtransactions are aimed at people like you. They're aimed at young kids with no sense of delayed gratification and adults with addictive personalities.

Drink, drugs and gambling laws exist. But not everyone who partakes in these activities are harmed by them, but some are, that's why the laws exist. Not exactly the same thing, for the time being, but legislation is on its way to this part of the gaming industry. That's not a good thing either.

5950 - 3090 - 32gb - Aorus FV43U - Steam Deck - Fuji xPro 3 - Olympus OM1 n

4 minutes ago, Whispre said:

Separate system from the normal skins/loot boxes system.

yeah, I think a lot of the people who are talking (both for and against) about this simply don' understand how Overwatch works. And because of that, they are bringing general arguments they saw in Battlefront and COD to this one. It doesn't work like that. Blizzard =/= Activitsion Blizzard. Overwatch =/= Battlefront or COD. They are different games and differnt systems and be treated as such

Just now, SCGazelle said:

yeah, I think a lot of the people who are talking (both for and against) about this simply don' understand how Overwatch works. And because of that, they are bringing general arguments they saw in Battlefront and COD to this one. It doesn't work like that. Blizzard =/= Activitsion Blizzard. Overwatch =/= Battlefront or COD. They are different games and differnt systems and be treated as such

Jesus, I've been gaming for about 35 years, I understand how Overwatch handles it's internal market, I just don't agree with you. It shouldn't be charging for this stuff.

Just now, SpriteNo5 said:

Anyhoo, it's good you're not tempted to buy the skins, guess what.......not everyone is you. These skins are not aimed at you, no microtransactions are aimed at people like you. They're aimed at young kids with no sense of delayed gratification and adults with addictive personalities.

Drink, drugs and gambling laws exist. But not everyone who partakes in these activities are harmed by them, but some are, that's why the laws exist. Not exactly the same thing, for the time being, but legislation is on its way to this part of the gaming industry. That's not a good thing either.

Don't start off with aregghh.... it's arrgghh!

Should I also say.. my 16 year old daughter is the same as me and has the same view? (we've discussed it)

Also... we can't legislate everything to keep people safe from themselves... literally cannot. People need to and should learn to manage their own urges, vices, and money. Drugs/Drink cause health and safety issues not just for the user but for those around them. Gambling... is not illegal everywhere (and I don't think it should be anywhere for adults). I don't think this is a fair comparison.

Finally, these skins are aimed at me... as a gamer and a user of the game/service.

Just now, SpriteNo5 said:

Jesus, I've been gaming for about 35 years, I understand how Overwatch handles it's internal market, I just don't agree with you. It shouldn't be charging for this stuff.

I didn't aim that at you. I aimed that at the general audience thats responding to this thread. I'm also not saying that there isn't an argument against loot boxes. I'm making an observation. 

1 minute ago, SpriteNo5 said:

They are not "charging" for normal skins... you can get them free... or you can choose to purchase them and get them quicker.

This esports game is different, and your fees go to supporting esports.... this is how sporting works... if you're a fan, you pay for jerseys etc.

Should we also start boycotting car manufacturers for selling us a car and then having the audacity to charge extra for all non standard colors? 

Yes cosmetics can be important to people but it doesn't give anyone an advantage and a lot of aesthetic changes cost extra in the real world.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

While this button exist it actually does:

image.png.e8e85249ad27eea5c0aea900faa447a7.png

Sorry but there's no way to excuse micro-transactions on a game you already have to pay for. You can't have it both ways both you and @LAwLz need to understand that: you're either free to play with cosmetic things as optional for microtransactions or you cover your costs with the actual game sales: No double dipping.

They have a developer team that spend time and money improving the game and adding additional maps and heros for free. They also spend time and money adding new cosmetic items to the game so it completely fair to have microtransactions for cosmetic items in order to pay for these expenses and keep developer support. I have a lot of fun playing overwatch and choose to pay into microtransactions not because I feel forced but because I really like what they are doing and want to support them. For the amount of time that I have played the game 40 dollars is a super good deal.

imo this thread should get locked. little progress is happening. For the most part, both sides are just repeating the same thing over and over again and are frustrating themselves and each other.

9 minutes ago, SpriteNo5 said:

You are basically saying that stores should stop selling stuff because people can have shopping addictions. Your logic just doesn't make sense to me. 

