Activision Blizzard adds 312 new skins to Overwatch to pay for e-Sports by milking customers using Micro-transactions

AlTech
13 hours ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Okay but you obviously missed the point: One company has been doing it on one game for nearly 5 years at this point, and they fuck said game to the point where it "pressures" you to buy them so you don't have to grind for days to get one item that isn't some bullshit cosmetic crap.

I didn't miss the point, I just don't agree with you. All microtransactions, lootboxes etc are just as bad as each other because they all enable each other. That's why we have Battlefront 2 and Shadow of War cos they all took the piss, they saw overwatch, they saw GTA online they saw Horse Armour DLC and we end up where we are. 

Massive companies taking the piss and charging for stuff we used to get for free. They don't even need the money as admitted by EA stating that removal of lootboxes in BF2 would not hurt their bottom line. So it's just pure greed.

And the cherry on top is adding this blind gambling nonsense that adversely affects the young and those with addiction issues. Just sell your game for £45 and give all the content, rather than £25.

5950 - 3090 - 32gb - Aorus FV43U - Steam Deck - Fuji xPro 3 - Olympus OM1 n

15 minutes ago, xtroria said:

Guess what, you don't have to buy it if you don't want to. It's freaking cosmetics. Is this what the 2018 gaming community gonna be like? People whining about companies selling cosmetic skins when it has 0 effect on the gameplay other than trying to make your character looking more to your taste?

CS:GO has had this microtransaction for years and I've never really heard people complain about it. They've sold way more copies of CS:GO compared to overwatch because most people probably own multiple accounts of CS:GO. Guess what, they're trading knives that cost $200-500 and people are legit buying it. 

"Guess what, you don't have to buy it if you don't want to" well that is a great argument you can't dislike it because you are not obliged to use it.

My friends little brother finds having skins important and that's who they target with this the whales and kids who don't understand it.

As I said earlier some skins have very small advantages or disadvantages because of the visual difference (LoL has some of those, Dota 2 too).

I'm not whining about overwatch since I care not for the game I care for the future of games being one big microtransactionshitload in €60 games.

So I think Blizzard has not crossed the line where I worry overwatch will suffer from it, I fear what will come later, they keep pushing it further and further (EA takes the lead mostly) and that's why I can't say I'm for this kind of microtransactions.

Desktop

CPUi5-6600K MotherboardGigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 120M Black/white RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Gigabyte 1070 HDDs: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM  SSDSamsung EVO 850 500GB PSU: Coolermaster 550W 80+ Gold Case: NZXT S340 (White) with a white led strip ;)

Laptops

Dell 7577

CPUi7 7700HQ RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: GTX1060 Max-q HDD: 1TB 5400 RPM  SSDNVMe 512GB SCREEN: 4k IPS 15.6"

Macbook pro 2018

CPUi7 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Radeon Pro 555X 4GB Storage256GB SCREEN: 15"

8 hours ago, SpriteNo5 said:

They are harmful and addictive, and they are used to target mainly younger people. This is wrong. This is different from shopping, I don't buy a pair of jeans then have adverts popping up on promoting fancy new pockets or hem stitching. I don't buy a car and watch as the heads up display begs me to buy accessories for it. 

This is a sneaky underhanded tactic that encourages people to pay for stuff, that up until a few years ago, was included in the original purchase. I disagree with this changing of the structure of how games are sold to us and I resent the pyschology employed by these huge corporations to part idiots from their money. 

All it is advertisement. Again you can't protect people from everything and this is a very small thing. Also it shouldn't matter if you pages for the original game or not as the concept is still the same.