3 minutes ago, Whispre said:

Don't start off with aregghh.... it's arrgghh!

Should I also say.. my 16 year old daughter is the same as me and has the same view? (we've discussed it)

Also... we can't legislate everything to keep people safe from themselves... literally cannot. People need to and should learn to manage their own urges, vices, and money. Drugs/Drink cause health and safety issues not just for the user but for those around them. Gambling... is not illegal everywhere (and I don't think it should be anywhere for adults). I don't think this is a fair comparison.

Finally, these skins are aimed at me... as a gamer and a user of the game/service.

It's an onomatopoeic sound of exclamation, it exists in whatever form I hear it. Your daughter and you are not a good example group. There are people out there who can't control the urge to buy these things, same with gambling and drugs etc and governments are now considering bringing in laws to regulate in the same way they do for those other industries so it's an appropriate example to use.

We should care for those who can't care for themselves and not employ the attitude that 'it doesn't affect me so I don't care what it does to others'. I work with those affected by addiction, some people cannot cope and need help. We can either self regulate and ask companies not to do this crap or government will step in, I know what I'd prefer.

7 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

They have a developer team that spend time and money improving the game and adding additional maps and heros for free. They also spend time and money adding new cosmetic items to the game so it completely fair to have microtransactions for cosmetic items in order to pay for these expenses and keep developer support. I have a lot of fun playing overwatch and choose to pay into microtransactions not because I feel forced but because I really like what they are doing and want to support them. For the amount of time that I have played the game 40 dollars is a super good deal.

So this is basically a deferred payment DLC then? I think someone told me on this thread that one of the positives is that this game had no DLC but well, the way you put it maybe that's only partially true then.

-------

Current Rig

-------

14 minutes ago, Whispre said:

They are not "charging" for normal skins... you can get them free... or you can choose to purchase them and get them quicker.

This esports game is different, and your fees go to supporting esports.... this is how sporting works... if you're a fan, you pay for jerseys etc.

It is like buying the Bronze/Silver/Golden contributor badge here on this forum. You support LMG, you get the badge.

You support the esports scene, you get the skin.

I know it is not exactly the same thing since only 50% goes to the esports team. Blizzard/Activision still has 50% cut off that.

We could discuss this here all day and get nowhere because of very different opinions and conviction, that their are the right ones.

I still dont find this to be such big deal like the OP but I am not really saying that he is wrong, I dislike microtransactions as well but in some very rare cases like OW, I have no problem just to ignore them and move along since I dont find their way of handling it to be intrusive.

18 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

So this is basically a deferred payment DLC then? I think someone told me on this thread that one of the positives is that this game had no DLC but well, the way you put it maybe that's only partially true then.

Depends how you define DLC. Overwatch does have consistent seasonal events where Blizzard will add a new custom gamemode (does get removed at the end of the season but is usually there next season.), release respective skins and provide lootboxes that garuntee you an item from that event. These events are completely free, add tons of more content to the game each time and happen consistently 4 times a year. Skins are generally released in conjunction with events. These eSport skins are unrelated though.

EDIT: Also, they have released 3 new free heros that are just as valuable as the stock ones and their respective skins each year consistently and show no signs of stopping. They have been adding plenty of content and involvement since the games launch. imo lootboxes are actually a small part of the game.

Also they have been releasing new aspects and parts of the Overwatch storyline and background through in-game lore, animated shorts, comics and other methods consistently and in a meaningful way. Blizzard is doing a great job at keeping this game alive and providing content and involvement in more ways than just adding skins.

this is why I am fine with lootboxes in overwatch. Blizzard has shown incredible commitment to this game that I haven't seen in EA or Activision and I am fine with paid support for that

7 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

You are basically saying that stores shuld stop selling stuff because people can have shopping addictions. Your logic just doesn't make sense to me. 

Nope, primarily I'm arguing against the change in business model of mainstream gaming. There are nasty sided effects I also don't like. 

3 hours ago, SpriteNo5 said:

It's like comparing cancer to aids, they're both bad and one shouldn't be held up as an example to justify the other.

Okay but you obviously missed the point: One company has been doing it on one game for nearly 5 years at this point, and they fuck said game to the point where it "pressures" you to buy them so you don't have to grind for days to get one item that isn't some bullshit cosmetic crap.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

5 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

No it is not. You can accept it yourself but you cannot claim general acceptance. I do not accept it, I never have, I never fucking will. I doubt I am alone in this opinion: you're either free to play or you don't do fucking Microtransactions.

It's not unacceptable. You can refuse to accept it, but do not claim general nonacceptance. That was a little too easy.

Just because a game has an upfront cost, doesn't mean it's automatically evil to give people additional "content" at a charge, it just depends entirely on how it's done. It would be one thing if they were to sell a competitive edge for real money, I'd be in complete agreement with you, but selling team memorabilia for currency doesn't bother me in the slightest, especially when they offer free ways to earn said memorabilia. You get 100 tokens free, and you can receive additional tokens/rewards for watching the Overwatch League live on twitch. It offers an incentive for every party involved; the company hosting the event (monetary gain), the players participating in the event (getting a piece of that pie), and the players involved (getting in-game rewards to show their support for their team).

If you can prove to me beyond a reasonable doubt that selling cosmetic skins is hurting OW and it's player-base, I'll be more inclined to believe you. Until then, I'll be enjoying my competitive games full of DPS mains and zero communication. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I really wish more people would strike a balanced, nuanced view when it comes to charging for extra content.

We shouldn't give developers a free pass when it comes to charging for content, especially if it's more than cosmetic.  But at the same time, I'm tired of the entitled views of people like the OP, who cry "outrage!" the second any cosmetic item costs money in a game.

Yes, there's a degree of nickel-and-diming to charging a significant amount per skin for hundreds of skins.  But Blizzard isn't pushing hard on selling skins; it doesn't expect you to get more than maybe a fraction of them; and importantly, you're supporting the teams whose skins you buy.  It's funny how few of us raise moral objections to paying $5 per month to a Twitch streamer, but freak out at a one-time purchase that helps a whole e-sports team just because the reward is a single player skin.

This is the most benign form of Micro transactions. No effect on gameplay, no resale value (So no gambling). This happens in Counter- Strike, Dota, and Halo. This is a non issue... Like every post about Micro transactions.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

I don't see what the big deal is. You're not forced to buy skins. I guess I'm one of the people who just plays Overwatch, not giving a damn about what skin my guy has. Really? Grow up people. It's not like they're letting us buy Ults or something game breaking. 

5 hours ago, SCGazelle said:

yeah, i want to join this conversation because I know overwatch pretty well but its hard to figure out what's been said in which conversation between two people.

I'm going to try to explain the whole lootbox and in-game currency (may be more than you are interested or relevent to know, but important to know if you want to talk about it) in one post to clarify a couple misinformations I saw:

Each time you level up (depending on how much to play, but you can totally do it a couple of times a day) you get a loot box. Loot boxes can also be obtained by paying real world money. When you open a loot box, you get 4 random items ranging from in-game currancy to emotes to skins. Using the in-game currency, you can then buy individual emotes and skins but it can take a while to save up for a good skin. I have never bought a lootbox and have played about 120hr and have received about every skin that I wanted for each hero.

There is also another completely seperate in-game currency that you can ONLY get by playing the competitive gamemode and placing well in it. With it, you can buy a golden gun (basically a prestige item to show that you're good or have experience in the game) that makes the gun of your chosen hero look all shiny and cool. Again, you can NOT buy this with real world currency, you have to play competitive a lot to get it.

And then this week, Blizzard (not Activision-Blizzard) added a third currency that lets you buy the skins that you will see your overwatch league teams play with. Basically, its a custom skin themed after the team you choose and for the one hero you choose. Afaik, you can only buy these with real currency, but Blizzard "gifted" 1 free skin purchase to each player.

I saw some people think that they were giving players something each day for logging in. THEY ARE NOT. You do NOT get anything free for just logging in. That's misinformation.

Thanks for clearing that up :)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

I really wish more people would strike a balanced, nuanced view when it comes to charging for extra content.

I wish people would strike a balanced and nuanced view regarding anything these days. It's like people think the world is black and white in every single regard.

Either something is the greatest thing ever or worse than Hitler. Everything has to be put into one of two, and only two, categories, all the time.

Reminds me of this: